• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Paired Mapping Contest #1 Poll

What is your favourite entry?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great jobs on all of the maps,but since my computer and the other back-up computer are...F'd for lack of a better term...I can't do any work done on Armaggedon V3,so if any of you could help me out until then,i'd really appreciate it.When the judging is done,I should be able to find my disks,or atleast search for them.Just ask me about the models and such,build off of Armaggedon V2 for the first few if your interested.

Level 24
Same house, I moved in with him a couple of months ago due to financial debt and I'm getting job interviews while I'm here. He only has one computer, so I apologize if it seems like I'm cheatin' or something here. Well, doesn't matter really. But, that explains the IP address.

How do we know that your Scyth-Master's brother? You did not report it, like you are suppose to when creating multiple accounts. The only reason you came here was to vote for Scyth-Master's map, which is bad enough on its own. So because of that your vote will defiantly not count, and you may be disqualified from the contest.

Level 10
Well, he isn't the only one boosting votes... Pepper voted himself :\
--donut3.5--

Lol, boosting votes :D Dont forget that Madome, creator of City Of Drugs, also voted for COD and Xsilver07 voted for his map Cardiators.
But does that realy matter? Creating multiple acc during the vote, thats the real issue here ;)
If u count City Of drugs as 9 votes, Cardiators 3 (without Xsilver), Armagedon 1, Final fortress 1 (without T-Bone) and Beer-Beer 4, City Of Drugs still has as many votes as all those maps together :)

Level 6
Okay, so I finally got to play all the maps in multiplayer so here are my impressions:

Cardiators
I like the idea of the game, although in my opinion, the game needs a lot of tweaking. The minigames rocked, especially that one with the castle gate. However, some things were a bit weird, like in the minigame with the boats, i was moving around as fast as possible but the AI still won because the splashdmg hit me...i think that's not how it's supposed to be :D
Also, we had an annoying bug. One of us would always be picked for a card game while he was in a minigame, thus unable to use the special cards like the stun and also, his monsters didn't attack any more. That was weird. I also think the first rounds of card games were pretty dull, it was basically nothing more than taking a card and immediately playing it. I'd suggest to maybe ask players to pick from a deck in the beginning which then immediately comes with 3 cards, like a "shadow deck" or whatsoever. But the idea rules, and the minigames were real cool!

Tides of Elements
I must say that we didn't play this map for too long because some bugs quickly made it unplayable for us. We were testing as 3 players on team 1, and first of all, after the gamestart, we had to wait like one minute until all the heroes were available which was pretty boring :( then we picked, and ALL our heroes started in the enemy's base on their circle of power. I don't think that's intended, is it? When we then retreated to our own base, i noticed the enemy base's circle with the portal thingie which probably teleports to one of the 6 regions "outside" of the basic map. Unfortunately, I never got to test this since when i selected a realm (I think it was the second one), my hero simply got paused and nothing else happened. And there it remained paused and I couldn't do anything any more. When my friends also got some bugs then (don't remember what exactly it was, I'll ask them), we skipped the game. Sorry...

City of Drugs
Together with Cardiators, this was the only map I really had some good fun at (sorry for the harsh words, please read my reasons in the comments about the maps themselves). I absolutely like the idea. I was playing as a police officer and just walking around and driving in my car thingie, arresting junkies. Two friends of me joined the mafia and once i had even caught one of them in prison, that was cool. He just got out with jailbreak without doing anything for it, that was a bit weird, but hey, at least i got him in there for a while and then i could catch him again! However, what I didn't like is that the whole thing still seemed to me like a lot of very different pieces put together. Imo, most custom models just didn't fit in the map since they had too few detail. They had the comic style, but something was missing. But that didn't really matter that much, what I was missing most was heroes matching the style of the map. I mean, the map plays around what, second half of the 20th, first half of the 21st century? Then I just don't get why heroes have abilities like death coil, hex, avatar, chain lightning, healing wave, fan of knives etc...it just doesn't fit imo, it's a different style (well maybe FoK does for a super ninja hero). Also, i found it pretty weird that my hero was using a police SWORD at the same time while also being able to use a MACHINE GUN. To prove you that i'm being constructive here, here's some suggestions to make unit's abilities style fit the 21st century style of the rest of the map:
- For the female characters, add something like seduce, can be applied on male characters and distracts them, stunning them or maybe giving you control over them or whatever. Other possibilities would be something like "talk", which, if used on a female player, would restore both player's mana because they have a lot of fun, and if used on a male player, would cause them to fall asleep (sorry for the cliches, but cliches are fun, especially in such maps imo). A third ability would be a kick in the nuts. Critical damage against male characters, moderate damage against females.
- For the male characters i suggest something like a roundhouse kick. Play some tornado animation on the caster and push everyone around back, damage them and stun them for a while. A second skill could be a single-target punch which knocks the target back and deals high damage. A third thing, for a super-cliche again, could be "pee on the wall", the feeling of relief restores some mana. Dangerous if an officer is nearby. Or just something like that :D
If you agree on my idea that stuff like death coil just doesn't really fit, i can try and see if maybe i can think of some more (and better things). But apart from that, the map was pretty cool and a lot of fun!

Deadly Night
After we finally got behind the loadscreen (after 10 MINUTES, that was just NOT cool, I don't know why it took so long, but please, PLEASE fix that), we got the cinematic with two guys or whatever speaking in something that looked rather like the terrain generated on map creation by the world editor with some palm trees placed in lines, except that the guys weren't there? Maybe this was intended though. But anyway, when the conversation was over, cinematic and letterbox mode didn't end nor did the camera pan to anywhere else. We all shut down WC3 after waiting for 2 minutes and proceeded to the next map then, and since frustrated by the long loadtime, we didn't try it again.

Heaven Bound
We started this map with 4 players and got through 2 of the trials i think (wow!). It was a cool idea, but i think to compete with the other maps from the contest, especially Cardiators and City of Drugs (must not name BEER BEER :p), it was a bit few. I mean, it was one mini-game. It was still fun, even if I think that the first levels were to tough because in the very first, if you didn't run right after those undead building death explosions spawned in the first lane, you were dead, so that's pretty tough with some delay for the first level. I still had some fun playing. It was an OK map, but i don't really think it's enough to be "standalone". Maybe add some more and different trials in the form of minigames to the map, that would be cool!

So now for my vote, I will definitely have to decide between Cardiators and City of Drugs. Not sure there right now, I think I might play both maps again and see which one i enjoy more that very instant ;)

Level 10
Thank you for your review, Unhit, the answer to ur "non fitting spells and models" question is simple.
1. There are 2 few models (size-qwality) that can be used right in my map. I belive, those that ive found were the best there were. There are better models/skins/icons/images , but if i would use those, the gameplay wouldnt change a bit, but it would be a huuuuuuuge difference in the file size. Just open the import manager, all those things were fit in 1.5 meg.
2. Experience showed that people dont want a "realistic map" with "realistic features". I could create super realistic spells of 999 century, but people simply dont want those, its enough to play with known spells, well placed hotkeys and usefull effects. I must admit, i could name those differently to be more modern, like Plasma Beam for Death Coil, and an other icon, but u must uderstand that ive only added those abilities few days before the deadline and basicly ive just picked all warcraft-original abilities and i thought would be most usefull in my map

Level 19
How do we know that your Scyth-Master's brother? You did not report it, like you are suppose to when creating multiple accounts. The only reason you came here was to vote for Scyth-Master's map, which is bad enough on its own. So because of that your vote will defiantly not count, and you may be disqualified from the contest.

You're kidding right? You're going to disqualify me from the contest because my brother voted for me... that's really low class actually. It's not low class having your brother vote for you, if my brother didn't vote for me it'd probably be low class. So "Let's disqualify him because his brother decided to vote for him," wow, I'm impressed by your simplicity.

Level 26
You're kidding right? You're going to disqualify me from the contest because my brother voted for me... that's really low class actually. It's not low class having your brother vote for you, if my brother didn't vote for me it'd probably be low class. So "Let's disqualify him because his brother decided to vote for him," wow, I'm impressed by your simplicity.
1. He has made only 3 posts, all three of them talking about how he's your brother. Sounds like a throwaway brother to me.
2. Gee, voting based on a map's quality and not being biased by relatives sure is low class.
3. Referring to each other as "brother" instead of using actual names (IRL or by account) does not make you sound any more innocent.
4. How convenient that he makes an account just in time for the contest. If he joined because you wanted for him to vote for you, it's just as immoral as making an account with the sole purpose of voting for yourself.

Level 6
I've voted Cardiators now. The castle minigame just got me, can't tell why :p

Yeah @ Pepper, figures with the models. And ok if you think people want rather normal spells, but renames are already a good idea then :D

Level 19
1. He has made only 3 posts, all three of them talking about how he's your brother. Sounds like a throwaway brother to me.
2. Gee, voting based on a map's quality and not being biased by relatives sure is low class.
3. Referring to each other as "brother" instead of using actual names (IRL or by account) does not make you sound any more innocent.
4. How convenient that he makes an account just in time for the contest. If he joined because you wanted for him to vote for you, it's just as immoral as making an account with the sole purpose of voting for yourself.

Right... you're such an expert on the situation. Has anyone ever asked you about anything that's even remotely related to this subject? No. Drop it, look on to bigger and better things to waste your time on. The truth is, you don't really have any real proof, as in all things if he doesn't map Warcraft 3 then why would he have had an account before, he just wanted to be nice and vote for my map, that and he really liked it. So you guys questioning his existence really gets on my nerves, he's a nice guy and all of you are undermining the fact that some people do have feelings and that people do have brothers... nothing you can really do about it.

Level 26
Right... you're such an expert on the situation. Has anyone ever asked you about anything that's even remotely related to this subject? No. Drop it, look on to bigger and better things to waste your time on. The truth is, you don't really have any real proof, as in all things if he doesn't map Warcraft 3 then why would he have had an account before, he just wanted to be nice and vote for my map, that and he really liked it. So you guys questioning his existence really gets on my nerves, he's a nice guy and all of you are undermining the fact that some people do have feelings and that people do have brothers... nothing you can really do about it.
Common sense. Game over.

Level 3
Its not whether he exists or not, but to make an account just to vote in a poll is a waste IMO. Why not get everyone else you know to randomly join to vote?
--donut3.5--

Which also refers to the voters with zero forum posts I guess? ^°

My vote also goes to Cardiators. I've been testing together with Unhit, so I won't write down the same comments and explanations as he did, again. ;)
Only difference: My reason for the vote was the card game and not the minigames (which I found to be a little disturbing, even though they were kind of funny). I would suggest to make two stand-alone maps out of Cardiators, a minigame-map and the card game.

Level 3
Yes. Actually I did test every single map and I found the card game to be way more funny than cod. Maybe it's because of the setting and the graphics of your town, don't know. Sorry for the shocking news. :nw:

Level 19
Doctor-Pepper, you're getting a little too selfish and cocky with your map, as if you're demanding people vote for it over the others. You keep stating yours is the very best map even though the poll isn't yet completed :p Which, in my mind, is very strange and almost predatory.

Level 26
Which also refers to the voters with zero forum posts I guess? ^°
Only those with suspicious join dates to complement it, like gurkengelee and pcguy100
Doctor-Pepper, you're getting a little too selfish and cocky with your map, as if you're demanding people vote for it over the others. You keep stating yours is the very best map even though the poll isn't yet completed :p Which, in my mind, is very strange and almost predatory.
Indeed, he is being selfish and picking on users who didn't vote for him. But hey, at least it draws constructive criticism on all sides :thumbs_up:

Level 40
Well, we certainly got... interesting map names :p

Anyways, I might get around to voting...

Doctor-Pepper -- If anything, all that saying that accomplishes is making people not want to vote for you.

Also, earlier, I noticed a debate over whether CoD leaks - it may not leak, but [no offence] the triggering could use a lot of work, even for GUI.

Also, don't rely on Leak Checker to find all your leaks... I've seen many a time when people are ranting about their trigger not leaking because of what leak checker says, and you're going "It's leaking right there, buddy!"

Well when someone puts up an epic map and makes it so detailed,you have to respect that...But yes,he is taking it a tad too far.My computer has been bugged all summer,so I could really work on anything good for Armaggedon.I tried kicking my tester into doing his job right,but it seems all the triggering was a mix job,I kinda got lost in a few extras,but I left them in just in case.
Aside from that,mind posting a few overall views?I can't test any of the maps really,this is our...eh...second back-up computer,and I can't find my RoC CD.

Level 3
Wouldn't mind to see short reviews on all 8 maps by those 34 voters. ^_°
Maybe an idea for the next map-poll.

Level 10
Lol, what the hell is going on :) why is everyone picking on me? Is it just because ive asked Frooker if he played cod? The reson ive asked that is because all he said was: ive player cardinators with Unhit, and i like it. No review, nothing. It looks like it was the only map that he've played or played long enough to feel the gameplay.

--------------
I realy dont care who YOU vote for, i am realy glad for all those votes that Beer Beer and Cardn. have, i never forced anyone to vote for my map.
--------------

Wouldn't mind to see short reviews on all 8 maps by those 34 voters. ^_°
Maybe an idea for the next map-poll.

You are the one who didnt post any reviews

1. Doctor-Pepper -- If anything, all that saying that accomplishes is making people not want to vote for you.

2. I noticed a debate over whether CoD leaks - it may not leak, but [no offence] the triggering could use a lot of work, even for GUI.

3. Also, don't rely on Leak Checker to find all your leaks... I've seen many a time when people are ranting about their trigger not leaking because of what leak checker says, and you're going "It's leaking right there, buddy!"

1. Whats "that accomplishes" :) And what does it has to do with people not voting for my MAP (and not for ME)

2. Lol, a lot of work even for gui ? :D Can u be more specific. Which triggers need more work? All of them? In what aspect?

3. What the hell are u talking about, i dont understand you there.
Is it about what ive said about Initializing trigger? I dont need leak checker to see that those Unit-Groups, Player-Groups and Points are leaking. Ive only refered to Leak Checker to reinforce my statement with numbers (however, those were a lil doubtful as the prog. indicated that "Special Effects" were leaking, when it wasnt the case. However, that trigger still had many leaks)

Level 3
I've been testing together with Unhit, so I won't write down the same comments and explanations as he did, again. ;)

What refers to all his statements and not only to Cardiators. Maybe I didn't make that clear enough. ;o

Level 3
Unhit and I are having a very close relationship! Besides we discused about the maps before Unhit's posting, so both our opinions are taken together in the reviews.

However I don't think we have to argue about that any longer. :confused:

Level 40
I dont belive that 2 different people can exerience the same feeling and have same impressions even when they are playing together, the same map

He voted for Cardiators, get over it -.-

2. Lol, a lot of work even for gui ? :D Can u be more specific. Which triggers need more work? All of them? In what aspect?

For example,

• Set <integer> = <value>
  • Set <array>[<integer>] = <value2>
  • -------- Instead of --------
  • Set <array>[<value>] = <value2>
3. What the hell are u talking about, i dont understand you there.
Is it about what ive said about Initializing trigger? I dont need leak checker to see that those Unit-Groups, Player-Groups and Points are leaking. Ive only refered to Leak Checker to reinforce my statement with numbers (however, those were a lil doubtful as the prog. indicated that "Special Effects" were leaking, when it wasnt the case. However, that trigger still had many leaks)
As I had said initially, Leak Checker should not be relied on, and relying on it to back up your statements is even worse than relying on it to find leaks. =/

Level 26
Dreadnought[dA];347160 said:
Honestly... How many people actually looked at Heavenbound??? Nobody has made any comment on it at all! Other than, "I still need to test these maps, * * * * * * * * Heavenbound."
Well, Arab, most of the people here don't want to bother reviewing every single map. They'd rather review their favorite and least favorite.

Level 26
Lol, what the hell is going on :) why is everyone picking on me? Is it just because ive asked Frooker if he played cod? The reson ive asked that is because all he said was: ive player cardinators with Unhit, and i like it. No review, nothing. It looks like it was the only map that he've played or played long enough to feel the gameplay.
Well frooker, i dont know much of jass, but your Beer Beer leaked in every Gui trigger it could :)
Jass is probobly clean, right?
As far as ive checked inside the World Editor (maps like beer and beer and other), City Of Drugs was the only one that fixed memory leaks ! :O
Unhit, muhahaha, I am right :D
I know that u wont do any harm with those 20-30 Gui leaks. Even to see a little performance drain, ull need 30-50 leaks every second. And even than ull only see it after 10-20 min playing.
I also think that Beer Beer is a great map, with very good terrein and gameplay.
P.S. I dont think that my City Of Drugs, with all those 170 global variables, took even 1/10 of the time that took to load all those trees in beer-beer :D
Lol, City Of Drugs is a remake/ripoff/remake of LOAP? looooool
U havent even played it for 2 minnets, have u?
Lol, the votecount on City Of Drugs is just amazing, isnt it
Lol, did you even play city of drugs? :)
Lol, boosting votes :D Dont forget that Madome, creator of City Of Drugs, also voted for COD and Xsilver07 voted for his map Cardiators.
But does that realy matter? Creating multiple acc during the vote, thats the real issue here ;)
Lol, i dont force them to vote for city of drugs. I just say that the CAN vote for city of drugs ... there.
The chanse is big that they will klick the link, see other maps, play them, and vote for somehting else.
And btw, COD has more votes not because i ask people, its just because it IS better!
I think highly of myself? :)
Why would you say that
Your problem is quite obvious. Apply crowbar to ass and free your head.

Level 10
Btw, here is my review for all maps. Maybe it might seem as im reviewing too negative, but this is the way ive felt. Ive also only played for 5-10 min each map, so the chanse is big that ive missed some positive points and gameplay feeling.

Armagedon: Why is your mapfile named EverfallWar, the cinematic was too long with minimum animation, ATTACK icon realy confused me. I had no idear of what i should do and what the goal is. The map was also too tinny and half of my units couldn’t were just standing there because of there was just not enough space for the to fight. However, I did like the feeling that ive got when I was playing. A lot of different (unknown) units with a lot of abilities. Realy gave me a feeling of an other world. I think that I realy does has potential if you focus on the gameplay!
5/10

Final fortress: Ive already reviewed this one in my early posts, things that I don’t like: Single player only, units like priests are almost useless, I see that uve still haven’t fixed bounty awards.
On the other hands, its an amuzing minigame for few minutes. It just need more of everything to keep you going. And a lit strategy too.
6/10

Cardinators: ive only tested it in single player and I must say, some minigames are realy mini and have no to much strategy to it. For example, save the sheep had waay too long ability cooldown to save all the sheeps (maybe its multiplayer only) and shipbattle didn’t had any strategy at all.
Overall, minigames were very repetitive and based not on the skill, but on “do you know what comes next”. Ive spend too much time reading the goal of the minigame, losing time, and losing the minigame.
7/10

Beer-Beer: I really like the loading screen, very original! I like custom icons and music, however the mapsize… lets just say, its not a BNet map. Also, I didn’t like the terrain, it just looked trashy with bunch of doodads placed together (houses…) and flat terrain outside the castle. I also haven’t seen anything original or special, unless maybe the “inventory level system” , but than again, such things don’t make gameplay.
7/10

Tides of Elements: The game has started, everything was black, I didn’t knew anything. What should I do, where should I go, what is it about… After some search ive found a shop where I could buy a hero, in XXXXX minutes… Did you even play thins game once on BNEt? Didn’t u receive any feedback about this?
Than ive saw units leaving the fortress, it was than that it hit me, omfg, it’s a dota. I realy hate dota, so ive quit. sorry :-
4/10

Deadly Nights: 1st time ive tried to select the game from the list, W3 froze, ive rebooted and tried it again . It freezed again, than few min later I saw a loading screen (a very ulgy one) :D And it froze again, that is when I rebooted again.
.../10

Heaven bound: Muahha, Actualy, that was the coolest mini-game ive played. But when I typed –cam, I didn’t knew to switch back to the normal view… Also, the map is waaaaaaaaaaaay too small and limited:) Its not even a map, still, it was fun as hell, 2 bad ive got defeated so quickly
8/10

------------------------------
Bob, ive voted for my own map in a rush when I saw the Poll, but can you plz count my vote for Heaven Bound
------------------------------

Level 6
Dreadnought[dA];347160 said:
Honestly... How many people actually looked at Heavenbound??? Nobody has made any comment on it at all! Other than, "I still need to test these maps, * * * * * * * * Heavenbound."

Actually, I did comment on it. See my link below :D
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=344773&postcount=56

About Pepper's comment about BEER BEER (thanks for it, at first): we first considered the mapsize and thought it might be a problem, but so far it hasn't. People have high inet speeds nowadays, and especially when i host (i have 2mbit upload speed...of course that doesn't always apply, especially on bnet, but transfers work fast enough), people always got the map fast and since the map name attracts people very well, it was never a problem to quickly start a fullhouse :p. So at first, we thought we could maybe exchange the loadingscreen for something more generic with a short description, but if frooker won't insist that it'd be uber-necessary (which it isn't), we'll stick to the size, since as I said, so far it was no problem.
About the terrain: it is not completed, yes, but i think, to use the same word as you did, less "trashy" as in CoD. In my opinion, it does not look like random doodads just planted next to each other (imo, the town looks rather repetitive right now, if anything), unlike in the graveyard in CoD or the park south of the police department. At least that's the impression I got there. Also, the terrain outside of town is not totally flat, it has hills and everything, just the roads are kept flat.
Well and about originality, again to compare both our maps, I guess the "shift" to something new both our maps did was the same. You have a LoaP style gameplay, we have hero defence. We added different heroes, new spells, a hero evolution system, bosses with triggered abilities (although you'll rarely see those except for the later ones on easy and normal because they use them rarely there and die fast) and we added the idea of not running out of mana. City of Drugs basically transfers the LoaP thingie into a different "dimension", with other jobs etc etc. But it's still a LoaP (although one of the best, if not the best I played so far, im usually no big fan of LoaP maps). So if you think BEER BEER wasn't that creative, I can easily say the same about CoD.

Last edited:
Level 10
I must Disagree on COD with you. If you look closly, Unhit, ull see that it has nothing, but realy, nothing to do with loap exept names Police, Mafia and Drug.
There is not a single aspect of the game, and by that i mean GAMEPLAY, that can be found in both Cod and LOAP. You can say they both have "jobs", ill say that Loap has jobs and city of drugs has 3 minigames (loap was based on jobs, city of drugs uses minigames to earn extra cash. If u dont work, ull still have planty of things to do around the map).
And plz stop compairing CoD with Beer-Beer, or else this discution will never end. Ill start saying that when you go outside ull rather see the terrain with random placed trees, plants and stones than many many very small houses, standing against each orher with random facing angle. And you'll say: But i dont see flying rocks int he real world eather. And than ill say...
I gave my review, and now you reply for every negative aspect of the game with: "Yes its true, but CoD ont he other hand"

Pepper,thanks for the review.I made things a might crude for my partner to fix,but he did very little,i'm working on the third map (more room,more challenges,blah blah blah) and its called "EverfallWar" because thats where and when its placed.
I had no time to review the other maps but from what i've seen from screenshots and other reviews,the maps all seem quite impressive.
Pepper,if you want to know where my maps story is headed,PM me.

Level 1
hhhhmmm its a hard 1, city of drugs is brill and so is beer beer (luv the song btw!) nd deadly nights terrain is brill too!! well done to everyone!!
over nd out
-hearttangle

Status
Not open for further replies.