• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

~ Project: Black Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Okay I finally have some time. Btw I hate the new theme. -.-

Beta may be released by sometime next year, March - June, somewhere in summer.
As for the amount of guns, no other game like this allows you to pick your weapon other than SWAT which isn't that good a game. So the amount of guns is likely to increase for playability purposes. The more guns, and the more classes, the more combos.

I will be adding a showcase of them enemies soon. But like I seem, I am very busy with Christmas shit.
Also all 'Imagery' images have been hidden for faster page loading.

Me too, the theme sucks :O

Trust me, if there this too many options, most of them will be similar. You only need 1 weapon for a designated role, otherwise you end up like:
Strength Heroes:
Warrior
Fighter
Killer
Slayer
Assaulter
Vanquisher

Intelligence heroes:
Mage
Wizard
Magician
Sorcerer
Spellcaster
Spellweaver

Agility heroes:
Ranger
Archer
Bowman
Hunter
Trapper
Tracker
Did I mention Ranger?

If you understand what I mean... And thanks for heeding my advice about the screenies...finally.

Level 22
No.. That's the point. Each class has like 7 abilities, or more making them unique and each class has designated weapons. If you are Heavy Support you can't carry a Vintorez sniper rifle.. The extra guns for each class increase replay-ability.

I may add a tech tree showing the weapons for each class sometime soon.

I was planning on adding an experimental weapon as the Heavy Supports second choice.. Second to the RPK obviously, gimme any ideas you have.

Level 13
Heres an idea, Russia is cold right? Maybe you could add a weather system, like in Battlefield Bad Company 2 (if you've ever played it) Exept you could adjust it a little, every 5 minutes or somthing a small snow storm begins, and if you stay out in the open for too long your character gets negative buffs, like a slow freezing buff, a damaging buff, a hypothermia buff, or eventually death. And to stop this, your character could create a small temporary fire, and you wont be frozen if you are around the fire, or you could find small fires around abbandoned camps or somthing. And you wont be frozen if you are in a covered area like a dense forest or (if you can go inside buildings) inside a building.

But to give you more freedom in roaming, you could make it that the storms stop every now and then.

Just an idea ;)

Level 13
and if you stand still for too long you guy starts freezing, so you have to kinda keep moving, unless you're next to a fire, or inside, etc...

Level 22
I was gonna make a massive systems manager board that measured body tempature, radiation levels, money, accuracy, all kinds of shit, but I couldn't figure out how to show the multiboard only to one player. And Zealon, I already planned on implementing realistic weather, and it's not always cold in Siberia, I made the map a bit more grassy in my newer terrain pieces.

Merry Christmas everyone!

As for that other gun Ghost, that seems far out for the 80's.

Level 4
I got you man, in this map, there's a trigger that deals with having 1 player only able to see a multiboard.
in the map it's not finished but go crazy with it.

do a custom script:
if GetLocalPlayer() == Player(0) then
what it does is if the player is player(0) then whatever comes next is just for red
player(0) = red
player(1) = blue
player(2) = teal
player(3) = purp
and so on,

after that you do everything you need for just red's multiboard.

and then you make another custom script:
endif

what tht does is closes the if statement.
this is the map if you need something to look at
View attachment Tropics.w3x

Level 13
But it should still be cold right? I mean it is called Project: Black Winter :p
I'm just kidding, grass will put more variation into the map, so its good that way.

EDIT: and Merry Christmas :)

Level 22
Okay, I'm proud to announce I am returning to action within the next few days. I became very very behind in school do to holidays and other matters so work will be hard to come by for the next week, week and a half. But I will be doing everything I possibly can when I can.

I'm going to start working on that Tactical Overview board now that I have some samples probably today at the earliest.
I would also like to know if anyone has a sample of a system that increases and decreases accuracy, something simple to use. I was planning on adding an accuracy system that reduced accuracy from 95% by 5% for every 500-1000 in distance to target depending on your class.

Here are some samples of items listed by the Overview board..

Body Temperature: Minor Effects

Radiation Level: Major\Minor Effects depending on amount of it

Rubles: Russian money

Exo-Skeleton Integrity: Determines damage resistance

I'm still thinking of some others.

Level 4
Nope the AK-74 was a new version used by the Russian army to replace the AKM witch was a replacement for the AK-47 don't believe what you see in call of duty, the modern Russian army uses the AK-74M an "upgraded version" of the AK-74 the 47, 74, 101, 103, 107 and 108 represent the manufacturing dates, this all matters time period wise by cold war i hope you mean 1985 but if this is of the 60's than use the AK-47 or AKM, but yes the AKM and AK-47 were still used in 1985 but less because of the ak-74's higher range and accurate firing (outclasing the M16A2 americas weapon at the time) there you go a full explanation...
project looks amazing though cool consept

Level 22
I don't know what time frame you are referring to because in the 80's the AK-47 was widely used by the Soviet military, and is still used on occasion by the Russian military today, with a few major updates to its hardware.

Monstrosity previews added! Dare you invoke the power of The Epitaph?

Last edited:
Level 22
Epic enimies :D

But Pathogen's image is broken.

I'll check it; you probably just have to refresh the page.
Edit: Fixed.

I will be taking a long break from Black Winter, until I feel I can continue the project, at this point I am not very enthusiastic, but I assure you the project will not die, I've kept working on it for the last year, and it's coming close to its finish, but I still need some help.. If any one skilled mapper would care to help I would accept such help upon knowing the extent of his skills.

Level 22
I've done a little bit of work. I am currently adding new selection circles.. I am looking for some feedback. What shape do you think they should be in? Or pattern, anything you think say.

Yay comment.. :D

|
V

Last edited:
Level 22
Alright, RiotZ was banned. Therefore, I will no longer be doing terrain for this project.

Unfortunately for you, you have never shown me any of your versions of my terrain, nor are the images of the terrain works by you, so technically, you aren't terraining my project, duh...

I have returned from a short ban time, and will now continue past endeavors. In this ban time I was always working on the map, and it is now nearly finished I am happy to say. I have a short to-do list that you may all help with... When the list is finished, I would expect to release the first Beta version of the map.

To-Do List

1. Finish Terrain
2. Fix Attack System (Need Help) :vw_wtf:
3. Finish Missions 3-6

4. Finish All Classes

As for the Attack System here is the coding. The zombies are flawed in several ways.. One of which is they do not attack people attacking them, they only attack their designated target, unless of course said target is unavailable. Let me know what I can do to fix this and other things...

Attack Setup
Events
Unit - A unit enters (Entire map)
Conditions
((Triggering unit) is A Hero) Equal to True
Actions
Unit Group - Add all units of (Units owned by Player 12 (Brown)) to OrderedUnits
Set RandomHeroGroup = (Units in (Playable map area) matching (((Matching unit) is A Hero) Equal to True))
Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units owned by Player 12 (Brown)) and do (Actions)
Loop - Actions
Unit - Order (Picked unit) to Attack (Random unit from RandomHeroGroup)

Attack Start
Events
Time - Elapsed game time is 16.00 seconds
Conditions
((Triggering unit) is A Hero) Equal to True
Actions
Unit Group - Add all units of (Units owned by Player 12 (Brown)) to OrderedUnits
Set RandomHeroGroup = (Units in (Playable map area) matching (((Matching unit) is A Hero) Equal to True))
Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units owned by Player 12 (Brown)) and do (Actions)
Loop - Actions

Regular Attack
Events
Unit - A unit enters (Entire map)
Conditions
(Owner of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Player 12 (Brown)
(Number of units in (Units in (Playable map area) matching (((Matching unit) is A Hero) Equal to True))) Greater than or equal to 1
Actions
Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Attack (Random unit from RandomHeroGroup)
Unit Group - Add (Triggering unit) to OrderedUnits

Periodic Attack
Events
Time - Every 1.00 seconds of game time
Conditions
Actions
Loop - Actions
If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
If - Conditions
((Picked unit) is in OrderedUnits) Equal to False
((Picked unit) is alive) Equal to True
Then - Actions
Unit Group - Add (Picked unit) to OrderedUnits
Else - Actions

Last edited:
Level 22
The reason you didn't get any wips is because you were banned literally days afterward. lol.

Well it made me uncomfortable to see someone basically claiming responsibility for my terrain, while I was helpless to defend. No hard feelings though, I understand your intentions. Post some of those WiP's here, I'd like to see them.

Though they probably won't be needed after the heavy changes the map has underwent.

Level 22
Ammunition clips are no longer discarded when using Reload, if the clip has 12 shots left for example it will be added to the last clip in your set of clips, if said clip is full, it creates a new clip with only 12 rounds left, which more rounds can be added to from this very process, until the clip is full once again then another clip is added yet again.

Level 2
guys, i have great model pack. there are models from "STALKER" game. it's been cool in this map. sorry for my english

Level 2
Rips are not allowed on THW, I don't plan to use any in this map.
The makers of STALKER have explicitly allowed any and all mod usage of their game files - regardless of wich game you mod for.

You can import, export, edit - the works.

They even made an official announcement, just google it and you've found it. It's all up for grabs in great mods!

Good luck on the map sir.

Level 6
This map is for Multi-player, right?

So other than then real people going in, do we have NPC's? I believe the Russians can afford that much man power right??? Plus we can get money. We can't bribe those NUE so i assume it's for ammo and hiring people

Level 22
Let's get some actual updates or any kinda sign of progress here... (and please show evidence, like screenies) :\

I'll give more screenies soon, maybe a gameplay video too, the map's almost done. I'm going to start looking for beta testers soon.

Rubles will be used for things such as medical kits, cigarettes, Vodka (lol), all kinds of things. And no you can't bribe zombies, and yes the Soviet Government probably had more man power than the US at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.