• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What Matters In An Online RPG?

What Matters Most In An Online RPG?

• High Levels: Instead of leveling to level 40 as a maximum, you'd prefer at least level 60.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
I am very interested in getting as much feedback from RPG players on what makes a multiplayer RPG in WarCraft III most enjoyable. I know all of the listed things in the poll put together may equal greatness, but if you could provide a more in-depth insight on what you like and why, that'd help me a lot.

Many thanks in advance.

Level 14
I vote for Other, since we cant vote for many things at once.

Here is what I prefer in ANY ORPG that could be:

ALL THE GAMEPLAY THINGS! : Gameplay is much more important than terrain. Gameplay features dungeons, systems,removing the disorientations that could be caused for players,PvP and also leaklessness (sorry, don't know the word) So I vote for everything except terrain.

Cool dungeons mean cool bosses. So yes, cool bosses too.
Systems are not always graphic, like what you've said (fullscreen inventory) but also can be without fullscreen, if you get double the size of the inventory, would be awesome.
What I mean by removing disorientation : Some trigger that, when you click on a monster to see his health, just show a bar with his health near him, and bring the user back to his hero. Much much better.
Also no damned cameras that are fixed on the hero. Please..
Well, you know what leakless maps mean.

Here's what I can say.
Herian

Level 15
I'd personally like to see the following:

A big amount of items and levels. A good amoun of quests. 2 types: 1. Quests that can be completed only once per game (small ammount, big rewards). 2. Quests tha can be completed over and over again (ex. Hunt 25 bandits in the northern mountains to get 1000 exp and 350 gold!) This type of quests is VERY VERY important for me! I see most of the rpg-s lack these repeated quests, but they are what makes a player grind ednless mobs of creeps...
Another thing are cool dungeons, where you have to do something and not just enter and fight till the boss. (Fpr example keep of the flaming walls, or watch out for lava traps, or avoid certain creeps, that cannot be killed, etc.)
The Boss fights are really important, too. And the item drops!!!

The one thing I don't like in rpgs is PvP. PvP is stupid. PvE is what really an ORPG is about.
Terrain/decorations can be really handy if used right to make the map look cool :)

Level 25
Thanks a ton for the opinions so far. They're very helpful. I really like that repeatable quest idea (daily quests in WoW) so I'll totally use that. Still a bit unclear about the disorientation part though. Players can just hold alt or click on a mob to see their HP already! :smile:

Level 14
Yeah, but sometimes, it happens that you, when you click on a target to cast spell, don't cast the spell and then BAM! you clicked on a monster.. Fail. if it was a bossfight, and the boss was gonna cast some spell that had channel + you wanted to stun him, you wouldn't have stunned him, you would have died, and lost some epic thing.
That's the point.

Level 25
Usually that happens because someone else is hosting and the other players who aren't hosting get a slight delay before actions are actually processed, whether it's a simple task such as a Move order or ability cast order.

So you mean to add things like visual casting bars and floating texts? I gotcha. Sounds good!

Level 16
I wish you made it multiple choice, as there seem to be more than one agreeable option for me.

Anyway IMHO, three things works for me. Firstly, I want to play a character as customizable as possible to suit my style of play. I would like to have the choice of either picking its abilities, leveling its attributes (which affects the power of the abilities), or pick out each of its classes to my liking. In short, I like to mix and match my own character :D

Secondly, I want to feel rewarded for taking the time to play an rpg, so as I proceed further, I would want to see many, many item drops that are not available from shops, and the rarer the better. These items that we carry would signify what we have achieved so far in the game, and also to differentiate one character from another as each would have a different set of items. Maps with different characters using the exact same items isn't very attractive to me, as I feel like I'm just a carbon copy of another player.

Thirdly, I think the best experience in an ORPG is the chance to work with the other players to do something, like fighting a killer boss, or solving an epic quest together. Co-operative play is so much more fun than each player farming solo and doing their own quest.

Anything else that are uniquely offered by an rpg map I would consider a bonus experience. Hope my little input helps :)

Level 14
Fussiler, the variety of dungeons isn't a great element in my opinion, but well, that's yours.

Level 17
Is this for WarCraft III WoW?

I think the main thing that I enjoy in a multiplayer roleplaying game is that you have an opportunity to bring your friends together, form a party, and play the game as it should be - multiplayer. Players shouldn't be able to have really high level characters and power level their lazy friends or AFK-farm for hours on end for gold or other ridiculously impossible things. I think the other thing is immersion - I want to experience a new world, a unique world with beautiful landscape and adventure, a world that defines the classes, factions, NPCs, creeps and quests rather than vice versa.

for me its the features that the game has...

examples of features in games that I played that I found appealing:

the skill dependent battle system and the skill learning system of CABAL Online.
the job/class changing and War of Emperium of Ragnarok Online
The casting/battle system of Risk You Life Online
The freedom of The Elder Scrolls

and of course the degree of customization that you can do to your characters (equipments, attributes etc)

Level 25
No, this thread isn't for Wc3:WoW. Otherwise I would have posted this in the WarCraft III: World of Warcraft section.

And thanks again for everyone's input. Hope more people get involved with this thread. The more opinions, the better!

Level 5
This is my full opinion:

Terrain is always important, although I understand not everyone can make outstanding environments that make you think "OMFGWTF", there should be at least some effort into this.

EDIT: Also, make sure the terrain matches. Don't have desert orcs in a beautiful lush marsh, or for example night elves in some barren wasteland devoid of life.

Quests, quests, quests. Always have something for a player to do besides grind enemies, or the map could get boring fast. Have things like helping villagers, becoming a part of the city militia for a day, or participating in a hunt for the towns food. And things like warrants, wanted signs, challenges. Have some special boss creeps wandering around in a hidden area, and if you kill them you get a decent item reward. This makes players feel good when they know they're getting something besides a few gold.

A storyline is not completely required, but at least make sure the players know where they're at, maybe how the world was formed, and if you do have a storyline, don't focus the entire game on it. Like I said in quests, have extra things to do besides rush through the storyline. I personally enjoy taking a break from the games story and doing some side-quests and exploring. It's a good thing.

Levels. This can be whatever you like, but, personally, I enjoy having a high level max. 80 is the usual number I would want, but I understand balancing 80 levels is a lot of work and not everyone can do it. Some people disagree, that's fine. Not everyone wants to work up to 80 or 60. Sometimes 40 is enough. Really though, levels are up to you and how much work you want to do balancing them with abilities and items.

Bosses and dungeons are a must for a big RPG, not only for the storyline if you have one, but to have ones that are optional and can be done multiple times for nice item drops. In my opinion, I think it would be good to have at least one for each level group, like a dungeon for players level 10-20, and then a dungeon for levels 20-30, and so on. And not all dungeons should just be storming the place and killing everybody, have puzzles and interesting mini-bosses and creeps to defeat. Bosses, are always my favorite. I'm dissapointed when all I have to do is just walk in with five or six people and DPS him to death. Make it very interesting to fight and kill a boss, have multiple cutscenes for his attacks or dialogue, dialogue mid-fight, battlecries. Give him a variety of interesting abilities, and maybe a puzzling way to kill him. Like having four buildings around him casting a spell, and you have to kill each building in order to lower his health ect. I could ramble on with ideas all day.

Items you should always have in an RPG, unless for some reason you don't need them which is rare, but yeah. I enjoy having sets of items, regular items, everything. Make recipes, blacksmithing, potions, manual enchantments, epic drops from bosses, rare drops from special creeps. I would expect a huge set of items, from level 1 to 80 or whatever the highest level is.

Abilities depend on the RPG really, but I'll talk about both ways. The first is having classes and abilities for each class, which I would also expect a large variety of interesting spells. Buffs, damaging spells, curses, effects, the works. Having a mage, a fireball, some frost armor and a water elemental isn't fun at all, that would just be lazyness. Now if you had a Mage with a fireball, magma summons, lightning from the sky, a powerful triggered mana-armor spell, and a bunch of interesting things would be cool. And thats not even for me, I'm sure many would agree about having custom interesting spells. Now, the other way to do it, would be to learn spells throughout the game. Instead of forcing your mage to learn everything magic, he could learn a priests heal, or a hunters animal taming. Being able to shape your own class is a great idea, but you'd have to make sure it was balanced.

EDIT: Cool Systems are not a must, and it depends on how much work you want to do, but it's always nice to have if you take the time to put it in.

EDIT 2:

Also, I dislike games where one character can walk around and destroy everything. Including other players. I enjoy having to co-operate with my party, like a tank needing a healer, or a mage needing a tank to take damage. Plus I like having customizability like someone else was saying, I forget their name, for example, Gaias Retaliation ORPG, that game is amazing. I really enjoy being able to customize everything on my character. That's a key feature I would love to see in every RPG.

MUSIC: Music is one thing I'll mention even though it's not in the list, in Gaias, they use Oblivions very peaceful music, which made me relaxed and made me want to play more. Music can always improve your map.

EDIT 3:

Interactive town guards, rather than just having a group of people in armor standing at the gate of a town, have guards patrolling the town, some standing at the towns front gate, other lined up defending the barracks or castle/king. And to be more specific about interactive, make your character be able to ask them for directions to navigate around town, if your have a larger city it's easy to get lost and not find things, have your character speak with a town guard and ask for a location such as inn, arena, ect. and then place a minimap ping on the minimap and keep it there until the player reaches that area. This is something I would like to have in an RPG, as I have never played one on WC3 that had this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.