• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Protecting a map with lua scripting language in 1.31.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hello, I'm editing a map that used to have jass code, I changed all jass custom scripts into lua custom scripts and now when I try to protect it using Wc3mapoptimizer 5.0 - Wc3C.net it gives me an error saying "couldn't find the map's script file", I also tried W3x2Lni v2.5.2 but learned after that it doesn't work in 1.31, I need the map to be uneditable after.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I also tried W3x2Lni v2.5.2 but learned after that it doesn't work in 1.31, I need the map to be uneditable after.
Did you update the data and settings to support 1.31.1? It only works for 1.28 out of the box. One needs to extract the required data files from local CASC storage and modify the settings file to use the new data set. @TriggerHappy helped me with this.

Vexorian's Optimizer will not work for Lua. It has no idea of Lua.

If you want to manually prevent the map from opening in World Editor then the same old trick of deleting (listfile), GUI trigger data files and any other editor only files still works.

Be aware that the concept of "protection" has many issues associated with it. It is recommended that older or redacted versions of a map be made available to the public. Older versions work for maps without persistency as thieves are always left playing catch-up. Redaction is needed for maps with persistency (save/load) to prevent people from easilly cheating. In case something happens to your unprotected copy of the map or even to you this means that backups are publicly available to be worked on. The advantages of this have become all too clear recently as many maps are now unplayable because they cannot be updated to bugfix for newer versions of Warcraft III as they were left protected and the developer either lost the unprotected version or has disappeared.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.