1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 13th Music Contest Poll is up! Vote for the best tracks in this symphony of frost and flame.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Tower Defense] Random Walk TD

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by rulerofiron99, Apr 5, 2015.

1. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Agreed, I'll adjust them from 80%/160% to 90%/130% or so.

For the time being, I'll just add the option to pick game length (short = 25 rounds, normal = 35, long = infinite).

Excellent idea, but not something I'll add any time soon.

I've been planning these things separately, but the way you structure it sounds much better. I'll definitely do this.

2. jopi

jopi

Resources:
    Resources:
    yes, I totally agree with you, that this is something what can be done in later versions. Still I really hope you will add something of this kind, as 'story' or rather progress, were always things I was missing in TDs, you play some kind of faceless builder, holding back hundreds of meaningless enemies for more or less no particular reason xD

3. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hehe, you're asking the wrong mapper for that, I have zero interest in stories :p

4. jopi

jopi

Resources:
    Resources:
    well, I'm not asking for stories ^^, but with the 'world' thingy you could add a (faked) feeling of progress or achievement, not simply the next round with a new number and different creeps...

Maybe someone else also reads this and likes the idea, so I'm dropping it here :p
    'TD campaign incoming!' :wink:

5. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Update - 0.31
    - Game length now selectable (short [25]/long [40]/infinite)
    - Infinite mode starts after level 40, every level rolls a random creep out of 40 (5 armour types * 4 creep types * ground/air)
    - Improved verbosity of life lost message
    - Changed attack/armour type factors. Damage dealt to primary armour: 130% (down from 160%), damage dealt to other armours (excl unarmoured): 90% (up from 80%)
    - Added SFX when creeps spawn/leak
    - Added income to multiboard
    - Fixed camera to keep zoom even if you scroll or use another camera key

6. jopi

jopi

Resources:
    Resources:
    I FACED JARAXXUS!(and won :grin:)

Nice updates so far, and city is my new favourite race^^

Also I've found a mistake on the Soul Catcher, as its upgrade has the same tooltip as the Soul Catcher itself.

Also I have to admit that I find the chemist a bit disappointing, as he loses the ability his base tower has (what at least for me was not intuitive). Maybe you could change him, so he really 'rages over the battlefield' when something special happens, making him work similar to the milita of city?

Still haven't tested all changes, for this I have to make some infinite games :)

7. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Brilliant idea. I'll probably make that the result of gaining X stacks of rage, so there is more incentive to spam arrow towers to activate him.

8. bhusta

bhusta

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    After playing version 0.31 for hours in singleplayer mode I think this td is dc worthy :goblin_yeah:
    But nevertheless I have some points.

Is the bat level intended to end the game or am I just bad?

Just for esthetics, could you change the facing of the worker in the direction he teleported?

Could you give towers a range test spell like in this map?

Before the first wave spawns, I can't see what wave will come with -n

Goblin

-Skywatcher
    --I would like to have a more seeable missile just for control.

-Zeppelin
    --What does it attack? Only ground?

-Chemical merchant
    --same what jopi said

-Goldmine
    --You should increase the efficiency because the other races can get way more money.

-Knife Juggler
    --Maybe add a crit ability. Seems to be quite weak.
    --You have some space left. I think the bamboo style http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2447074-post22.html would fit.

Shadow

Overall this race has too many magic type towers. If the magic immune golem wave spawns one has nearly no chance to survive.

-Altar of Darkness
    --the slow spell does not autocast
    --and the ability seems to be redundant because I used the Soul Chiller for slowing units. Maybe something like black arrow would be cooler.
    If it kills a unit it can spawn a skeleton archer which works like the city melitia.

-Soul Chiller
    --Maybe you can let it keep the earned damage buff with the Soul Catcher.
    --and it should keep piercing damage

I have no points for the city race yet. Although I played it about ten times already :D

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  9. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks! :D

Bug; the bat wave had 700 times more health than it should on that version.

Will do.

Will do.

Thanks for the link, will definitely grab something from there.

I've been wanting to give the Knife Juggler a unique ability, just haven't thought of anything fun enough yet. NOT crit, it's too boring.

Magic immune rounds aren't meant to be magic immune, in the new version I'm fixing this.

I'm going to remove the slow ability.

10. Acutesharpness

Acutesharpness

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Absolutely fun game, I played as shadow and the concept are kind of nice, some from dota others original, keep it up! :)

11. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    UPDATE 0.32b

- increased scaling difficulty of veteran and insane
    - fixed some tooltips
    - fixed infinite mode creeps having incorrect HP
    - removed Slow from Altar of Darkness
    - added ability to show towers' ranges
    - improved goblin gold mine efficiency
    - you can now see the first wave with -n

I should have some time this week to add more content and such. Please keep the suggestions coming!

EDIT: 0.32b - fixed range being shown when any ability is used

EDIT2: Made new icons for auto micro, needs criticism:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  12. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If this is 0.32 HOW much is 1.0 gonna contain? o_O

13. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hopefully enough content for a thousand hours of entertainment :D

14. jopi

jopi

Resources:
    Resources:
    I really like the new auto micro icons.

One thing I've experienced since the first version, and that bugs me a bit some times, the arrows showing the direction of creep movement seem to be a bit off, especially on crossings or corners. IMO they should be exactly there where the creeps will change their direction, and not a bit before. Also you maybe could add a path-test function where players can send out a invunerable path-tester to clarify how the creeps will walk, not that it's very hard to get the path atm, but it could be a nice addition.

As bhusta already mentioned, it's very un-intuitive that the Soul Chiller loses it's collected souls after the update, and can't geather them anymore. If you think that a slowing and becoming stronger tower is too OP just base them both on a basic tower and the palyers have to choose which one they want.

If I'm not totally wrong the Altar of Darkness DOES in fact auto-cast his slow. Only thing is, it's not applied by it's attacks but by casting. I myself really like it the way it is at the moment, as in boss waves it comes in very handy to keep the bosses away from each other so you always procc the desolate damage for them being alone. This still needs a bit of manual buff placing, but that's ok IMO.

Another thing that might be interesting, if it's possible to do without much loss in performance, would be something like a 'health-stats' in the multiboard for the current wave. It could look like : [Current HP of all living creeps added together] / [Total HP of all creeps of the Wave]. I hope you get what I mean.

15. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's how it was originally, but the problem was that at crossings two arrows would overlap each other and you would have no way of knowing which way the path turns. I suppose I could move them a bit closer, but they'll never be at the exact spot.

Will do.

16. bhusta

bhusta

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I just got an idea.
    How about something like random special positions on the map where one can build towers on. If one builds a tower on these positions the build tower gets a bonus.

For example one can see a special effect like endurance aura somewhere on the ground.
    If one builds a tower on it, the build tower attacks faster.

17. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I've been planning to make that feature a buildable tower for some races (you build the aura on the ground and then build another tower on top of it, or vice versa), but having it as a terrain element as well is a good idea.

18. bhusta

bhusta

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Or maybe as loot from bosses.
    Natures Call TD had bosses who dropped specific towers.
    Those towers were items which one could build like the human item towers.
    Instead of fitting aura/ground towers to a race, you could fit them to the bosses.

Edit: BTW, why don't you make mixed waves? I mean 1 boss and a half creep wave.

19. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Would be difficult to balance.

For example: if you have some fast creeps and some swarm creeps in the same waves and your towers are far enough from the entrance, you can kill the entire fast portion of the wave before the swarm portion even reaches your towers. It's hard to put a number on this.

The game is balanced around:
    - the wave structure (as opposed to continuous spawns you see in circle TDs)
    - the "creep train", its length and how long towers can hit it
    - creep speed
    - creep spawn rate (different for each creep type)

Mixing swarm and normal waves doesn't have this problem since they go at the same speed, but if I'm going to mix waves I'll want to have all waves mixable.
    One idea I had for getting around the speed difference problem would be for the creeps to all move at the same speed until the encounter your towers, at which point they go at their proper speed, but this is easily countered by just building a few cheap towers at the spawn point.

EDIT: Made a few more auto micro icons and replaced one.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  20. bhusta

bhusta

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So creeps with the hydra ability or creeps who could use metamorphosis during a wave won't exist as well?