• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Question: Any word on "Art Tools" for WC3:Reforged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello,

I wounder if there has been any mention of a new version of the "Art Tools" will be released with the new editor?
I work as a VFX artist, and I would love to be able to do custom FX for WC3: Reforged to share with the community.

All the best!

I am not currently aware of Blizzard publishing their maya export plugin yet, although data miners have found copies of the maya export logs left within the game installation itself.

@Taylor_Mouse is, I believe, making a 3ds max plugin for this purpose, although admittedly I have not tested it myself yet. You can read about it and find links to things he is doing on this thread:
Warcraft III Reforged - MDX format

In the meantime, I have also been developing a much hackier freeware style solution that functions as standalone software and can do basic modifications to existing Reforged model files:
Retera Model Studio Reforged Hack

My code has a read/write layer to MDX that is somewhat obtuse to read. Originally I wrote an MDL editor in 2012 when I was just getting into software development, and then I layered Oger-Lord's MDX read/write library on top of that which had a second separate data model for storing the model data.
So, each time I load a model, there is a 2 stage process that parses it to MDX classes, then transforms it to an MDL based data model for editing.

When writing back to MDX it does the reverse, converting the old MDL format then to MDX, and then writing that to a file with Oger-Lord's code.
But at this point I upgraded the Oger-Lord MDX load/save code to be as fully featured as possible, then incorporated updates based on Ghostwolf's stuff to allow it to read/write the Reforged MDX formats. So it's somewhat cobbled together code, but it's totally capable of opening a Footman or some other model, doing some basic manipulation of the mesh and model information, then writing back to a Reforged MDX file. That's how I get to a product like this grunt-headed sheep:

Status
Not open for further replies.