• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Possible driver issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
I haven't yet figured out why, but sometimes some effects in WC3 don't work. They don't animate, often don't show up(depends on the effect) and don't play sounds, all at the same time. This doesn't appear related to my settings, since sometimes it works and then after a restart stops working.
I've also noticed that it only applies to some models.
For instance, the lifesteal effect, frost nova, holy light and freezing ring don't work, but black arrow and the archmage fireball attack do.
All the models that I have problems with work fine as long as I don't create them as effects on the ground. What's so special about the models that do work?
Why does it only break on ground-targeted models even though the same models attached to a unit work fine?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Might be due to model animations.

Instantly creating and destroying some models will show while for others it will not. I forget the cause but its related to stand and/or death animations.

Make sure in game settings are maxed out. This means everything high. At lower visual settings some models will not show.

Level 29
I believe it's the death animation, but regardless, that model has no stand nor death, only birth.

If you really want it, and don't want to wait for a fix, I think adding a death sequence in Magos also with no keyframes or anything will make it work. Other people experienced with modeling for Waracraft should know for sure.

Level 21
The strange thing is that so far doing a restart has fixed it. I don't know what's so special about those models, but partly the reason must be that the way Windows 8 has combined shutdown and hibernate doesn't fully work. Occasionally some things don't start up at login, for instance.

Level 29
It has nothing to do with your computer, that's how the game logic works.

I think the reason behind it was that, if no death animation exists, the model needs to finish whatever animation was already running, Birth in this case.
If you add an empty death animation, the game can instantly go to it, it finishes immediately, and then the actual model/sfx disappears from the game.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Well, it did. Occasionally I have this issue and when I restart my laptop it turns to normal.
This would point to some pretty serious issues with your laptop drivers/hardware... Although if it uses an Intel integrated GPU I would not be surprised as they are pretty bad at driver compliance.

Since Windows 8, you need to force a full shutdown to get drivers reloaded at startup. A normal shutdown is nothing more than hybrid sleep, where the entire kernel (including drivers) are written to disc and restored on startup. If drivers are written properly this is no problem as they should have near infinite life. However if your drivers are written badly, or errors are induced by defective hardware or cosmic radiation then these errors will persist until a full shutdown.

One can force a full shutdown by holding shift when pressing the shutdown button. Try to full shutdown approximately every week to keep driver health up.

Status
Not open for further replies.