• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need help with my drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
So my video card is an ATI Radeon X1600. Anyways I've been trying to update my video drivers because I constantly have games crashing because of "Driver" or "Internal Driver Error". Recently I downloaded... I think it was driver version 8.5. I installed it, restarted my computer then checked DxDiag and guess what, it says my driver is STILL 6.14! Everytime I've downloaded a new driver update and installed it, DxDiag and systemrequirementslab.com still say that my driver is version 6.14!

So can anyone help me fix this and update my drivers?

Level 4
Don't worry, that's how it's supposed to be. That number doesn't correspond to the version of ACCC. You should look at the number displayed in Information Center - Graphics Software tab in ACCC.
Oh and better way of installing new drivers for your video card is to simply uninstall previous drivers, and then installing newer version. I would recommend doing it in such a way, because if you install new drivers on top of your old ones, you could get some undesired effects. My video card's Overdrive feature was somehow unlocked, by doing what you had done. So I uninstalled the crippled drivers and installed a new batch and the problem was fixed.

Level 13
So I am back with my problem again. I uninstalled my drivers and installed 8.12. However my games are STILL crashing due to Direct3D Error (I have ATI Radeon X1600). I also did the DxDiag Direct3D tests and passed them all.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Probably a defective or broken card. I had a 8800GT constantly crash due to driver, but it turned out it was a defective card, and since replacing it it has never crashed in the same way.

ATI cards are known to overheat, if components overheat, slight flaws become more apparent and errors may occur. Make sure your card is not too hot.

Level 15
Your power supply may also be a bit unstable or underpowering the card, there is that slight possibility as well.

Level 13
Ok, well, I came up on another reason on the internet too; people have been saying that newer versions of ATI drivers (7.9 and newer) have problems with DirectX (I have Direct3D errors so this could be it). Althought this problem was SUPPOSED to be fixed already I've seen people still complain about these problems. Could this be my problem too?

Level 34
I'd be surprised if that wasn't fixed pretty fast. I'd be more inclined to trust Sam or DSG.

Level 13
Well, I tried switching to an older driver (7.8 is the newest pre-7.9 that I've got) and well, it didn't seem to work. I guess the problem is then one of those which have been said here. I'm not sure what to do thought, I can't buy a new graphics card as I can't afford it right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.