• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #9 - Steampunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Two hours each day should be about enough, and you should simplify things if you don't have time, too. There are measures to be taken while doing stuff. I am about done, jsut gotta mix some things and fix verb and I will post it.
Hurrying up just to make it to the deadline? No thanks. That's creativity breaking.
And two hours per day? What are you people, geniuses?

Hurrying up just to make it to the deadline? No thanks. That's creativity breaking.

Quite the opposite, in a lot of cases. Sometimes composers overcomplicate things that can be much simpler, and better, so forcing someone to use less time to create something can actually be inspiring. More time doesn't make things better past some point.

And two hours per day? What are you people, geniuses?

You don't have to be a genius, but modern tools allow for break neck composition -> sequencing/recording -> production -> mastering by allowing you to put composition and sequencing/recording together, as well as production and mastering. This means you only have two phases, and they can run in parallel.

The fact is, recording music has never been easier and faster.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
The fact is, recording music has never been easier and faster.
I know that. I was referring to actually conceptualizing and having the ideas for the song. Once you have the stuff it's a matter of recording/writing and mastering. But until then... Also finding the proper sounds...
Quite the opposite
Let's agree to disagree then :D

Last edited:
Level 4
Hahah, this is like last minute studying before an exam. Sometimes this approach can pay off musically, diamonds are made under pressure after all :D

Here's my first WiP named... Locomaction !
There's some 8/16 bit themes, supported by steam-machines-like percs and soft pads to round up the theme (or it'll be too harsh)

Like a steampunk retro-game with huge pixels and lovely artworks about a crazy steam-train rushing tracks like it's nothing.

Attachments

• Locomaction v0.1.mp3
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
Level 17
upload_2018-1-13_15-14-54.png

image for my final entry, see last upload for mp3 file.

Clockwork Madness

Machine Heart is a song composed and designed to try capturing the beating of a machine heart - whether it's a simple clockwork machine, or a huge steam locomotive going forward unstoppably. It does this without relying on any preset mechanical/steam sounds, with every effect done with real world instruments alone.

The instruments used are as follows:

Sampled drumkit:
  • Drums - Addictive Drums 2 custom preset
Played by hand:
  • Bass Guitar - my 4 string SX jazz bass
  • Electric Guitar - my 6 string Hamer 2H guitar
DSK Overture orchestration:
  • Organ
  • Flute
  • Basoon
  • Harpsichord
  • Acoustic Piano
Special thanks:

Although all instruments used are real world instruments, they are layered in a way to extract a function out of them, rather than just having an "organ melody" or a "harpsichord melody".

This song utilizes repetitive percussive elements that are often asynchronous with one another (listen to the main drum beat's elements for reference), deliberately put in to represent internal mechanical workings of a machine, while being coupled by a total of a few different melodies that keep being varied to represent different machine states.
  • The kick drum simulates a gear switching/turning mechanism in faster parts, and rhythmic punch of a heavy machine during the slow parts (I added reverb on those parts to make it sound bigger).
  • Bass guitar provides more articulation and attack, rather than mainly providing bass frequencies.
  • The heavy rhythm guitars simulate a locomotive's movement.
  • Lead guitars are processed in a way to make them blend in or stand out depending on the needs of song, while providing the necessary melody to make the song engaging. The techniques used in playing the guitar are to contrast the overly mechanical tone of the song by providing a necessary dose of "heart" to it.
  • Aside from the wind instruments (that are used to provide a consistent texture where needed), orchestral instruments in general serve to compound the lead melody with more rhythmical elements in a consistent manner, and are deliberately taken away at points where the machine is supposed to switch modes/stop altogether. Harpsichord' high frequency content can, together with cymbals, be observed as one instrument, since their purpose and tonality are similar, providing many "small mechanical noises".
As a note to AditTechno, this is my final entry!

Attachments

• HappyTauren - Machine Heart.mp3
    3.4 MB · Views: 151
Last edited:
My latest WiP, take this as my final entry if i don't send any updates.

Locomaction
Run my boy ! Run with this wondrous creation ! travel across the world determined to show the world what you are capable of !
tenor.gif

The locomaction is a crazy, refreshing, blues-like track fitting a rushing steam-train. Crossing different landscapes, you'll find steam-like percs, humming vapor that increases the tension, lively chords accompanying the machine brutality of the rythm.

Styles : 8/16 bit, jazz, electro.

Inspirations : (in no particular order of preferences/impact): Locomotive sounds, jazz classics, Madeon, Porter robinson, my own work (sometimes), teminite, Panda eyes.

Grid : F

Tempo : 129 (start)/~145 (at the end)

Recorded the "aw shiet" myself with Audacity, got the crash sound on youtube on a free to use sample and edited on Audacity and Fl studio 11, recorded some tracks with a Midi keyboard, created the music on Fl studio 11.
Screen :
upload_2018-1-13_22-0-20.png

Attachments

• Locomaction v0.4.mp3
    4.6 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Level 16
Okay! In case I don't get another chance, this will count as an entry if I don't do some quick fixes before it ends. :)
Today is already the end, actually.

I'll update the entries soon, and then proceed to the poll.

EDIT:
Today's updates:
- deepstrasz' Entry submitted
- HappyTauren's Entry submitted
- Added GhostOfPast, along with the Entry.
- Added Donut78's Entry.

Okay, so we got 7 entries by Me, obie, Brambleclaw, deepstrasz, Donut78, HappyTauren, and GhostOfPast.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
So, anyways, if the dead line is at the end of the 14th of January GMT then take this as my final submission. If not, leave the previous one.

beginning-2:50: thought and antithought; the setting of the matrix (the architect's mind is in debate whether and what to create; after long periods of reflection and evaluation, it is decided and the plan is made).
2:50-5:18: the masonry and appearance of the resonance (construction of the sphere and propagation of primordial sound).
5:18-end: life and the cosmic cult (the finalized architecture provides the necessary elements for the generating of entities maintaining and furthering creation).

Screenie:
deepstrasz-sphere of the architect.jpg

Attachments

• deepstrasz-sphere of the architect.mp3
    13.5 MB · Views: 95
Status
Not open for further replies.