• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

~ Project: Black Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
  1. New mutants\undead added.
  2. Terrain has been thoroughly changed.
  3. Radio Operator has been removed.
  4. Weapons have changed.
  5. Tank Hunter class added.
  6. Many new doodads imported.
  7. Color of grass tinted black to look dead.
  8. Previews of new more open terrain added.
  9. Weapon previews added.
  10. Monstrosity previews added.

Story

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

INTRODUCTION

During the Cold War various experiments were performed on anti-communistic spies and poor Russian townfolk. The nature of these experiments is only speculated, but the events near the Siberian Dam speak for themselves. While stationed on their Siberian outpost a large group of about 497 soldiers and a few officers of the Soviet military disappeared. The highest ranking Soviet officials stated that they were killed during routine ordnance testing drills. Evidence recovered from the Siberian outpost around thirty years later indicate that the Soviet soldiers were faced with a litany of failed experiments that turned hostile somehow. Some orbital satellite intelligence suggests large amounts of firearms were discharged in the area ranging from tanks to machine guns.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

1980 -(Present Day)
As a Soviet soldier you and your comrades have been enlisted into the defense of the Motherland. You will be contacted through your commander's radio and you will be ordered to take on various requests. As you proceed to move about the Siberian outposts you will be mopping up the murderous mutated experiments wandering the outpost and the sector. Covering the vast mountains and wide open plains of ice with Soviet control won't be easy. As you complete objectives and further explore a somewhat unknown world within Siberia you will earn experience that will build onto your rank along with single-game medals earned by achieving feats of courage and foolishness. Death lurks around every dark, and snow-lit white corner.

abom3.png

Artwork by Grayzzz

Gameplay

INTRODUCTION

In Black Winter you will play as a selected class which can be used once you reach a certain rank. Ranks are obtained by gaining experience like most of your common zombie shooters. What seperates Black Winter is unrivaled cinematics, many missions, and several systems. I'm working to make this one of the best horror games on THW. There are 18 actual Soviet ranks that you will move through by finishing objectives and killing the NUEs (Neurologically Unstable Entities).

Ranks
Actual Soviet\Russian ranks

1): Private
2): Gefreiter
3): Junior Sergeant
4): Sergeant
5): Senior Sergeant
6): Starshina
7): Praporshchik
8): Senior Praporshchik
9): Junior Lieutenant
10): Lieutenant
11): Senior Lieutenant
12): Captain
13): Major
14): Lieutenant Colonel
15): Colonel
16): Major General
17): Lieutenant General
18): Colonel General

Classes

1): Rifleman
2): Field Medic
3): Grenadier
4): Sharpshooter
5): Flamethrower
6): Tank Hunter
7): Field Marshal
8): Guerrilla
9): Tank Hunter

Weapons

1): Tactical Shotgun
High damage, low range, low attack speed and good splash.
tacticalshotgun.png

2): AN-94
Semi-automatic, medium damage, long range.
aek971z.png

3): RPK Light Machine Gun
Large clip size, low damage, extremely fast attack speed.
rpk.png

4): AKS-74u Sub-Machine Gun
High attack speed, medium sized clips, short range, low damage.
aks74u.png

5): Dragunov SVD
Semi-automatic, self-loading sniper, high damage, epic long range.
dragunovsvd.png

6): Pamya Flamer
High attack speed, short range, good splash, high damage.
pamyaflamer.png

7): AK-74 Grenadier
Medium attack speed, medium damage, medium range, mounted grenade launcher.
ak74grenadier.png

8): AK-47 Assault Rifle
High fire rate, high damage, small clip size, medium range.
ak47.png

9): Vintorez VSS
Semi-automatic, self-loading sniper, high damage, long range, silent gunfire.
vintorezvss.png

10): VAL
Semi-automatic, medium damage, long range, silent gunfire.
valsilentrunning.png

Monstrosities

1): Aberrations
Severely slow and heavily armored, uncommon.
abomination.png

2): Pathogen
Weak, medium speed, common, and has acidic AoE damage on death.
pathogen.png

3): Siberian Giants
Fast, strong, very uncommon, can leap.
siberiangiant.png

4): Phasers
Fast, weak, similar to Wretches, common, can phase in and out.
phaser.png

5): Wretches
Fast, weak, and extremely common.
wretchd.png

6): Hellhounds
Fast, medium strength, somewhat common.
hellhounda.png

7): Witchers
Fast, high damage, medium hp, somewhat common.
stalkers.png

8): Zombies
Fairly common creatures, low hp, low movement speed, high damage.
zombieh.png

9): Epitaphs
The most rarely sighted, most powerful and deadly adversary. Called the Epitaph because those who find one usually speak their last words about the creature. Some say they leak the blood of those they devour from the bowels of their decayed form.
epitaph.png

Imagery

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
blackwinter10.jpg

blackwinter11.jpg

blackwinter4.jpg

blackwinter9.jpg

blackwinter6.jpg

blackwinter12.jpg

blackwinter13.jpg

blackwinter14.jpg

blackwinter15.jpg
blackwinter16.jpg
blackwinter17.jpg

Last edited:
Level 22
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Please note that this thread is still very much under construction. I will be showing off videos more pictures and charts that will further explain the game to you over a period of time. If you can't see certain images, simply refresh your internet explorer.
Anyone who wants to can support the project by using this banner made by Dragonson.
sigxriotsxfinished.png

I am also always looking for skinners modelers or iconists if anyone is ever interested in supporting the project that way.

@GhostThruster: Many of those doodads are very low quality and as a map maker you must pride yourself in using only the imports that are required to make your map look good. Never over use imports.
As for the fog being darker, the fog is white and very thick in game the density will change during the course of the game, and some areas will be darker than others.

Level 4
I'm working to make this one of the best horror games on THW.
I see you're aiming quite high. We'll see how high you can get :) .
I'm a fan of wc3 "horror" games so I'll surly check this thread. Let's hope you project is a success :). Hopefully you'll achieve your goals.

Level 22
I see you're aiming quite high. We'll see how high you can get :) .
I'm a fan of wc3 "horror" games so I'll surly check this thread. Let's hope you project is a success :). Hopefully you'll achieve your goals.

Indeed. I'm working to make a system much like that of SWAT's where you can choose armors, weapons, and perks on top of the class you choose.

Level 4
Well SWAT Aftermath is my favorite horror map in warcraft 3 so I guess I'll really be looking forward to the release of this map :)

Level 22
Update: I removed the idea of perks from my mind, and added the ability for each class to pick a weapon. These weapons cannot be changed once they have been selected. Each class has a set of weapons to choose from.

Okay, BREAKING NEWS *Duh duh duh* *Duh duh duh duh*

I have come to a decision that I will not be able handle this project on my own anymore. As much as I would like to take full credit for the creation of the map, and bathe in the glory-light, I have realized it has become too exhausting to do all of the things I am. So I am looking for a partner with one of the following, major modeling skill or major terraining skill. If you are interested in helping me finish this project contact me please.

Level 22
Looks nice. You should upload some more info and images on actual gameplay though, apart from classes and weapons. Perhaps you could record the opening cinematic and put it on youtube?

I haven't created an opening cinematic although I was planning on adding some videos of game-play once I actually finish up the classes and the weapons.

That brings up a good question would anyone happen to know what's a good, high FPS rate, free video capture program?

FRAPS, no discussion about it. You can have it for free on their website with some limitations, one being that you can only record 30 secons at the time - but there are ways of easily obtaining the full version, which i am however not allowed to mention here.
You get the screencap in raw video format, which means it will be of tremendous size and quality, so you have to render it in a program like iMovie or MovieMaker to get it to regular video format.

Level 4
hey it's that project that you were working on, why not interchangeable guns? it would be sinple enough, and when did the terrain get so attractive?
will this game be like a snowy undead assault or will you change the way you play this game?

what does the custom interface look like? can you change the resources and other ui stuff?

Last edited:
Level 22
@Gilded Touch: Unfortunately there will not be custom UI in the early betas because no one has taken interest to my project. Maybe I will have some help after the beta release though, so I will never rule out the possibility of custom UI. I am aiming to make it like a very deep much more immersive version of DOTD, NOTD, UA2, those sort of games. I want to make it more like a mod than just a map, because let's face it, in three years who is going to want to play a 'map' they will want to play a full-blown mod, like something Grievous1 is doing. As for making interchangeable guns there are two reasons I will not make a system like that. 1. They tend to glitch and are very unreliable in most cases, 2. I like the idea of picking a gun and sticking with it, I may add the ability to change guns later in the game. For now the system will work as described in earlier posts. I will be adding videos pretty soon of how the system works, and all that jazz.

@Zealon: This is supposed to be like a 'campaign-type' shooter, it should have lots of missions, lots of guns, lots of enemies, and lots classes along with guns or sub-classes. You will be able to roam as you choose just like UA2, NOTD, or DOTD, but it will have missions that you would be advised to follow if you want to beat the game.

I am quite sad that I was not able to work on the map and the thread in earlier days of the week that I had off, but I'm going to try and work hard to finish the map over 1-5 weeks. Hopefully I will have a demo at least within this time. I would encourage all of you support the project and help me finish it by taking my signature and using it with a link to support me. The more posts I get and the more critique I get the more I want to finish the project.

Level 20
Nice project, wish you best of luck.
But one thing; I don't think swapping weapons is buggy... It's the code that makes it buggy, so if your good at coding, it shouldn't bug? :D

But yeah swapping weapons isn't compulsory, especially if you have classes and stuff to make for that lacking feature.

Level 22
Nice project, wish you best of luck.
But one thing; I don't think swapping weapons is buggy... It's the code that makes it buggy, so if your good at coding, it shouldn't bug? :D

But yeah swapping weapons isn't compulsory, especially if you have classes and stuff to make for that lacking feature.

Yeah, at the second part. There are two many factors to use a interchangeable weapon system, plus I don't like the idea that much to start with.

Level 7
Yea, give us a screen with the UI, also, warning you, 16 days till Crhistmas holidays, (at least here in *YOU SHALL NOT LEARN THE COUNTRY NAME NEVER*

Level 13
wow, cool UI. Too bad the timer is still the same. But its doen't really matter, its awesome ;)
Now I really feel like playing this :D

Level 7
Suggestion

Will ya put -save/-load?Good, instead of giant codes with 1 km distance, example for good code is: *name*ASD23

ASD goes for starting name of rank, of course you wont put ASD.Thoughts, people! :wthumbsup: :wthumbsdown:

Level 22
Will ya put -save/-load?Good, instead of giant codes with 1 km distance, example for good code is: *name*ASD23

ASD goes for starting name of rank, of course you wont put ASD.Thoughts, people! :wthumbsup: :wthumbsdown:

I'm not sure what you said to me on the bottom block, perhaps you could use a translater to change it from your language to English.

But as for short -save\-load codes, the codes are about 8-9 characters in length. Probably not small enough to memorize although it would be possible.

Level 4
nice guns. will there be any special camera or will it be like all the other maps about people with guns killing zombies?
I'd really like to see some variation in this map.
Can you drive the helicopter?
Are there convoys you have to protect?
What happens to dead players?
Does a huge Russian force come in and annihilates the zombies?
Are you a Russian?
Can i learn Russian while playing this map?

Level 13
Those extra screenshots of the terrain are awesome :D
And the guns look amazing, did you make them yourself?

Level 22
Those extra screenshots of the terrain are awesome :D
And the guns look amazing, did you make them yourself?

@Zealon: No I did not. :p
But they are still awesome.. I'm looking for a shotgun model to showcase..

@Gilded Touch: You may be able to drive a double-barreled tank or fire a artillery battery.. I'm not sure yet.. As for the ending I suppose I want to make it where a nuke is detonated and your screen turns bright white for a second or two and them reveals a massive mushroom cloud and ends the game.
Once a player dies he becomes downed and can be revived by a player with a "Defibulator" once they are revived they can roam normally.. While players are downed their HP will drain 1 hp per sec, at a starting hp count of 400. While you are downed you can commit suicide using a pistol ("The Coward's Way Out") or detonate yourself in a massive explosion ("Thermal Detonator"), this of course requires a higher rank to preform.. And will kill any ammo the player would have dropped by committing suicide.
I am not Russian if that's what you were asking, but if you were asking do you play as a Russian, the answer is yes.. You play as Russian soldiers of all types.. Once you reach the rank of Major you are considered to be a Spetsnaz operative.

Level 22
Hmmm...not trying to be realistic here but how the eff Dragunov SVD works like a bolt-action rifle (judging from the fire rate)? I know both Dragunov and Vintorez are semi-automatic sniper rifles, but you could use SV-98 (it is a bolt-action rifle).

Just as suggestion though.

Fixed.. Just for the record, a Bolt-Action rifle is semi-automatic.. The difference is the ones that don't have a bolt lever you need to pull to load the next round, are called Self-Loading, because they chamber the next round without the long process of pulling the bolt lever. They usually have a lower velocity than Bolt-Actions though..

That UI is sexy Crazed..

Status
Not open for further replies.