• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

personal thoughts on Shadowlands: Bastion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
but hey it's better than Maldraxxus, also we were all expecting either Cenarius, Vol'jin, or the Night Elves; but nah it's that bear in WotLK
It's not about that, it doesn't really matter. The thing is, in Bastion one(like in pretty much every Harbinger and Warbringer) you have epic scenes, like Uther's death, Arthas death, character development, WotLK epilogue. While in Maldraxxus and Ardenweald ones you've got none of those.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
It's not about that, it doesn't really matter. The thing is, in Bastion one(like in pretty much every Harbinger and Warbringer) you have epic scenes, like Uther's death, Arthas death, character development, WotLK epilogue. While in Maldraxxus and Ardenweald ones you've got none of those.
Not surprising, when everything is a mishmash, each story having a different writer.
Watch Shadowlands Afterlives: Ardenweald

Level 11
the path should be broadening the heart instead of the vengeance, guess this angel-like being asking for Uther to revenge after is not even an angel-like being herself. when Uther said "for justice" instead of for the vengeance he should free Arthas since the justice path is not to take people's life but understanding the importance of the life, that we suffer together instead of doing it again, applying it again to some people. seems that angel-like being (she) and Uther are flawed angel-like beings, those two must not be chosen - - > > no one is chosen. so to think about the true alternative way of the story timeline since the story the video tells is just about a game, that something might be shown as flawed or just for the character plot ongoing ways or the storytelling of the plot to make it spicy although I don't prefer that 'she' at all, the course must be abandoned, Arthas will understand and know the true purpose of the paladin, or rather the justice soul together instead of just individually. (but it will never happen) when Arthas said "I see.. only darkness.. before me" meant he never saw the light, then show him the light instead of throwing him to Maw, (but still it will never happen) guess Maw will raise Arthas, Arthas arrised from Maw, or in the other way, as the next or the upcoming expansion, but soon. but since Arthas did a lot of the wrongness, he is not forgiven-able, and that only he knows himself by his saying, (by saying this it is contradict, I know) that's why, just like the normal life people. But, the people (like Arthas) will never understand, hence the throwing to Maw. (Arthas finally see the light, but the light catches him. yep it is like the police arresting the terrorists)

Edit: Still, the justice is served.

Edit 2: I was editing the post while after the writing, so you might see some weird statements which contradict the other, lol.
It's like when one (me) tries to edit but there are lots needed to claim instead, that's why

Edit 3: it is messy omegalul, will think again before the entering of the texts. (yeah plus with my replies)
All these wow movies are massive cringe in my opinion. And what are they going to do now? Revive Uther? I would ask of any good video game company - why the hell would you do something like this? But this is blizz... Of course they'll retcon character deaths just to milk EVERY LAST DROP from this already dried up and shrunken cow, that is Wow...

Level 13
And as expected, man Revendreth one is awesome!!! (spoiler Blizzard prefers Revendreth to other three obviously)

Level 20
Come on, hand it to the voice actor, at least.
I like the voice actor and Denathrius is really, really amazing in game. I just thought the short was boring.

Overall, I think it's Bastion > Ardenweald > Maldraxxus > Revendreth for me. Which is funny, because I've played through the zones on the beta and if I were to rank them, it would be the exact opposite order :D

Level 13
Bastion > Ardenweald > Maldraxxus > Revendreth
Really? What's there to like about Ardenweald, it was the most boring of all, to me. Poor Ursoc, yeah, but the rest in none.

Mine Bastion >> Revendreth >> Maldraxxus > Ardenweald

Oh and, @MasterBlaster is Garrosh present in Revendreth during the questing, or in the dungeons, or Castle Nathria?

Level 20
What's there to like about Ardenweald, it was the most boring of all, to me. Poor Ursoc, yeah, but the rest in none.
And what's there to like about Revendreth? Garrosh getting tortured and Sire Denathrius being well, himself? At least the Ardenweald one had some action, a character from the established story that I've found likeable (and no, I didn't like post-Cata Garrosh at all) and it was touching.

But I don't know, maybe my perspective is different, because it wasn't my first time seeing Denathrius.

Oh and, @MasterBlaster is Garrosh present in Revendreth during the questing, or in the dungeons, or Castle Nathria?
Nope, he's not there. I've seen some speculation that he might be kept for patch content or be a part of the mythic-only phase of Sire Denathrius fight.

Regardless, Revendreth introduces some really cool characters, so personally I'm happy it pretty much doesn't have returning fan favourites, outside of Kael'thas and Kel'thuzad appearing towards the end of the max level campaign, because to be honest I'd much rather hang out with Theotar or the Accuser.

Especially Theotar. If you liked Flynn Fairwind in BfA, you're going to love Theotar - same kind of fun, just a lot more crazy :D

Level 13
And what's there to like about Revendreth? Garrosh getting tortured and Sire Denathrius being well, himself?
Well, in my defense I come from a country where Vampire mythos originated from, so I have to like them. It's our cultural thing. :p
Fun fact, in some rural parts of my country, people still impale corpses of unjustly decesed so they wouldn't turn to vampirism and stalk people at night, strangling them and drinking their blood.
Especially Theotar. If you liked Flynn Fairwind in BfA, you're going to love Theotar - same kind of fun, just a lot more crazy :D
Yes, I liked Flynn in BfA, however I hate the fact that they made him gay out of the blue. While in BfA he was obviously not, quite contrary since he's based on Captain Jack Sparrow.
Truth be told, I cancelled my supscription shortly after 8.1 launched, and I'm not sure weather I'll renew it with SL or not. I'll wait and see how much of an extended Beta it's gonna be on release, and how well it's gonna be recived. I'm not impresed that they've basically scrapped the whole allied races idea (pretty much the only good thing from BfA), and I don't really have the opinion on new content, yet. And I'm not sure I have the energy to get full time into WoW again. I'll have to wait and see.
Nope, he's not there. I've seen some speculation that he might be kept for patch content or be a part of the mythic-only phase of Sire Denathrius fight.
Yeah I think these cinematics pretty much confirm both Garrosh and Arthas making an appearance eventually.

Last edited:

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 33
Revendreth is just like San'layn with a Nightborne theme but with a Highborne plot and instead of Arcan'dor it's Garrosh juices

who's the tortured troll btw? Zul'jin?

While in BfA he was obviously not, quite contrary since he's based on Captain Jack Sparrow.

on the bright side, it confirms that yet another Thalassian woman isn't gonna be a human waifu

Level 20
Well, in my defense I come from a country where Vampire mythos originated from, so I have to like them.
You don't have to defend yourself, there's nothing wrong in different people enjoying different things :)

Truth be told, I cancelled my supscription shortly after 8.1 launched, and I'm not sure weather I'll renew it with SL or not.
Having played it - if there was no box cost, I'd say it's definetely worth subbing for a month or two, even if only to check out questing and story, but since there's also a box price and you're in Romania (so you're probably also getting f...ed by exchange rates), I'd say it depends on how big of an expenditure it is for you.

I'll wait and see how much of an extended Beta it's gonna be on release
I don't really know how far along the devs would want to be a month before release, but the beta still has a decent amount of stuff missing, feels rather unpolished and is very buggy, so I'd say it's likely not looking good. If I were to guess, I'd say - expect solid 2-3 weeks of heavy hotfixing.

And I'm not sure I have the energy to get full time into WoW again.
I treat it as an on/off game - I sub whenever there is something new or I feel an urge to play, usually for like a month or two, and then I unsub. Works wonders.

who's the tortured troll btw? Zul'jin?
Most likely just a nameless soul that was given troll appearance in the cinematic, so that it looks more familiar.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Having played it - if there was no box cost, I'd say it's definetely worth subbing for a month or two, even if only to check out questing and story, but since there's also a box price and you're in Romania (so you're probably also getting f...ed by exchange rates), I'd say it depends on how big of an expenditure it is for you.
Pretty sure he's Serbian :p we don't have vampires but strigoi. Vampires came to us through Bram Stoker.
Most likely just a random, nameless soul that was given troll appearance to look more familiar.
Well, it's important since then only Horde creatures are used for the extraction?

Level 20
Well, it's important since then only Horde creatures are used for the extraction?
No, lore wise the Venthyr don't discriminate what race they extract sin/anima from. Most souls in game use a "soul" model, which doesn't look like any of the known races, so my point was that for the purpose of the cinematic, they just made that particular soul look like a Troll to make it more familiar.

Why a Troll? I don't know, maybe some artist likes Trolls. Or they thought that it will be easy to reckognize.

Level 20
Also, there are these things called "sinstones", which are basically tablets containing the list of sins a Venthyr commited and can be read to them to cause pain and/or reduce their power. This is used a couple of times in questing and... the reason I bring this up is that some characters have really, really nasty sins, like murdering children, mass genocide, etc. Not even going to mention some really awful character traits.

Which brings me to my point - after playing through Revendreth, I'm convinced that it's where Arthas would have ended up if he was properly judged. In fact, I believe that pretty much the only way to get sent into the Maw, other than failing in Revendreth, is to either be in league with the Jailer or have zero redeeming traits your whole life.

Level 13
It's not about the money, and strangely enough our currency has been stable for the last 5 years at least, it's about since you already pay the subscription, than it's gearing, raiding, going for mythic+, achievements, etc......It pretty much ends up being a full time job. On the side note I didn't know that the Polish Zlot is an unstable currency, though I remember buying a Russian babushka in Krakow for 4€, while the same one in Saint Petersburg cost like 25€.
Pretty sure he's Serbian :p
Yep.
Also, didn't the whole vampire myth come from Wallachia, which is part of modern day Romania?
Nope the whole Vampire hysteria, started after the Austrian occupation force in late 1700s wrote about a hysteria in a Serbian village of Kishilova(Kišilovo) near a Serbian town of Pozarevac(Požarevac) in present day central Serbia. There are records that the Ottoman Empire had lots of troubles with Vampire hysterias in Serbian villages centuries before. After the case of Kishilova, Austrian government started reporting other hysterias in Serbian communities in Austria proper(present day northern Serbia and Croatia), and soon the hysteria spread to other peoples if Austrian empire and later the whole of western europe. Word Vampire is of Serbian origin.
Which brings me to my point - after playing through Revendreth, I'm convinced that it's where Arthas would have ended up if he was properly judged. In fact, I believe that pretty much the only way to get sent into the Maw, other than failing in Revendreth, is to either be in league with the Jailer or have zero redeeming traits your whole life.
Well, since Kel'thuzad ended up in Maldraxxus, and he only like caused the plague that wiped out most of the continent. I think it's pretty ridiculous to speculate where would each character end up at this point.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I believe that pretty much the only way to get sent into the Maw, other than failing in Revendreth, is to either be in league with the Jailer or have zero redeeming traits your whole life.
Who has no redeemable traits all their lives? Most creatures are born as innocent infants. Arthas wasn't evil but narcissistic until he lost all sanity to Frostmourne. After that it was not within his power to be good.
So, I think you're right, Uther and Devos cheated and they should pay for it.
Word Vampire is of Serbian origin.
More on this topic:
vampire - Wiktionary
Reconstruction:Proto-Slavic/ǫpyrь - Wiktionary
Well, since Kel'thuzad ended up in Maldraxxus, and he only like caused the plague that wiped out most of the continent. I think it's pretty ridiculous to speculate where would each character end up at this point.
That too. And mind you, Kek'thuzad did it on purpose, willingly unlike Arthas that was more of a 50-50 in the end.

Level 13
Hugh, look Arthas already has a Venthyr skin in HotS. You may be right :p
File:Arthas Crimson Count.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.