• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New no-trolling/internet harassing law

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=802753

HR 1966 was introduced in April by US Representative Linda Sanchez (D-CA) and it's supported by 14 other members of Congress. According to the text, individuals who bully others via any electronic means could face fines, two years in prison, or both. This, of course, could include those nasty text messages you sent to your ex on Saturday night, the questionable e-mail you sent to your brother, or those forum posts you made in which you called for someone who liked the new Star Trek movie to jump off a building.The language in the bill is so vague, it could be interpreted to apply to practically any situation, including blog posts critical of public officials.

:) there's more in the link, I wonder if it only applies to U.S though

hmmmmhmm

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Haha, in that case I'm looking for several years in prison for verbal abuse. Awesome. It's rather absurd though, people don't understand a joke, and suddenly you're in jail. In real-life, I act pretty much the same and no one is really offended by it, because they know how I am and that all the bull is jokes. If any outside authority should evaluate the case, everything had to change completely. If they're going to prohibit trolling, they've got to prohibit joking as well, and sarcasm goes straight in the book of swears.

Oh yeah, the US has some strange ideals..

Level 15
the problem is that you joke around with friends, on the internet, no one knows who you are and take everything seriously, some people have been stupid enough to do stupid stuff strangers on the internet tell them. including suicide, so i understand why they'd do it.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

the problem is that you joke around with friends, on the internet, no one knows who you are and take everything seriously, some people have been stupid enough to do stupid stuff strangers on the internet tell them. including suicide, so i understand why they'd do it.

I don't normally joke as much around with people I don't know on the internet either. Though if I've been part of a forum for half a year, and the one I joke about has been aware of me, I find it perfectly okay to joke about/with him/her. Heck even you would start getting to know me already-- heads up. ;)

Level 11
I don't normally joke as much around with people I don't know on the internet either. Though if I've been part of a forum for half a year, and the one I joke about has been aware of me, I find it perfectly okay to joke about/with him/her. Heck even you would start getting to know me already-- heads up. ;)

communist

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Wait, what? Jokes aren't a lot of fun if they're one word. Besides an argument to base it on is also useful. Though fine..

Wannabe-scientist -- hah, that didn't even feel good. =_=

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Eh, so in effect, you guys are saying that THW will approve of this? Germany did follow Hitler (NO OFFENCE INTENDED) in WW2. Bad metaphor if you ask me.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Actually, I'd draw the line to the full extent of 'goodbye internet' .. this won't be approved, all internet users would go berserk and riot.

Level 11
IM ON THE SCENE OF 4CHAN, MINUTES AGO THEY HERD OF THIS NEWS...

4chan.jpg

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

^ Good stuff, full support for that. Teehee.

Level 26
The Words of the Actual Bill said:
Whoever transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication, with the intent to coerce, intimidate, harass, or cause substantial emotional distress to a person, using electronic means to support severe, repeated, and hostile behavior, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

I'm eager to see the lobbyist who pushed this fuckin' bill, because I have no idea how to get 14 people, nonetheless elected officials, to agree that there should be a law against saying mean things.

Reason escapes me.

Level 11
I'm eager to see the lobbyist who pushed this fuckin' bill, because I have no idea how to get 14 people, nonetheless elected officials, to agree that there should be a law against saying mean things.

Reason escapes me.

If anything they can retract the law and say
and I quote:

"We did not have sexual relationships with that women.."

Level 15

Reason escapes me.

well, do you really expect them to not pass it? if they read the reports on suicide, and idiots, I don't think they will let it go, but it may not change anything... unless you sue them.

edit: freedom of speech doesn't count

Level 26
well, do you really expect them to not pass it? if they read the reports on suicide, and idiots, I don't think they will let it go
No shit this bill is never actually going to see the light of day. It's so ambiguous and impedes the First Amendment so badly, only a fucking idiot (i.e. 17 of our lovely representatives) would support it.

I would assume the argument would go a lot like this.

"This bill will prevent people from mentally harming others over the internet."
"You're about to pass a bill legally prohibiting saying mean things."
"But these people are causing irresponsible mental harm to our children!"
"It's a bill against saying mean things."
"It's a bill that will protect our nation's youth against—"
"Saying mean things."

This bill is mostly for incidents where people commit suicide over being harassed and shiz.

Because the judges interpret the laws and since putting people in jail for saying mean things is against freedom of speech this bill will pretty much do nothing against internet trolling.

...I still think this bill is funny though P:

Level 15
No shit this bill is never actually going to see the light of day. It's so ambiguous and impedes the First Amendment so badly, only a fucking idiot (i.e. 17 of our lovely representatives) would support it.

I would assume the argument would go a lot like this.

"This bill will prevent people from mentally harming others over the internet."
"You're about to pass a bill legally prohibiting saying mean things."
"But these people are causing irresponsible mental harm to our children!"
"It's a bill against saying mean things."
"It's a bill that will protect our nation's youth against?"
"Saying mean things."

i'm sure they're more mature than that, not like it's going to change anything, except for the hardcore trolls who just lick an idiot's tears for self pleasure.

Level 26
Slander and Libel on the internet is still slander and libel, this is what I would think this bill should be used for.
Slander and libel is slander and libel.

THIS IS CYBERBULLYING.

This bill which hasn't even been passed yet and probably never will mentions just about shit all concerning slander and libel, so I have no idea which hat you pulled that from.

Level 11
Dreadnought[dA];1297227 said:
Next they are going to pass a law requiring Google to supply information on cases...

America, Rust in Peace.

Um its already been done, some girl posted some bs about a model on a blog that she didnt like. It only got like 7 hits on the first day and thats it. The model found out, told google (it was a google blog) to give her information about the blogger who wrote it (well she went to court and court demanded google to give her the information) and now the model sued the blogger.

Level 26
you wouldn't, but some people don't get it, that's why they have to make silly laws like these.
No, they don't. They really don't. If I was a total jackass to other people and was jaded towards their emotional problems, people might flip me off when I walk down the street, but no one would arrest me. It would make no fucking sense. That's why there are KKK sites and Westboro Baptist Church. It's just shit you're going to have to put up with when you implement Freedom of Speech. Suck it up.
Um its already been done, some girl posted some bs about a model on a blog that she didnt like. It only got like 7 hits on the first day and thats it. The model found out, told google (it was a google blog) to give her information about the blogger who wrote it (well she went to court and court demanded google to give her the information) and now the model sued the blogger.
Someone doesn't understand irony.

Level 15
No, they don't. They really don't. If I was a total jackass to other people and was jaded towards their emotional problems, people might flip me off when I walk down the street, but no one would arrest me. It would make no fucking sense. That's why there are KKK sites and Westboro Baptist Church. It's just shit you're going to have to put up with when you implement Freedom of Speech. Suck it up.

oh well here's your big difference real life isn't the internet. on the internet, you know you will get away with having your own fun by hurting someone, but in real life violence is incorporated, and then you can get arrested, that's why now they make a law to give the (victims?) a chance to fight back.

also, i don't live in america...

Level 26
oh well here's your big difference real life isn't the internet. on the internet, you know you will get away with having your own fun by hurting someone, but in real life violence is incorporated, and then you can get arrested, that's why now they make a law to give the (victims?) a chance to fight back.
I'm not going out and punching you in the face. I'm insulting you. They wouldn't arrest you for that in real life, and they sure as hell shouldn't on the internet.

"Real life isn't the internet?" Well, duh. What difference does it make? When I go on the internet, there suddenly appear obvious exceptions to how I insult you? Is my insulting suddenly more potent? Isn't it the other way around?

Level 8
I'm not going out and punching you in the face. I'm insulting you. They wouldn't arrest you for that in real life, and they sure as hell shouldn't on the internet.

Agreed ^^

Besides, as has already been stated, this bill would totally impede upon Freedom of Speech, one of America's most fought for rights. No way in hell is this going to be passed, its nearly unconstitutional.

Oh, and Hindyhat's "glowing box that tells me I'm gay" thing, really made my day. Hilarious. :thumbs_up:

Level 12

Google isn't required to hand out that information, they just complied willingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.