• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Philosophy and time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
i think that Gilles just thinks you mean people do things selfishly in evil ways.
like thinking to yourself "ill be nice to this person so he may help me in the future".

but thats not what V.I (and me) means. socilazing and love is an impulsive drive people have and it affects our mood aswell.

Level 34
I know what you mean, I just disagree about that drive being selfish. It doesn't really matter in the end anyways.

V.I

V.I

Level 5
Well, with that theory, nothing matters in the end. I mean, we're all dying, right?

Level 7
with most theorys nothing matters in the end XD

unless there i a god or afterlife, and then what we do here probebly matters.

Level 34
Well, with that theory, nothing matters in the end. I mean, we're all dying, right?
Theory? What theory? :p

It just means that regardless of whether or not we do things for selfless reasons, we are capable of doing good, for whatever reason, and that's all that matters.

V.I

V.I

Level 5
I think that's a pretty 'hand-offish' answer, but I'd settle for that:

Humans have the capacity to do good and usually do in order to please a given stimulus, be it a selfish drive or a perceived god.

Level 27
As I stated, we spend an extremely short amount of time on Earth, why waste it (like many people already have) wondering and pondering the meaning of our existence?
Comparatively, yes. More precisely, compared to geologic of cosmic time scales, we live a very small amount of time. Compared to the minuscule amount of time we call a second, we live eons.

It is apparent if you have ever experienced boredom that, our perception of time produce very long lives.
Elenai, I believe this is how your logic works.
Were you going to back that up?
Since when are others trying to get people into Heaven?
I know I wish it. If I could get everyone into heaven, I would do it at any cost, including hell, except my core existence. That was how I was before, anyway. Logic has overruled my initial nature.
We can never really prove they were selfless or not because we cannot read each others thoughts.
Yes.

Note, everyone, that this cuts both ways. I cannot prove something is purely selfless, but neither can you prove it has a selfish root.
we are just a bunch of flesh, blood and bones
I know there exists something more to me than flesh, blood, or bones. I know this because I can perceive. I know that I exist at a core level, because, lacking all other senses, I can think.

I think, therefore I am.

I can't speak for you though.
The meaning of life is to catch the cursor in steelstallion's signature.
It truly is.
The only true selfless act is an atheist who saves someone, but dies in the process
That's the only one that would prove complete altruism, anyway.
we need a driving force to make us do something
What if there was someone who didn't?
There is no end for nothing to matter. Were there an end, it would not, in the end, matter.

Given that self-destructive things destroy themselves, this leaves only the self-preserving and apathetic. Statistically, half of the apathetic will be destroyed, leaving two parts selfish and and one part apathetic. When you factor extended periods of time in, the apathetic are continually halved, leaving most selfish.

One might be tempted to think that there exists no thing that is not selfish. One might even go so far as to say that every action has a root cause that is selfish. Either way, proving it is likely impossible.

I personally think there is purely altruistic action. But maybe that's just me.

Last edited:

V.I

V.I

Level 5
I think everyone likes to think that altruism does exist, you've just gotta' have a little faith. And some intoxicating substances.

Oh, and as for the time quote, a man once said that you can spend an hour in the company of a good woman, and it'll feel like a minute, whereas you can spend a minute in agony and it can feel like an hour. God damn relativity, 'ey?

V.I

V.I

Level 5
What about both? BDSM

I don't think you quite understood the pretext, and were trying a tad bit too hard to be funny there. It basically means 'do something you enjoy, and it'll seem to last for a short amount of time, do something you don't, and it'll seem to go on forever'.

Level 5
I don't think you quite understood the pretext, and were trying a tad bit too hard to be funny there. It basically means 'do something you enjoy, and it'll seem to last for a short amount of time, do something you don't, and it'll seem to go on forever'.
The only part of that I agree with is sleeping. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.