1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Naval Tactics FINAL

Submitted by havwok
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Naval Tactics FINAL

In this map, you build a fleet and destroy your opponents by controlling trade routes and having superior ships.

Loading units into your ship will turn them into items in your ships inventory. Footmen give movement speed, riflemen give attack power, engineers give regeneration and armor, ect ect. This allows for an almost unlimited number of ship type combinations. Most unit types effects stack.

Current units:
-footman: increases movement speed by 250 (doesn't stack)
-rifleman: increases attack by 25 (does stack)
-engineer: increases ship life regeneration and armor (does stack)
-navigator: almost triples the ships sight range (im not sure if this stacks...)
-pyromancer: Controls greek fire, allowing it to light the vessels around it on fire.
-Brawler: gives your ship a warstomp ability. (because the brawlers men boards nearby enemy ships and occupies them with fighting on the deck) Five charges.
-Assassin: gives your ship the shadowmeld ability. The assassin knows how to create ambushes and hide your ships in coves or fog.
-Expert Sailor: Greatly enhances move speed
-Battle Sailor: Greatly enhances move speed and increases your attack by 20.
-Speed Rifleman: Increases attack speed and increases attack damage by 20.
-Elite Rifleman: Increases attack damage by 50.
-Supply Team: increases the armor of your ship and has a small health regeneration aura.

The key to victory is the trade routes, which are your income, you can also gain income by pirating the trade routes of opposing players. You gain a trade route by capturing the trade ports scattered around the map. Some trade ports are upgradeable, and can provide support for your fleet.

There are 6 ship types. (when referring to slots, i mean inventory)
Kael Class Sloop: has three slots, is the standard inexpensive ship.
Uther Class Frigate: Has four slots, is the standard higher end ship.
Wraith Class Schooner: Has two slots, is an incredibly fast ship with a hyperactive attack speed. Low costs and high speed make this unit the ultimate hit and run attacker.
Goliath Class Galleon: has four slots, is a lumbering war ship. Trades speed and attack speed for a huge attack, range, and health.
Raynor Class Sloop: has four slots, a tier two sloop unit.
Kerrigan Class Frigate: has 5 slots, a tier two frigate unit.

Beyond this there is one hero admiral flagship that has 6 slots and is fully revivable.

You can buy special mercenaries from the center, and some trade ports are upgradeable.

Just updated to the final version.
Due to the nature of the warcraft three community in the shadow of Starcraft 2, i dont think it would be appropriate for me to continue working on this project. If there is a game breaking bug that needs addressing i will fix it, but beyond that do not expect any major updates from this map.
Please feel free to comment and give feedback, as there will be a good chance that i will be converting this or something similar into the SC2 editor. (im currently playing the beta).

Thank you for all of your help, suggestions, and interest. As always it is very appreciated. If your looking to find more maps from me or my clan, please visit us at
http://lsi.comxa.com/forum/portal.php
Many Thanks, DRM.
Changelog

vFINAL:
fixed an income trigger for orange and added custom minimap.
added allied trading.

v2.1A:
-fixed a lot of bugs, the game is now stable.
-created an alliance trigger set with commands.
-inserted a new savage ship, the Junk. Which is permanently invisible. Players will need to use navigators in order to combat this new ship.

v2.0C:
-fixed a lot of bugs.
V2.0B:
-Added in a new Techtree and adjusted the cost of some units.
-Added in new units.
-Fixed the bug where the Key Trade Ports in the middle were not the correct version of a Key Trade Port.
-Changed the models on Key Trade Ports and Colonies.

v2.0A:
-Added in a new terrain (not technically finished, needs retouching).
-Created 8 players
-players can now ally amongst them selves.
-The item to unit transfer trigger is no longer broken. (yes, its really fixed this time)
-Added in Colonies and Key Trade Ports.
-Created 5 central savage bases instead of the past 1 and a half.
-Enabled you to purchase savage ships at high cost.
-converted the barracks into an item merchant, to smooth the players ship making process.

v1.2B:
-made schooners have 2 slots correctly
-gave admirals more HP
-scaled down brawlers
-decreased unit build times
-admiral can no longer be transported
-Slowed every unit 25 move speed.
-Gave more/stronger towers to the player. Allowed him to build a small amount of towers and (depending on how he uses his resources, 1 or 2 extra trade ports)
-Fixed the range bug
-the soundset on merchant ships was replaced from peasant to NONE.
-Upgrade gold costs have been tweeked slightly.

v1.2A:
-fixed bug with brawler.
-Items deployed from ships will now be replaced with their corresponding units to the correct owner.
-Added many tooltips.
-Balanced new ship classes.
-Altered the movement speed.

v1.2:
-Added the Brawler.
-Items deployed from ships will now be replaced with their corresponding units correctly.
-Created two new ship classes. The Goliath Class Galleon and the Wraith Class Schooner.
-Fixed the sailor tooltip and added ship names for several vessels.
-Upped the cost of the Ship inventory upgrade and made the Goliath and Wraith class researches requirements.
-added 1 inventory slot to every ship.
-Ships can now move without footman. Footman are now loaded onto a vessel for upgraded speed.

v1.1C:
-Added an improved admiral system.
-fixed many tooltips.
-differentiated the upgraded ships.
-nerfed land units.
-added in the brigand.

Screenshots

[​IMG]
Your main port.
(more screens coming soon)

Keywords:
Naval Tactics ships boats sea trade warcraft
Contents

Naval Tactics FINAL (Map)

Reviews
19:14, 13th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Approved
  1. havwok

havwok

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ive had this in mind for a while now. And i think that it will happen soon. I am currently working on a system where pirates poach your stuff and roam around a bit. So that you arent just sitting around screwing with your enemy the entire time.

2. Moon Lord Hawkeye

Moon Lord Hawkeye

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wow, very cool map idea, it looks (and sounds) extremly fun. i'll DL and test with my brother right away.

could i just make a suggestion?

You say that there's a unit that gives your ships immolation, correct? maybe you could implement a system where the ship actually loses health while the immolation is on it, to make it more realistic. Also, maybe you could add some type of stealth boat, without the assassin item added to it?
    Maybe give it permanant Invisibility, but nerf it's health and attack, to make it more like a scout ship?

And a ship that rams as it's main attack would be cool. You could have it deal large damage to enemy ships, but take damage as well when it attacks.

3. havwok

havwok

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks moony, i originally planned for ships to lose health while using imo... but i havent yet found a workable system for it. working on it.
    Stealth boat, possibly.

triremes are definitely in development.

In other news.... I hate to admit this, but i currently find myself without a computer. My good friend Hawk will be finished with an amazing weather system for me by sunday of this weekend, but i doubt i will be able to use it for a while.
    So i suppose i will have to say, work on this project has been postponed. indefinitely. If/when i resume work you will all be informed.

IN THE MEANTIME:
    some crunchy bits for you to chew on for the next update.
    1.2C will be a simple update without any major changes. other than some pirate events and a more rounded system of types and quests/ learning curve type thing.

But 1.3 will be a vast and sweeping Renaissance of Naval Tactics.
    -The aforementioned weather system will be in full swing, bringing weather conditions into play. and some units or ships will be more/ less affected by them. (a good example is galley slaves. during fair weather they do little, but during low wind periods, when no one can move due to the lack of wind power, they give your ship maneuverability while your opponents are rooted in place!) The lumbermill as a building will play a big role in this system, (yes, i did keep that there for a reason, it was not a bug).
    -The terrain will be completely redone. Bases will be more compact, and the ocean will be expanded enough so there is room for 8 players!!! (over the current 4). Team play will also be encouraged.
    -Pirate events from 1.2C will be expanded on to adjust for the larger terrain.
    -Static trade as it is now is pretty broken. The map will be large enough to support 4 individual trade routs instead of 2 routes for 4 cities. (the destinations of static trade will no longer be a different Static trade port, simply a recieving trade port) I will probably make events where the static trade routes change just to make things interesting.
    -the phat lewt will actually be used for something!!!
    -another savage/neutral hostile base will be included in the expanded terrain.
    -hero ships will be refined, and abilities will not be useless (lol@ trueshot aura)
    -an actual techtree will be included. so that variations in gameplay will be more likely.

Also, my third failure to fix the item-unit transfer bug has not gone unnoticed, and i will definitely find a way to address it between now and the release of 1.3.

If/when i have 1.3 released and have a few subsequent quick fix/balance/polish versions out i will consider taking the game out of beta and releasing it As is to be reviewed.

4. Moon Lord Hawkeye

Moon Lord Hawkeye

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hrm, i've played it... and loved it.

Combat was a little slow at first, and i thin kit would be a better idea to have tiers of units, that can upgrade from your castle, instead of upgrades from the lumber mill. The lumber mill could be used to advance tiers of units (sloop, frigate, ect) while your castle allows you to get more. Additionally, you could add a worker unit that can build additional shipyards, for specific ships.

Balancing was good, and the heroes, well you're already fixing them. I eagerly await the unveiling of this new weather system, as there's a melee map i've been making that i want to have one in, unfortunatly i'm not skilled enought to do it myself.

I'm glad that some of my suggestions could be of use, and i think i may have a way to make immolation hurt the units, but i'll have to fool around in the editor for a while, just to make sure it works.

Something legendary should be put in the middle, a big tomb or something, where the Phatest Lewt of the Phat Lewts resides...

I'm laughing at the fact that it'll have a use.

5. havwok

havwok

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thank god. Work on this project will resume. =D
    Expect a big update soon.

6. The_Phalanx

The_Phalanx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Looks like the edit in :p

Looking forward to playing this with you Doc, and adding another notch to the totem pole of people who've beaten you xD

7. Moon Lord Hawkeye

Moon Lord Hawkeye

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hm, nice to see that it's been updated.

I'll dl the new one when i get the chance, which might not be too soon unfortunatly. School, and my very limited patience with writing have gotten the best of me.

But, if there is one thing i could suggest...

The change from normal boat sounds to hero sounds in the case of normal ships vs hero ships is a little wierd. Maybe if you made all of the ships have some sort of talking sound set? I'd also suggest renaming the ships, as it's a little wierd to sink a flagship named "Admiral _______." Maybe something like the SS Demonica or SS Valkyrie... or something.

And that brings me to another idea... damn, i'm cranking them out for a map that's not even mine, this is REDICULOUS!

I know it'd be crazy hard work, buuuuuut.... maybe different hero types for different bases? heck, all you'd need to do is copy paste a few, and change the model file, that'd make it cool.

And i don't know if you've done this, but different models for our ships other than the standardised human ones.

On that happy note, i have seen a oddity. A few Neutral hostile ships, look like human transport ships. Anyways, they're called orc frigates :p

Take from this what you will or won't, i'm just glad i could help in some small capacity.

EDIT: Ah, yet another idea. What if you gave each ship individual attack and movment speeds. granted, keep them low, but it just seems natural to me to have a high tier unit like the Kerrigan Class to have higher base attack and speed then a lowly Kael Sloop... or maybe i'm just crazy, and don't remember there being differences. Been a while since i played this game, let alone Warcraft 3.

8. havwok

havwok

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thank you so much for you continued help with this. As far as individual attack and movement speeds, look at the kael class swoop, then look at say... the goliath class galleon. You will see how ive already done this. Although i dont remember to what extent i modified the Kerrigan Class.

Eventually i would like to use Mr. Bob's ship models in this map. But for now its just function.

Wait? i thought all boats were boat soundset? i should check up on that thanks for the catch.
    Different hero types? no thanks... There are 8 players, i dont want to make 8 personalized admirals. As far as the names go... i suppose i could change them from the admirals name to a ship name.

If you do try it out make sure to play the most current version. im updating about once a week now.

9. havwok

havwok

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Gah! sorry about this, the past two versions were bugged pretty badly, (2.0 A & B)
    please download the current 2.0C because it has all of the fixes included.
    (fixes include:
    the upgrades for new ships are now in the lumber mill.
    the starting gold is now appropriately at 300 again.
    the key trade ports in the middle have been replaced with a newer correct key trade port)

10. The_Phalanx

The_Phalanx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You gotta get on the ball there doc!

/me hides all the fail versions of TSK XD

11. havwok

havwok

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    O shit... i apologize to everyone this has been a bumpy road. all the bugs will be fixed and the game will soon be playable.

Edit:
    the game is now fully playable, if you have a version before 2.1A, then i suggest deleting it and DLing a newer version, as the versions before were hopelessly bugged.
    If you encounter problems with upgrading to a colony from a key trade port, try recapturing (attacking and destroying) the port until it is remade.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  12. havwok

havwok

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Just updated to the final version.
    Due to the nature of the warcraft three community in the shadow of Starcraft 2, i dont think it would be appropriate for me to continue working on this project. If there is a game breaking bug that needs addressing i will fix it, but beyond that do not expect any major updates from this map.
    Please feel free to comment and give feedback, as there will be a good chance that i will be converting this or something similar into the SC2 editor. (im currently playing the beta).

Thank you for all of your help, suggestions, and interest. As always it is very appreciated. If your looking to find more maps from me or my clan, please visit us at
    http://lsi.comxa.com/forum/portal.php

13. Cweener

Cweener

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Approve.
    3.5/5
    Interesting.

14. The_Phalanx

The_Phalanx

Resources: