• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

North_rock.blp

It is a simple asphalt road texture with white street boundaries on the sides and white centre stripes in horzintal, vertical and diagonal direction and some other variations. Maybe useful for modern maps. Have fun with it. :)

Also made a variation of this with yellow stripes (Modern Road (Yellow stripes)).

Updates:

-Changed the size to 256x512 for more place
-Now the texture uses a new path ("TerrainArt\Northrend\North_rock.blp")
-Added diagonal stripes and asphalt squares with no stripes
-Reworked the street boundaries (Replaced the one from Blizzard with custom one)
-Resized the diagonal stripes
-Added more tile variations
-Reworked the street boundaries again a little

Thanks to 67chrome for his critics and suggestions on other tile variations ;)

Pls give credits, if you use this in you map.

Keywords:
road, street, terrain, tileset, ground texture, modern, asphalt, city, white marble
Contents

Modern Road (Texture)

Reviews
17:36, 24th Sep 2009 67chrome: I like all the tile variation you added to this, all the little pot-holes and different road marking really make this a useful skin :)

M

17:36, 24th Sep 2009
67chrome: I like all the tile variation you added to this, all the little pot-holes and different road marking really make this a useful skin :)

Level 9
Much better then the one I've seen used in many other maps. An excellent work, and greatly surpassing, as I said, the other terrains I've seen of this classification. I hope this gets approved soon, and I'm relatively sure it will!
4.5/5 Highly Recommended

Level 38
Like Misha said this skin doesn't seem to have much freehand in it, it is mostly a sand texture that colored gray with the addition of white stripes. It seems useful enough though, but if you are going to use a double-skin size, you should really use all 16 extra tiles rather than just four. Mostly this will probably be used for zombie maps, so having bloody pot-holes and cracked road bits could be options for filling in the remaining space. You should also do something with the alpha channels on the sides of the road, so you could make it look like the asphalt was poured over something when this tile is on top of another, and if it is under another tile it will gain the boarders of it. Also, the white line on the side should designate a sort of bike lance, rather than the edge of the road. (such as the lane created by the line in the picture above). Also, there are different types of lines than white lines on roads, in the United states a dotted yellow line is used to separate lanes that are going in opposite directions, a yellow dotted line on one side and a solid yellow line on another separate lanes so that the lane with the dotted line can pass if there is no oncoming traffic but the lane closest to the solid line cannot, and a double solid line indicates that it is illegal to pass via cursing in the other lane, usually because conditions are unsafe. So it's not like there is a lack of variety in road lines to fill up those unused 12 spaces either.

the diagonal stripes are a bit longer than the horizontal and verticle ones.
Yes i know, but the problem is that the diagonal sides of a square are always about 1,414 times bigger than the vertical or horizontal sides. If i lower the size of the diagonal stripes the gap between them will become to big and it will also look silly.:sad: But i will try to resize the length a little.

you should really use all 16 extra tiles rather than just four
Yay, it think you are right. I will try to add some other variations, but it will take some time.

Also, there are different types of lines than white lines on roads, in the United states a dotted yellow line is used to separate lanes that are going in opposite directions, a yellow dotted line on one side and a solid yellow line on another separate lanes so that the lane with the dotted line can pass if there is no oncoming traffic but the lane closest to the solid line cannot, and a double solid line indicates that it is illegal to pass via cursing in the other lane, usually because conditions are unsafe.
I'am from Germany, so i made a "German road".:grin: And in Germany yellow lines are only used as temporary road lines at road works for example. But we also have the stuff with the dotted and solid lines so i could add such things, thx for the suggestions.

Also, the white line on the side should designate a sort of bike lance, rather than the edge of the road. (such as the lane created by the line in the picture above).
Hmm, i don't think thats true. The white lines are there to show the edge of the road and they are on nearly every road, expect roads with sidewalks (at least in Germany:grin:). But these lines have nothing to do with the bike path at the side. Look at the picture, the street has these white lines on both sides, but the bike path is only on the left side.:smile:

Level 38
Hmm, i don't think thats true. The white lines are there to show the edge of the road and they are on nearly every road, expect roads with sidewalks (at least in Germany:grin:). But these lines have nothing to do with the bike path at the side. Look at the picture, the street has these white lines on both sides, but the bike path is only on the left side.:smile:

Should have mentioned that roads could be different were I live again, most of the lines on the sides of the road designate a bike lane, though the road picture earlier in this thread does not designate enough room to do much of anything. Anyways, my point with this was in the picture it seemed the white line still has a bit of asphalt on the other side, rather than abruptly ending the edges of the road (if the road did that, there wouldn't be a need for the line).

Other ideas for the tile variation would be details that could be used to create an intersection, such as the lines to stop behind at stop signs and stop lights, and crosswalks ;)

Level 20
somehow i'm not convinced enough work has been put into this... :/

you should kinda.. rework the white "sidewalks"? they don't fit so greatly.. and i'm doubting the road is freehand :/

Who cares if its freehand or not honestly? This looks fantastic and it will be very useful for many map makers who make modern maps. Methods aren't everything Misha. And believe it or not CnP takes time too. Not trying to attack you but I think you should just go by the end result and how useful it is rather than rant about it not being worthy because of what you think the method was.

Anyway on topic, I think the skin is great and extremely useful. I'm going to use it for sure and I don't see much difference in the diagonal lines. I think they look fine but if you can improve them all the better.

67Chrome those were fantastic suggestions. You really know your stuff. Though I would say less blood and stuff unless you make multiple versions. Because I myself would use it for just any modern maps and not specifically a zombie map.

Anyways, my point with this was in the picture it seemed the white line still has a bit of asphalt on the other side, rather than abruptly ending the edges of the road (if the road did that, there wouldn't be a need for the line).
Ok, now i got what you mean. I will try to implement that.

Other ideas for the tile variation would be details that could be used to create an intersection, such as the lines to stop behind at stop signs and stop lights, and crosswalks ;)
Once more a good idea, will add that too.:thumbs_up:

Though I would say less blood and stuff unless you make multiple versions. Because I myself would use it for just any modern maps and not specifically a zombie map.
I won't add something with blood, because the tileset is meant to fit to modern maps in general than just for zombie maps. But maybe i will add some variations with cracks in the road etc., depending on how good i get them to work on the texture.

Who cares if its freehand or not honestly? This looks fantastic and it will be very useful for many map makers who make modern maps. Methods aren't everything Misha. And believe it or not CnP takes time too. Not trying to attack you but I think you should just go by the end result and how useful it is rather than rant about it not being worthy because of what you think the method was.

You never, ever attacked me, Zerox :)

and btw.. now the tiles look Great.
and btw again, i wasn't ranting, i was constructive :p

To be honest, I think it's good enough to get an approval. Sure, it's not 100% freehand nor at least 50%, but it actually looks better than the other asphalt textures in the database and the variations of this one increases the usefulness.

And remember, the Naga Catapult and the Naga User Interface have gotten an approval, yet they're 100% CnP.

Level 2
I imported this terrain under: 'TerrainArt\Northrend\North_rock.blp', but
I don't get this terrain. Could some1 post what to do when it's imported?

Level 19
Is there a way to get these to go the correct way rather than replacing every one untill i get it what i want?

Still, very nice mdl! +rep (or skin whatever)

Edit: figured it out

Last edited:
good job but do u got any tips for makeing the white lines in the center going in the direction u want easy

Yea, just select a tile (or a whole row of tiles) where the road tile goes in the direction you want, press "Strg" + "c". Then you select the tile (or row of tiles) you want to change and press "Strg" + "v". Should be very easy :thumbs_up:

can some one help me!!! i dont know how to import SKINS i import it then i change the path to TerrainArt\Northrend\North_rock.blp then i try to northrend noting happen!!! pls help me

Have you done what I wrote here. If it still doesn't work after restarting the editor, try redownloading the skin.
If that doesn't help, I don't know either what you could do otherwise. :grin:

PS: Please avoid double posting, use the EDIT-Button instead. :wink:

I dont know If I can ask this but - Is this licensed ONLY for wc3 use? And what kind of license it has?

No, there is no "real" official license to this, like to all other public made resources here on the hive I think. You can use it for whatever you want. It would just be nice, if you credit the creator of the resource for his work. :wink: