• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Oblivion or Morrowind, which do you prefur?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Although im pretty sure 90% of all replies are gonna say oblivion, i still wanna find out, i played Oblivion, kicked ass in it, but it was not a very good game, yes the combat system was better than morrowinds, however, it was also bad in its own way, its like when you hit someone, they dont seem physicly affect by it, like ignoring the pain, and when you have freinds, they run up, and walk back and forth swinging their sword, and you cant swing your sword at all without teamkilling him and lucian popping up and talking to you, bacause of the system. Morrowind at least didn't seem so stupid when your freind attacked, and it wasn't that bad. but its not just the Combat system that i dont like oblivion for.

oblivion:
-No variety of landscape, you got forest, snowy mountains, and golden plains in the west.

-incredebly small variety of monsters and creatire to fight.

-deadra was stupid, am i fighting an army or a Zoo, you got spider deadra, dedroth, clannenfears and all these things that make it like fighting i Zoo, i wanted to fight more Dremora.

-Small variety of weapons and armor.

-very small storyline, morrowinds was freaken long.

-Incredebly sucky last boss fight, for gods sake you just walk right past him, he doesn't even move around, stomps if you get to close, swing his sword if you get to close n such.

-no diseases wither, cmon this needs to be realistic here. although i guess you can become a vampire.

-No variety of cities, whats the difference between Coral, and Anvil, not very much, and the Imperial capital wasn't very impresive either.

-not as much freelance work, you do life 25 jobs for fighters guild, then your grand master, 30 or so for darkbrotherhood then your a...what are those guys called? Lucian was one, he died, which fucking sucks >: (

-Ruins too predictable, i go into alyied ruin, find wolf, now im up against bears spriggans and all that, in cave i find skeleton, now im up against all that, old fort, i fond bandits, thats all thats in there.

Morrowind:

-Great variety of landscapes, including the Ascadian isles region, Bitter coast, Azure coast, grazelands, West gash, Molagamur, Ashlands, Red mountain, and lets not forget Solstheim, snowy.

-Much more creatures, From rats to Nix hounds, Bulllnetches, lotsa deadra, lotsa wild animals, the undead, including Bone walkers, Bone lords, and also Dwarven stuff, from wolves, to Draulg, Grauhwl, and those damn reiklings.

-deadra were fine, golden saints, Winged Twilights, astranotches n what not.

-Large Variety of wepons, Including Crossbows. You got glass, orcish, deadric, Steel, imperial steel, iron, all that. Armor is good, you got Bonemold, Dragon scale, Ebony, Dwarven, Glass, Chittin, Dreagh, Bear n wolf, orcish, Deadric, Dark brotherhood even, and Imperial.

-Very long storyline, my dad beat the game twice and god damn is it long, you got a few missions at first, then off to the ashlander camp, then the 7 rights, do all those, then you have to get that hammer and knife to kill Daggoth Ur with. all this with frequent freelnace work in between.

-Better boss fight, i only vaguely know how the boss fight goes, climg around on the huge ass statue, dodging fireballs, killing a few other people then attacking the heart of the statue then making a climactic gettaway from the exploding statue. my dad cheated on this part though, he used a levitation spell you get in Vivec, the one that lasts 12 hours.

-diseases which you become immune to later which is the 2nd right of the Neverear i think, but its still cool, including swamp fever, wither bone, and the almighty Corpus disease.

-Cooler cities, Vivec being the Capitol, and also Mournhold which is freaken awsome, a different variety of cities, like good ole Balmora, Caldera, Tel Rune, Dragen fel, and aslo Ald'rune. nice variety.

-Alot of freelnace work, you could 10-15 jobs at one fighters guild then you got about 5 more guild halls to visit, i like that.

-kick ass ruins to visit, you got Dwaren ruins, old Dunmer forts, Deadric, caves, mines, you never know whats in there, a cave once turned out to be a six house base, full of corpus Zombies, ash slaves, sleepers and all that. Acestral tombs, once found a hunger in there (hunger is Deadra) whoa wasn't expectiing that, go into this cave, find a stair way that leads into a tomb, next thing i know im standing in a room full of bone walkers, Whoa wasn't expecting that. Needed to clear out this old temple, find undead, and in one part, Deadra, thank god i had a healper buddy, then a Centuron Sphere at the end, WHOA i had no idea what was in store there.

Morrowind was Bethesda's greatest RPG, I Prefur that over Oblivion, which do you prefur? if its oblivion then please tell me why : )

Level 6
You mean prefer :) . But yes , morrowind is much better. It sucks you in. It has very deep atmoshphere , and high replayability quality. It's community is still alive (yes!). It's the best RPG I ever played.

Last edited:
Level 14
Oh no...not another Oblivion vs Morrowind topic(I see way to much on bethesda forums already :p).

As long as I'm here I'll say the same as Captain Griffen: Morrowind is better because it has original lore(plus more factions, places to explore, etc)

Level 6
I guess that in the newest part , the empire will be shattered , so this is a good idea for a mmorpg , but a mmorpg isn't a good idea. Face it. Bethseda is going to rape elder scrolls and make a mmorpg. They already registered the domain elderscrollsonline.com

Level 34
Oblivion has the details and the graphics (and the bowsystem, yay). Morrowind has the story and the epicness. If you speed through Morrowind (without using thé jumpscrolls or cheats) it still takes a week to complete it. If you speed through Oblivion, you're done in like 2 days. To be honest, I can't pick, I think both games are awesome.

Level 6
When I saw this thread, I thought it was gonna be another "Oblivion rocks sooo much!!! Morrowind was dumb because it looks crappy and has bad fighting!!!" But NO!!! You guys know were it is at! Morrowind totally kicks the pants off of Oblivion for all the reasons already stated! Honestly, if you implemented the combat from Oblivion into Morrowind, it wouldn't just be 10x better, but 20x better!
Morrowind's story was soo good. Totally pulled you into it and dragged you along for the ride. Oblivion's wasn't even about you. You were just some lacky helping a douche bag out.
Another thing about Oblivion that sucks is the compass. This time around, the quest givers just say "I'll mark were you need to go on your map!" and then that dumb little arrow appears. In Morrowind, it pulls you in sooo much, even the quest givers give you specific directions and don't just make it easy. In Morrowind, it acutally requires a brain to beat the game.
When Oblivion was coming out, I had my hopes so high for the "Next Elder Scrolls Game" but all I got was a causual gamers piece of crap RPG.
Sorry for ranting, but I could go on and on about how much better Morrowind is. Even after applying about 20 mods to Oblivion to re-make it into a "Morrowind with better graphics," the game still just doesn't compete with Morrowind.

Level 3
Here is my honest review to compare TESIII: Morrowind and TESIV:Oblivion.

TESIII: Morrowind

Graphics: 5/5 (It was considered to have great graphics during it's time)

Sound: 3/5 (Decent sounds, and dialogs are mostly texted)

User Interface: 3/5 (Takes a while to get used to, but it's good enough despite having some minor bugs and annoying features)

Environment: 5/5 (Epic scale and unique cultures for players to explore)

NPC: 4/5 (All sorts of races available and some lives in tight community. Bad thing is, they are not smart enough to pose any challenge to players)

Spells and abilities: 4/5 (Decent spells, and decent abilities. Being able to utilize your abilities to your advantage is a great plus)

Fauna: 2/5 (Sorry to rate it this low but it lacks the variation of creatures for players to fight and cliff racers are just purely annoying)

Flora: 3/5 (With various alchemy ingredients, it makes in-game flora studies a fun thing to do. Sadly, the game could use more vegetations to fill up the environment)

Weapons: 5/5 (A lot of cultural influenced arsenal, gives players a wide range of selection)

Armors: 5/5 (Same as above)

Storyline and plots: 5/5 (Deep storyline, supported by game lore)

Cinematics: 2/5 (Not to say it's very bad, but it just have too few and boring cinematics and the end cutscenes is not very rewarding)

Additional Points:
- Could use a sidekick or animal companion so adventuring won't be so lonely.
- Could also use a mountable creature to explore the vast regions unreachable by local transport service.
- Somehow the game leaves you the impression that it lacks a lot of things that any RPG should have.
- Nothing left to do when you reached the top rank of any faction.
+ The books found all over the game are enjoyable to read and collect.
+ Earning titles and recognition/infamy with other factions.
+ Making custom spells and custom magic items is fun, but it can easily give the players too much advantage over the game.
+ Able to loot mostly anything that an NPC has.

TESIV: Oblivion

Graphics: 5/5 (Yes, I love the graphics very much)

Sound: 4/5 (Everything are nice, but some sounds like the weather sounds are a bit weird)

User interface: 4/5 (Everything is nice and simple, only the inventory listing is not appealing to most people)

Environment: 3/5 (Not as epic as TESIII, nothing much to explore, lacks detail while the rest are well done)

NPC: 5/5 (Smarter, live like real people and they have voiced speeches)

Spells and abilities: 3/5 (Nothing much improved)

Fauna: 4/5 (more tough creatures to fight as you gain more levels, wish we had airborne foes to kill)

Flora: 5/5 (beautiful, just beautiful)

Weapons: 3/5 (lack of variety compared to TESIII)

Armor: 2/5 (not appealing much, lacks variety and elvish boots are weird like you had webbed feet)

Storyline and plots: 3/5 (*yawns* i really have nothing good to say here)

Cinematics: 4/5 (Nice and well done)

Additional points:
- No vampire clan like TESIII had.
- Only 1 unicorn.
- Bears are too aggressive. Should act properly like a real bear does.
- Weather effects are lame in my opinion. Even the thunder and lightning are not scary.
- We can't fight while mounted?
- The fan boy is very annoying and useless. Kill him on sight.
- I didnt know guards are psyhic and posses telepathic link with other NPCs.
+ Love the food and beverages.
+ More books to read!
+ Owning properties and assets is a nice.
+ Wow, finally a place to store and showcase my collections.
+ We have companions to follow us around.
+ Finally something to gallop on.
+ We can assassinate/terminate people with a variety of ways.
+ Very rewarding when you hit your faction's maximum rank.

Final Verdict: Comparing with TESIII and TESIV, I lay my support on Oblivion despite it's short storyline and less epic scale environment. Oblivion makes me feel alive in that game as I am not only playing the game, but I am also living in it.

Let us all hope that Bethesda would make TESV, bigger, better and more epic. Although, they claim to be not making anymore TES series, but I think they would change their mind in the future.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
Oblivion:
personal pros: kickass graphics, awesome combat system, people actually speak their dialogs so I don't have to read like crazy, awesome environments, awesome skill system, THE DARK BROTHERHOOD that you can be part of, horses & unicorns.
personal cons: storyline meh (I mean it's cool and all, but you ain't nothing more than a tool...whereas in Morrowind you're the incarnation of a saint, and you go about killing other gods...that's epic), hate that bloody interface, not being allowed to use Damage Skills effects in spells.

Morrowind:
personal pros: storyline (as I said, fuck yes), overall atmosphere and feel, again skill system (not as awesome as in oblivion though imo);
personal cons: fighting system, the fact that I have to read a lot.

Overall, for me Morrowind will always remain THE game for me, and I prefer it more than Oblivion. It just stuck to my heart. Both are awesome though, there was a time when I couldn't stop playing, literraly spending around 20 hours a day on them.

Level 6
reading wont kill ya, i like the reading, or atleast it doesn't realy bother me, you can get more information then when an NPC says something, i heard that some people, a cpuple of third party modders are remaking morrowind with oblivion style graphics and combat, with the full epicness of Morrowind, that sounds good, i heard this from my brother, he does kinda over exagerate abit so im not sure if i explained the story correctly : )

Level 13
I've only played Oblivion so I can't say which of the two is better.

I do however, have a mod called Morroblivion, which allows you to play Morrowind with Oblivion's engine. It apparently works, as people went crazy over it. So I intend on getting Morrowind very soon.

Level 36
I'ma give stuff a rating out of 10 (for its time.)

Morrowind:
Graphics/animations - 8/10 (good graphics but sketchy animations)
Gameplay - 8.5/10 (very nice but a bit boring without constant addition of mods)
Storyline etc. - 10/10 (brilliant)
Terrain (yeah I have to rate it) - 8/10 (meh. it's good, but not amazing.)
Quality of Mods - 9/10 (lots of good mods for Morrowind)

Oblivion:
Graphics/animations - 9.5/10 (amazing graphics but the run animations are retarded)
Gameplay - 8.5/10 (same as morrowind really...)
Storyline etc. - 9.5/10 (great but not as good as morrowinds)
Terrain - 9.5/10 (well I can't give it a bloody 10... -.-)
Quality of Mods - 10/10 (OBSE makes it THAT much better!!)

Oblivion wins!!! wooo!!!

Level 6
I'ma give stuff a rating out of 10 (for its time.)

Morrowind:
Graphics/animations - 8/10 (good graphics but sketchy animations)
Gameplay - 8.5/10 (very nice but a bit boring without constant addition of mods)
Storyline etc. - 10/10 (brilliant)
Terrain (yeah I have to rate it) - 8/10 (meh. it's good, but not amazing.)
Quality of Mods - 9/10 (lots of good mods for Morrowind)

Oblivion:
Graphics/animations - 9.5/10 (amazing graphics but the run animations are retarded)
Gameplay - 8.5/10 (same as morrowind really...)
Storyline etc. - 9.5/10 (great but not as good as morrowinds)
Terrain - 9.5/10 (well I can't give it a bloody 10... -.-)
Quality of Mods - 10/10 (OBSE makes it THAT much better!!)

Oblivion wins!!! wooo!!!

you think the terrain is better in oblivion, how? its like this, forest in 70% of map, some areas are more dense than others with trees, 15% snowy mountains, 15% yellow plains. how could you even give it a 9.5? and the story line is much much shorter than Marrowinds, it wasn't even that good, the last boss sucked horribly, for gods sake you just walk past him.

for Morrowind, you have 8 different terrain types, a larger monster variety, a larger vareity of weapons and armor, its less predictable, and its does have pretty good graphics, at first when i started playing it again, i had to get used to the graphics, and i did, and now its kick ass, i am currently lvl 36 and im in Solstheim, i have Ordinator armor, an ebony long sword, and an orcish battle ax, i am currently on the forth rite of the Neverear out of 7 and i just love that game.

i just quit playing Oblivion ever since i beat it, i had full dragon armor, an elven long sword that electricutes people, and i am indistructable, there are only stupid quests available, i cant do Dark Brotherhood or fighters guild jobs anymore because i did the 15 or so jobs and became grand master. That game is just horrible, too short and doesn't have much else to do.

Level 3
I think everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I agree that Oblivion should be much better, with the community Mods out there, it's starting to be enjoyable to play again.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
Heh, in order to see how obsessed I can get with Oblivion here's a character I just created 4 days ago, no cheating of course:
Oblivion2008-06-2517-50-02-23.jpg

Oblivion2008-06-2517-50-08-23.jpg

My favorite spell, kills anything with 1 shot:

Oblivion2008-06-2518-45-39-79.jpg

I have spells that can boost my magicka considerably, therefore I can cast that deep rape.
Same goes for Morrowind, I was level 60 in a little over a week...:(

Heres how my rating of the two games goes:

*Morrowind:
-SUCKS HUGE BALLS!!!

*Oblivion:
-SUCKS EVEN HUGER BALLS!!!

I think the entire elder scrolls series is the most horridly pathetic excuse for RPGs ever created. They are just plain awful. The fighting is horrible in all of them, block swing swing swing, block swing swing swing, block swing swing swing, run heal heal heal. Its just stupid. They are tremendously boring and stupid and require no skill to play and are way to long for games with no variety. Sure it wouldn't be too bad if I got to do the same thing over and over for eight hours. But when I am doing fights that ALL seem EXACTLY the same as each other for 20 hours I just want to kill myself. Oblivion and the rest of the series should all be sent TO Oblivion. They suck, -9999999/10.

Heh, I never managed to get some spells in Morrowind, so my Magicka was never used. I guess I will have to pay a lot to learn some spells, but all my gold reserves goes for ammunition. :lol:

I am slowly losing faith in ranged weapons, although they kinda save me against more powerful opponents, but the ammo costs way too much comparing with the miserable hit chance (marksman skill over 50, always attacking with full fatigue). And what the hell are those silver bolts? With the cost of 8 each and hit rate I guess around 25% are really worthless. I will probably give up soon, this miss rate is soo annoying (also with melee weapons, but they at least don't require ammunition).

And quests are shittily made, they require to read you huge amount of text (no speech) and no specific objectives you need to achieve and complete the quests, so I am forced to use walkthroughs all the time.

You can say that this post is of low intelligence or whatever, but these are the facts, which makes the game much worse. Oh, and the buildings look ugly, they are just wtf.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
nah, your post wasn't full of balls and berserk, it's ok.
I never used spells in morrowind either, except Alteration (levitate and water walk are huge time savers). It's annoying because you have to switch between spell and fight mode, they're not combined like in oblivion.
Archery is really worth it in the end though, you'll be able to kill things with 1 shot from a large distance, especially when you get your hands on some dwemer darts, those things deal insane damage.

Level 4
Morrowind by far. I love traveling around desert wastelands summoning an army of 50 creatures to attack a village. I mean serriously what other game let's you summon any creature you want in the gam for 720 seconds while your levitating into space? Sure Oblivion is fun and all, but only when you get the expanson does it truely come alive... although the Shivering Isles could have been slightely larger, but man those dungeons were friken long! I think the wemon need to look more feminine in Oblivion too. Seriously I have a mass murdering she devil that looks like a man with small tits in the iron that I was wearing. By the way, Cliff Racers are the most annoying creature in Morroind and I think atleast one person will agree with me.

Level 13
Heres how my rating of the two games goes:

*Morrowind:
-SUCKS HUGE BALLS!!!

*Oblivion:
-SUCKS EVEN HUGER BALLS!!!

I think the entire elder scrolls series is the most horridly pathetic excuse for RPGs ever created. They are just plain awful. The fighting is horrible in all of them, block swing swing swing, block swing swing swing, block swing swing swing, run heal heal heal. Its just stupid. They are tremendously boring and stupid and require no skill to play and are way to long for games with no variety. Sure it wouldn't be too bad if I got to do the same thing over and over for eight hours. But when I am doing fights that ALL seem EXACTLY the same as each other for 20 hours I just want to kill myself. Oblivion and the rest of the series should all be sent TO Oblivion. They suck, -9999999/10.
What other Elder Scrolls games have you played besides Morrowind and Oblivion? Because you know, there are 4 of the games if I remember correct. In my opinnion Daggerfall is the best.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
I stated that it sucked and I said why.

indeed. let me replicate what you said, in a few short words:
"I SUCK AT THE GAME THEREFORE THE GAME SUCKS! SUCKS! SUCKS! SUCKS BALLZ!....I wouldn't know a good game even if it raped me tender!!! I ONLY SEE WHAT I WANT TO SEE!!! DIABLO IS COOL BECAUSE NO OTHER FIGHT IS EVER THE SAME, NEVER EVER, IT'S SO DIVERSE, IT'S A MUCH BETTER GAME, JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER HACK & SLASH RPGS!"

Level 34
indeed. let me replicate what you said, in a few short words:
"I SUCK AT THE GAME THEREFORE THE GAME SUCKS! SUCKS! SUCKS! SUCKS BALLZ!....I wouldn't know a good game even if it raped me tender!!! I ONLY SEE WHAT I WANT TO SEE!!! DIABLO IS COOL BECAUSE NO OTHER FIGHT IS EVER THE SAME, NEVER EVER, IT'S SO DIVERSE, IT'S A MUCH BETTER GAME, JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER HACK & SLASH RPGS!"

Amen to that.

Level 5
Sure Oblivion is fun and all, but only when you get the expanson does it truely come alive... although the Shivering Isles could have been slightely larger, but man those dungeons were friken long! I think the wemon need to look more feminine in Oblivion too. Seriously I have a mass murdering she devil that looks like a man with small tits in the iron that I was wearing.

What you need are mods. These are one of the things the Elder Scrolls series are famed for. I've 200+ plugins in mine XD.

Level 23
See, when I first played Morrowind, I found it horribly slow and just stopped not too far into the game.

Later, when I felt up to it, I tried again.

And, well, I didn't stop for a long time.

Oblivion is like Morrowind, except dumbed down. Morriwind requires you to put in a little bit of effort, perseverence -- and once you put in that tiny amount of drag to get you started, the whole universe opens up and it's the most beautiful thing you'll ever played.

Oblivion doesn't require you to put in any effort; but it also offers so much less reward. Instead of the lush, other-wordly landscape of the Ashlands and the Bitter Coast with its mushroom trees, all the different styles of architecture and people... Oblivion had generic forests, generic fantasy opponents -- Morrowind gave you something totally different.

Nix Hounds, Guar, Ricklings, giant mushroom trees, steam-ruins, what other fantasy have you seen them in?

Wolves, bears, minotaurs, elven ruins and pine trees -- what other fantasy have you seen those in?

Status
Not open for further replies.