• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Question about Reforged Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi there, so as a map maker I'm both excited and nervous about reforged, the new models look great but all my maps are very import heavy. So will be a huge task converting them over to reforged, I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can give me an answer to please:

• 1 - What file format will the new Reforged models be in? What format will the textures be?
  • 2 - Will old MDX models still work in reforged?
  • 3 - What about models which previously used a classic WC3 texture, will they still work?
  • 4 - Do the new models also now require a specular/bump map?
  • 5 - Will map makers be free to use additional bonus skins like "Daughter of the Sea" Jaina in our custom projects or will we need to pay for these too? Will people who haven't paid for them still be able to see them if they are playing our custom map?
  • 6 - If I want to make simple texture changes to reforged models will I need Maya to do this or are there other tools available?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
What file format will the new Reforged models be in?
A new version of MDX/MDL.
What format will the textures be?
Direct Draw Surface (DDS).
Will old MDX models still work in reforged?
Yes.
What about models which previously used a classic WC3 texture, will they still work?
Yes.
Do the new models also now require a specular/bump map?
I do not know for sure but one likely does not have to provide all texture layers for a model to load. For maximum quality models one should probably supply at least a bump/normal map.
Will map makers be free to use additional bonus skins like "Daughter of the Sea" Jaina in our custom projects or will we need to pay for these too?
They will be free for custom maps. Just using them in melee play requires paying to unlock the content.
Will people who haven't paid for them still be able to see them if they are playing our custom map?
They should be able to see them like any normal model.
If I want to make simple texture changes to reforged models will I need Maya to do this or are there other tools available?
For creating skins (changing texture only), GIMP with appropriate DDS plugin should suffice. Paint.Net might also work if it has DDS support.

Level 2
Anyone by chance know the model path for Death Knight (Female) ?
Also icons staying as BLP? I wonder if i could use the old icon tools to create and modify reforged icons>?

Level 2
Anyone by chance know the model path for Death Knight (Female) ?
Also icons staying as BLP? I wonder if i could use the old icon tools to create and modify reforged icons>?

Yeah, if you place a unit down on the editor and swap their skin to "Udef" it'll switch to the female death knight - took me a while to figure it out.

Level 7
A new version of MDX/MDL.

Direct Draw Surface (DDS).

Yes.

Yes.

I do not know for sure but one likely does not have to provide all texture layers for a model to load. For maximum quality models one should probably supply at least a bump/normal map.

They will be free for custom maps. Just using them in melee play requires paying to unlock the content.

They should be able to see them like any normal model.

For creating skins (changing texture only), GIMP with appropriate DDS plugin should suffice. Paint.Net might also work if it has DDS support.
thanks for the replies drsuper, they are greatly appreciated! I am really excited for reskining and color changing some of these beautiful reforged models, but I guess we will need to wait until 3rd party tools are available to enable us to extract these new skins? I also want to start editing the reforged tilesets but how do I find out the texture paths?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
but I guess we will need to wait until 3rd party tools are available to enable us to extract these new skins?
CASCView already supports extracting the skins from both local and cloud CASC storages.
I also want to start editing the reforged tilesets but how do I find out the texture paths?
Browse the file structure using CASCView. You should be able to find them eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.