1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Vote for the best entries in the 13th Music Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Tower Defense] Random Walk TD

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by rulerofiron99, Apr 5, 2015.

1. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    A tower defense with a randomly generated path. Drawing inspiration from many different TDs (as well as maps/games from other genres), my aim is to maximise replayability while keeping it fun and balanced.

• Team/co-op for up to 6 players.
      • Can be played solo
      • If you add bots in lobby, you gain full control of them
    • 5 races to choose from (more to come)
      • Each race has 15-20 towers, including upgrades.
      • Many unique abilities, very few towers lack abilities.
      • Each race plays very differently
    • 5 difficulty levels
    • 3 modes for game length (25/40/infinite)
    • Difficulty is automatically adjusted based on path quality
    • Auto micro feature. Towers can be set to choose targets themselves using different behaviours, e.g. a cold or poison tower can be set to attack enemies that haven't been slowed or poisoned yet.
    • Hundreds of different creep types.
      • Levels 1-40 each has on average 3 variations
      • Level 41+ (infinite mode) picks a random creep type out of normal/fast/swarm/boss, ground/air, 5 armour types
    • Path is randomly generated each game, no 2 games will be the same.
      • All players' paths connect and lead to the same goal
    • Towers are well balanced. Value is determined by recording how much damage a tower will do on average to various wave types.
    • New trading system: giving gold has a transfer fee. This is to prevent the usual obvious way to beat team TDs - gold pooling.
    • Gold from kills and income is shared, no players will ever find themselves in a hole where they have 20% of their allies' value with no chance to climb up.
    Screenshots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FAQ:
    >Can you play it solo?
    Yes. You can play with any number of players (1-6).
    >When will it be released?
    "When it's ready". Core systems are about 90% done. I'll probably release it when that's at 100% and I've added another 2-3 races.
    >Need any help?
    Testing and suggestions are most welcome.
    Need an artist to make a good preview image and load screen.
    >Does it have AI/bots?
    No, and won't have for the foreseeable future.
    >Where can I get it?
    The latest version will always be attached to this post.
    >Why only 6 players?
    Terrain generator efficiency and balance. As I work on and improve the generator, I will increase the player count as much as possible.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  2. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I love this generator stuff. :D Will have an eye on your progress, good luck!

3. WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Resources:
    Resources:
    I greatly enjoy TDs.Ill test it and tell you what i think tomorrow

4. bethmachine

bethmachine

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well the map sounds intresting even though I may not enjoy td's, but I will test it out.
    Is there AI in this map?? Cause I find it difficult to find match on BNet.
    Anyhoo, I wish you good luck on your project and maybe improving the thread wouldn't hurt.

5. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the comments.

This map doesn't have AI, but it can be played solo.

6. Alright

Alright

Resources:
    Resources:
    Kids, chemicals are good for you. http://i.imgur.com/oS2JVmS.jpg

Second time try on normal difficulty, first try was me making towers way late in the maze before realizing it was too far from the spawn so I restarted and I got this nice maze path where enemies turn around with towers attacking you repeatedly... I guess I got lucky.

I also realized Chemical towers are toooooooooooo cost effective (being cheap and has an insane "stun" that makes your enemy walk back in its path... armor reduction is just a bonus), so I spammed it and got highly explosive results. I leaked two bosses on the same level before I realized chemical huts were good, and etc. I made up to 12 gold mines because I feel that's the most optimal number before you start to lose any gold after a while since making a 13th goldmine by 20-25th wave will actually net you in less gold than more.

Definitely a very fun TD game in progress! Will follow through with this map :)

7. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the feedback!

I do need to revisit the balance of all the towers, but I don't think the Chemical Merchant is quite as cost effective as you think. On normal you could spam pretty much anything and win.

8. WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well,i enjoyed this one.Ill post my review later today

9. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Teaser for the upcoming race:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsK_AZt7AfE

10. Quilnez

Quilnez

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    LOL that gate tower xD Creative idea :thumbs_up:

11. Molaf

Molaf

Resources:
    Resources:
    A quick feedback:

Easy Mode Gobelins
    -The path seems a bit messy it's difficult to know the right path until the units actualy reach your door.
    -It would be good to have an indication of the armor type of each wave to optimize your build. (maybe a -next command as in Legion TD)
    -in armor type: When you write the strenghts and weakness you should reverse the color. It's confusing to have the weakness in green and the strenghts in red. or just write it in another way.
    -I noticed that with the 25% chance to hit another target for the basics gobelins towers, you better build them apart otherwise they attack each other. Is it on purpose because they are gobelins and stupid or is it because you didn't fix it yet ? :p
    -maybe autocast icons for the chemicals mechant ?
    -Not enough availables upgrades to my taste.
    -reduce the size of the gold mines it's ugly when you have almost a field :p
    -rockets of the tinker are too overpowered against bosses. Also it would be good to have an icon to explain the ability on the turret itself.
    -you should have an assassin tower specialized against bosses, or have another tower that deals magical damages and balance the alchemist to make it as an assassin.
    -I built 7 gold mines before the level 15 and then it became way too easy. (just a few leaks at the beginning) To balance that maybe you should have only one gold mine that can be upgraded every 3 or 4 levels ... Just a thought
    -Need camera commands because I did the mistake to scroll and my camera got stuck closer than it was before.
    -I want critical strike !! :'(
    -Just to check I restarted the map bunch of times and it seems that my first path was very lucky. I think you could balance it by allowing a minimal distance between the starting point and the door. (I don't know how you did this thought)

Good job ! And good luck for the rest :p

12. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's what the arrows on the ground are for, to show you the path that the creeps will take. You should look at the whole path before deciding where to build. I'll increase the start preparation time a bit so that new players can have a nice look at it.

Will do!

The reason for the colour is that in all cases, green is good for the player, and red is bad for the creep. I might change it back to a more traditional scheme.

That's the point! When placed alone, they're actually pretty strong for their cost. The balance purpose of this is to make them weaker and weaker as the game progresses. PS: I intend to add a tower that will actually benefit from being attacked.

It does autocast, but I am planning to add autocast toggles.

Noted.

Start building at the corner of the map :p

That's the point. Tinkers are good against bosses, but sub-standard against normal, and bad against swarm. And goblin sorely needs a tower that's good against bosses, most of the rest of their towers are only good against swarm and normal.

The shadow race has a few towers that are good against bosses, and several builders will have anti-boss towers. The focus of goblin is not to have a lot of anti-boss (other than the Tinker), since it's meant to be a co-op game.

You're playing on easy! Rethink the gold mines when you've beaten it on veteran :p

There are commands, I just need to note them in the quests menu. You can type -info to show the commands.

There are things in place to balance out the map, but they need some further tweaking.
    They are:
    - The path distance has a minimum and maximum, so you'll likely have an average sized path.
    - The path's "quality" is determined by how many strong points there are (places where towers can hit two paths), and the creeps' health is adjusted according to this.

13. Molaf

Molaf

Resources:
    Resources:
    That's what the arrows on the ground are for, to show you the path that the creeps will take. You should look at the whole path before deciding where to build. I'll increase the start preparation time a bit so that new players can have a nice look at it.

I got this but as my path were all at the same spot, it was very very messy. So the arrows were all stuck together and it was impossible to clearly see the path.

also after playing I thought of something, maybe you could add some areas where you cant build at all even when its not on the path, some rocks or water spots. and it would be an option for higher difficulty.

Im gonna try in veteran next time ;p

14. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ah, I see what you mean. It's still possible to carefully study the arrows to see what will happen, but I will adjust the generator slightly to prevent such high density areas from being made.

Good idea about the unbuildable areas, I'll surely add those.

15. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    A random generated path for TD? Sounds very interesting! I'll play it when I get the time but first I'll just ask if its do-able alone?

16. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, I can beat it on veteran using any builders.

17. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ah great, that will make playing alone a worth while. :)

18. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Played it. Its a very fun and unique TD and for an early stage map I think it is already polished. I like the idea of the arrow point the direction of where the creeps will go the boards are also well set up and goblin race .\,,/.

I can't judge the tower's balance atm since I only played it once for now but I think they do their roles just like your usual towers on any TD map but I like that there is not much redundancies on tower's roles.

I also like that you do not exaggerate on tower's damage and creep's hp, I always think its weird that most td makers(at least for the TDs that I played) exaggerate on the numbers since it doesn't really help you estimate the amount of dps you throw there.

Since I only played it once atm does the path also get randomized every game? That will be very cool. :D

And also, are there really five difficulty? The game text only showed me three to choose from(easy, normal and hard).

19. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Indeed, every game is a new maze :)

The next two difficulties, -veteran and -insane, exist but aren't noted. The intention is to show the command to a player after successfully beating hard.

20. hiphop4eva

hiphop4eva

Resources:
    Resources:
    I always liked random generators. It allows a lot of replayability. I played only once, with goblins and on easy. It was pretty fun, going to play it again soon with shadows. That death gate thing is a good idea too.