• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Pit Lord

logobig-png.283247

A small clan of orc demon worshippers hid themselves from their pursuers in the mountains. It is only a matter of time when they are discovered and slaughtered. In desperation, their warlocks commence a ritual to summon a great demon to aid them against their foes...

"The Pit Lord" is a custom campaign for WarCraft 3: The Frozen Throne. The campaign is made for the fans of the origianl game and with "old-school spirit". Approximately an hour of gameplay.

Features.
  1. Altered orc techtree. New mechanics for an old game.
  2. New music.
  3. New game mechanics. For example destruction of city environment and enslavement of the population.
The campaign is composed of two chapters. Each chapter has a specific mechanic to it. There are three difficulty levels. There are four cinematics. A new hero. Two new units. Two new buildings. About four completely new spells. All aimed to provide a new feel to the race.

wc3scrnshot_103117_182322_01-jpg.283243

wc3scrnshot_102917_084408_01-jpg.283244

wc3scrnshot_102017_143227_02-jpg.283245
full

Credits (Credits and contributors. - Повелитель Бездны / Модмейкинг - XGM: Xtream Game Modmaking).

Changelog.
v3.1.
* Replaced first three spells of Pit Lord with new ones.
* Fixed bug with optional quest in second map. Now only civilians count as sacrifices. Changed the reward also.
* Changed the reward of "An appetizer" optional quest to modify ultimate spell of the hero.
* In the first chapter wizards now follow and defend the archmage from their base, instead of building from the outposts themselves. Barracks and farms from the outposts were removed.
* Added in-game credits on a separate map.
v2
* Fixed bug with skipping intro cinematic in second chapter.
* Increased cooldown of Invitation spell.
* Improved performance of custom spells.
* Minor error fixes.
Contents

Pit Lord (Campaign)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Please write a proper credits list, don't just link to another site. 1. Things happen too fast in the intro to make proper sense. 2. Spells are basically Warcraft III ones. 3. Searing Arrow with changed icon? Really!? 4. Catch him before your forces...
Walichrage
I beat this campaign on normal and it wasn't that hard unless you use proper strategy. I'm not sure if this is intented, but in first mission training any other units (like grunts, raiders and even towers) than warlocks, feel mostly like traps. 7...
deepstrasz
Replayed this on easy to my shame :) sorry guys, me noob big time. I still get a ping on the northeastern circle of power even though the wizard is nowhere to be seen after being "killed" a third time. The timer still works though. Actually, he...
Level 5
I have ideas of new campaigns that reference events in The Pit Lord. They too would be short. I develop this starting from what game mechanics I find interesting and able to implement. Not story.

Level 11
It you ever consider making a campaign, you could make a sequel to these two short chapters. I suggest making a Warcraft 2 event campaign about how this orcish clan got lost on the mountains and how they are being hunted by humans who wish to exterminate them to the last orc. But that's only my suggestion, everything is up to you. By the way, it was interesting defending the base in chapter 1 and I find it a real challenge :)

Level 2
I liked this but it comes with the problem that most maps even the really good ones come with the darn ai is too smart part of this may be my own stupidity but I found it frustrating to build up a small army in the time allowed before the first attack and was utterly rekt by the humans after my almost lose (thank you whosyourdaddy) i was told there were backup my first reaction was WHAT! how am I supposed to deal with backup aaaaand not die to the main base calm down you can do this so I put on my best kick #&$ hat and went to work got a defense set up dealt with the backup built a army and went to attack only to all the darn siege engines that lordoran has in my backyard okay fine you have delt with tactics like this so i used demons to kill the tanks only to have my already hurt army be killed by the castle towers and the left over engines charge my base. It is also about time for the second backup group to arrive and got rekt by them so cheated to second level my complaint too many gosdarn cup caking human towers the missile towers eat my army and so on

overall I did like it really good layout liked the look liked the feel of the race and story had me hook line and sinker with the first words i cant wait for more and I understand the challenge of map making i do it myself

Techno X)

Level 5
@TechnoWolf The AI was supposed to be much better. The archmage was supposed to use spells reactively. He was also supposed to be walking around with bodyguards. Wizards actually do try to protect him. You can see them doing so if you reveal the map with a cheat. But due to API limitations AI fails at going anywhere in time.

In the end I simplified the AI much.

Level 2
@TechnoWolf The AI was supposed to be much better. The archmage was supposed to use spells reactively. He was also supposed to be walking around with bodyguards. Wizards actually do try to protect him. You can see them doing so if you reveal the map with a cheat. But due to API limitations AI fails at going anywhere in time.

In the end I simplified the AI much.

I can understand the limitations and after going back and looking at the ai i could see that they did try to protect the mage and can understand that when you attack one the whole human army *^&%ing there pants to come help after replaying the map with more time to put into it i beat it but it was a struggle take no offence bc i know i can come off mean or like a jerk i really do like your map

Techno X)

Level 6
Damm this was a fun campaign too bad it's kind of short i love the AI in the first chapter the wizards and footman protect the Archmage really well they defend him till the last man one hell of a fight and i find the back up unit kind of weak

Level 3
Short but really nice campaign. I realy like how warlocks are done. Invitation spell is great, but it lack better description ( You could at least point out, that 7 warlock summon the most powerful demon), same problem with blood pact.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Please write a proper credits list, don't just link to another site.

1. Things happen too fast in the intro to make proper sense.
2. Spells are basically Warcraft III ones.
3. Searing Arrow with changed icon? Really!?
4. Catch him before your forces are overrun but it's an optional quest!?
5. You're supposed to be ready to face the first aerial and ground attacks, a thing you are not unless you know those Gryphon will come in order to train raiders instead of Grunts which leaves you vulnerable against normal attack type (Footmen). You have no other vs air units other than the Warlocks..
6. The Archmage's teleport pattern is random which may leave the player either at a disadvantage or advantage.
7. Try not to have the Archmage's troops and the dwarven troops attack at the same time.
8. 4-5 Siege Tanks? Is this a joke? Why even try building towers anyway?

I'm sorry, but at the moment, the gameplay is a major annoyance. I am no hardcore player and I don't want to be. Games are supposed to relax you. Someone else will have to give you a full review.

Awaiting Update.

==========================================================

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

A credits list is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated.

A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.

To make your work run smoother, fix the so called leaks: Triggers - Memory Leaks and Custom Scripts

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!

Level 3
I beat this campaign on normal and it wasn't that hard unless you use proper strategy. I'm not sure if this is intented, but in first mission training any other units (like grunts, raiders and even towers) than warlocks, feel mostly like traps. 7 warlocks can summon Voidlord that last for 1min. Spell have 30s cd so u can have 2 at once. When u have 28(or more) of warlocks, enemy wave like 5 siege tanks indeed seems like joke, because they die so easily (Voidlord have 70 chaos, fast dmg and 1500hp). Then u can do ctrl+a on enemy base and win. I think the main problem here is lack of any other viable startegy (unless u go super sayain god or ask about daddy), and this strategy isn't too obvious. Maybe pointing out, that warlock is main unit of the clan with extremly powerful spell, should help making this more obvious( i restarted mission ~5 times before realized this). Also optional quest seems more like an achievment than thing, that should help u win. I mean with warlock strategy gryphon are obliterated easlly by warlocks basic attacks and only danger lies with dwarf base attacks. So much easier is first destroy dwarf base and then catch that archmage, than otherwise. Maybe swap the main task with the optional one is a good idea? Or just make dwarf fortyfication much stronger and shift the dwarf base attack power to archmage attack.

In second chapter, again win startegy isn't obvious one( restarted 20 times before realizing). First, fact that player is supposed to destroy that fruit shop wasn't obvius at all. Maybe just put these building items on the ground near strating place? Probably pointing out that player is supposed to build a base among houses woundn't hurt (For the first few times I was looking for a gold mine). Then only viable startegy is tower spam, then warlock spam. First, tower spam, only because there is no way to train warlocks before u are overwhelmed by anemy attack and moreover enemy doesn't use arrtylery making tower much more powerful. Optional quest is pointless and bugged or intrested but implemented in weird way. I mean, reward for sacrifice villagers as healing is meaningless (we have that troll already) and reward for whole quest is sad (useless item(voidlord are ranged)). However, the next sacrifices still grant u with that item and i mean each one, so basically u gain 200 gold for each next villager( that item is worth 200 gold when sold). Probably it's just bug, but i feel something like that (or pack of POWERFUL deamons) should be quite reasonable, for that kind of quest.

Summarizing: I think adding some hints, what player is supposed to do would be nice. Also rethink if optional quest are more like chalenges as is now and point that fact out or just rebalance them in way, that completion them, help with winning map.

Anyway, I like this campaign and hopefully this wall of text will help you in any way to improve it.

Level 5
@deepstrasz
I am not making it any easier. I can complete it without losing a single unit on easy difficulty. And I am not a hardcore player. So far 3 of 15 people complained about difficulty.
Spells are chosen or created with game balance in mind. Not the rule-of-cool.
Whether or not random teleport pattern is bad is debateble. I was not too sure about it myself. In the end, I decided to make the game more replayable by making teleport pattern random.
I will make a separate map for credits.

@Walicharge

You were very helpful! Yes, warlocks are overpowered. In the end I simply decided that bossing demons with different abilities and appearence is more fun than making a balanced army.
Yes, archmage and his reinforcemetns are weak due to positioning.Originally wizards didn't have a base. I wanted the player to kill the archmage only once. But that proved to be too easy for a player to do due to AI API restrictions.
Yes, enemy doesn't use artillery in second chapter because of fear of starting a fire in the city. I think I forgot to make a transmission.
I will make more hints in the second chapter.

The bug with the quest reward will be fixed.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I am not making it any easier. I can complete it without losing a single unit on easy difficulty.
I played on normal. It's your campaign, of course you're sooo good.... You haven't answered anything about varied strategies with the available units. I'll retry on easy. See how things'll go when I'll have the time.
Spells are chosen or created with game balance in mind. Not the rule-of-cool.
That doesn't make the game interesting. But, it's up to you to raise the overall quality or not.

Level 5
> You haven't answered anything about varied strategies with the available units
I did. See what I answered to the second review. Regarding warlocks, archmage and lack of artillery in the second chapter. Walichrage completely uncovered all that was to offer.
I am fine with 3/5 rating, as I said in map development thread.
+
Lack of anti-air units is completely intentional too. I thought it was obvious.

Level 11
Hetgrum said:
You were very helpful! Yes, warlocks are overpowered. In the end I simply decided that bossing demons with different abilities and appearence is more fun than making a balanced army.

Maybe make it so instead it summons a random demon, like an Imp that throws Fireballs and has a healing aura, a Voidwalker with Taunt and maybe something like a wisp's detonate, and a Succubus with Invisibility and a Curse-like ability. Mind you that I'm just spit balling ideas.

Also, maybe for the second chapter, have a side quest where you can train Forest Trolls to help you out by, say, rescuing their leader, since ranged seems to be a weakpoint for the orcs.

Level 5
> Maybe make it so instead it summons a random demon, like an Imp that throws Fireballs and has a healing aura, a Voidwalker with Taunt and maybe something like a wisp's detonate, and a Succubus with Invisibility and a Curse-like ability. Mind you that I'm just spit balling ideas.
I want at least one type of summon to have dispel. Currently the only solution against casters is out-shooting them with Magic Stalker's Mana Leech and Warlock's Searing Arrow. (Actually, that brings me to an idea. Increase both damage and manacost of Searing Arrow, to make using Mana Leech more important.)

Invisibility is a great idea, though! This will provide a reliable scout and a saving ability. Thank you.

Ideally, it must be a single type of unit, but with increased stats with each powerlevel. Similarly to how heroees' summons work. This will be balanced. And boring.

I didn't make summoned demons random because I wanted the player to learn available abilities and form strategies based on that knowledge. It didn't work quite as well, as Greater Voidwalker outperforms everything else. I will attempt a rework of the spell if someone volunteers to test it out.

> Also, maybe for the second chapter, have a side quest where you can train Forest Trolls to help you out by, say, rescuing their leader, since ranged seems to be a weakpoint for the orcs.
This was actualy intended. It was scrapped because I screwed up level design and didn't want to redo it. The concept of the level is to not lose units in the first place, hence the new healing ability. Therefore I limited myself to trolls being rescuable and not recruiteable. Maybe I will make the troll priest give out the location of other prisoners right-away.

Level 3
Good campaign. :)

I found a bug on the second mission, the award you get for sacrificing 100 villagers gets repeated every time you do it after the 100 mark.

Also, that first mission was hard as %$§, my dude! The second one in comparison is a cake walk!

Level 11
Good campaign. :)

I found a bug on the second mission, the award you get for sacrificing 100 villagers gets repeated every time you do it after the 100 mark.

Also, that first mission was hard as %$§, my dude! The second one in comparison is a cake walk!
I agree. I found first mission very hard since the humans were spamming with constant attacks and I was running low on lumber. And, yes, I found that same bug too. Whenever I killed a human villager, the treasure dropped. I used that bug to sell those items to get more gold resources :D

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Replayed this on easy to my shame :) sorry guys, me noob big time.

1. I still get a ping on the northeastern circle of power even though the wizard is nowhere to be seen after being "killed" a third time. The timer still works though. Actually, he wasn't teleported on the circle and I didn't see him in the dark until I got there.
  2. There's quite the difference between easy and normal. Normal is a bit more toward hard. I don't want to know how hard is.
  3. Maybe you can find another icon for the Peculiar Gem to not have it look like the Gem of True Seeing.
  4. Undead guarding a Way Gate to green dragons :p
  5. You can potentially block Siege Tanks on the bridge using units like Demolishers.
  6. There are two demons with Devour Magic. Not sure if that should stay like that for variety's sake.
  7. Try using the other trigger to play music so that it doesn't play as sound.
Chap2:
-small units as Footmen can get through city buildings.
-well, on easy you can get directly to their castle with the starting force you've got+Infernal+summon demon :D but the level is pretty convoluted with no good place where to set a base. I think destroying the castle first is intended although you don't get a specific/explanatory main quest afterwards regarding the villagers. Alright... so I had to destroy more farms in the hill base to win the level...
-destroying the castle on the hill doesn't really help with the other bases attacking. I mean, you're not being undisturbed.
-there's no need to upgrade to a Fortress as all upgrades are researched.
-don't know why the Troll Regeneration research is there...

Approved, however a campaign should have more than 2 maps unless they provide at least 3-4 hours of game time.

You can complete it without losing a single unit because you are a creator and know what strategy to use. But to the others it may look much different. Generally is better to have first chapters shorter and easier, otherwise it can deter new players and not engaging them if they hit a wall already at the beginning.

Level 1
I don't understand the Chapter 2 with the optimal Quest "An appetizer". How can i capture Civilians and sacrifize ther? The Monument of Domination can't targeted enemy Units...

Level 3
I don't understand the Chapter 2 with the optimal Quest "An appetizer". How can i capture Civilians and sacrifize ther? The Monument of Domination can't targeted enemy Units...
use the raider to ensnare the villager to command them go into range sacrifize of The Monument of Domination

Level 3
use the raider to ensnare the villager to command them go into range sacrifize of The Monument of Domination

You also have to do this while a raider is nearby so you can maintain control over that particular villager before sacrificing the poor guy.

This is a interesting game mechanic that can be a little infuriating at times. I would definitely recommend a few modifications on the formula to the campaign creator if i knew anything about map making.

Level 8
Hello, Mr. Hetgrum. I am a Chinese player. I like this campaign(Pit Lord) very much. I am wondering whether you allow me to translate this campaign into Chinese, so that more Chinese players who do not understand English can also enjoy your wonderful campaign. Looking forward to your reply.

Level 5
Hello, Mr. Hetgrum. I am a Chinese player. I like this campaign(Pit Lord) very much. I am wondering whether you allow me to translate this campaign into Chinese, so that more Chinese players who do not understand English can also enjoy your wonderful campaign. Looking forward to your reply.

Sorry for the late reply. I just updated the campaign. See the changelog. Sure, you, and whoever else is interested, are free to modify and redistribute this bundle however you see fit.

Level 28
Learn Inferno tooltip is missing.
Warlock upgrade tooltip says Cripple instead of Invocation.

First level:
It's possible to end the reinforcements quest early if the wizard triggers his invulnerability, he tries to run to the next site but can be goaded into attacking.
Possibly related to the above, the teal wizard just gets up and leaves during the end cutscene.
When the teal base is destroyed, the message has (null) after it.
There's a ghost in a closed-off area on the south border with several powerups, how are you supposed to get to her?