• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Phoenix Trial #1 - Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
And another wonderful competition has reached its deadline here at Hive Workshop. I have to admit that I did not expect so many submissions in such a short time. I find Phoenix Trial a complete success. However, the contest is not yet, as it's time for you to vote. Be careful for who you vote, as the percentage of votes will count in determining the final mark (50% of it actually!!!). Moreover, as I trust the community so much, I shall take into consideration for the final prize only the top 5 entries!

Below, there is a table with all the icons. Each contestant was given 3 chances to impress you with his/her art. This doesn't mean that contestants who submitted two or even only one icon are worst than the others. Through your vote, you should mention the following:
1. The contestant
2. The icon you liked most - this is not a pack contest. Do not vote because as a whole the three icons looked better than a single one. Multiple chances are allowed to actually give the author the opportunity to express him/herself in the way he/she feels like. Therefore, not every has to like the same icon for an author to have the most votes.
3. Reason for your vote. Reasons are very important. And don't just say "because it's pretty".

Due to the elements above, the "Votes" table shall be manually updated (besides, the forum allows only up to 10 options per poll :wink: ).

And remember, the vote counts only as 50% from the total mark, but the top five contestants go to the next "stage".

Note: Contestants are also allowed to vote, but not for their own icons. You may say "why should I vote as it doesn't help me one bit?". True! But you are also members of the community so it would be very nice to do so. After all, may the best win. :)

ContestantIcon #1Icon #2Icon #3
Dalaran_GuardMirror of AntiquityForesightReflection
BlackDoomAmbushUncanny PerceptionMesmerize
HeeroReflect LightReflect SpellShield of Reflection
TechnomancerBroken Mirror------------------
HappyTaurenAlien Baby Triple Mask------------------
OdinRune of ReflectionMagic Cauldron---------
WerewulfDemon MirrorDemon GazeBeetle Queen Mirror
Gromhellscream666Reflection of Fire------------------
ChaosShellMirror ShieldReflection
Camel’s humpPremonitionProtective ReflectionBeacon of Light
brad.dude03Icon #1------------------
ChrizFrightening RealityFrightening ChangeVanity
Herio-SanPhoenix Tears------------------
Votes
ContestantVotes
Dalaran_Guard1
BlackDoom2
Heero1
Technomancer0
HappyTauren0
Odin0
Werewulf11
Gromhellscream6660
Chaos2
Camel's Hump2
brad.dude030
Chriz8
Herio-San0
Good luck everybody & happy voting to the community.

Deadline: 1st of April 2007 (0:00 AM, GMT).

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Wow, great turnout.

I'll figure out who I vote for .

Level 8
Yes it'll take time to choose the best. Couldn't you show up all the images instead of their links, or is there a limit of pictures in one thread ? If so create a screenshot of all of them, it'll make it a lot easier to compare them all without opening 20 tabs for them ?

Chaos

Level 6
Yes it'll take time to choose the best. Couldn't you show up all the images instead of their links, or is there a limit of pictures in one thread ? If so create a screenshot of all of them, it'll make it a lot easier to compare them all without opening 20 tabs for them ?

Chaos

Agreed...learn [img.][/img] xD

Anyway i vote for:
Chriz - Icon#2 - Frightening Change

its very cool.

Last edited:
Level 11
Good luck with making those images work with [img.] [/img]. Don't think I didn't try it... only for two people worked. All the rest were just links as they are attachments and do not have image extension. and I'm not going to spend all my night to post this thread by attaching the icons... give it another try. I'm not as stupid as you think I am.

Same chaos... I spent a lot with the table anyway. Don't make me change things now please. Maybe next time. You're only opening them once anyway.

~Daelin

Level 10
A very tough choice from a bunch of great icons. Very tough to choose. However, my vote goes to: Werewulf's "Beetle Queens Mirror".
Reasons I am voting for this icon is it looks like it would easily fit with the other warcraft 3 icons, it looks like it has depth to it (it looks like the border is over the actual thing, not that the border is sitting on the top of a picture), the colours work well, I like the reflection of the eyes in the mirror, and various other small things.

Last edited:
Level 19
I'm still thinking.
Basing it on the judging which Daelin said.
- Creativity. The icon idea is pretty important.
-> A mirror is a simple idea for reflection, I will seek an advanced idea.
(sorry for all those that have a mirror)
- Blizzard feeling. Make the icon in such a manner that it can be implemented in a Warcraft map and goes well with the other blizzard icons.
-> I will be looking also to this, if the icon should fit well with the blizzard's ones.
- Technical Note. The quality of the icon is the most important thing. Try to keep it detailed yet clear (throwing a lot of elements in a 64x64 image will most of the time look crowded).
-> This is an important part, I need to be sure what I see in the icon.
-> This is also another important part for to the 'Blizzard Feeling' because a too detailed icon/3d icon isn't really blizz-like.
So I'm still thinking... I'll download the ones I like, and test them in a map to see which ones fit the best.

~- Heero

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

The few favorites I had were as follows.

Magic Cauldron.

Beetle Queen's Mirror.

Reflective Protection.

I chose camel's_hump's Protective reflection, because it is simple, not too over done, and that would make it useful. I like the texture of the fog, and the color as well. The lighting on the lightning is very bright, which enhances the effect.

All in all a really nice icon.

So: camel's_hump - Protective Reflection.

Edit by Daelin: Votes taken into consideration down to this post.

Level 9
The Magic Cauldron would have been my choice... yet it needs some more work (the water seems too flat and perpendicular on the view axis... the ripples would have looked better if following ellipses not circles... the finger should have been fading towards the edge of the cauldron...).

My vote goes for Werewulf's Demon Mirror.

I like it because it has a nice W3 feeling and the atmosphere it produces is well related to its name, without being overestimated. Furthermore, it respects the requirements of the contest in the first place - reflection and so on...
Good job, Wulfy!. :)

This was indeed a difficult vote, so many great submissions, I really like Werewulfs, she's great at icons 'n' skins 'n' stuff.

But my vote goes to Black Dooms "Uncanny Perception" BTN.

Ok, really didn't see Daelins edit over here, dunno if that means that I can't vote...

Level 1
It was between dalran guards mirror of antiquity and frightening reality by chriz but i have to vote for dalaran guard. I really liked his/her icon concepts for the first two entries

Level 8
There is no way to win against that skilled challengers, Werewulf, Chriz., camel_hump made me feel like a totally beginner in that content, I am btw ... finally my vote goes to Chriz. and Frightening Reality, it fits best into the warcraft theme, and he did a great job, looks to me very warcraft stylish, no offence to the other ones, your are great too.

My vote: Chriz. - Frightening Reality

Chaos

Level 19
There are much icons here, but the only ones I found that are fitting in warcraft 3 are those from Chriz. .

He is using a mirror, but with some nice variation.
The graphics are fitting perfectly into wacraft 3.
Frightening Change is the best icon that may fit in warcraft 3.

I saw much votes going to Werewulf, they are good as well but they just won't fit in warcraft 3.

Great work Chriz. !

Level 11
Normally reasoning is required, and it's quite a pity that not many have followed my advice, though I specifically mentioned in the first post that "3. Reason for your vote. Reasons are very important. And don't just say "because it's pretty"." I hope this won't happen in the future voting sessions.

Votes taken into consideration down to this post.

~Daelin

Level 8
"My vote's for Wolfy for the Demon Gaze and that Beetle Queen Mirror"
My reason is since they would work well with a lot of different abilities/items etc and seem to fit right in with the style of icons I try to use.

Level 8
I bet most voter just saw the name and voted for the guys who is most famous around the community, even without taking a look into all of them.

No offence, but that's the feeling I get of these votings and past ones.

Seems like Werewulf is gonna win this one, grats and well done.

Chaos

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Well I apologize for being a moderator and entering a contest. I suppose we shouldn't be allowed to enter due to our title?

Or did you think maybe it's possible that Werewulf actually does produce good work?

Level 36
Chaos said:
I bet most voter just saw the name and voted for the guys who is most famous around the community, even without taking a look into all of them.

Absolutely not true. You know why? I'm HELLA famous, and I have 0 votes. Thus completely disproving your theory.

Whoops, there goes the ego again... kidding, but it made for a good joke.

Regardless, I don't think so at all, there are plenty of lesser known members that are competing and doing a good job, but when it comes down to it, it's all talent and how good it looks...

Level 8
Regardless, I don't think so at all, there are plenty of lesser known members that are competing and doing a good job, but when it comes down to it, it's all talent and how good it looks...

I agree with Brad. Yes, the well-known members are doing better than many newer members, but in most cases the old members are more experienced and skilled. You surely can't expect new, inexperienced members to do better than members that have been going at this kind of stuff for years. Anyway, that's my two cent's worth...

Level 9
1) Notice that there are not so many voters. This should concern us more than what you have previously posted.

2) Talent can beat the crap out of experience. And reverse. So they should not be taken into account when evaluating a piece of art.

Anything else?

Level 32
Voting Ethics

[off-topic] Just to remind everyone to maintain an impeachable level of integrity and to use their ballots wisely:
[off-topic] I strongly encourage everyone NOT to view the poll results, read the posts in voting threads (except for this one lol) or listen to any smalltalk about polls before they have exercised their own vote.

Just D/L the resources, test them the best that you can and make your own decision based on your own results. THEN post in the thread and THEN vote. (JMO)

[highlight]Our decisions MUST be based on (our opinions of) the substance of the matter: the quality of those resources in question, NOT ANY OTHER mitigating or qualifying irrelevancies![/code]

Level 8
[off-topic] Just to remind everyone to maintain an impeachable level of integrity and to use their ballots wisely:

[highlight]Our decisions MUST be based on (our opinions of) the substance of the matter: the quality of those resources in question, NOT ANY OTHER mitigating or qualifying irrelevancies![/code]

None is following this :eekani:

And I did not mean that the famous and older member of this community aren't skilled, they got a lot more experienced and so they are great of what they are doing, and I do not want to attack any moderator of any section, because they got their titles not for free, so you misunderstood, but I just want to show you my point of view.

Chaos

Level 9
well...i go for wulfy's demon gaze...

i always seem to like wulfy's works best...at modeling too...(maybe it was because he made gnolls?)

also-only when i attempted to register i realized you took wc3sear's user list!
and i was a "view only" so long because i didnt have the energy to register...

Level 32
Phoenix Trial #1

Congratulations to ALL the contestants for their fine submissions. Regardless of which competitor emerges victorious in this challenge the real winners are we resource consumers who will reap the benefits from our editors' hard work. My evaluation of (my favorite) entries stands as follows.

Chaos
Shell
BTN_Shell.jpg
This icon is my favorite in terms of pure looks: it's gorgeous.

Werewulf
Demon Gaze
icons_3920_btn.jpg
Brilliant, simply brilliant.

Chriz.
Frightening Change
icons_3933_btn.jpg
For genuine artistic quality this icon stand, at the top.

camel's_hump
Protective Reflection
ProtectiveReflection.jpg
This icon is the most "war3 like" it may be the most useful of the lot.

Odin
Rune of Reflection
BTNRuneofreflection.jpg
Another very useful Warcraft III icon.

BlackDoom
Ambush
allviewambushmirrordaggwa1.jpg
This is a very creative and unusual icon.

The icons are all good: I have not mentioned ALL of them (no slight intended). Making a clear cut definitive judgment in this poll was was rather difficult. The theme of the contest was extremely challenging as was meeting those requirements. I therefore cast my ballot on that basis in favor of Ambush by BlackDoom

• Meeting the challenge - Ambush reflects the wielder's vision in the weapon.
  • Uniqueness - This icon is very unusual.
  • Creativity - Ambush reflects a great deal of "thinking outside the box."
phoenixtrialambushmirrozw3.jpg

:grin:

I hope that all the contestants who have yet to do so will convert their WIPs into .blp files and submit them to The Hive's Icon resource section. Werewulf and I will then see to their approval ASAP. Good job everyone!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.