• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Reforged Editor Question: Creating Abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering something about the Reforged Editor, for anyone who has toyed with it as of release.

How does the ability to create new abilities compare to the classic editor, or to the Starcraft II Galaxy Editor?

I would love to get back into some modding in WC3 but I have always found custom ability creation to be rather tedious, working in the trigger editor, compared to the Galaxy Editor's Data Editor (although the latter does have a huge learning curve).

Just wondering if anyone has any impressions of this so far?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
As of right now the Reforged Object Editor looks pretty much the same as it did before.

Seeing as how they probably want to avoid ruining classic maps, I think it's safe to assume that we're only going to get features added onto what we already have rather than a massive overhaul of existing systems.

For example, with patch 1.31 came new triggers that allow us to edit ability fields using triggers so you can dynamically change the cast range, mana cost, damage, etc of an ability. Unfortunately, a lot of it doesn't work yet and I'm not sure if the release of Reforged addressed this.

At the moment Reforged feels incredibly unfinished but if we could just get one massive patch that addressed the editor bugs it would feel a lot better.

Last edited:
Level 3
Thanks Uncle.

Actually some of those features do sound appealing. I spent a long time learning SC2's data editor, and once I got a handle on it (mostly) it is incredibly powerful. However, WC3's editor was always more intuitive and straightforward.

WC3 Editor with more power in the triggers to affect abilities might be the mid-point I'm looking for, but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.