1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

"Protect" maps in 1.31.1?

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by lolreported, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well seeing how Warcraft III classic is getting downgraded whats the point.
    It's obvious that they're downgrading the original game to force the "remaster" on us.
    Theres no incentive to add new features to the original game from Blizzard's perspective.
    Classic Warcraft III will be dead as soon as Reforged is launched, i think we all know that.
    I just hope Reforged will be good, but i have my doubts.

2. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If that happens. I'll still have my 1.27b and 1.29.2 if they don't break compatibility and force us to save maps on newer patch versions.
    But, let's not cloud mapping with conspiracy theories.

3. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's not really a conspiracy when you know most people will buy and stick to Reforged after launch.
    The few people who stick around for classic won't have anyone to play with.

4. Wrda

Wrda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    What part of "Reforged is bounded to Classic" you didn't understand? They literally said it's the same engine, the same game, and it's meant to co-exist with Classic, they can even choose between Reforged and Classic graphics. This has been said quite a long time.
    So no, Classic won't obviously die :p
    I'm not going to waste 30 euro for the same game with same stuff, just upgraded graphics. That's not worth for me, unless I was insane.

5. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    They'll surely add more natives and mapping/modding related material there as well as graphics enhancements like shadows and whatnot. So, it's not about insanity, it's about business.

6. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I was aware he hadn't logged since 2012, but @Vexorian never liked the Hive much as far as I know.

But they've got to add the same functionality to classic as well, otherwise compatibility is lost.

7. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ah if thats the case then maybe i'm wrong.
    Wouldn't surprise me if the two versions turn incompatible though.
    Remastered games have always been a technical endeavour as far as i understand.

If you want to get in contact with Vexorian then email is probably the best, he seems pretty dead on wc3c.net too (last active 2016).
    I think i understand why he doesn't like Hive though, WC3C have always been the more mature and site for high quality mods, while Hive is more of a mainstream modding site for all ages and skill level.

8. BizzaroFukuro

BizzaroFukuro

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That happened to me in 2013, when my HDD suddenly died (with all source material being on it).
    I was careless and almost didn't bother with precautions for such thing (I kinda had some backups, but they were old, and not everything was there).
    It was a good lesson to me, so to this day I regularly backup all important stuff to 2 different pieces of hardware.

At the same time I saw what happens when unprotected maps get any close to being popular and frequently played. Almost immediately it spawns a tree of branching versions, some of them having ridiculous changes, balance breaking changes, retarded out-of-place humor additions, unnecessary 9999 Mb of import shit, etc. And on top of that, it becomes extremely confusing for the players, like you need to do a fucking research before you choose the version you want... By the way, in the end, the most successful of these branches (usually where time investment is big enough) end up becoming protected.

P.S.: Recently I managed to restore all of my lost data from that HDD, when I got the time and determination.

9. Ricola3D

Ricola3D

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I also am used to Widgetizer + Vexorian Optimizer.
    However Widgetizer doesn't work anymore with 1.31 either. Can just prey for Vexorian Optimizer not to bug things...

10. Dat-C3

Dat-C3

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's nice turning 1 minute into 1 hour for cheaters, its like another level of game play so yes it is worth while corrupting maps and discouraging new players from easily cheating your map is a great help to getting more people to play together. If people don't want to share then that should be their choice though the maps worth cheating often have mapmakers who are decent enough to answer your questions.

11. jiafish

jiafish

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This seems to have branched into a discussion about should maps be protected, ill put in my 2 cents

The purpose of protecting a map is more to ensure that you are the only one who can develop it and stop it from branching off into various different versions.

Let's say I made a pretty complex map and protected it. This doesn't stop someone from deprotecting it and inserting cheats, or change the author name to their own and releasing it.
    What it does stop is someone deciding to add new spells or units or systems to the map, trying to make it their own.

If I did not protect the map, someone could add their own spin onto it, making the map better or worse, all without the original author's approval. Now you have two different version of the map and dividing the player base. As an author, this is definitely something you do NOT want.

12. Cespie

Cespie

Resources:
    Resources:
    The only reason that we are getting this many updates to the game currently, is that there is promise of future profit in this rework. Additionally, the improved graphics will draw in more people, which means that being in this community becomes a lot more meaningful in general.
    Buying reforged supports the future development of the game, and lets Blizzard know that it's a sub-franchise worth keeping on their plate.

Also, I'd gladly pay 30 euro for a graphics update to a game that I have spent thousands of hours playing. 30 Euro isn't all that much to begin with.

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  14. Lord_Marrowgrath

Lord_Marrowgrath

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    It was working. Now it's only dissappear triggers. Still map data openable.

15. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Retera
    (see the two posts above)

16. Ricola3D

Ricola3D

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Do deplacing war3map.j in a "scripts" folder still work too ?
    The main goal is not so much having your map data secret, but preventing cheaters to add cheats in the map no ? :)

17. Wrda

Wrda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    It doesn't take much to realise that it will only stop amateur losers, there's still others who can bypass that easily specially those guys from wc3edit.net.
    Not only that, but makes your map take a huge risk of desyncs with the optimizer.