• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My Return And SotDRP News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I am back on Warcraft III. My computer is a little iffy, so I won't be playing many games, but I assure you all that I'm back to work on terraining more roleplaying maps. I will be on East and West.

• East = Saken
• West = Bel.Saken
• Northrend = Saken (The prick who stole my name on Northrend forgot to keep it alive.)

I won't be on as often as I used to be, due to my inability to actually run any good games when on Warcraft, so I'll mainly stick to chit-chat and terraining.

Update on SotDRP:

Lord-Anarki/Narks and his branch of SotDRP are continuing the SotDRP series on their own. They are incorporating many old terrains for their new and upcoming versions, many but not including Vanguard 1.03a (Beta). They will most likely rename Yag-Sinekas to Vanguardian or something along those lines, so for those of you who like that trashed version of Vanguard, it's all yours.

As for SotDRPX, or the other half of the SotDRP team who branched off, which includes 13lackcat, Jakku, Weyrling, and myself, we're sort of not even working on SotDRPX at all. As much as I know, I'm the only one still working on it. 13lackcat is busy with college, as is Jakku. I don't know much about Weyrling, but he is quite busy as well as I can imagine.

I'm working on one terrain at the moment, called Requiem. It's basically 10 times better then Vanguard, and probably will be the best terrain for a while until either I top it, or someone else comes along. Vanguard was my very first terrain, and it was just a learning experience. Requiem is around 80% done terrain wise and still needs a lot of fine tuning, but it's so much more open-eneded for stories, building, and is generally just a lot better.

It uses the Ashenvale tileset, incorporates many different enviroments including mountains, forests, jungles, swamps, plains, hills, fields, valleys, canyons, ruins, barrens, beaches, caves, swamps, rivers, and uses both cliffs and height raised hills/mountains. It still lacks the major swamp and jungle, a big portion of the barren/ruin covered mountains, finished interiors, and another island.

As for future terrains I'm working on, I've thought about making a lordaeron tile-set one with a half underground world and a half above ground world, it's still only an idea as of now. I've also got another pretty near-finished terrain that was given to me by an old friend, but it needs a lot of refining to make it up to par with what I expect out of myself and what is expected by many others who are so harsh to critisize me, when they're unable to do anything close to have as good as what I can make.

I've also got one that's almost done, but it needs interiors and a lot of fine tuning and detail work. A friend gave it to me to make it roleplayable, for it was intended to be an Epic map sized AoS, though the project was turned down due to my friend being the WoW Whore that he is... he abandoned it and handed it over to me. It'll be split down the middle, diagonally, half grassy and full of life, where the other half is blighted and filled with dead stuff. A lot of this terrain will have pre-made things, simply because it'll be an experimental terrain for me to use. I plan on keeping the name my friend had, Serronade of Entropy.

I'm also helping out Clan Bel with some terraining.

Anyways, I'm back. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Level 12
No, if you were ever a fan of Philospher, that had the most doodads for any roleplaying map to date, with over 17k doodads, and I've never come close to using that many. Doodad count contributes very little to the lag, it's more of the model content, triggers, and the combined use of it all. Not to mention your own connection and the host's...

Level 12
True. It takes 10-15 minutes just to open up Vanguard 1.04c, (The final and unreleased version.) which is including the 9-10k doodads and all the triggers, which add a lot more to the load time then doodads.

Last edited:
Level 12
Lord-Anarki and I quite possibly may work out our differences and obvious dislike for each other to continue making SoTDRP.

Apparently I was mis-informed. The 'Lord-Anarki' I was speaking to was a fake who has taken the account names "Narks" and "Lord-Anarki" on West, and the account name, "Lord-Anarki" on East. This imposter also goes by the names, "LeperGnome" and "LepeGnomeSoTDRP". I spoke to the real Narks on East.

This only changes the chances of SotDRP being released anytime soon. I am still terraining though on the before mentioned maps when I get some free/creative time.

Level 8
Well, absolute best of luck to you. Never been much of a fan of SotDRP though, honestly I think I'd rather play the old DoBRP maps or Vuen's and obviously my own but I'm not here to promote.

Anyway I think I played on the Requiem map (if it was it then its much better than Vanguard was), pretty sure some Clan leaked it with a bunch of bogus WoW ripped models.
And would it be too much to ask to replace the custom models you do have with some that are actually useful rather than just random hero models?

Level 12
There is no leaked version of my map. I can guarantee that.

Honestly I miss the old DoBRP maps too. DoBRP5 - Ice was one of my all time favorites.
Vuen's is just terrible for building, in fact all DnD's are terrible for building so they're useless to me as I find more joy in building then actual roleplaying. I can try and fix up the heros, but I was never in charge of that stuff. That was all 13lackcat.

Level 8
lol I'd personally say my DnD is better than sotdrp at building, though I haven't experimented with the limits of sotdrp I suppose. But in my map you can paint water in game :p beat that one!
Vuen's is admittadly horrible at building, but I made sure to include things like changing facing angles of buildings and what not in my own map... My dnd definetly isn't perfect though, in fact going through as we speak and cleaning up and making things working far better. Thought I knew alot about World Editor, well I learned a hell of alot more alot while making it haha.
And admittedly using any of the sweet features I have would require reading through the quest list, and my map only supports one player acting as "DM" at the moment.

Sorry, but saying all DnDs are terrible at building just offended me lol.

Level 1
I don't think it will be that easy. It's definitely got more to it than just that. Importing the custom models and placing the many shops would take some time. And I'm sure they are going to add some new things maybe. Small new things, but still that will take some time ...

I personally like D&D just as much as SotDRP.

Level 12
Once object data and stuff is imported, that means I have to go back and redo a lot of **** that gets messed up by the resizing. I.E. the piers and the column interiors in Vanguard. Requiem uses a lot more **** that has its sizes and tints altered, like I made some green rock chunks, the waterfalls are slightly tinted and are all custom sized, all spires are custom sized, big and small. There's plenty more as well, but those are some of the main ones. Also unless I hear from Blackcat, I'll just go ahead and remove models that arn't needed, and add in my own. I have a good enough eye and taste in good models, so I won't need to be told what to take out and what to put in.

Last edited by a moderator:
cool stuff, if a new proper version of sotdrp gets released ie, non narks i might get back into rping some time.
btw if you place about 15k doodads in one spot then you'll get lag in game and out of game and the whole model spam into a massive THING

also, i suggest making a shrub and flower 'dood' ie a destructible. would be a lot better instead of making masses of units.
(probably with var's 1-2/1-4)

Level 12
You can accomplish that by lowering the ground with the height command, then placing the floating water buildings/units in the area, sizing them up, and tinting them the appropriate color. It's what I do when I make rivers.

cool stuff, if a new proper version of sotdrp gets released ie, non narks i might get back into rping some time.
btw if you place about 15k doodads in one spot then you'll get lag in game and out of game and the whole model spam into a massive THING

also, i suggest making a shrub and flower 'dood' ie a destructible. would be a lot better instead of making masses of units.

I plan on making flowers and shrubs destructible, so the remove tree command works on them as well, I understand that it can discourage builders sometimes, however being an exceptional builder myself, I always find a way around it by covering it up with a building of some sort.

Also, maybe you shouldn't put so many doodads in one spot in the first place? If it's a problem of people ruining the game on purpose, I can't help out on that part, because all games will have jack asses who will come along just to ruin the game. Sorry for the inconvience.

Level 4
Saken, since you`re not on MSN, here`s a comment in this thread.

As me and Jakku discussed, I`m always open to helping out in SotDRP, and doing smaller things in the code like optimization, because I`m sure most of that GUI can be JASS'd.

Get on MSN, WC3, or we can talk in PM.

Level 4
Well, just so I can feel special, here`s an update from what Saken told me last night ^^:

He`s going to run out of doodads in the near future.

The limit is approaching.

Level 12
Basically my old outdated WEU told me I hit the destrutible doodad limit which is just over 6k somewhere, so I removed some useless rockchunks I had spammed in a canyon to make room, because I can always use rock spires and shrubs to make a better canyon anyways. So it gave me some breathing room, but it'd only be enough to MAYBE finish the jungle, which can be seen in bottom middle/left in the updated screen shot on my profile.

Level 3
Cant wait for it to come out!!!

One thing, alot of people love to crash SotDRP's by giving a morphed illidan mirror image
can you fix that? or is that some thing with the model itself?

Level 12
That's one of the easiest crash ones anyways. I believe it was fixed in the most up-to-date version of my finished Vanguard anyways, (Which isn't released yet.) That, and a few other known crashes should be fixed as well. And I back up my map all the time, but thanks again Azeroc.

Also, I work tommorrow, but after that, I'll be off for a few days, so I'll have plenty of time to get the hang of this new World Editor and get some progress done on the map. I doubt I'll finish Requiem, but I'll for sure get the jungle area finished (Bottom middle), hell, I bet the only thing I'll need to do is the interiors and islands with all the time I'll have these next few days.

Level 10
Illidan crash only works on Evil Illidan, normal illidan doesn't crash. It's pretty easy to fix, you just remove Metamorphosis ability from Evil Illidan.

There is however another crash... peasant and townhall thingy...

Level 12
May not be named SotDRPX, may be, not sure. Though I got NewGen working and the bottom left jungle is coming along. I had a lot of free time lately, but decided to go partying instead of terraining, so screw you all. xD

Bottom left waterfall area is also almost done, then I'll do the swamp. New screen shots of Requiem will eventually ve posted up in my Requiem album. For other SotDRP roleplaying/building screenshots, there have been a lot more of mine uploaded into my Creations album. (For those of you who like my cities and such.)

Status
Not open for further replies.