• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Runes: The new fashion in Fantasy Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been searching around and realised that many new games base their gameplay off Runes. Several variations, including rune mastery, rune magic, etc. came forth to alter the traditional pattern of role playing gaming.
If I recall correctly, D&D was the first pen-and-paper game to introduce the use of Runes, but it appears to plague all over the fantasy games lately.

Runescape, Runes of Magic, Leage of Legends, Diablo and more are introducing this fashion.

I am not sure if they add up anything innovative to the gaming experience or allow higher flexibility and randomness between the players, but they seem to be a good way to go.

What's your opinion? Do they indeed deserve to introduce a new school of magic in the gaming stage or does it look like another ambition of the gaming industry?

Runescape, Runes of Magic, Leage of Legends, Diablo and more are introducing this fashion.
I obviously speak of the gameplay, since your closest experience to Diablo is involving them gameplay-wise, by attaching them on items. Of course they will also enhance the lore of the game, since their introduction should be explained, as to why they match with the game's world.

Status
Not open for further replies.