• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Naaru

Criticism is appreciated, but I'm afraid this model is unlikely to receive updates unless it's something minor. Anything that will force me to bring it back into 3D Studio Max (e.g. touching up the animation) is probably not going to get down. Testing it is too much of a hassle and there's other projects I'd rather spend that time working on. Criticism that will benefit future models/textures/animation is more than welcome though.

Please give credit to me if you chose to use this model, do not resubmit it to other sites, and do not edit it without permission. If you ask I will most likely give you permission, unless you intend to use this model for nefarious purposes.

Keywords:
Naaru, A'dal, Draenei, Argus, Eredar, Holy, Light
Contents

Naaru (Model)

Naaru (Model)

Reviews
07:03, 6th Feb 2014 MiniMage: While I have no idea what this actually is supposed to be, it looks like some kind of guardian of sorts? Either way, I suppose this could be useful. Approved.

M

07:03, 6th Feb 2014
MiniMage: While I have no idea what this actually is supposed to be, it looks like some kind of guardian of sorts? Either way, I suppose this could be useful. Approved.

Level 25
Really nice. There's only one thing...
Would it possible to make the hero glow weaker and make it a projected texture? (or w/e it is called)? Right now when I look at the naaru from normal WC3 perspective (from above the unit), he glows way too much and I can't see the details very well, however when I look at him from the angle like in the pictures you posted to the model, the glow subsides and I can see those fine details.

So if you could make it so I can see those fine details the whole time, it would be awesome

Level 21
I got to admit this pretty useful.
I always liked the glowing Naaru in World of Warcraft, and you bringing them in Warcraft III is also awesome. :p

Would it possible to make the hero glow weaker and make it a projected texture? (or w/e it is called)? Right now when I look at the naaru from normal WC3 perspective (from above the unit), he glows way too much and I can't see the details very well, however when I look at him from the angle like in the pictures you posted to the model, the glow subsides and I can see those fine details.

So if you could make it so I can see those fine details the whole time, it would be awesome

Seconded. Other than that, Amazing(5/5). It's good to see you around.

Seconded. Other than that, Amazing(5/5). It's good to see you around.

Mhm, the way I did the glow is really messy. The problem is that if I make, let's say, only one or two planes with a glow on them, they only show from certain angles. My initial solution was to just make a ton of glows and I figured that was fine since Naaru are basically an embodiment of glowing holy light anyway. I'm playing around with it right now though. If I can get a better result I will update the model. :)

Would it possible to make the hero glow weaker and make it a projected texture?

By projected texture do you mean have the glow planes always facing the camera? That's called billboarding, at least in Warcraft 3, and I'm not entirely sure how to set that up without bringing it back into 3D Studio Max, which I'm not willing to do at the moment.

Edit: I would like both of your expert opinions. I've tried playing the glow and this is what I currently have. Is this an improvement? Too much of a change? Not enough?

Attachments

• glow.jpg
    glow.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 884
Last edited:
Billboarding is possible with Magos or Notepad, if there is a separate bone for the glow. If they're attached to Bone_Root or something similar, then you'd billboard the entire model.

Yeah, that's the problem. I don't have that extra bone. I could add the bone in 3D Studio Max, but in Magos it's not as simple (at least for me).

Sorry, I must have read wrong. I was going after the team color, it's rather strong and I don't want to use player 10 TCs.

It's an improvement on the hero glow though. :thumbs_up:

Okay, I've tried pulling back the strength of the team colour as well. With how I have my materials setup, removing the team colour takes away transparency as well, so I can only change it to a certain extent.

Last edited:
Level 11
Wow, amazing model.
Don't you think it needs more light effects ? Because the Naaru in WoW have very very great light.

Wow, amazing model.
Don't you think it needs more light effects ? Because the Naaru in WoW have very very great light.

Imo it looks great right now.

It did have more light, but at the cost that you did not see much detail in the texture, since it was more or less just a moving lantern :p

I personally liked it with more light, but the way the lights were made before was very messy. They were unevenly placed across the model and not properly visible at certain angles. I can easily add some lights and pastebin that version, but I won't update the model here unless I see more people asking for a stronger glow.

''By projected texture do you mean have the glow planes always facing the camera? That's called billboarding, at least in Warcraft 3, and I'm not entirely sure how to set that up without bringing it back into 3D Studio Max, which I'm not willing to do at the moment.''

this is where bringing in mdlvis editor is real handy.

I make all my models using mdlvis editor, and there is no ''conversion'' needed.

if its too much trouble to convert work to and from 3ds max, then make the changes in another editor.

''By projected texture do you mean have the glow planes always facing the camera? That's called billboarding, at least in Warcraft 3, and I'm not entirely sure how to set that up without bringing it back into 3D Studio Max, which I'm not willing to do at the moment.''

this is where bringing in mdlvis editor is real handy.

I make all my models using mdlvis editor, and there is no ''conversion'' needed.

if its too much trouble to convert work to and from 3ds max, then make the changes in another editor.

I'm not very familiar with mdlvis, so it did not occur to me that this might be possible. Right now I am content with where this model is. I have changed the glow and it no longer has the problems it had before (or at least they're significantly more subtle). However, if I have this problem again I will consider exploring mdlvis. Thanks for the advice. :)

Level 8
Wonderful model!! Really love this one especially death & dissipate animation's particle effects.
I'd like to use it in my map.
Coule you let me edit it in two ways?
First, I'd like to change the texture using in-game one.
Second, Adjust particles to show in attack and spell sequences.

Requesting permissions..Thanks for sharing!

Wonderful model!! Really love this one especially death & dissipate animation's particle effects.
I'd like to use it in my map.
Coule you let me edit it in two ways?
First, I'd like to change the texture using in-game one.
Second, Adjust particles to show in attack and spell sequences.

Requesting permissions..Thanks for sharing!

Hey, thanks for asking. Yes, if you'd like to make some changes, go ahead!