• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Multiplayer vs. Single Player

Which is the best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
So i am making 2 Maps at the same time...............

One is WoSA which is 100% Multiplayer..

One is DFoRS which is 100% Single Player...

WoSA is an team or ffa strategy hero arena game........

DFoRS is a TO THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF SINGPLAYER BOSS VS BOSS FIGHT GAME..

So may i ask which do you think i will continue this time?

The Multiplayer Game which i need to prioritize Map Size so i can't add much really new models and other things..but can be played with friends..and mostly as far as i know..it is really fun to play it with friends

.................OR.....................

The Single Player Game that i can add the MOST AMAZING CUSTOM MODELS IN THE HIVE and i can almost Unlimited Imported Models.........and i can continue FOREVER until i die...........BUT...........ONLY ONE PERSON CAN PLAY...but don't consider the boringness......because it is 100% repeatable...only that you can't play it with friends..

PLS...I REALLY NEED YOUR SUGGESTIONS...

Level 7
You shouldn't make your decision just because someone said that one of them is better.
They both have alot advantages and disadvantages.

Why don't you continue both?
Anytime you have the feeling for one map, just continue that.

Warcraft is so old, you don't need to hurry. No one cares about 1 or 2 days anymore.

And as far as I noticed that in all the years.. Maps are getting better, aslong as the map maker is still having fun at his / her project.
If you do something that makes the players happy, but not you, you will leak the awesomeness of your maps.

Hope that could help.

PS: I personally prefer multiplayer maps.. :p

Level 31
I think there is one thread like this and used to be pretty active one. I go for single player. You can do more stuff there, tell a story, polish everything and adding a lot of customs doesn't automatically mean it is one big meaningless bag. Put it to right hands and environment may already do a lot, not everything of course. Plus you go more deeply into the game itself and play longer than 30 minutes.

Level 23
You shouldn't make your decision just because someone said that one of them is better.
They both have alot advantages and disadvantages.
Exactly.

Which project do you like most? Which one gives you butterflies when you start to think "imagine when it's finished and it does this"? If you make a good product, people will come regardless of whether it's multiplayer or singleplayer -- and the best way to a good product is for your passion to shine through.

Having said that, you know singleplayer is the only way to go. :ogre_icwydt:

Level 6
I already finished the Multiplayer Map.......but i decided to create a Single Player...but i will prioritize first...the singleplayer...

Kitabatake:.....having limits will boost your creativity...i think i am 80% disagree...
Why?...let make this in a SIMPLE MATHEMATICAL WAY...

Multiplayer = Limit 5
Singleplayer = Limit None

Multiplayer = 1,2,3,4,5
Singleplayer = 1,2,3,4,5

Creativity ADDITION

Multiplayer = 1,5,4,2,3 (We create things out from the same resources)
Singleplayer = 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 (We create things from new resources)

So what this mean?....

You can create new things but your resources is already used repeatedly....they just go to the same way....(BORING IS SEEING ARRANGEMENTS STILL INSIDE IS ALREADY USED UP)

While if you have no limits.........you don't need to remake the old things.....but create new things out of new things.....Means.....there are always fresh things..

......So tell me if you disagree or agree in my opinion...

Kitabatake:.....having limits will boost your creativity...i think i am 80% disagree...
Creativity Loves Constraints
Design Under Constraint: How Limits Boost Creativity
How Intelligent Constraints Drive Creativity
Need to Create? Get a Constraint
Creativity from Constraints: The Psychology of Breakthrough
Does Creativity Require Constraints?
Creative Constraint: Why Tighter Boundaries Propel Greater Results
Using Constraints to Cultivate Creativity

Why?...let make this in a SIMPLE MATHEMATICAL WAY...

Multiplayer = Limit 5
Singleplayer = Limit None

Multiplayer = 1,2,3,4,5
Singleplayer = 1,2,3,4,5

Creativity ADDITION

Multiplayer = 1,5,4,2,3 (We create things out from the same resources)
Singleplayer = 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 (We create things from new resources)

So what this mean?....

You can create new things but your resources is already used repeatedly....they just go to the same way....(BORING IS SEEING ARRANGEMENTS STILL INSIDE IS ALREADY USED UP)

While if you have no limits.........you don't need to remake the old things.....but create new things out of new things.....Means.....there are always fresh things..

......So tell me if you disagree or agree in my opinion...

It does not work that way.
Yes, a singleplayer map has far more potential and options.
But this will not encourage creativity, you'll most likely just go for the most obvious and easiest options. The map itself will never hit the resource limit and force you to get creative.

I'm not saying that singleplayer maps are in any way worse than multiplayer maps.
It's just easier to mess up a singleplayer map, especially when you seem to have the misconception that more imported resources equals a good map. Working on a map that does not allow you to spam infinite amount of custom stuff would force you to think of ways to make the actual game itself good.

Level 31
To my mind, creativity is too personal to base it on a variaty of options. Surely it is far more difficult to come up with something original having plain grass and ugly cliffs, but it is up to author himself. If he is willing to do something creative and have many thoughts about it, one may do it limited or limitless, and yet to this point single player opens more opportunities. Kitabatake, you cannot say that if there is limit, people will be creative, if there is not, they would not. It is up for author. But misconception is true, spamming 4 MB model do not automatically make it look good. Afterall, author firstly should define his game's type and decide if it is playable online or not, simple as that, not like defining multiplayer or single player and then start making something based on that decision. Creativity of the product should go first.

Status
Not open for further replies.