• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mortar Wars v1.05

This map is kinda like Pudge Wars, but with a different play style. You have your Mortar Unit and your goal is to eliminate the enemy players. Your team and the enemy team is divided by an unpassable river and you must launch projectiles to the other side to kill the enemy team.

This map was made from scratch by one person, with 2 different account names.
WC3 Account Names: Pun / Dreknethema
HiveWorkShop Account Name: Dreknethema

Keywords:
Pudge Wars, Mortar Team
Contents

Mortar Wars v1.05 (Map)

Reviews
18:49, 21st May 2009 by bounty hunter2: Approved with a 2/5 (Lacking) rating. You can find my full review at post #13. P.S: You should improve the description, adding tags and images.

M

18:49, 21st May 2009 by bounty hunter2:
Approved with a 2/5 (Lacking) rating.

You can find my full review at post #13.

P.S: You should improve the description, adding tags and images.

Level 5
Ahhh, HiveWorkshop killed my minimap picture!!! Noooo, teh squirrel!!!

Oh well, I found a few problems with it soon after I seen the minimap picture... Posting a fixed map...

Did I missunderstand u or were u gonna upload the same map again? Cuz thats not allowed. Instead, update it.

Level 31
Review

I rate this resource by 2/5 and I suggest it for Pending because of lack of some stuff.

1. Description at THW is lacking. Please expand it making it interesting and useful to read.
2. Map Description is also lacking, it tells creator's name only, but nothing about map itself.
3. I've noticed that the edge of map is visible while cinematic mode is ON. You should hide it, since it looks ugly. Screenshot below.

clipboarda.jpg

4. I couldn't skip beginning cinematic. I suggest you to improve such a system as skipping.
5. Beginng was set wrongly. When you start a game, you can easily notice when cinematic mode turns ON. You should remove it be setting Initialization actions the right way.
6. The first impression about terrain and environment was pretty fine, but after few moments it looked ugly. You added too big amount of bushes, especially when it's bigger than units, lol..
7. Not sure, but I believe that two buildings exist on that one, big House. When I select it, portrait shows me that building belongs to Player 2 and it also has few items different for a second or less. Then it instanty selects Player 1 building having few items different compared to that of Player 2. Just try to select the House and you'll notice it by yourself.
8. Type of map should by Mini-Map, not Other.
9. Massing many upgrades / items(I guess) hot-key notices.
10. Creator's and Uploader's names are different, you must notice if it's you and if not, you need a permission to upload it from creator.

Deleting resource and reuploading the same is against the site rules. Please read it before you do anything.

Minimap should be 128x128 or 256x256 size.

Level 3
Alright I can explain most of the stuff you have listed there...

1.Description: I never really had a reason to add a informational description because i've never really posted my maps on any website and expected players to know what the map is because if they had it, they more than likely played it. But yes i'll update with more descriptions.
2a. Map Description: (Same as #1)
2b. Creator: If you need proof I can always log onto my account on warcraft 3, and vice versa HiveWorkShop, but the reason why I use multiple accounts is because I prefer not to be "noticed". Meaning.. While I play my maps, I play under a different name so people don't get the wrong idea when I start winning, plus it reduces bragging when I start losing.
3. Emptyness: The corner there is suppose to be the ocean, which is considered to be an island you are on.
4. Intro: Making a skip option for the cinematic can be done easily, with Red choosing weather or not to skip for everyone.
5. Startup: Didn't know you could have a pre-set fade filter in Map Initialization, will fix.
6. Doodads: They are perfect for hiding yourself though, thats the reason for size variety. Though I kinda do agree with it being ugly. No reason to change though as it provides a small advantage for both sides.
7. Houses: You are correct, there are 2 houses there for every player on your team. There is a main house, and a advanced house. The items you seen for player 2 was shop items and not the upgrades or trainable units. I havent a clue how to stop you from seeing that. But when you select a house that doesn't belong to you, I have it set to select your house so you can get your stuff as needed. All houses are the same.
8. Catagory: Sorry, as I said, I never really post maps on websites so I did not know which catagory would fit this map.
9. Hot-keys: Will be added.
10. Names: As I said in #2b, I prefer to remain as annonymous as possible in warcraft 3.

I understand the rules of uploading maps, which is why I have no deleted the map and was asking for help. But I did not however see the 3 buttons up top.

The minimap size was originally 128x128, I have made it 256x256, and yet the picture is still fuzzy...

With all that done and said, I hope my first impression isn't bad :(

Level 31
2b. Creator: If you need proof I can always log onto my account on warcraft 3, and vice versa HiveWorkShop, but the reason why I use multiple accounts is because I prefer not to be "noticed". Meaning.. While I play my maps, I play under a different name so people don't get the wrong idea when I start winning, plus it reduces bragging when I start losing.
Notice that map is yours or notice that you have a permission to upload it from real creator must be added. If not, it's equal to rules violance since people might understand that you stole the map.
3. Emptyness: The corner there is suppose to be the ocean, which is considered to be an island you are on.
Why 'sea' gets dark when the sky is same bright? It might look like it, but it don't now.

Telling I didn't know is not an excuse. You should have already read the site rules. Well I have no idea what's wrong with image, maybe it ripped while uploading?

Level 3
Should I change the sky to a darker color?
I'll include both names of mine so people don't get the wrong idea...
-Minutes later-
I'm almost done fixing up the map to bring it as close to the "player standards" and site rules as possible.

Level 3
I will not rest until this map is Complaint-Free!

Edit: Looking for a new minimap picture, unless someone has something I could perhaps use if they are so kind as to let me use what they have in the event they have something that would go with this. :)

Last edited:
Level 5
...not gunna lie...
but tht picture can cause so many problems...

alright well the map is good so far

but there is always room for improvement...
just try to find where im coming from whn i c a bomb drop in my face... lol

Level 18
bounty hunter2's Review on Mortar Wars v1.03

Mortar Wars v1.03 is a mini game, where each player takes control of a mortar team, and must kill the enemies. The sides are divided by a river that can't be crossed. So it's a map like Pudge wars.

The terrain was quite lacking. The oversized dodoads seemed fine, but then minutes in game they just seemed stupid. I felt like an ant among them.

The gameplay is well fun to one point. But eventually it gets quite boring. Due to not much variety, and not much modes or anything else to improve the gamplay.

Concerning originality, it is original, but still reminds too much of pudge wars. It misses some of your own unique stuff.

The tooltips should be improved, aswell as the hotkeys, that should be fixed. You should also add spells to mortars.

Overall, a good idea, not so well done, but as it has potential, and you are wiling to improve, Approved with a 2/5 (Lacking) rating.

Level 19
The hive lately sucks in rating maps, leaving the comments behind.

This is my fair rating. I was a map moderator before, so you can trust in that what I say is true.

- Your map has great potential, even if it is based from another map. It is something what happens all the time, so why so harsh on this one?
- Your intro was great. I didn't even noticed the edge of the map.
- The game itself was fun, it is something else then pudge wars but requires a few fixes:
> Fire is clickable and allows the player to see around the spot (hint= use locust).
> The missile sometimes flies in the wrong direction, not sure what could cause it.
> Ice spawns at a spot and isn't removed that quickly, is that something you want?
- Terrain is perfect, at certain points its a good way to hide your mortar (quality doesn't mean a thing, keep that in your mind!).

Overall:
The game was fun and requires a few fixes and more options in order to have awesome playtimes.

My rating : 3/5 - 4/5 = 3.5/5 .
Yet, I voted for 4/5.

Level 3
1. I have thought over the Locust ability several times, both with players who tested out the map with me, and while I was working on the units. I have came across one problem. When a unit has the Locust ability, they seem to be untargetable in all ways, which includes pheonix fire which I use as a collision spell to explode the projectiles.

Edit: I can use Locust ability on some units, but not the projectiles.

2. As for the projectiles turning when you move while firing, that could give you a hidden advantage as in, if you can control the direction it turns, you could re-direct it in another location that better suits you before it fires. A good idea for an exploited "bug" which can be used in a good way.

3. There is one thing I have noticed with the item mortars though... When you double click them, or use Numpad 7 twice (same as double click) it shoots it in front of your house... Now i'm not entirely sure if I can fix that by adding an anti-target location there, but it would be worth a try.

Edit: Tried to fix, guess I do not have the knowledge to do so. I even tried to make a dummy unit in the location you shoot it in, then have a condition check if its the spot in front of the house, then an action to stop your unit. Didn't work...

4. The ice that never goes away could cause some lag problems, would adding a expire time remove it?

5. As for the bug where you get a direct hit and it deals no damage, i've never seen that before and don't know what happend there... I do have a few theories though, but they deny your "direct hit"...

1.) When two projectiles collide, they explode. Sometimes they can explode right after you shoot if there is another projectile close enough to you.
2.) I recently removed the "fly" from all projectiles making them "foot". I didn't think they would be effected by the ground path blockers in the river and thought it might possibly fix a bug in the terrain where they go underground. So far they work, but i'm not sure if they would cause problems.

What color were you and what color was the enemy player? Did you have any agility (Damage) on your character past 15? Did the enemy player have high health? Sometimes high health can effect a player's judgement on how much damage they take.

The way I have the trigger setup, it is suppose to damage everything in an area around the projectile. So it is hard for me to believe that you got a "direct hit" with no damage but worth testing out and making sure thats not possible...

6. As for making the map less like pudge wars, and more unique, I lack creativity. Any suggestions that a semi-beginner/intermediate map maker (don't know jass, don't know loop trigger) could add in? Or if you have ideas of your own that you would like to impliment that I could not, I could send you a copy of an unprotected version, though I must warn you, my trigger methods are.... Different.... Almost wierd (quoted by several in-game map makers). Most of my triggers "collide" with eachother making it harder to edit them.
------
Edit: I just organized all my triggers (they were all over the place) and threw them into seperate folders...

Edit: I just remembered a new bug that I cannot fix... After a certain amount of time played in the game, the selection triggers glitch, making you de-select your mortar constantly (for red, dunno about anyone else). I can't fix that :|

Edit: Hopefully my new minimap picture works on the website.
Edit: I have changed the picture BUT it still comes out ruined on the website! But not in the game. Any ideas?

Last edited: