• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

RPG - Multiplayer or Singleplayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi! I am currently making a RPG, at first i was aiming for a multiplayer RPG and have quite a few things already done for it but now i am considering making it Singleplayer.
The reason why i am considering making it singleplayer is because my RPG will include conversations with NPCs which in some case can be quite long.
The other reason would be because many of the player's choices change his/her standing in the world and affect future gameplay.
Example: insulting a merchant in the beggining of the game can get u into trouble later in the game with the guild the merchant is in. You will end up having worse prices and will encounter an event later in the game connected to your actions.
You don't usually get the Do smth > THIS happens though. Most of the events depend on several choices you make and 1 event can have 3 diffrent ways of happening :goblin_good_job:.

So thats why i am asking:
Fellow hive members, would u rather like a Single Player RPG where you have to consider your choices and see the world around you evolve depending on the choices you make OR would you like a Multiplayer RPG in which you have to truly work together with the other members of your party to reach a common goal?

Edit: Or maybe i should just make a MP RPG thats playable in SP as well ^^

Last edited:
Level 4
I don't agree that multiplayer is really dieing. People still play and ORPGs are best played together with friends anyway rather than random people.
As for single player havin more possibilities, that isn't really true, there are unique possibilities in both single and multiplayer, for example, single player can have deeper lore because the person playing pays more attention to it while in multiplayer, you can have good bossfights that really require teamwork.

It isn't a matter of 1 being better than the other, its a matter of what people would like to get :) and thats what im asking for, what people would like to have, why they would like to have it ^^

Level 4
Yeah, thats probably right, the map im making would be Really hard to play with random people.
Though for the conversation system i was considering making it so the group leader (default red, can be selected by vote to be someone else) can take away the Talk ability from other players to keep them from ruining the game.
However, that still doesnt fix the problem that Going to someplace is Also considered a choice and can affect your future gameplay. So yeah, guess that would be 1 of the bad things about MP - Noobs and Trolls. ^^
Well, 2 ppl for SP.
Keep those comments coming people! ^^

Level 6
if you gonna make SRPG it's just maybe gonna boring for other player playing it solo just hunting doing a quest it's boring for them...
but if you gonna make a multi player RPG they gonna like it PVP,trading item,hunting together,doing quest together,and many more...

so i vote for Multi Player RPG

Level 12
Hi! I am currently making a RPG, at first i was aiming for a multiplayer RPG and have quite a few things already done for it but now i am considering making it Singleplayer.
The reason why i am considering making it singleplayer is because my RPG will include conversations with NPCs which in some case can be quite long.
The other reason would be because many of the player's choices change his/her standing in the world and affect future gameplay.
Example: insulting a merchant in the beggining of the game can get u into trouble later in the game with the guild the merchant is in. You will end up having worse prices and will encounter an event later in the game connected to your actions.
You don't usually get the Do smth > THIS happens though. Most of the events depend on several choices you make and 1 event can have 3 diffrent ways of happening :goblin_good_job:.

So thats why i am asking:
Fellow hive members, would u rather like a Single Player RPG where you have to consider your choices and see the world around you evolve depending on the choices you make OR would you like a Multiplayer RPG in which you have to truly work together with the other members of your party to reach a common goal?

Edit: Or maybe i should just make a MP RPG thats playable in SP as well ^^

If your systems are very complex or complicated like that, then you should make it into an SRPG. If you plan on making an ORPG, then remove such systems, because they would be hard to implement, especially with a save/load system, because you will have to save a lot: your progress, character info, etc. (makes your code too long)

SRPG = You can do very complex/complicated things which you cannot do in ORPG's.
ORPG = Quite limited, but would be fun to play with those guys who have a lot of friends who play ORPG's.

Level 19
I don't agree that multiplayer is really dieing. People still play and ORPGs are best played together with friends anyway rather than random people.
As for single player havin more possibilities, that isn't really true, there are unique possibilities in both single and multiplayer, for example, single player can have deeper lore because the person playing pays more attention to it while in multiplayer, you can have good bossfights that really require teamwork.

It isn't a matter of 1 being better than the other, its a matter of what people would like to get :) and thats what im asking for, what people would like to have, why they would like to have it ^^

Well, in my opinion warcraft 3 is starting to die. Dota is the one keeping it alive. (In this I mean stuff like hosting and playing)

So in my opinion, just make SPRPG. Systems can be made easier. Complex things in ORPG's can be simplified here.

Level 12
if you gonna make SRPG it's just maybe gonna boring for other player playing it solo just hunting doing a quest it's boring for them...
but if you gonna make a multi player RPG they gonna like it PVP,trading item,hunting together,doing quest together,and many more...

so i vote for Multi Player RPG

Not really. In SRPG maps, he could add good/complex systems like: a hunger system, crafting system, inventory system, conversation system, reputation system, etc.

But if he stuck to an ORPG map, he'll have a hard time trying to make the file size not go higher than 8 mb, which would obviously be hard, because of such systems he wants to add in the map.

Level 4
Not really. In SRPG maps, he could add good/complex systems like: a hunger system, crafting system, inventory system, conversation system, reputation system, etc.

But if he stuck to an ORPG map, he'll have a hard time trying to make the file size not go higher than 8 mb, which would obviously be hard, because of such systems he wants to add in the map.

All those systems are fairly easily doable for a ORPG aswell ^^
That part about the file size is quite true though. In SP i could also add more skins, models and sounds. Voice acting for conversations doesnt sound bad either :)

Thinkin il go with SP since its true that lots of the things i Want to do are much Easier to do for SP. I can still use most of the terrain and a few of the systems i already made, just gonna modify them a little.

Comments are still welcome though, not 100% sure on SP yet. Feel free to change my mind. :)

Also, if there are any suggestions as to what you would like to see in a nice SP RPG map, feel free to include it in your post.

Level 12
Ok how bout making a ORPG map but can be play for one player too and if that player using cheat the game will be over and some word gonna appear "Cheat Detected,You Lose"
exit game

LOL.

All those systems are fairly easily doable for a ORPG aswell ^^
That part about the file size is quite true though. In SP i could also add more skins, models and sounds. Voice acting for conversations doesnt sound bad either :)

Thinkin il go with SP since its true that lots of the things i Want to do are much Easier to do for SP. I can still use most of the terrain and a few of the systems i already made, just gonna modify them a little.

Comments are still welcome though, not 100% sure on SP yet. Feel free to change my mind. :)

Also, if there are any suggestions as to what you would like to see in a nice SP RPG map, feel free to include it in your post.

I'd love to see you try to keep the map within 8mb. So I'll vote for ORPG. :ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 4
I decided on SPRPG. Its easier to make and it fits what i want to make much better, mostly because i want to have a deep storyline and Alot of choices that the player can make :)

Tyvm to everyone for sharing their opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.