• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Prophet's Gambit v2.0.1

Prophet's Gambit

Version 2.0.1

Prophet's Gambit is a sandbox, co-op and competitive, RPG MOBA.
It has many aspects and resources borrowed from Blizzard and the
Hive Workshop website. It is based on the concept of combining many different
game types commonly seen online into one single unique game. I have, obviously,
added my own twists and rules to the concept.
This is the product of my labours:

Join the Alliance, join the Horde, or fight on your own!
The isle is alive with bandits, kobolds
and all kinds of baddies.
Build up your allies, switch sides,
or change your Hero at will!
The first side to kill the Dark Prophet,
destroy the opposing team's Castle or Fortress,
or build a wonder wins the game.

It can be played for single player fun, or in a multiplayer battle royale.
Each game takes approximately 1 to 2 hours to complete.
Other features include:
Competitive and/or co-operative gameplay, multiple item-based hero builds, a boss rush styled arena,
random loot, wicked sick death messages, a crime system, explosions and filthy bandits.

• v1.3.8 - Map released on Hive Workshop.
  • v1.7.8 - Ironed out some trigger problems and memory leaks. Made terrain adjustments Map approved.
  • v1.8 - Changed the name to be less lame and to give killing the Prophet a purpose. The Prophet is now called the Dark Prophet, and will harass players and NPCs on the map with random and deadly area-of-effect spells. Zombies and Heralds of Darkness will also spawn on the map at random. Added level 20 racial abilities to all Heroes.
  • v1.9 - Added loading screen art since file size restrictions are gone. Added a new legendary weapon that is obtained in a mysterious way. Fixed bugs with weather patterns.
  • v1.9.2 - The Dark Prophet now starts casting after the Plague Doctor is killed. Added description tooltips to elite units. Fixed neutral players from not being able to see each other. Adjusted the Garrote, Shadow Strike and Entangle abilities. Changed health and damage for some bosses.
  • v1.9.3 - Fixed a crash bug with the Tinker. Re-balanced alliance and horde unit health. Added a Repair ability to Utility Towers.
  • v1.9.5 - Tinker buffs: oil derricks now act as a limited gold supply. I wonder how you would dispel that blight to rebuild? Drones now can use items. Moved some gold mines around. Reduced normal damage amount to fortified armor.
  • v1.9.6 - Updated the Charge and Death Grip abilities to be leak proof and have smoother animations. Other minor changes to tooltips. Added a version that's below 8MB for those who want to play it with LAN.
  • v1.9.7 - BIG update: revamped Monk class with a whole slew of custom skills. Before the Monk was slow and clunky, now its skill selection has a smooth transition for combos. Fixed death messages not working for player kills. Added upgrades to the Fortress and Castle: players can now manually purchase upgrades for the Alliance or Horde. Increased starting gold. Rebalanced unit health, and adjusted unit priorities. Keeping map permanently below 8MB to avoid complications with LAN.
  • v1.9.9 - Removed map fog and nerfed Dark Memories. Knockback for everyone! Knockback no longer affects mechanical units. Changed the Shaman's Storm Call to a direct damage spell with knockback. Added knockback to the Hunter's Explosive Shot. Improved the Death Knight's Death Grip collision detection (by removed it completely).
  • v1.9.9b - Fixed knockbacks not working.
  • v1.991 - Fixed more targeting issues with knockbacks, tweaked the Shaman's Call Lightning ability.
  • v2.0 - Major overhaul. Updated AI for lanes, trees now regrow with individual timers to prevent workers from getting stuck, consumable items now stack in inventories, no zombies will spawn at the hero selection area, nerfed Dark Memories again, and halved the cost of Scrolls of Town Portal. New game mode: Fixed Teams. If all players vote in favour for fixed teams, those who picked a specific team on the map hosting screen will stay in that team.
  • v2.0.1 - Fixed a lot of crash bugs and removed many memory leaks to improve map performance. Drones can no longer use items, but can carry them.
Future projects:
  • terrain improvements, secret quests.

All of the game's custom model skins and icons are not my own. I do not take sole ownership of the ideas and concepts presented in this map. Credit goes to:
monkeyboy15, TC_Firestar, General Frank, HandCLAW, Direfury for the awesome dwarf models, Uncle Fester, frostwolf, Sin'dorei300, Tranquil, Linaze, TurieL, Norinrad for the awesome goblin models, Stefan.K, WhiteDeath, tillinghast, loktar, Alastor, JesusHipster, Mc !, Sellenisko, Dmitry Rommel, NFWar for a lot of his item icons, chr2, Dalharukn, Ardenian, PeeKay, Rizz_Boomer, Mad, San, Fjury, CRAZYRUSSIAN, MiniMage, JollyD, -Grendel, Laercio, CoLd Bon3, Paladon, Spinnaker, Bribe and Blizzard Entertainment.
Previews
Contents

Prophet's Gambit v2.0.1 (Map)

Just tested the map here's my review:

+ Good presentation ingame

+ Good customized units
+ Good gameplay
+ Good customized items

- Terrain is not bad but it's also not good

Overall, I'll rate this map 4/5 vote for approval and +Rep will change my rating when you've updated your map, you can also tell me if you're dissatisfied with my rating and I'll gladly remove it and my comment.

Level 13
Dissatisfied or not, I'm looking for honest feedback. The most I've done is tested it with friends, and now I feel like it's ready for critique from people who've been doing this for a long time. I also want to see if people find it fun. My goal is to make it as fun as possible.

Level 23
Like it or not, the site rules insist that you must at least have an in-game credits list, listing all the people whose resources you used in your project.
I do not set the rules.

As for the map itself, a few things I noticed heads up.
- Fog of war in the picking area. Not necessarily a bad thing, however I can guarantee you that a clear and clean space for picking classes/factions will probably players in figuring out initially what is going on.
- There are a ton of units on the screen especially in town. Do civilians really need lifebars? Do shops standout enough from the background?
- Your spell triggers have wait functions, which immediately means they are not multi-unit instanceable.

Ultimately, this is also one of those maps that requires a large team and a long play session to get a good grip on.
That means that the approval process will likely take a long time.

In the mean time, there is a multiplayer fun-map event, if you really want someone to test your map; you could suggest it there.
Funmap Evening Event

Last edited:
Level 13
Ah yes, I will definitely add more specific credits than a generic disclaimer. I'll start on the references. I like the idea of revealing the start location, too. Thank you. I intend civilians and critters to be killable in town for the crime and bounty triggers mostly, as well as ensuing chaos when fighting other players in towns. And yea. I know shop visibility is an issue.

Last edited:
Level 13
Thank you! But, my improvements don't stop here. I still feel the map needs more random events and mechanics to make it even more fun, maybe another new victory condition. I will definitely take a second look at terrain and class/racial skills.

Level 26
Right! The review!

I found this to be a very entertaining map. I played it for at least two or three hours before it got too late, and I went to sleep.

I tried the Tinker a lot, and found it to be really cool that you could build a base with a hero like that, and then join the fight with the constant flow of allies raining down the lanes.
The entire goblin techtree is prett awesome. I especially liked the use of blight by the oil extractors.

Last hitting was quite tricky, I must say, and this might be good to make a little easier. Although, I played the tinker, so I didn't really need to last hit.

The waves of allies and enmies can build up quite strong, and like that overcome a base. It looks epic when 50+ units just crushes a base.
The waves are well-balanced though, as this doesn't happen for a pretty long time in the game, and if there are heroes protecting or pushing the lanes, it will defenitely be balanced as in a AoS.

The terrain is not breathtaking, but in its modesty it is still charming, and the bases looks quite good.

The fog of war in the selection area could be removed in my opinion. Also the portals there allow you to choose a base, but if you go back through them, you end up in the eemy base, which have you killed in an instant.

I think you changed the name of the game, right? The new name is much more fitting!

Level 13
Right! The review!

I found this to be a very entertaining map. I played it for at least two or three hours before it got too late, and I went to sleep.

I tried the Tinker a lot, and found it to be really cool that you could build a base with a hero like that, and then join the fight with the constant flow of allies raining down the lanes.
The entire goblin techtree is prett awesome. I especially liked the use of blight by the oil extractors.

Last hitting was quite tricky, I must say, and this might be good to make a little easier. Although, I played the tinker, so I didn't really need to last hit.

The waves of allies and enmies can build up quite strong, and like that overcome a base. It looks epic when 50+ units just crushes a base.
The waves are well-balanced though, as this doesn't happen for a pretty long time in the game, and if there are heroes protecting or pushing the lanes, it will defenitely be balanced as in a AoS.

The terrain is not breathtaking, but in its modesty it is still charming, and the bases looks quite good.

The fog of war in the selection area could be removed in my opinion. Also the portals there allow you to choose a base, but if you go back through them, you end up in the eemy base, which have you killed in an instant.

I think you changed the name of the game, right? The new name is much more fitting!

Ah yea, I changed the name because I wanted to make killing the Prophet meaningful, so I added events and purposes to that effect. It was the first real way to win the game when I started developing it. As for the portals, I added some info in the "Help" menu stating you can only change sides once every 5 minutes. Maybe I should make that mechanic more clear. I made the lane creeps balanced in a different way. Where Orc grunts have higher damage and health, human Footmen have faster attack speed and more armor. That sort of thing. I wanted balance in imbalance, and to make it lore friendly.

As for the terrain, most of it is randomly made on a whim. I put more detail into the towns than in the battlefield. In general, I just wanted something interesting for farming neutral hostile mobs or base building if they choose Tinker.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

It is a nice RPG mod, really enjoyed it. Heroes are good and well made, gameplay interesting and especially not boring as many of the rest RPG maps for Warcraft 3, excepting Gaias Retaliation and Sunken City. Trust me or not I haven't found any bugs so far. Nothing to say but 5/5 for you. Good job!

Level 13
Thank you for your time, Alxen. I am also looking for critical feedback. 1 thing I know I need to improve on is the terrain in general, do you notice anything that could use an update?

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Thank you for your time, Alxen. I am also looking for critical feedback. 1 thing I know I need to improve on is the terrain in general, do you notice anything that could use an update?
The terrain, yes! It can be remade with some HD tilesets now that this patch allows us to host maps over 8mb, we can put more materials into our projects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 1
I got this map yesterday, tested it single player (worked fine imo) and when I tried to play it LAN with my friends, it said the map file was too large, so we couldn't play it.

Anything I did wrong? Any solution?

Thanks in advance.

Level 13
I know that for hosting it on battle.net, it works fine since the patch. Did you try clicking the battle.net button to download the latest WC3 patch? I haven't tried it in LAN since I don't have people to play it with in LAN.

Level 1
I don't use battle.net, but afaik I have the latest (patch 1.27) released just last year, right?

I read somewhere that there's a file size limit for playing online, I imagine that limit was lifted in battle.net in this patch but for some reason it's still active in LAN? :(

PS: I found a fix on this same web and it works, I hope I'll try this map with my friends next session we have :)
Warcraft III bypass map file size limit. [ver.6]

Last edited:
Level 13
If you still have problems with it, I can make a version of the map for you that goes below the 8MB limit. Let me know if it works!

Edi: added a version of the map without the loading screen that's below that 8MB threshold, I'll be out of country for a week.

Last edited:
Played this map for a long time today, but then it crashed. Said something about "Handle2AgentReg", whatever that means.

It was a pity, I really wanted to win, haha.

Edit: Attached Errors.zip from when the map crashed.

My Wc3 installation was a compressed version sitting at 160 MB of space on disk, missing all sound files, campaign files, and a lot of other stuff. Could be my fault that it eventually crashed. Don't know.

Attachments

• Errors.zip
    190.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Level 29
Played with orc warlock, human mage, elf priestess, nightelf druid and dwarf paladin. Had our fun as the map is inspired from wow and therefore really easy to understand. Got you some feedback to give:
- at first attempt had been orc warlock. Took portal to neutral faction's town, as i had been looking around an plague ward spawned in the base near the north-eastern workshop. You may like to prevent neutral undead summons from kicking in too early.
- warlock's dark ritual skill cannot be used on living beings, seeing as he cant summon any friendly undead that was not of use to him. Try remaking the skill based on Death Pact, which does not require target to be undead. Nope you'll have to trigger this.
- when an obsidian statue spawns in right middle route at first(or second) night it's summons effectively shuts down that route for the night and next day.
- Dark Memory unit had no visible model being only an shadow.
- It'd be good if you add more seal abilities for Paladin, cycled through similar to his auras.
- Orc units are superior to humans in terms of health, this means if an line happent to be left to its own devices orc troops will eventually mass in it. Human units being considerably weaker makes it
an better idea at early game to initially farm on Horde's side and then switch later to Alliance to kill the massed orcs then.
- You may like to implement an faction lock so people cant switch sides in the middle of battles. In the playthrough with the orc warlock joined the alliance first, to do so attacked an orc troop, later when near death simply fled and in a short duration turned neutral with the horde again when the troops were about to catch up.
- There was Zombies in the middle isle at late game, where players can change class. They did not attack being set only to flee. You may like to prevent plague ward from being spawned in there as they are not of effect there.
- Mage was easiest to farm kills with thanks to having both Blizzard and Firestrike.
- The travelling troll merchant can be got to stop at a cliff ramp.
- Samuro is superior boss unit compared to alliance king. I think they both should be the strength of king, to that end probably may like to swap samuro for an horde warlord.
- righternmost long corridor requires one more base per side, its longest and most boring route.
- implement an check for when bases are no more so it's barricades wont respawn anymore after being leveled entirely.
- Teleport staff item counting for accessory limit is a no brainer, as its vital for successful play.
- I can suggest replacing Teleportation in this map with an 'flight paths' mechanic. Reason being nobody really travels on foot around the isle to experience the random creep spawns, instead using the teleport staff to reach wherever needed. Check systems like: Portal System v2.5
to implement such an mechanic. Basically there would be an aviary/beastiary building in each faction's main base, that has seperate teleport abilities to each flightmaster npc in that side's bases. when flightmaster npc dies you cant take fast travel anymore to that base. During flight player would appear as riderless gryphon/wyvern.
- You may like to implement an mechanic that prevents faction backstabbing. You can go to middle area, change character, change character again to leveled char. Now you are considered neutral and have your items+skills, just take the portal leading to opposing faction's main base and level everything starting from behind, or gang upon the king all at once.
- Priestess requires one more damage dealing skill.
- in the playthrough with Mage somewhen gained an skill that has undead regeneration aura's icon and regenerates 20% of health, that obscured the skillz menu button.
- playable necromancer hero would be awesome.

Last edited:
Level 13
I appreciate the feedback, and I do have some reasons for some things.

The neutral undead, Heralds and Nightmares are all connected, since they are effectively spawned by the Prophet. The Heralds with the Nightmares in particular are like a raid boss that teleports around, and yea. They are designed to be avoided until you are powerful enough to take them down.

As for the Nightmares sometimes becoming shadowed entities, I think that has something to do with their summoned ability. I really don't know how to fix that, it's based on a modified "Summon Lava Spawn."

- Orc units are superior to humans in terms of health, this means if an line happent to be left to its own devices orc troops will eventually mass in it. Human units being considerably weaker makes it
an better idea at early game to initially farm on Horde's side and then switch later to Alliance to kill the massed orcs then.
They are actually balanced within their imbalance. Where Grunts have higher base health and damage, Footmen have the Defend ability with higher armor and faster attack speed. Their effect health and DPs I calculated to be the same. You'll also notice the Shaman and Rifleman units also have the same health, where Headhunters and Priests have the same health. I wanted to add some flavor to this.

- You may like to implement an faction lock
You may like to implement an mechanic that prevents faction backstabbing.
I am considering a game option with that. For now, the objective of this map is to be as sandbox as possible. It's part of the game to swap sides and backstab your team. Or, alternatively, work together to finish one of the victory objectives.

There was Zombies in the middle isle
I had that a couple times. I really should make a condition to avoid that area for the random zombies. Thank you.

righternmost long corridor requires one more base per side, its longest and most boring route.
Thar be secrets hidden within ;D

Teleport staff item counting for accessory limit is a no brainer, as its vital for successful play.
Yea, I've had that requested before. I added Scrolls to Town Portal and the Boots of Travel for that purpose. Couriers like the Pack Horse with scrolls is especially effective.

in the playthrough with Mage somewhen gained an skill that has undead regeneration aura's icon and regenerates 20% of health, that obscured the skillz menu button.
That sounds like the Human mage's level 20 ability. Did you get it at level 20? I'll have to double check that.

Priestess requires one more damage dealing skill.
Best healer in the game, more of a shut down/support character. I am aware for solo play, it's pretty bad. It's really nice vs the bosses on the map.

Again, thank you for your feedback. It gives me some things to consider.

Level 13
Played this map for a long time today, but then it crashed. Said something about "Handle2AgentReg", whatever that means.

It was a pity, I really wanted to win, haha.

Edit: Attached Errors.zip from when the map crashed.

My Wc3 installation was a compressed version sitting at 160 MB of space on disk, missing all sound files, campaign files, and a lot of other stuff. Could be my fault that it eventually crashed. Don't know.

@Retera, I've had other players have this issue with compressed versions, as well as certain models not showing up. Can you tell me what you were doing specifically in game when it crashed, and what Hero/faction you were in?

Level 2
Hello there! I found a bug. Sadly I didn't copy the log. When playing as a tinker, I was lvl 20 and did some upgrades on him and his drone already, I used the drone to go to the main central building (where he can buy xp) and 'bought' xp for the drone. The game crashed.

Level 13
When playing as a tinker, I was lvl 20 and did some upgrades on him and his drone already, I used the drone to go to the main central building (where he can buy xp) and 'bought' xp for the drone. The game crashed.
OK, this is something I wouldn't consider. It's due to it being a unit that can use items, but doesn't have an exp bar. I'll be fixing that with a few other things in the next update. Thank you.

Level 11
Suggestion:
-Some items has a description like
"Strenght+5
Attack power +10"
But some of item descriptions are look like "The item increases the strength by 5 etc etc". You better choose only one way to explain item bonuses. The commentary of items can be explained in the down after all bonuses.

-Some battle places are thin. Melee heroes have to wait a lot of time to find the "thunnel" between allied units to attack enemies.
-Boots of Speed item bonus (Movement speed bonus) doesn't stack with same effect and the game chooses the max valued movement speed bonus. You should add commentary that the movement speed effects aren't stack (it still stacks with Auras which increases the MS by percentage vaLue)
-The druids wildkin form has only two disadvantages: melee combat and Tranquility lock. Maybe you should add more specific bonuses for each form. For example Rejuventaion in the normal form also gives instant heal. Moonfire can deal double damage in wildkin form etc.
-Are you sure that Spirit Link totem is more worthy to be the Master Techniques instead of Healing Totem?

Bugs:
-Seal of Wrath: It doesn't regain the mana on hit. It regen mana on swing. Try to activate Seal of Wrath, move to the enemy and spam Cancel Cancel Cancel order. It allows to regain mana without any judgement spell.
-Tauren Warrior rage system - the sam problem like with Seal of Wrath.
-The Monk's Meditate probably has the same problem like with Seal of Wrath.
-Steady Aim has the same problem.
-Precision + Rapid Fire also causes additional damage while spamming Cancel Cancel Cancel order wihtout shooting.
These bugs connected with wide-spread mistake: editors are using Unit is attacked event. You should use detection damage systems instead of this.

Level 13
Bugs:
-Seal of Wrath: It doesn't regain the mana on hit. It regen mana on swing. Try to activate Seal of Wrath, move to the enemy and spam Cancel Cancel Cancel order. It allows to regain mana without any judgement spell.
-Tauren Warrior rage system - the sam problem like with Seal of Wrath.
-The Monk's Meditate probably has the same problem like with Seal of Wrath.
-Steady Aim has the same problem.
-Precision + Rapid Fire also causes additional damage while spamming Cancel Cancel Cancel order wihtout shooting.
These bugs connected with wide-spread mistake: editors are using Unit is attacked event. You should use detection damage systems instead of this.

I am aware of the mana gain on attack, not on doing damage. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do a damage detection system yet. It's something I plan on in my next map, to better control damage instances. I also don't see it as a large problem, since you have to cancel the attack to cause the bug. I mean, at that point it's a trade off for doing damage.

As for the wildkin form, it does do more damage with higher armor and faster movement speed.
The idea behind Healing Totem not being the master skill for Shaman is to give Shamans more healing earlier. Plus, that Spirit Link's pretty OP I find...
Which items have stat descriptions in the general description? I usually put special abilities in the description area, and a more general description when when you drop the item on the ground.

-Boots of Speed item bonus (Movement speed bonus) doesn't stack

Now that's something I should include in the description.

Level 11
Which items have stat descriptions in the general description?
Legendary item has description:
STR + x
Attack power + x
etc.

But other items (like tier 1) have more detailed descrition (sentences, not bonus lists) while reading it from the inventory.

I also don't see it as a large problem, since you have to cancel the attack to cause the bug. I mean, at that point it's a trade off for doing damage.
But it allows certain heroes to not leave the battle for the rest. Especially heroes who can heal self and restore mana by attacking.
As for the wildkin form, it does do more damage with higher armor and faster movement speed.
It was suggestion about making the wildkin form usage more dynamic. Cast spell 1, use form, cast spell 2, cancel the morph to cast spell 1 again etc. It was just a suggestion. You can deny it.

Level 13
It was suggestion about making the wildkin form usage more dynamic. Cast spell 1, use form, cast spell 2, cancel the morph to cast spell 1 again etc.
Yea, I kind of did that with howl of terror vs tranquility on the druid. The idea is to change the druid between being a melee tank to being a healer. The problem with changing hero abilities on transformation is that I would have to rework the whole system. I've been experimenting with that in a different project.

As for item descriptions and the damage detection system, consider that a work in progress.
I simply want to make something fun and different.

Edit:
I haven't gotten much feedback on the raid bosses hidden throughout the map. Most of them can be done with 2 to 4 players. Has anyone tried winning the game in co-op by killing the prophet yet?

Also, the item system is as planned. Accessories have stats explained in the descriptions, that is intentional.

Last edited:
Level 28
* Tinker:
** Derrick doesn't affect income.
** Exploding barrel doesn't affect allies.
** Robotic goblin still has the build ability with nothing in it.
** No gold harvesting unit?

Had a problem where (as orcs) units in the main base stopped going forward at some point, clustering around their building and trapping the orc hero. As they were all pointing in the same direction, I suspect a zombie spawn was involved. I tried to kill them so the hero could escape, which is how I discovered the barrel doesn't damage allies.
Base hero can end up going down a lane, kited by the enemy attack waves.
Killed the Alliance hero, at which point the mage announced the Alliance had gotten first blood by killing me (other kills displayed the correct message).

Level 4
@Retera, I've had other players have this issue with compressed versions, as well as certain models not showing up. Can you tell me what you were doing specifically in game when it crashed, and what Hero/faction you were in?
Have you been ableto resolve the
"Handle2AgentReg (.?AUHandle2AgentReg@@)" ?

I ask you because i'm working on a project that crashes due this same error, and I cannot understand what does this means.