• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My recent suggestion on the WoW Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
This idea came into my head when talking to my friends a few moments ago. Recently some epidemiologists were taking a look back at when ZG was first released, and the Corrupted Blood plague swept across the WoW servers killing all players. They spoke about how the Corrupted Blood plague simulated the affects of an epidemic on real people, except with virtual players playing the part of the populations.

( Above was a summary of sorts from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6951918.stm )

The following quote is taken from http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/gadgets_and_gaming/article2296354.ece

“By using these games as an untapped experimental framework, we may be able to gain deeper insight into the incredible complexity of infectious disease epidemiology in social groups,” wrote the authors, Eric Lofgren, of Rutgers University, New Jersey, and Nina Fefferman, of Tufts University, Boston.

Earlier today when reading up on this topic I did read about a team of epidemiologists attempting to make a deal with blizzard for a future epidemic like the Corrupted Blood Plague, which leads to my suggestion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My suggestion is this:

-Upon release of WotLK (Or possibly a month or so before as to not interfere with players leveling to 80), The Lich King's servants could release a 2nd Plague across Azeroth, the plague would be contracted the same way as Corrupted Blood was, however wouldn't be as deadly toward low level players (10% life/2 or 3 sec.)

-Players would be react differently, some attempting to save fellow players while risking their own lives, some escaping into solitude, ect.

-Even if the players escaped the most intensively plagued areas (Capital cities) there could be Plague carrier-type mobs that would wander around several chosen zones on each continent that would spread the plague to the wildlife of the zone and players they come across.

-Though not to kill off the economy of the game, Paladins of the Silver Hand could have been sent to the capital cities of Azeroth to help ease the threat, cleansing players they come across with the plague in places that would normally be highly concentrated with players (Ex. Auction Houses, and Battlemasters)

-The suggestion would prove fun for many players as it would add something new to the game, and would give the scientists something to use for their studies.

Status
Not open for further replies.