• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help Optimizing Drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 49
So I've been reading some stuff on the NVIDIA forums, because my Skyrim game keeps crashing. One of the pieces of advice given there is to update ALL of my drivers, not just my video card driver. So I updated my video card driver, and now I'm searching for drivers for my processor(Pentium Dual Core CPU E5500 @2.80 GHz). I found this website, but I'm not sure if it's trustable. It also doesn't have a Windows 7 64bit driver, which is what I'm looking for, seeing how I have a Win 7 64bit. :p
I'm also clueless about what other drivers I'll have to get. I'm guessing my Monitor doesn't need new drivers(the best I found is only for Windows XP, anyway. I guess my monitor is THAT ancient.), and my sound card seems to be merged with my video card or something(it says "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" in the Device Manager). I honestly don't know what else needs new drivers.

Help pl0x? :(

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Your processor should not need a driver to perform its main function (the CPU). It might need drivers for other functions like monitoring and graphics (if supported) but those should not need updating for a game to work reliably that is not using them.

Also, graphic card is GRAPHIC, not sound.
New Nvidia and AMD cards come with HDMI ports which have intigrated sound support. For this reason they have a sound driver (often installed as part of the graphic driver package) and so act as a valid audio output device.

So I've been reading some stuff on the NVIDIA forums, because my Skyrim game keeps crashing.
Make sure your computer is not overheating. This is more likly to cause a crash than out of date drivers.

Level 12
New Nvidia and AMD cards come with HDMI ports which have intigrated sound support. For this reason they have a sound driver (often installed as part of the graphic driver package) and so act as a valid audio output device.

You didn't read finish what I said, I had a BUT there ._.
It's not normal sound support, it's DIGITAL sound support, I don't know the difference either.

Deolrin is using the "non-legit" win32, that's why it won't update itself, he said it himself in the chat, so, there's no point helping.

EDIT: He just need to get a LEGIT version of win32.

Level 49
Make sure your computer is not overheating. This is more likly to cause a crash than out of date drivers.

btw, what settings are you running Skyrim? you could try lowering it down if you haven't done so...

The thing is, I am fairly certain that this is all unrelated to graphics, now. I tried setting graphics to Low, I tried using Windowed Mode, I tried updating all of my drivers... And yet, every time, when I cross one specific area(different each time; Previously, it was some kind of invisible border in the Rift area, then it became somewhere near Riverwood, now it's in the middle of Blackreach), I crash. If I don't stand in that area, I won't crash. Somehow, I just feel like this is a problem with the game, not with my computer. I installed Spybot Search & Destroy, and that apparently killed a bunch of spyware and other harmful stuff that my computer apparently had. I killed off a bunch of Startup processes that are useless, and I updated my Video Card driver. And yet the problem still occurs. Every time I cross some place, I crash. I think it can be fixed by exiting the area and entering it again, I'll try that later. I really hope Bethesda fixes their game asap. ._.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
If the engine is anything like the one used for Oblivion, these "invisible borders" are environment cell bounderies, across which it trys to load the detail for the next couple of cells and turns off the LoD for them.

Even in oblivion, 90% of the crashes I encountered were when doing this. If possible, try changing the cache settings the game uses as I did notice a correlation between crashes and cache sizes (with too large eventually always crashing during such a transition). Options to do this may or may not exist anymore and in Oblivion had to be edited manually using a program like notepad.

Level 49
I just experimented a bit, and I came to the conclusion that the problem is within the apparently big save file. I sent my 18MB big file to a friend, who ran Skyrim with no problems so far, and he crashed at the same place as I did. Furthermore, I'm not sure if I already described that problem, but when I enter a sub-region of the place in which I crash, called 'Silent City Catacombs', all I see is an infinite amount of sky, water, and the gate back to Blackreach, the main region. This applies to my friend using my save as well. I've recently started a new character, and I'm going to try and do the important quests before the rest of the game, so that my save won't get too big before I'm done with the important stuff(main quest and such). I'm going to try and teleport myself to Blackreach, and check for crashes and weird occurrences with this new character. I'll edit this post with results.

Status
Not open for further replies.