1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Tower Defense] Random Walk TD

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by rulerofiron99, Apr 5, 2015.

1. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I will include hydra-type abilities, those won't be a problem.

EDIT: Won't be updating as soon as anticipated, I've encountered some rather fascinating trigger bugs.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  2. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Update 0.33
    - added new icons for auto micro
    - simplified path indicator arrow, moved arrows closer to the turn points
    - added ability for knife juggler
    - Soul Collector/Chiller now keeps damage after upgrade
    - changed a few icons
    - removed abilites from creep types, each wave now has a chance to have a random ability
    - fixed shadow gold mines getting souls even if the unit was killed by a Soul Collector
    - added Fortress race (made by Kino)

New race still needs to be balanced, and there will probably be some bugs.

3. Acutesharpness

Acutesharpness

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    GoGogogogo ruler!

4. bhusta

bhusta

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    New Race = Spam the Garnison :D

Edit: I build about 1050 garnisons with full promotions but the warlords didn't get a seeable damage boost.

5. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hehe, released that too quickly :p

Update 0.34
    - Fixed Warlord damage bonus
    - Added Ethereal ability for creeps
    - Added Blink ability for creeps
    - Rebalanced Fortress towers
    - Fixed Yurt's Nomad ability

Next up: slight automicro rework and new automicro options.

6. jopi

jopi

Resources:
    Resources:
    gonna test the changes tomorrow :)

I've had a chat with bhusta recently and we both are of the opinion, that the ballista of the city race is somewhat weak. While I still get it's purpose, I think the gold for it can be invested better in any other of the city-towers. That being said, I also think it does not really fit to the rest of the towers theme-wise. An idea I had was to replace the ballista by something like a 'bus-stop' tower (or carrige station).

Carrige Station
    Every Carrige Station has the ability to set a 'destination point', for balance those could only be
    other Carrige Sations (so you need at least two of them or you need an ally to work with you).

The Carrige Stations, as the name says, send out 'Carriges' moving at set speed to the
    destination point in a straight line (they have no collision and move through towers,
    still you want them to move over the path as much as you like, so the positioning would be quite
    similar to the Ballista's atm). Once the destination point is reached the Carrige moves back to the
    Carrige Station it came from. Only once the Carrige returns to it's starting point, a new one is sent
    out after some delay. This fact makes it, so the theoretically infinite range is coupled with dps
    anti-proportionally (long travel-distance --> low dps).
    While moving, the Carriges deal damage to creeps they pass through.

What do you think about this idea?

7. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the suggestion (and the honesty!)

I have two similar things planned already:
    - A tower with an attack that follows the path. Version 1: goes along the path on one of the 4 directions until it reaches non-path terrain. Version 2: goes along the path a set distance, following the waypoints.
    - A race based on the game OpenTTD, which will have buses and planes and such. More of a joke race, not sure if I'll ever get around to making it.

The ballista is with the city race since the race is heavily influenced by games like Stronghold, where it fits perfectly. But now that I think about it some more, the city race should be more about both structured and improvised defenses, as opposed to regular military gear.

Some options I might use to replace it:
    - Sewage system. Built on path, noxious fumes deal damage to ground units.
    - Fruit Stand/Granary/something that throws food.

While I probably won't be using the carriage tower, I'm still open to suggestions!

EDIT: Regarding the Ballista's balance, how do you usually use it? If you use it to attack ground along a line, it can be very valuable. The problem I've always had when using it is that the ideal spots are usually taken up by other towers, so perhaps a simple range buff would be good.

8. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Update 0.35
    - Creeps won't receive strong abilities early on in the game, e.g. Stun only becomes available at level 9
    - Fixed Garrison's Fortified passive (no longer gets stunned)
    - Fixed some creeps incorrectly having base armour
    - Added Speed bonus ability to creeps
    - Reworked Auto Micro into a menu button, still functions as before, added a few more auto micro options
    - New Shadow tower: Orb of Desecration
    - New Shadow tower: Sentry Ward
    - New Goblin tower: Airshipyard
    - New Goblin tower: Chemical Retailer
    - New City tower: The Nice Pavement
    - New City tower: Granary

9. bhusta

bhusta

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    New towers! :ogre_kawaii: :ogre_love:
    Going to test that after work.

10. wcity

wcity

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    what does shadow aura do?

11. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Increases damage to creeps by the first shadow tower. I intend to add more interactions with other shadow towers.

12. bhusta

bhusta

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    - New Shadow tower: Sentry Ward
    --> gives a lot of gold if you sell it

- New Goblin tower: Chemical Retailer
    --> doesn't autocast (I don't know if it is intended)

- New City tower: The Nice Pavement
    --> doesn't work with upgraded towers

- I encountered a problem with the new blink ability
    --> in some waves units doesn't teleport to the right path and run to the entrance again.

13. jopi

jopi

Resources:
    Resources:
    Also is it supposed to be that the upgraded Fortress 'recruit' - Tower (I'm nor sure but it's called 'veteran' I think) does not have the promotions? (neither keeps them nor can you upgrade them again.

Also it would be nice to somehow visualize the damage bonus the 'warlord' - Tower gets from all the Promotions.

'The Nice Pavement' apperently does not work for gates, even when I plat the Pavement under the whole gate. I'd suggest to not use the ground texture change, as sometimes it looks really ugly. I'd rather would either use a custom model or a WallEnd - doodad model, resized so it fits the grid and with negative height so only the tip shows up on the ground. Also I think it would be better to adjust the Nice Pavement to be buildable on the normal size grid. As it is now it's simply not practicable as often half of the Pavement just ends up on the creep path, unused.

14. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sentry ward - fixed
    Chemical retailer - need to fix
    Pavement - fixed
    Blink - fixed

Recruit - need to fix
    Warlord - will change
    Pavement for gates - fixed

The terrain change is there to make it look more like a city. A custom model IMO would look worse and might interfere badly with the path arrows. Normal size would be way too... "meh". Difficult placement adds to the decision making when you place it, small size would just be an auto-include for most towers instead of forcing you to play around its size with your base construction.

I think I'm going to go with your idea for the carriage (replacement for ballista). This will interact with the pavement change - it will have better distance or speed while travelling over pavement. Theme-wise, it will be a Marketplace that spawns a horse + cart. Not sure how exactly I want to do the movement yet. Maybe something like it goes to the closest path node, and goes a random direction from there, travelling for X seconds and then disappears.

Another point on the pavement size: I plan to change the terrain path generator shape a bit to make this more practical. The plan is to have rows and columns alternate between 1 space between paths (as it currently is) and 2 spaces. Heck, maybe even 3 spaces at some areas.

As always, thanks for the feedback and keep it coming!

15. jopi

jopi

Resources:
    Resources:
    ok thats reasonable, nice plans you have there.

One thing to note would be, that when the Nice Pavement is build on the creep path partially, you don't see it (the path stays the same, or in some cases disappears). If possible you could make it so, when partially built on path the gorund texture changes to a different ground tile, a 'different' Nice Pavement for the creeps.

Well, you could even have some kind of synergy between Marketplace and Granaries... like supplying them with food, ehm I mean ammunition.

16. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Update 0.36
    - Added end cinematic with game statistics
    - Fixed creeps' blink ability
    - Fixed several towers not having correct data - range, sell value
    - Chemical Retailer now has an additional anti-air attack
    - Changed Warlord's command damage bonus to show on its infocard
    - Replaced Ballista with Marketplace

I'm rather pleased with the Ballista's replacement, it might just be more hilarious than the gate :D

17. bhusta

bhusta

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Now the blink ability is extremly bugged :D
    Especially bosses tend to teleport to random locations the center of the map and are walking weird routes after that.

Atm I have no idea how to play the fortress race. The towers are too weak and there is no good interaction between the towers from my point of view.

I don't really get why the garnison is spell immune. Because of that this tower does not benefit from any buff. And the veteran tower is just redundant because the recruit tower seems to be stronger with promotions.

Also there are often waves which have the banished ability additionally to the announced ability and some spawns are banished multiple times which make them impossible to kill for races like fortress which don't have that much magic power.

18. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Could you please send me a replay/video of those blink bugs? I just checked again, works perfectly on my side.

Whoops, didn't catch that. Will fix.

Please send a video/screenshot/replay, I haven't been able to reproduce this.

Many creeps will get their ability off multiple times as it has a cooldown.

A useful strategy is to put a tier 1 tower a few seconds before your main defense to trigger off the ability early so that it's expired by the time it reaches your other towers.

It has a very strong income mechanic, mercenary is very good for its cost as a stop-gap defense, very long ranges on some towers give them great value. In my test run on the hard difficulty, I finished with ~25k value, more than twice I've achieved with any of the other races.

However the race is still a work-in-progress, need to add some more abilities and flesh out the synergies a bit.

EDIT: Found one bug with blink in that if you attack a creep with blink at the point where one player's path merges with another, it will go to the start of the other player's path.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  19. jopi

jopi

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well fortress is pretty easy once you figure it out:

build a early recruit and a fire camp --> upgrade the fire camp (it's cheaper than you think) --> build more recruits --> start to upgrade the attack speed Promotion --> build a optional quarter master --> once you are rather stable start to upgrade the gold generating Promotion --> profit + win

20. bhusta

bhusta

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I attached a replay.

The buggyness starts at level 20 and continues in level 22 and 29.

Level 20 is a boss blink level and 29 a swarm blink level.
    Level 22 is a banished level. What I meant with multiple usage of the ability is that some units have no cooldown on it.

Attached Files: