• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

rapid upload rants...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ventuz

V

ventuz

I dunno where to post my complaint but.. W..T..F Rambo, he uploading maps like rapidly. Page 1 map section, 10 out of 15 are rambo's map. Most of them are repeat.

Can't he test / play until it satisfied him then upload it? upgrade version come MUCH later, not upload every 1 minute.

ventuz

V

ventuz

How about limit uploading interval by 2 hours for each user? I can picture that he probly upload one, then find bug/want to add on something small then try upload again in 5 min later.. he can't. Then he go back to his map and fix/improve to the max, then upload 2 hour later.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
ventuz said:
How about limit uploading interval by 2 hours for each user? I can picture that he probly upload one, then find bug/want to add on something small then try upload again in 5 min later.. he can't. Then he go back to his map and fix/improve to the max, then upload 2 hour later.
sounds interesting, i like the idea somehow, and in this case i might seem like a good idea, though it could get annoying for those who've made great maps in the past and now want's to upload them, but they'll have to wait 2 hours until they can upload the other one.

anyway people should fully complete their map before uploading it.

Level 21
if there are obvious popular version keep them. however does this use much space on the FTP? how much space can we use? if there is a huge amount why not keep each version in a link beneath the newest version so if someone is looking for a specific version it is sitll available but if they want the most popular or newest one they can get it easily.

Level 36
there are much larger webspaces then that, and no it isn't expensive as I have talked to ralle about it before. its actually a really great deal he's getting on it because he gets a good chunk of space, a domain name, mySQL support etc etc for a good deal. if each map is at max 4 MB each, with 24 gigs we have nothing to worry about.

ventuz

V

ventuz

Ok instead of my "2 hour limit upload" idea. I just came up with different idea. Kind of like Newgrounds.com voting system, but backward and with a twist.

Map Immunity: No
Time Left: 30 days
Download left needed: 30

So the map will be uploaded, stay there for 30 days. When 30 days expire, check to see if download is more than 30, it stays. If Download is under 30, delete.

Map Immunity : Yes
Time Left: 30 days
Download left needed 15

Same idea from above but if it gain map immunity, it only need 15 download. In order to get "yes" to map immunity, they must describe what map do, their feature, etc in their "description from UPLOADER".. or come to forum to discuss about your map. Then admin / moderator come to the map and turn "yes" (make it doesn't affect downloaded count, what I mean is 25 left becomes 10 left)

I think that should help get rid of rapid upload of same kind of map. Like there's v1.0, v1.1, v1.2, v1.4.. people most likely download v1.4, and the rest will go byebye in 30 days.

Level 36
i don't think so. Really, if you upload your map, it does crappy, then you can try uploading it again after the 30 days is up. this would keep spammers and the like from just uploading maps, but it would also give people a chance who want to get their map out there. Even still, i guess if the map doesn't get 15 downloads in a month it isn't a good map... i like the idea though.

Level 21
i would say, 10 downloads or 30 days if it is another version of a map already on there. if it is the newest version it is kept and older versions are given 30 days/10 downloads to see if people still want them. unique maps should be kept whether they are downloaded or not because there is no telling when they may get popular or when someone might download it.

You want to have a large and wide map database, right? With these limitations you are kinda ruining that and discouraging people to upload their maps because maybe not 10 people download it in a month and it will get deleted (once the map goes away from the first page it will only be downloaded when people search for it mostly).

These limitation ideas suck, might be good for a flash site like newground but I dont think that it fits here, what would fit was some moderation in the maps area deleting bad maps and maps with several versions (you cannot delete or update your map btw, that is bugged, it tells you you are not the right user).

Level 36
hey, my map only had like 105 downloads when it was on the front page. now it isn't and it has over 200. i'm really not concerned that way, people still get an equal chance to have their map downloaded and if your map is up there for 30 whole freaking days and not 10 poor saps download it, then you have failed as a mapmaker and you should try again and start fresh with a new map.

Level 18
Look, for the latest version or the only version of the map keep it as now, any older versions can stay if they get over a certain number of downloads per month. That will mean the map database will have alot of maps, and only the latest/good versions will be kept!

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Shados said:
Look, for the latest version or the only version of the map keep it as now, any older versions can stay if they get over a certain number of downloads per month. That will mean the map database will have alot of maps, and only the latest/good versions will be kept!
but how should we be able to see which versions are the latest without doing it by hand?

Level 18
Ralle said:
Shados said:
but how should we be able to see which versions are the latest without doing it by hand?

Well I suppose you'd have to do it by hand, OR you could put in a section in the upload function for the uploader to say what version it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.