1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Naval Tactics FINAL

Submitted by havwok
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Naval Tactics FINAL

In this map, you build a fleet and destroy your opponents by controlling trade routes and having superior ships.

Loading units into your ship will turn them into items in your ships inventory. Footmen give movement speed, riflemen give attack power, engineers give regeneration and armor, ect ect. This allows for an almost unlimited number of ship type combinations. Most unit types effects stack.

Current units:
-footman: increases movement speed by 250 (doesn't stack)
-rifleman: increases attack by 25 (does stack)
-engineer: increases ship life regeneration and armor (does stack)
-navigator: almost triples the ships sight range (im not sure if this stacks...)
-pyromancer: Controls greek fire, allowing it to light the vessels around it on fire.
-Brawler: gives your ship a warstomp ability. (because the brawlers men boards nearby enemy ships and occupies them with fighting on the deck) Five charges.
-Assassin: gives your ship the shadowmeld ability. The assassin knows how to create ambushes and hide your ships in coves or fog.
-Expert Sailor: Greatly enhances move speed
-Battle Sailor: Greatly enhances move speed and increases your attack by 20.
-Speed Rifleman: Increases attack speed and increases attack damage by 20.
-Elite Rifleman: Increases attack damage by 50.
-Supply Team: increases the armor of your ship and has a small health regeneration aura.

The key to victory is the trade routes, which are your income, you can also gain income by pirating the trade routes of opposing players. You gain a trade route by capturing the trade ports scattered around the map. Some trade ports are upgradeable, and can provide support for your fleet.

There are 6 ship types. (when referring to slots, i mean inventory)
Kael Class Sloop: has three slots, is the standard inexpensive ship.
Uther Class Frigate: Has four slots, is the standard higher end ship.
Wraith Class Schooner: Has two slots, is an incredibly fast ship with a hyperactive attack speed. Low costs and high speed make this unit the ultimate hit and run attacker.
Goliath Class Galleon: has four slots, is a lumbering war ship. Trades speed and attack speed for a huge attack, range, and health.
Raynor Class Sloop: has four slots, a tier two sloop unit.
Kerrigan Class Frigate: has 5 slots, a tier two frigate unit.

Beyond this there is one hero admiral flagship that has 6 slots and is fully revivable.

You can buy special mercenaries from the center, and some trade ports are upgradeable.

Just updated to the final version.
Due to the nature of the warcraft three community in the shadow of Starcraft 2, i dont think it would be appropriate for me to continue working on this project. If there is a game breaking bug that needs addressing i will fix it, but beyond that do not expect any major updates from this map.
Please feel free to comment and give feedback, as there will be a good chance that i will be converting this or something similar into the SC2 editor. (im currently playing the beta).

Thank you for all of your help, suggestions, and interest. As always it is very appreciated. If your looking to find more maps from me or my clan, please visit us at
http://lsi.comxa.com/forum/portal.php
Many Thanks, DRM.
Changelog

vFINAL:
fixed an income trigger for orange and added custom minimap.
added allied trading.

v2.1A:
-fixed a lot of bugs, the game is now stable.
-created an alliance trigger set with commands.
-inserted a new savage ship, the Junk. Which is permanently invisible. Players will need to use navigators in order to combat this new ship.

v2.0C:
-fixed a lot of bugs.
V2.0B:
-Added in a new Techtree and adjusted the cost of some units.
-Added in new units.
-Fixed the bug where the Key Trade Ports in the middle were not the correct version of a Key Trade Port.
-Changed the models on Key Trade Ports and Colonies.

v2.0A:
-Added in a new terrain (not technically finished, needs retouching).
-Created 8 players
-players can now ally amongst them selves.
-The item to unit transfer trigger is no longer broken. (yes, its really fixed this time)
-Added in Colonies and Key Trade Ports.
-Created 5 central savage bases instead of the past 1 and a half.
-Enabled you to purchase savage ships at high cost.
-converted the barracks into an item merchant, to smooth the players ship making process.

v1.2B:
-made schooners have 2 slots correctly
-gave admirals more HP
-scaled down brawlers
-decreased unit build times
-admiral can no longer be transported
-Slowed every unit 25 move speed.
-Gave more/stronger towers to the player. Allowed him to build a small amount of towers and (depending on how he uses his resources, 1 or 2 extra trade ports)
-Fixed the range bug
-the soundset on merchant ships was replaced from peasant to NONE.
-Upgrade gold costs have been tweeked slightly.

v1.2A:
-fixed bug with brawler.
-Items deployed from ships will now be replaced with their corresponding units to the correct owner.
-Added many tooltips.
-Balanced new ship classes.
-Altered the movement speed.

v1.2:
-Added the Brawler.
-Items deployed from ships will now be replaced with their corresponding units correctly.
-Created two new ship classes. The Goliath Class Galleon and the Wraith Class Schooner.
-Fixed the sailor tooltip and added ship names for several vessels.
-Upped the cost of the Ship inventory upgrade and made the Goliath and Wraith class researches requirements.
-added 1 inventory slot to every ship.
-Ships can now move without footman. Footman are now loaded onto a vessel for upgraded speed.

v1.1C:
-Added an improved admiral system.
-fixed many tooltips.
-differentiated the upgraded ships.
-nerfed land units.
-added in the brigand.

Screenshots

[​IMG]
Your main port.
(more screens coming soon)

Keywords:
Naval Tactics ships boats sea trade warcraft
Contents

Naval Tactics FINAL (Map)

Reviews
19:14, 13th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Approved
  1. 19:14, 13th Aug 2010
    ap0calypse: Approved

2. irock9645696

irock9645696

Resources:
    Resources:
    Dling and testing some other time

3. Greetz_DK

Greetz_DK

Resources:
    Resources:
    I tip my hat in you're direction sir, bravo!

At first i did not excpet such a gem hiding under that awful map preview! (I played full house)
    Heres some suggestions:

Gameplay
    I like the idea of manning sea vessels with, but alas, i was dissapionted at my selection. I know its only beta but there need to be more.
    • Cannoneer: Changes the vessels damage to siege.
    • Cook: Keeps morale (mana) up.
    • Duelist: Adds the ability "Board ship". Wich tempoarily stuns and deals damage based on how many on board.
    • Bard: Bonuses in form of % to movement, attack and defense.
    • Necromancer: Makes mana useless as spells now costs health + plus small health gain from killing enemy ships.
    • Royalty: The crew is in a constant state of awareness thus increasing defense.

Like the vessels make units for use in trade ports, for an example:
    • Mason: Adds four towers to the port.
    • Black market: Higher income, but at a slower rate.

Visually
    Change the nationality of the four players, you want to feel special

Change the models of Kerrigan and Raynolds (They look the same as my old ships! Dissapointment ensues!)

About the islands, you dont want to have people looking behind objects. Some islands have tall buildings and norther beach'es beaches you can't see!

Stick to a theme for each islands. The large orc base in the middle is a prime example. Its cluttered and seemingly random. Is it a sacrificial temple? A lumber camp? Random straw land?

Ashenvale trees with palms?

And last but not less important, rotation! Some islands has multiple tents that all points in the same direction, not pretty!

Final thought
    There was two missing tooltips, the pyro and navigator (fix it immediately)
    Apart from what i have already said i really liked the map, it was great! But still with a lot of room for improvements and new ideas.
    Its a diamond in the rough, but you seem like the man with the tool to make a truly great map.
    Will definetly check it out, and give a review, when you have it updated.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  4. Hobbit_baron

Hobbit_baron

Resources:
    Resources:
    the idea is quite interesting:) after finishing the exams will test it and comment shurely

5. gangu

gangu

Resources:
    Resources:
    good game! can't wait for a next one!

6. gangu

gangu

Resources:
    Resources:
    hey how does the ships move and how do you make the units back into units instead of items ?

7. irock9645696

irock9645696

Resources:
    Resources:
    Dont multi-post dude use edit

you nid to load the units into the boats

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  8. JansiGX

JansiGX

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    idea is good and could turn to be a really good map but for now there are not much good points.

units as you power-ups and trade route system is grate combination.
    All ships are heroes but there is no hero icons for them (awesome), how is that possible?

The worse so far are tool tips. most units/items have there default tool tips. Which are simply useless.
    There's got to be more units/ships/slots. Currently combinations are not that much possible as one slot must be occupied by footman.
    Also items should turn back into units if I drop them.
    few rifleman are actually better than a ship! drop there hp to about 100. all units should have less hp infarct.

Both unloced ships should be different (at least in coloring).
    Also good idea would be units that give better bonuses but can enter only good ships(example: Elite Rifleman-adds 50 dmg; can enter Kerrigan Frigate only)

For now I can't give rating for this map but as you will work on this map I vote for approval

9. havwok

havwok

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks man. Im not surprised that people like the idea, since i have always been a concept man. Whether my abilities to carry out my idea will follow suit is another question altogether. I have limited time, but i vow there will be updates for this game. You are right that his game is very rough, and tooltips will get done in time.

Taking away the hero icons is possible by using the object editor.

I was really hoping that the footman speed bonus would stack, but because they dont, im thinking of scrapping the entire footman item altogether, that said, i will be giving a research for a battleship type unit that starts with 4 slots and upgrades to 6, so more unit combinations will be possible.

The system i used for returning items into units was really buggy, and either lost the unit altogether or gave the player two units. For this reason i decided to scrap the system until it worked. (should work in next update).

All units will be toned down yes, i pretty much neutered all thier attacks and hoped that would do the trick for the current version, but next version im gonna just remove them and make their health lowered as suggested.

Thanks for the suggestion to differentiate the unlocked ships, i didnt even think about that.

Im not sure on the elite units, but i was thinking of making like, more expensive combined unit type things. might integrate little of both.

10. gangu

gangu

Resources:
    Resources:
    Please do add an unload icon? and can you actually sell the units ?

Awesome game! But i will really hope that the item "units" can turned be into A unit ..

3/5 for now!

11. Chizume

Chizume

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I laughed when my swordmen turned into items outside the boat. Contains many bugs but it is definitely something I've never seen before. Something I'd like to point out especially is the delay when loading a unit onto a boat - it's rather annoying.

Good luck with the project, test the map a few times and check for errors!

Yours,
    Chizume

12. havwok

havwok

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    lol. that delay happens because the unit is unacustomed to making the entire journey. Normally the boat has the movements speed to be able to move over to the unit and meet it half way. Its a pathfinding thing, and i cant really do much about it. Unless i end up scrapping the entire footman item in favor of individual boat speeds. Glad to hear you enjoyed the map, will be updating it soon.

13. Chizume

Chizume

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm not too familiar with high-tech triggers, but can't you just totally scrap the load/unload ability and start from scratch with another one, aka channel?

And about having swordsmen for boat speed. I like the realistic, so what about you make a unit called Sailor or Crewguy or whatever which will increase movement speed (or all actual boat stats). Then give the swordsmen-item a melee phoenix fire ability? The same may go with the riflemen, giving them a ranged phoenix fire ability. Imo it could be cool, but it may be out of your concept (just tossing ideas).

Sharing is caring!

Yours,
    Chizume

14. havwok

havwok

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The map has been updated. It is nearing a more polished game format. I would suggest replaying the game if you havent already because of the vast new changes to game strategy.

15. JansiGX

JansiGX

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    selection circles of all ships should be displayed on water not bellow.

In the description of Galleon it's said it has huge range but it's only 500.

All regular ships have Human frigate or transport ship model while neutral have cool locking Orc frigates... so unfair:cry:

and is there a way to revive Flag ship?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  16. havwok

havwok

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i should fix the selection circles yes.

The galleon is sadly bugged. Im not sure why the range got halved like that. It should be 1000. Should be fixed in the next version.

I used different colors, but i could use like. NE ships as my models too?
    and i had always envisioned custom models eventually.

The flagship revives at your central tradeport (the one that all your merchant ships return to).

17. JansiGX

JansiGX

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't know how good you are with World Editor but if it helps:
    -Look for "Art - Selection circle on water" to fix the circles
    -Did you changed Acquisition Range of galleon to allow bigger range?

And also engineer still have left worker classification making all idle engineers be selectable with idle worker button.

18. havwok

havwok

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Alright. Thanks for all the help jansig. Ill leave a thank you in the quests menu.
    =D

So, besides pointing out bugs (which is much appreciated all the same). what did you guys think of the map?
    was loading units into ships a chore? Did you have fun? Did the extra unit combinations come into play at all or was it just "load bunch of rifles into the ships and googoogogogogoogo"?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  19. gangu

gangu

Resources:
    Resources:
    Can you add a mercenary e.g. Hiring a pirate?