• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Pit Lord's Crossing

(2) Pit Lord's Crossing:

Experimental 1v1 Melee Map created by Mr. Painkiller to test the limits of the difficulty players can withstand on a normal melee map. Updated after the first upload day due to amazing and helpful feedback I received.

mappic_whole.png

Features: higher level creeps and/or creeps with difficult mechanics to work with while fighting them, a diverse way to assault the opponent and a more difficult way to expand and defend the expansion. The aim of this map is see how confident players are to decide their strategy in the early stages. Will they be assaulting the opponent, safely creeping small camps or dare to fight with the bigger creeps knowing that their enemy could catch them red-handed?

Map Story (changed): The Forest of Ashenvale has been scarred from the Legion's presence. A powerful Pit Lord named Mannoroth once roamed these lands, seeking dominance over the Warsong Clan. After his fall and the heroic sacrifice of Grom Hellscream, the lands began to heal.

Creep Camps:
- 6 Green Camps
(only 6 for increased difficulty)
- 10 Orange Camps
(each of these camps tests the player against different unit mechanics)
- 6 Red Camps
(challenges the Players to take risks and earn rewards for their efforts.

Neutral Buildings:
- Tavern
(unguarded, located in the middle of the map in order to easily obtain a Neutral Hero)

- 2 Mercenary Camps (Satyr Soulstealer can be bought here, which is a very good unit for 1v1)
- 2 Goblin Laboratories (always useful in 1v1 maps, especially because of the Shredder unit)
- 2 Goblin Shops (located on the sides of the map instead of the middle bits on the way to the enemy)
- 2 Fountains of Health (guarded by Hydras but can be used at night time since the creeps sleep)
- 2 Expansion Gold mines
(closest gold mines to the player are guarded by weaker units and are located close to the river ramps, which adds an interesting take of defending the expansion and/or holding those ramps. The terrain around the expansion is mostly unbuildable in order to deny the player if he wants to mass towers on the rampside. These two expansions have a limited gold amount of 7000)

Disclaimer: This is the first melee map I've made and I completed it withing 7 hours of work, excluding future updates and changes obviously. Even though time was against me, I still believe I did achieve my goal with it. Either way I'm looking forward to hearing feedback from anyone who wants to try it out for their selves.

Edit: Figuring out how to even upload that one picture into the map's description took me longer than actually making the map so I'll just leave that one there because A) there's really no need for fancy screenshots of a melee map and B) I'm lazy.
Contents

Pit Lord's Crossing (Map)

Reviews
twojstaryjakcie
An incredibly well made and polished map, though I'm concerned with some of its features. I respect the idea of hard creep camps, but not unrewarding ones. Thunder Lizard dropping a level 2 item (it could really be changed to three, since it takes a...
WolfFarkas
I agree with twojstarjakcie, the ashenvale enviroment is nice, I like what you have done I dont mind hard creeps, but in my opinion, I think the loot should be standard, there are few things standard, neutrals buildings positions and starting...
deepstrasz
Gods, please don't upload so many versions with the same name. Delete the rest and only leave the latest one. Awaiting Update. ======================================================================================== Always check/recheck the Map...
deepstrasz
We usually use the minimap as the preview image for the map. 1. The problem with strong neutral camps near the base is that Night Elves can use Ancients of War to gain XP faster than in midgame for the other races which would require more units to...
//The aim of this map is see how confident players are to decide their strategy in the early stages.//

I like this statement.
We, warcraft 3 players are always following traditional map making which features generic elements, which makes the gameplay same all the time. In my opinion, it would be best to make some experimental melee maps which change the gameplay dramatically (without editing scripts).
Examples:
- putting very limited resources to test players who will stand last.
- all red camps
- extreme narrow paths (which you can't move your whole land army)
- odd item drops
- guarded taverns
- unbalanced starting base, so the player will face different challenges depending on which they'll be starting off.
- limited buildable land
- non-mirrored bases and
etc. etc. it should be creative and it's a good idea when every player will receive different experience, so either you will fucked up early or still thriving until the end of the game. I almost played all ladder maps and now I found them boring. (maybe I just want to try different things.)

Example of awesome map that I found here was Frozen Pass. I like this very much because it's too odd and those narrow paths have strategic and comedic value (haha). Some people will say that it's not following the traditional elements of ladder maps but fuck off! This map is enjoyable.

Last edited:
Level 8
An incredibly well made and polished map, though I'm concerned with some of its features.

I respect the idea of hard creep camps, but not unrewarding ones. Thunder Lizard dropping a level 2 item (it could really be changed to three, since it takes a lot of work to kill, especially when you play human) and a red Furbolg camp dropping a level 3 item? Feels incredibly underwhelming, especially considering the fact that the Hydra camp (which has the exact total level as the Furbolg camp) drops a level 5 item.
I'm aware that the Revenant camp is very tough, but granting the player two high-level items seems a bit extreme. One of those would surely be enough; you could replace it with a power-up, for example.
One more thing, please set the acquisition range of Thunder Lizard camp to 200 (only Gold Mine camps should really have AR of 500).

Also, I don't think adding a level one Permanent item to the Infernal Creep Camp makes much sense (the Infernal already drops a level 4 item) - too many items with little impact can be frustrating in terms of having no space in the inventory; a power-up could be put there instead. The Doom Guard camp also has this issue.

As for the visual part of the map, there's nothing to be dissatisfied with. It's beautiful, however its layout requires some improvements.

It's generally necessary for Human players to have an expansion set up early with Militia when playing against anyone except the Undead. However, this map offers only one expansion which is guarded by an Infernal and Infernal Contraptions (This means A LOT of AoE damage which hard counters most human strategies) - this means that Human players are put at a great disadvantage. I think you should find some space for an additional Gold Mine that has a bit weaker creeps which DON'T have AoE damage.

With the aforementioned improvements that can be made, I think that the map can be refreshing in terms of harder camps while being reasonably balanced at the same time.

Level 29
I agree with twojstarjakcie, the ashenvale enviroment is nice, I like what you have done

I dont mind hard creeps, but in my opinion, I think the loot should be standard, there are few things standard, neutrals buildings positions and starting positions, creeps, loots, with the eviroment you can do almost anything (except ramps bugged).

that means proper items acording to the creeps level. Is part of the balance I think, and if this is your first map I recommend you to be standard in creeps and loot because it is more easy. I also agree with twojstarjakcie that improvements can be made in the balance of the loot.

I have 3 things to sugest to improve your map.
1) The terrain, is all flat, try to use the rise and down tools, to have more wild terrain. Here is a little example, see image

upload_2017-11-12_11-33-15.png

2) Never , never put loot on banshee, I did it once, and here is the reason if you are interested to know why never put loot on banshee, see this banshee image:

upload_2017-10-30_17-46-30-png.283167

3)Improve the description, list the creeps, and neutrals you have, and screens, it doesn´t have to be too complicated but you have to sell the map,
you can use colors to call the atention to important information, there also map templates you can use.
(tutorials), check others maps to see the information they put and the organization of that info.
Sartharion Lair
Class Struggle

an example of a map template
Hallowed Dark 3.0 Final

4) minor: add (2) name map to the file, so when you have a large list of maps in a folder you dont have to open it to know is a 2 player map.

5) map name: dual of destiny: "dual" is an adjective and "of destiny" is an adverb. A substantive is missing, maybe duel of destiny. What thing is "dual" and what thing is "of destiny", water of destinny, fire of destiny. the file wc3 says dual

As it is I rate 3/5, but if you improve the map I will consider increasing my final rate.

Again really nice map for a first one, I see you have experience with the editor, 7 hours for a 96x96 is quite fast, study other maps to gain more knowledge. Good luck and see ya

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 3
An incredibly well made and polished map, though I'm concerned with some of its features.

I respect the idea of hard creep camps, but not unrewarding ones. Thunder Lizard dropping a level 2 item (it could really be changed to three, since it takes a lot of work to kill, especially when you play human) and a red Furbolg camp dropping a level 3 item? Feels incredibly underwhelming, especially considering the fact that the Hydra camp (which has the exact total level as the Furbolg camp) drops a level 5 item.
I'm aware that the Revenant camp is very tough, but granting the player two high-level items seems a bit extreme. One of those would surely be enough; you could replace it with a power-up, for example.
One more thing, please set the acquisition range of Thunder Lizard camp to 200 (only Gold Mine camps should really have AR of 500).

Also, I don't think adding a level one Permanent item to the Infernal Creep Camp makes much sense (the Infernal already drops a level 4 item) - too many items with little impact can be frustrating in terms of having no space in the inventory; a power-up could be put there instead. The Doom Guard camp also has this issue.

As for the visual part of the map, there's nothing to be dissatisfied with. It's beautiful, however its layout requires some improvements.

It's generally necessary for Human players to have an expansion set up early with Militia when playing against anyone except the Undead. However, this map offers only one expansion which is guarded by an Infernal and Infernal Contraptions (This means A LOT of AoE damage which hard counters most human strategies) - this means that Human players are put at a great disadvantage. I think you should find some space for an additional Gold Mine that has a bit weaker creeps which DON'T have AoE damage.

With the aforementioned improvements that can be made, I think that the map can be refreshing in terms of harder camps while being reasonably balanced at the same time.

I will look into improving most of the things that you have listed. And I have noticed a very stupid mistake on my part with the Furbolg camps: apparently I have put 3 Furbolgs and 1 Elder Shaman into the top camp making it an orange camp, but I've put 2 Furbolgs and 2 Elder Shaman on the bottom one, making it a red camp xD. Thanks for the feedback, I'll do my best to balance it out.

Level 6
Nice fast map for 1 vs 1 battle . Keep making map ,you have a talent to make a classical melee maps.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Gods, please don't upload so many versions with the same name. Delete the rest and only leave the latest one.

Awaiting Update.

========================================================================================

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

Screenshots could attract more players to download your work. Make the best of them.

A credits list is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated.

A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.

To make your work run smoother, fix the so called leaks: Triggers - Memory Leaks and Custom Scripts

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
We usually use the minimap as the preview image for the map.

1. The problem with strong neutral camps near the base is that Night Elves can use Ancients of War to gain XP faster than in midgame for the other races which would require more units to face said camps because tower control is sloppy whilst the Night Elven uprooted buildings are basically units.
2. Expansions don't have enough wood, not even the second/farthest.

A polished map aside from those mentions.

Approved.

==========================================

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

Screenshots could attract more players to download your work. Make the best of them.

A credits list is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated.

A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!

Last edited:
Level 3
We usually use the minimap as the preview image for the map.

1. The problem with strong neutral camps near the base is that Night Elves can use Ancients of War to gain XP faster than midgame when the other races would require more units to face said camps because tower control is sloppy whilst the Night Elven buildings are basically units.
2. Expansions don't have enough wood, not even the second/farthest.

A polished map aside from those mentions.

Approved.

Thanks for the approval and feedback. I will look into those elements and update the map soon.

Level 29
loot review

1) I was cheking the loot and there are no items charged level 2, 3 and 4, there are charged level 6 wich is an atomic bomb,
but the low level charged items give you item diversity

2) another thing, you put charged level 1 to goldmine creeps there are not existing charged items level 1 is the same as looting nothing.

3) Also avoid putting permanent item level 3 to goblin markets creeps because markets sells items level 3 so is redundant. Charged level 3 is more accurate I think. You already have permanent level 3 in mercenary camps so you dont need it in the goblin markets.

4)
-the level 26 red creeps loots near the tavern in the water loots: charged level 6 and a level 7 random (artifact, attack + 15; defense + 5; ice orb, teleport knife)
-the level red 28 creeps loots in corner goldmines: permanent level 4 and 1 charged level 1 (nothing)
this is not very balanced
always set the items level acording to the level of the creeps (that doesnt mean unit creep level six item level six).

5) orange creeps at corners loot a charged level 6, that is ok for a red creep. For an orange a charged level 6 is too much I think, a level 4 and a book level 2 is ok. Also having two (x2) creeps looting a charged level 6 I think is too much, it is the deamon, the pandaren warrior, the infernal, and the lord of ice you can get those rewards should be rare.

6) Green creeps satyrs looting a permanent level 3 is too much (I was spoted for puting a charged level 2 in a green creep level 7)
green creeps loots books level 1 and permanent level 1. Permanent level 1 are not being used in this map

again I sugest you to study loot systems (other maps and tutorials) for this map and for the maps you plan to make in the future and imitate standards because you can:
-loose item diversity
-have umbalanced relations, like a green creep looting the same as an orange creep (which is happening in your map)

I increase my rate to 4/5 but to reach the 5/5 the loot system should be more standard

again very nice map, improve the loot system, this map deserve`s it.