1. Are you planning to upload your awesome model to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Let your favorite entries duke it out in the 15th Techtree Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Weave light to take you to your highest hopes - the 6th Special Effect Contest is here!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Naaru

Submitted by Hawkwing
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Criticism is appreciated, but I'm afraid this model is unlikely to receive updates unless it's something minor. Anything that will force me to bring it back into 3D Studio Max (e.g. touching up the animation) is probably not going to get down. Testing it is too much of a hassle and there's other projects I'd rather spend that time working on. Criticism that will benefit future models/textures/animation is more than welcome though.

Please give credit to me if you chose to use this model, do not resubmit it to other sites, and do not edit it without permission. If you ask I will most likely give you permission, unless you intend to use this model for nefarious purposes.

Keywords:
Naaru, A'dal, Draenei, Argus, Eredar, Holy, Light
Contents

Naaru (Model)

Naaru (Model)

Reviews
07:03, 6th Feb 2014 MiniMage: While I have no idea what this actually is supposed to be, it looks like some kind of guardian of sorts? Either way, I suppose this could be useful. Approved.
  1. 07:03, 6th Feb 2014
    MiniMage: While I have no idea what this actually is supposed to be, it looks like some kind of guardian of sorts? Either way, I suppose this could be useful. Approved.

2. paladinjst

paladinjst

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    wondelful~~~i like this texture with TC , and that is ur old work right ? i saw it in ur album before .

3. Hawkwing

Hawkwing

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah, the first version of the texture and model is a little over 5 years old. I didn't know where to even begin with rigging and animating at the time so I was hoping someone else would come along and finish it up. That didn't happen.

4. tomoraider

tomoraider

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ooh, I could use this in my campaign instead of the WoW model I used. Thanks for making this!

5. Argos

Argos

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Useful indeed.

6. Razosh

Razosh

Resources:
    Resources:
    Looks perfect.

7. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Looks good! Appears properly in World Editor! Great job:)

8. Forsaken

Forsaken

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Look really good, and i nice ideia, good work !

9. Xavius

Xavius

Resources:
    Resources:
    Awesome model, great job, i think i may use it in future.

10. Ubernator

Ubernator

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Wow, this is a very interesting model.

11. Nichilus

Nichilus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Really nice. There's only one thing...
    Would it possible to make the hero glow weaker and make it a projected texture? (or w/e it is called)? Right now when I look at the naaru from normal WC3 perspective (from above the unit), he glows way too much and I can't see the details very well, however when I look at him from the angle like in the pictures you posted to the model, the glow subsides and I can see those fine details.

So if you could make it so I can see those fine details the whole time, it would be awesome

12. rcshaggy

rcshaggy

Resources:
    Resources:
    I got to admit this pretty useful.
    I always liked the glowing Naaru in World of Warcraft, and you bringing them in Warcraft III is also awesome. :p

13. Mythic

Mythic

Media Manager

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Seconded. Other than that, Amazing(5/5). It's good to see you around.

14. Sellenisko

Sellenisko

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Awesome. Vote for approval. I am happy to see another amazing models from you. Really amazing work.

15. Hawkwing

Hawkwing

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Mhm, the way I did the glow is really messy. The problem is that if I make, let's say, only one or two planes with a glow on them, they only show from certain angles. My initial solution was to just make a ton of glows and I figured that was fine since Naaru are basically an embodiment of glowing holy light anyway. I'm playing around with it right now though. If I can get a better result I will update the model. :)

By projected texture do you mean have the glow planes always facing the camera? That's called billboarding, at least in Warcraft 3, and I'm not entirely sure how to set that up without bringing it back into 3D Studio Max, which I'm not willing to do at the moment.

Edit: I would like both of your expert opinions. I've tried playing the glow and this is what I currently have. Is this an improvement? Too much of a change? Not enough?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  16. Mythic

Mythic

Media Manager

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sorry, I must have read wrong. I was going after the team color, it's rather strong and I don't want to use player 10 TCs.

It's an improvement on the hero glow though. :thumbs_up:

17. AlienAtSystem

AlienAtSystem

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Billboarding is possible with Magos or Notepad, if there is a separate bone for the glow. If they're attached to Bone_Root or something similar, then you'd billboard the entire model.

18. Hawkwing

Hawkwing

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah, that's the problem. I don't have that extra bone. I could add the bone in 3D Studio Max, but in Magos it's not as simple (at least for me).

Okay, I've tried pulling back the strength of the team colour as well. With how I have my materials setup, removing the team colour takes away transparency as well, so I can only change it to a certain extent.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  19. takakenji

takakenji

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    sweet it's about time someone made a naaru