1. Are you planning to upload your awesome skin to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

North_rock.blp

Submitted by MassiveMaster
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
It is a simple asphalt road texture with white street boundaries on the sides and white centre stripes in horzintal, vertical and diagonal direction and some other variations. Maybe useful for modern maps. Have fun with it. :)

Also made a variation of this with yellow stripes (Modern Road (Yellow stripes)).

Updates:

-Changed the size to 256x512 for more place
-Now the texture uses a new path ("TerrainArt\Northrend\North_rock.blp")
-Added diagonal stripes and asphalt squares with no stripes
-Reworked the street boundaries (Replaced the one from Blizzard with custom one)
-Resized the diagonal stripes
-Added more tile variations
-Reworked the street boundaries again a little

Thanks to 67chrome for his critics and suggestions on other tile variations ;)

Pls give credits, if you use this in you map.

Keywords:
road, street, terrain, tileset, ground texture, modern, asphalt, city, white marble
Contents

Modern Road (Texture)

Reviews
17:36, 24th Sep 2009 67chrome: I like all the tile variation you added to this, all the little pot-holes and different road marking really make this a useful skin :)
  1. 17:36, 24th Sep 2009
    67chrome: I like all the tile variation you added to this, all the little pot-holes and different road marking really make this a useful skin :)

2. Alagremm

Alagremm

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Isnt there something like this already?
    Anyway, even thought I think there is it looks really good.

3. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    looks useful.. but i don't know if it'll actually survive hive x3

4. Khaine

Khaine

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  5. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    This one is more warcraftish and realistic at the same time! Awesome!

6. TheHunterKiller

TheHunterKiller

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think this one looks better than that other one.

7. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    yeah, this one is better for warcraft because it doesnt just make squares.

the other one is the ugliest road texture ever when creating diagonals.

(are there diagonal stripes in this one?)

8. Cthulus

Cthulus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Much better then the one I've seen used in many other maps. An excellent work, and greatly surpassing, as I said, the other terrains I've seen of this classification. I hope this gets approved soon, and I'm relatively sure it will!
    4.5/5 Highly Recommended

9. MassiveMaster

MassiveMaster

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thx for all the comments!:thumbs_up:
    I now that there is another road texture on the hive but i wanted a road texture with border so i made this one and thought others could find this version useful, too.:smile:
    Because my old version had no diagonal stripes i replaced it with a bigger one with diagonal stripes (see description).

10. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    somehow i'm not convinced enough work has been put into this... :/

you should kinda.. rework the white "sidewalks"? they don't fit so greatly.. and i'm doubting the road is freehand :/

11. MassiveMaster

MassiveMaster

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    These "sidewalks" should be white side stripes like on this pic:
    Road
    [​IMG]

But as they looked more like sidewalks i reworked them and replaced them with self-made white side stripes. Now everything is self-made.:smile:

12. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    the diagonal stripes are a bit longer than the horizontal and verticle ones.

13. 67chrome

67chrome

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Like Misha said this skin doesn't seem to have much freehand in it, it is mostly a sand texture that colored gray with the addition of white stripes. It seems useful enough though, but if you are going to use a double-skin size, you should really use all 16 extra tiles rather than just four. Mostly this will probably be used for zombie maps, so having bloody pot-holes and cracked road bits could be options for filling in the remaining space. You should also do something with the alpha channels on the sides of the road, so you could make it look like the asphalt was poured over something when this tile is on top of another, and if it is under another tile it will gain the boarders of it. Also, the white line on the side should designate a sort of bike lance, rather than the edge of the road. (such as the lane created by the line in the picture above). Also, there are different types of lines than white lines on roads, in the United states a dotted yellow line is used to separate lanes that are going in opposite directions, a yellow dotted line on one side and a solid yellow line on another separate lanes so that the lane with the dotted line can pass if there is no oncoming traffic but the lane closest to the solid line cannot, and a double solid line indicates that it is illegal to pass via cursing in the other lane, usually because conditions are unsafe. So it's not like there is a lack of variety in road lines to fill up those unused 12 spaces either.

14. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    i think chrome has the right idea.

add some variation, road debris, cracks, more like warcraft's tiles

maybe not the zombie thing, because people can make modern maps too...

15. Gyrosphinx

Gyrosphinx

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    This is the best one so far, but listen to chrome, he knows his stuff,

16. MassiveMaster

MassiveMaster

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes i know, but the problem is that the diagonal sides of a square are always about 1,414 times bigger than the vertical or horizontal sides. If i lower the size of the diagonal stripes the gap between them will become to big and it will also look silly.:sad: But i will try to resize the length a little.

Yay, it think you are right. I will try to add some other variations, but it will take some time.

I'am from Germany, so i made a "German road".:grin: And in Germany yellow lines are only used as temporary road lines at road works for example. But we also have the stuff with the dotted and solid lines so i could add such things, thx for the suggestions.

Hmm, i don't think thats true. The white lines are there to show the edge of the road and they are on nearly every road, expect roads with sidewalks (at least in Germany:grin:). But these lines have nothing to do with the bike path at the side. Look at the picture, the street has these white lines on both sides, but the bike path is only on the left side.:smile:

17. 67chrome

67chrome

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Should have mentioned that roads could be different were I live again, most of the lines on the sides of the road designate a bike lane, though the road picture earlier in this thread does not designate enough room to do much of anything. Anyways, my point with this was in the picture it seemed the white line still has a bit of asphalt on the other side, rather than abruptly ending the edges of the road (if the road did that, there wouldn't be a need for the line).

Other ideas for the tile variation would be details that could be used to create an intersection, such as the lines to stop behind at stop signs and stop lights, and crosswalks ;)

18. Zerox

Zerox

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Who cares if its freehand or not honestly? This looks fantastic and it will be very useful for many map makers who make modern maps. Methods aren't everything Misha. And believe it or not CnP takes time too. Not trying to attack you but I think you should just go by the end result and how useful it is rather than rant about it not being worthy because of what you think the method was.

Anyway on topic, I think the skin is great and extremely useful. I'm going to use it for sure and I don't see much difference in the diagonal lines. I think they look fine but if you can improve them all the better.

67Chrome those were fantastic suggestions. You really know your stuff. Though I would say less blood and stuff unless you make multiple versions. Because I myself would use it for just any modern maps and not specifically a zombie map.

19. MassiveMaster

MassiveMaster

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ok, now i got what you mean. I will try to implement that.

Once more a good idea, will add that too.:thumbs_up:

I won't add something with blood, because the tileset is meant to fit to modern maps in general than just for zombie maps. But maybe i will add some variations with cracks in the road etc., depending on how good i get them to work on the texture.