1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Producer Update: 24 Team Colors

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by Kam, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Kacpa2

Kacpa2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Agreed :v that's what i thought should be done :)

2. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    One thing I'd suggest you look into is making the team color textures replaceable in the World Editor. That way people can use custom TC without having to make a custom MPQ. Or a color palette like mentioned by @A Void would be amazing, of course with an option to use presets instead, and integration to the World Editor. But this might be too much of a hassle to implement.

Another thing is that the hero glow for black TC is pretty weak, I'd suggest maybe lightening it up a bit.

3. dtnmang

dtnmang

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Can we have checkered pattern colors? :)

4. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's possible, but that's not how team color works in Warcraft 3. Warcraft 3 uses a single texture file for each team color and applies that texture onto model's material. You can probably use a checkered pattern team color texture, but the results will be unpredictable and not that good. To put it simply; War3 doesn't support checkered pattern colors and wasn't designed for it. To implement such a feature you would have to re work entire team color system engine-wise and that's unlikely.

Besides, how would checkered colors even look in minimap or interface?

Attached Files:

5. _Guhun_

_Guhun_

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's going to be basically impossible to find a set of 24 colors that is going to be good for all types/intensities of color blindness. I have protanopia, but there wc3 colors were never much of a problem for me after a few years (except for teal and lb pings, because they look almost the same to me). I think adding an option to allow people to choose their own team color would make it confusing in-game for players to talk to each other (like how people reference each other by their colors in many maps).

For my two cents, at first I thought dark red would be bad because it would be too similar to brown, but at least in the units/minimap, they are fairly distinct. You should change the white color of the player on the minimap so it's not easily going to be confused for the white team color. While there are 6 colors that I can get easily confused, they look somewhat different enough so that I may be able to not confuse them after I get accustomed to seeing them.

6. Kacpa2

Kacpa2

Resources:
    Resources:
    What do you think of Erkan's idea?
    [​IMG]
    Its inline with what i wanted....excpet for new light blue replacing dark teal....it should be darker tealnot as in ptr but darker cuz its too similar to oroginal teal but aside from that its perfect

7. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Black conflicts with neutral colors and the name in black is very hard to read comfortably. They should probably make it dark gray instead of black.

8. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    I like most of it, but I prefer Blizzard's Dark Blue (except it's a little too dark-just a touch!)

9. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, for multiplayer they could just change the minimap colour of tiles and leave the player colours be or something.
    White is already too close to gray and your version is close to light blue so I don't know but I'd love the WcII white (heck all WcII and SC+BW colours if possible) in the game.
    Actually, that could be solved by leaving all players with their own colour on the minimap, so when you'd be red, you'd see yourself as red on the minimap and not white, as suggested by Adorm here:
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20762056755?page=8#post-144

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to Design for Color Blindness
    World of Warcraft improves options for players with color vision impairment
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New Player Colors image - WarCraft II: Rise of Shadows (demo) mod for Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness

10. _Guhun_

_Guhun_

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That would also be my suggestion. Maybe just a toggle on/of (another color option next to the minimap?) so that people can keep the old style if they want it.

11. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We might as well toggle the entire game to 1.26 while we're at it. Or wait, I want to toggle my game back to 1.00 version from 1.29..

12. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    For that kind of minor features, I'm also in favour of allowing players to choose whatever pleases them most-provided it doesn't unbalance the game.

13. Whitewolf8

Whitewolf8

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    While I love most of Erkan's idea, I'd also love to see either one of the supposed 'Dark Purple' or 'Dark Pink' stay as they are, haha.

14. opium911

opium911

Resources:
    Resources:
    I have picked all those colors based on:

1) Being able to pinpoint your own color in a hectic brawl
    2) Being able to pinpoint exact enemy colors in a hectic brawl
    3) As much contrast as possible between the colors to avoid any confusion

The most important is that players do not get confused in the worst scenario possible which would be 24 players on the same screen and each one of them casting abilities. The players need to keep perfect positioning of their own heroes and enemy heroes at all times during the brawl.

Based on the color palette I have attached here, here are the colors I find could be suitable for the game in order to accommodate 24 players:

• 6 Luminous Vivid Red draw:color="#ff0000" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #ff0000 Color Hex Red #F00.png

• 64 Luminous Vivid Orange draw:color="#ff8000 " Screenshot-2018-2-25 #ff9f00 Color Hex.png

• 119 Luminous Vivid Yellow draw:color="#ffff00 " Screenshot-2018-2-25 #ffff00 Color Hex Yellow 1 #FF0.png

• 193 Luminous vivid pistachio draw:color="#60ff00" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #60ff00 Color Hex.png

• 345 Luminous Vivid Cyan draw:color="#00ffff" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #00ffff Color Hex Cyan #0FF.png

• 458 Luminous Vivid Blue draw:color="#0000ff" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #0000ff Color Hex Blue #00F.png

• 603 Luminous vivid fuchsia draw:color="#ff00c4" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #ff00c4 Color Hex.png

• 74 Deep brown draw:color="#592d00" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #592d00 Color Hex.png

• 241 Strong green draw:color="#00a800" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #00a800 Color Hex.png

• 532 Luminous vivid purple draw:color="#9f00ff" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #9f00ff Color Hex.png

• Pale grey draw:color="#cfcfcf" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #cfcfcf Color Hex Gray81.png

• 109 Vivid gold draw:color="#e7ca00" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #e7ca00 Color Hex.png

• 128 Strong olive draw:color="#a8a800" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #a8a800 Color Hex.png

• 370 Strong arctic blue draw:color="#0093a8" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #0093a8 Color Hex.png

• 427 Very pale sapphire blue draw:color="#e2e9ff" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #e2e9ff Color Hex.png

• 627 Very light rose draw:color="#ff9eff" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #ff9eff Color Hex.png

• 571 Luminous vivid magenta draw:color="#ff00ff" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #ff00ff Color Hex Magenta #F0F.png

• White draw:color="#ffffff" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #ffffff Color Hex White #FFF.png

• Black draw:color="#000000" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #000000 Color Hex Black #000.png

• 61 Pale orange draw:color="#ffe0c2" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #ffe0c2 Color Hex.png

• 5 Light brilliant red draw:color="#ff6565" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #ff6565 Color Hex.png

• 318 Luminous vivid turquoise draw:color="#00ffbf" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #00ffbf Color Hex.png

• 676 Strong amaranth draw:color="#a80015" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #a80015 Color Hex.png

• 79 Light brilliant gamboge draw:color="#ffc565" Screenshot-2018-2-25 #ffc565 Color Hex.png

Now this is the color palette I was using for this 24-color composition:
    Color Palette.png

15. aoszx2p2drd9

aoszx2p2drd9

Resources:
    Resources:
    An option to just add small numbers beside the icon on the minimap would be helpful. Or maybe they could solve this by using symbols on the minimap. As an example if there are 3 different teams in the match the first team gets an cross the second an triangle and the third a square.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  16. Kacpa2

Kacpa2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Same :v

17. Kakerate

Kakerate

Resources:
    Resources:
    Erkan's color scheme is almost perfect imo, dark grey is definitely a little too dark though.
    Of opium911's suggestions, I could see use of the following:
    676 Strong amaranth draw:color="#a80015" for Red two, or 5 Light brilliant red draw:color="#ff6565"

79 Light brilliant gamboge draw:color="#ffc565" for Yellow Two, or 109 Vivid gold draw:color="#e7ca00"

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  18. Diegoit

Diegoit

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    And what about WE?

19. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If we follow by my approach then colors aren't really seperate textures anymore, but codes like this one: |c00FF0303Player 1|r

OR RGB 100, 0, 0

You could select a unit either in object editor or on the map and change it's color code to anything you like. Or you could change color code for the whole player via teams/players window.

It's possible to do this without removing preset colors.

Basically to sum it up, each player has white color texture, that white color texture is colored by the assigned color code.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  20. EternalOne

EternalOne

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The team colors are already replaceable in the world editor, although the way to do it is a bit awkward. Each color in the game is handled by an 8x8 blp, with names such as:
    ReplaceableTextures\TeamColor\TeamColor00.blp
    ReplaceableTextures\TeamColor\TeamColor01.blp
    ReplaceableTextures\TeamColor\TeamColor02.blp
    and so on. In the regular War3.mpq file, each of these is a solid color. Importing a different 8x8 blp and setting its file path to one of those will replace the team color.

Earlier today, I tried to swap in an 8x8 blp that was not a solid color to see if I could make a rainbow player or something, but sadly, that doesn't work. The game always used the fourth pixel from the top/fourth pixel from the left of the 8x8 in question for determining the color. Might've been more efficient for Blizzard to store the player colors as a hex number than as an 8x8 image, but oh well.