• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Natural Selection v1.4b

Natural Selection

Summary:
Create your species and evolve your creatures from simple land animals to unique and powerful beasts. Fine-tune their genetic code in singleplayer, and then unleash them against others online!

Natural Selection is a sandbox game in which you design you own unique species of creature. At first your species is basic, with a preset size, colour and behaviour. Over time however, your creatures will adapt to their competition; potentially developing a wide array of abilities - anything from fire-breathing wolves to berserker polar bears is possible!

Features:
-Thousands of possible creature combinations
-Adapted save/load system for storing your creations (based on a script by TriggerHappy)
-Advanced creature AI, that controls everything from hunting to mating and nesting.
-Unprotected version can be found here. Mappers are welcome to take a peek under the hood and learn how everything works

Changelog:
v1.0 - Uploaded
v1.1 - Fixed an issue with loner AI. Baby aggressive creatures no longer flee. Fixed ability levelling issue.
v1.2 - Added 5 new abilities, 6 New creature models, fixed allied vision issue, more ai tweaks, pack hunting ability, new save/load system, numerous other bug fixes.
v1.3 - AI improvements, multiple bug fixes.
v1.35 - Fixed pack ability, added -fog and -cap commands, various other bug fixes/balance tweaks.
v1.4 - New terrain added! Credit goes to Saken for making this for me!
v1.4b - Revised terrain by Saken. A little more height variation added.

Keywords:
natural selection, evolution, sandbox, god, sim, creation, creator, toy, creature, species, adapt
Contents

Natural Selection v1.4b (Map)

Level 1
I know a person on US.WEST who would like to terrain this map. Bottom right corner theres a plant that cant be reached and my herbs keep gathering up in there and they wont fight back when attacked. it seems like certain abilities are causing the save to bug up, but it could just be the save/load itself. the games a 8.5 or 9 in my opinion, in otherwords, its not perfect YET. keep up the good work.

Level 2
I can Terrain This Map if you want :D I can also change the tileset and have more terrain variations ^_^

Level 5
I know a person on US.WEST who would like to terrain this map. Bottom right corner theres a plant that cant be reached and my herbs keep gathering up in there and they wont fight back when attacked. it seems like certain abilities are causing the save to bug up, but it could just be the save/load itself. the games a 8.5 or 9 in my opinion, in otherwords, its not perfect YET. keep up the good work.

What is the color of the creature?
I believe the source of this bug is that with the abilities and save code, a creature will evolve below negative in base color. Try evolving more color into and using one of those as your base.

Level 2
I realy like this map, but I would suggest to give carnivores more damage and a 1 sec 30% slow, and maybe make the speed and life differences for bigger and smaller creatures bigger. Also the way the creatures flee is often useless because they stop after a few metres. While playing this map i noted that a 70 size herbivore, without fleeing, always takes in the whole map and even eradicates all carnivores. Very small herbivores are most likely to be killed by 70 sized carnivores even when set to flee when their nest is invaded. Sometimes a hole herd of about 20-30 of them died.

And I think it would be much funnier if the creatures where more active, like maybe that they always go hunting when they can't mate.

If you'd add that they loose health when their mana is 0 and that mana slowly depletes it would become more realistic.

After all this stuff i'd change I only have left to say that this is a realy great idea and a realy great map that i love to play( or more likely to watch^^).

Level 2
Well, you should put an alliance.. or morph together 2 animals or such, it is boring to watch it grow and grow

Level 5
I'll get around to addressing most of these issues. This was only ever meant to be a mini-project, but I definately want to iron out those bugs. Just bear with me, the holidays are over and I'm back at college; I have very little time at the moment for mapping.

Level 2
oh!

this's really a good map

but i found some bug with SL system

i typed in correct code and use the same name

but it just invalided

can u fix it~~

btw i think u can add some regional climate effect

and some different society like lions , ants

this map 5/5!!

Level 4
OK:
[+] The Idea
[+] Gameplay
[+] You can create AND SAVE your species
[+] Almost everything else I can think of :D
[-] A few bugs after a REALLY long game :(
I'm voting 5/5 Keep up the good work

Level 1
Very well made map and original like everyone has said. I made a hive account just to throw in my two cents. Me and my friend play this game everyday, offline in singleplayer and online. We have found lots of weird and interesting things, some others have mentioned and some maybe not.

Some things we have found,

hitting 99 and birthing a creature over 100 usually results in a massive creature (although just massive not really that much more powerful.) Like somoene stated and it only does it with creatures that big as far as i have seen.

Problems with the save/load system resulting in missing abilities sometimes and sometimes if you reload you get your abilities back, but not always.

Smaller creatures tend to never thrive as they can never thrive either as a herbivore or carnivore on any thing i've tried unless i put them alone as a herbivore. (the rebirth rate for smaller creatures tend to be exactly the same as larger creatures but with a higher death rate resulting in mainly just a fodder creature) Hopefully you could do something to maybe make their mating skill cost less? or produce more? or any other stuff to help the smaller ones become usefull for something other then fodder? Still in the process of making a diabolical murlok/zergling army of miniature porportions to rule the land!

I found out that if you turn off respawn and your species is killed off it allows you to be able to select everything. I was no longer limited to just the toolbox (was alt tabbed doing something when this occured so not 100% sure on the factors but i know that my species was extinct when i came back.)

I have been unable to save a computer controlled creature, in multiplayer or offline in singleplayer, it targets uses the ability but does nothing. Lots of creatures that the computer has made with very interesting abilities like electrical charge/death coil/windwalk/web all on one. Tried to save that and it didnt let me ~Tear

Little bit of suggestions,

Maybe you could add in some more info on abilities like how they are gained? Havent figured out if its random, over time, with age/kills or what. i generally notice after i leave it running for a while and come back my species is doing decent enough but have no abilities whilst the computers who are doing good/bad have multiple abilities.

All in all this map is great, 5/5 thumbs up. Fun to play with my friends to see what they do and who comes out on top. Also very amusing to watch your species build up only to throw themselves at the most powerful creature at their nest of 20 only to die, and repopulate (never going extinct) and doing it over and over again until the powerful creature starts to become extinct and you come out on top. Keep up the good work!

Looking forward to your next wonderful update!

Level 1
The main save bug is definitely caused by having a creature with 10% color and an ability, you could consider these creatures to be "genetically unstable" therefore is you breed creatures with high color and abilities they save quite nicely.

Level 9
It's pretty boring...
The idea is great, but AI is totally stupid, carnivors flee, lone hunters stay together and play poker or aren't strong enough to kill more than one prey (when choosing lone hunter it should make the creature stronger), they all starve...
There are not enough choices to make, you should add much more things like caracteristics (more precisely), sociability (with some exceptions like lone hunter sometimes stay in little group), more spells for the Hero builder and be able to watch health of others creatures.

PS : since when lone hunters like polar bears share their meat with others polar bears

Level 1
found a glitch today i was making uber turtels and well i got to size 99 then they where uber

SIZE 450 UBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! coudnt load them but....online is kinda rigged with that +45 attack is evil

Level 2
awesome map. altho i found that herbivores can be forced to eat meat. somehow they gain heath and mana. carnivores lose health by eating plants. you may want to fix it. other than that i would say 5/5

PS:
i found a significant problem. i let my game run for a while, and i managed to get one size 1000 animal. i think you need to take another look at some of your code. also sometimes my animals changed sizes by 100 points. is that supposed to happen? if not consider looking into it. they all only happened a few times, but it still should be fixed.

PPS:
you may want to make corpses immune to magic. my carnivores keep attacking them w/ abilities. also adding an ability for omnivore and amphibious would work i think, you cant get them immediately, but u can evolve to get them.

Last edited:
Level 1
The size bug seems to happen when a creature goes above size 99, crosses to 3 digits. Thats what seems to happen when ive seen it anyway.

Level 5
Done! fixed the majority of the bugs. Had to scrap my save/load system (GUI just wasn't efficient enough in the end), but I've optimised to new one to work properly this time.
I've also added an 'Add to pack' ability, so you can now take a much more hands-on approach with your species!

Last edited:
Level 10
I only played for a few minutes and for that I apologize. Usually i'll play a map multiple times through before giving a review.

Positive
- Brilliant idea that could go really far (even directors cut) and possibly generate a large fan base
- Monster creation is freaking awsome

Negative
- Creature behavior needs work (I made my guy into a lone, carniverous hunter but he just remained at the nest)
- Mastering player controls is at the end of a steep learning curve
- Terrain sucks

Review
- A bloody brilliant concept that will go far if the author continues to work on it. Creature behaviors need refining and I would recommend adding more to the monster creation process (possibly having different models of creatures have different attributes). I like this map enough to work on the environment for you over the next few days (after I finish my research paper).

Grade
Recommended, WPA (work-in-progress)

Level 2
This game is amazing. Fun, easy, original-all the makings of a great game. Definitely the best casual WC3 game i've found. Could you possibly add a tutorial though? I known it's a very slight learning curve, but after hosting it a few times, i get people screaming about why they can't move their units or make a new race. They are morons, but a quick tutorial/intro to explain the game might help. Also, a quick question; Can you inter-breed different species? I haven't tried this yet but some other people in my games have, without much luck.

VERY good concept. I did enjoy playing the map for about half an hour. But I have two suggestions that would heavilly improve your map:
-Fix Lag.
When I played this map, if i made more than like 4 computer players the map lagged when the populations increased. Especially when it was small creatures that reproduce way too fast.
-Add More Creatures.
Although this map does supply a decent amount of animal models to choose from, more would be nice. There are only two categories which are mammal and reptile/other. Maby add a bird or dinosaur section. And I know that these models are not in WarCraft III, but you can download them. Even I can import models and I really just suck at map making on WarCraft III. Also note there were many other animal models already in WarCraft III that you didn't put in but should. This map would be perfect if you reduced the lag and put all the animals from WarCraft III + some custom models from hiveworkshop.

Level 1
its a fun gmae but how about this
-omnavores that only get 75% form planet and meat but can eat both
-make more maps of this with differnt terrain so everyone can get there fav map
-fish and amphimbns they can get a slight disavantage
-more stuff to chose form at the start(example=color chosing)

Level 11
I love this Map.. But sometimes I think you can't really have a strategy.. ^^ I mean.. you can't create a Species so it is hightly dangerous for another species.. but weak for another.. you dont know what will happen.. xD
Maybe put some more features in it.. like species which ONLY steal eggs.. and eat them..

Ghouls are.. a plague.. they sometimes just appear when a unit of another SPecies dies o_O Keep working !
Would like to have a higher MAX size :D
and btw BIG Species are.. weak.. they dont have a chance

Level 4
NICE :D, this games cool
slight bug though might not be a bug but i cloned some units to try jumpstart a particular strain or unit and the units i spawned dont seem to want to move

i think you should make the units change a bit less quickly maybe make it an option so you can have games where you play with a friend and try devolp cool units uber fast to kill each other or games where you can just watch them slowly develope, add more abilitys that arnt just combat related like faster breeding and productive feeding and differnt terrian types which units will develope aspects which will help them on this terrain like faster on grasslands or faster in forests

those are just my ideas dont play to much attention to them xD

quote: "and btw BIG Species are.. weak.. they dont have a chance" Lord_Firage
not really o_O first speices i got to achieve WORLD DOMINATION! was a large zombie it was ridiculus how good it was xD had to kill it off to give other speices a chance x(

edit: i looked at it again you also cant control clones, oh yea game needs fish :p oh and the ability to quickly make prey units to fill up your map since random unit has a chance to make carnivores and carnivores eating carnivores is silly :p

Last edited:
Level 4
When I played this map, if i made more than like 4 computer players the map lagged when the populations increased. Especially when it was small creatures that reproduce way too fast.

Usually when you look at a lot of units on a warcraft 3 map it lags. I mean lots of units in the same place. It just floods and begins to lag. I don't think the map leaks on this one :ugly:

Level 4
the abilitys given´to the Creatures.. seem to be random... I would like to able "breed" a specific Species of Creatures..

lol o_O you can breed creatures and its random because its natural selection the units with the most effective abilitys will survive the longest (in theory) and get the breed passing on their traits but you can breed them you can choose certain animals you life the abilitys of and either control them to breed with an animal which also has cool abilitys and then to can save the product and recreate it as that race

edit: hmm odd one of my speices has changed its race altogether xD? is that meant to happen o_O my mammoth is now a felhound a very very small felhound at that o_O

Last edited:
Level 5
hey callex, i absolutely LOVE this map. But can you please add fog of war? It would make it a lot less laggy and more engaging/challenging, or at least add an option to turn it on!!
Other suggestions:

Add a defensive roll: If monster attacks you then your creature should fight back (between aggressive and passive). I dont want my herbivores looking for trouble but i want them to defend themselves when needed :p

Passive attribute sucks ):. The creatures never seem to outrun the predator and one predator can beat a whole huddle if they dont fight back. I tried being the smallest size passive herbivore and it never paid off.

Carnivore should require more food and reproduce less, they are wayyy too easy. Fog of war will also help

Hope this helps, 5/5!

Level 5
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions!

I've added 'creature cap' and 'fog of war' options to the to-do list. I also like the idea of non-combat abilities. I've tweaked the amount of food provided by a corpse, among other things. Hopefully I can get a new version out in the next couple of days. I'll also look into some of the other issues people have raised.

Level 2
With 1.3b this map is even greater than before :D

But i found some bug(I think): I had Carnivores with windwalk and they windwalked only to stand still until the effekt wore off. I guess its usefull for herbivores, fleeing etc, but could you make Carnivores use the windwalk to attack?

Edit: I forgot to say... even though i like more skins to choose from, the troll and the satyr... well, i dont think they fit in, they even use tools/weapons, in my opinion they should be replaced by something more animalistic.

Last edited:
Level 5
I, too, think that the humanlike creatures should be removed, they just dont fit in.
Else this is a very good map.

Level 5
Yea I though the same thing when I implemented them. I think I'll draw the line at the mur'gul model then. I'm just running a little out of models ^^. I've avoided critters and zerg because they dont have all of the animations that the other species' have.

Level 5
I'm no stranger to custom models ^^ but I would rather keep the mapsize down, and I think the stock models would seem too samey and dull in comparison. I tend to take an 'all or nothing' approach to custom models.

That being said, my terrainer is using a few. No clue how much it will affect the map size at the moment, but from what I've heard it will atleast look awesome :)

Level 2
Hm, I see your point there, to different styles etc^^ Sounds great :D When do you expect the new terrain to be finished, already an idea?

Level 1
Speakin of models... The Zergling and Hydralisk are quite missed by my friends and me... We actually liked how they looked, even though they lacked a Mating animation.
Oh and Trolls should stay... I like my Noisy Neighbors (They are noisy when breeding >.>)

Anyways... Awesome map so far, can't wait to see if it has multiple terrains or not. You should keep this terrain, just in case, give it a special name!

Rating 5/5,+Rep ^_^