• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

PONG v1.05

PONG
sc1ih.png

sc2a.png

sc3n.png

sc4k.png

sc5b.png

sc6f.png

sc7t.png

sc8.png

sc9o.png

sc10.png

sc11p.png

sc12c.png

sc13.png

sc14.png

sc15.png

sc16.png

sc17.png

sc18.png

sc19.png

sc20.png

Gameplay footage recorded by Vengeancekael.

(This is from a really old version.)

Key features
  • A 2D map, recreating the arcade game Pong
  • Players use arrow keys to move around
  • Player 1 can select from various modes
  • Thrust - an ability that creates a whole new strategy to the concept of Pong
  • Events and Power-ups that boost up the gameplay, variety and replay value
  • Has a save/load rank system
  • A fun mini-game that's easy to pick up and play for anyone
Feature description

Modes
Player 1 can select between four modes at the beginning of each game.
- Points - Player 1 selects the amount of points to win the game
- Lives - Player 1 selects the amount of lives each player gets, last man standing
- Rounds - Player 1 selects the amount of rounds played
- Time - Player 1 selects the amount of time played

Thrust
The thrust is an ability your paddle is able to use by pressing either the left or right arrow key, depending on what side you're on. Performing thrust will make your paddle strike out of its place and give a powerful thrust to its left/right. If it hits the ball, it will use all its Thrust Power it has stored and give the ball a strong hit, increasing its speed depending on your Thrust Power. Thrust Power replaces gold in Pong, and it will increase by hitting the ball.

Events and Power-ups
Player 1 can choose how much time passes between each event, and how high a frequency there is on Power-up occurrences.
Events occur every x seconds, and will affect the gameplay in some sort of way. Some of them are very hard to master.
Power-ups will appear on the arena. They can buff up your paddle, give you Thrust Power, or give a negative buff on your opponent. In lives mode they can also give you extra lives.

Rank system
The game uses a save/load rank system. At the end of every match you gain Pong Points. You are given a rank depending on your amount of Pong Points. Use "-save" to get your code to load your rank in your next game, and "-load <code>" to load it.

Special modes
There are a few special modes Player 1 can set after setting intermission.
"-nm" Sets mode to Normal (no change)
"-am" Sets mode to Advanced (different mechanics on Thrust, Power-ups depend on rank)
"-cm" Sets mode to Classic (no Thrust)
"-sm" Sets mode to Speedy (paddles move faster)
"-tm" Sets mode to Twin ball (two balls always on arena)
"-gm" Sets mode to Gates (paddles are turned into gates and are opened by a key)

Models:

Paddle and ball models by chilla_killa.
Codegen system by TriggerHappy.
Booster/arrow model by hellblazer-14.
Light Nova/Dark Nova models by jetfanginferno.
Explosion model by WILL THE ALMIGHTY.
Mario cursor skin by XDogg.
Key model by Kitabatake.

Testers/Support (U.S. East):
  • Eggs
  • Hoplite)
  • killya18
  • Whiskey)
  • Tal0n
  • Slayer11111

and another thanks to Tal0n for making the AI!

~ Map uploaded

~ Changed the angles ball takes when starting
~ Improved map description, gave credit where I had forgotten to
~ Changed minor, un-noticable things

~ In one game-end no Pong Points were given - that has been fixed
~ More Pong Points awarded for draws
~ Indicated that Reverse-a-mathon event was on/off

~ Changed ball collision on paddles completely, improving gameplay a lot
~ Updated the Guide log, which had remained untouched for quite a bit
~ Added a lot of small details, fixed minor things as well

~ There was a huge bug that I had to fix
~ Nothing else really, just some minor things

~ Skipped a few betas, released the first non-beta version

~ Reverse-a-mathon event easier to handle
~ When your opposing player leaves, the game ends and gives Pong Points
~ Made ball unselectable again after being hidden by booster
~ Improved the Guide log again
~ A lot of more small details and fixes

~ Added two new unlockable commands!
~ "-tint xx xx xx" Tints your paddle to a customized color - Unlocked at rank 20 (e.g. "-tint 99 10 10" is a red color, with a hint of blue and green)
~ "-bc <unit name>" Changes the model of the ball to the unit you typed in! - Unlocked at rank 80 (e.g. "-bc wisp" changes the ball to a wisp, "-bc reset/-bc ball" to change back)

~ Fixed some bugs
~ Added some details

~ New unlockable command!
~ "-pc" Changes your paddle to a flower-pot. - Unlocked at rank 50
This is sort of an inside joke, since the first variation of my Pong map used flower-pots for the paddles' models

~ A LOT of fixes and adjustments
~ Removed A LOT of leaks, game runs more smoothly now
~ Improved a lot of triggers
~ New (slightly different) Preview image

~ New single player options, Wall and Computer AI (AI made by Tal0n)

~ Wall - Creates a Wall at your opposing side, and removes the enemy paddle. Only mode here is Lives, and it will count the elapsed time when game is over and tell you how long you survived
~ Computer AI - Three difficulties, Beginner, Intermediate and Expert. Still a bit shaky (no pun intended), AI might be updated

~ Advanced mode revealed - If both players are rank 10+ they can choose between two new modes

~ MANY minor adjustments and fixes, including:

~ Time elapsed is shown throughout the game
~ You are now given a special icon, depending on your rank
~ Teamcolor codes are now correct
~ No color icons are shown on the in-game multiboard
~ Overview multiboard now shows playtime and Points/Lives + difference
~ You only need to type -stats/-info <first three letters of player's name> (without <>)
~ Awards are only shown in Rounds/Time if award points are more than 0
~ Awards now go over faster, and look nicer (different colors)
~ Other realm ball event will now only make the ball take a random direction forward, not backward
~ Improved map description here on the Hive - now includes screenshots of gameplay and a new video
~ New loading screen
~ And A LOT more bug fixes/adjustments

~ Three new events!

~ Gate mode - Both paddles are turned into gates, and a key is spawned. The key will bounce if hitten by the ball, and if he goes near a gate, it opens and the player has to tap an arrow key to close it (there is now also a mode based off of this event)
~ Ellipse - A green black-holeish object spawns on the arena, which has a gravitational effect on the ball. It can differ in size and strength, and will either pull or push the ball if close
~ Extra paddle - A third paddle spawns in the middle of the arena, and will move up, down, left or right. If hit by the ball or Thrust, he changes speed and direction

There were so many adjustments and fixes, that you wouldn't believe it! This version is like no other.

~ There was a bug with angles, messing up Thrust, Power hits and some events - everything fixed
~ Fixed Other Realm Ball event bug
~ Fixed when your paddle kept going backwards from Thrust, now you port instantly to your current position
~ Fixed so that when your paddle is going backwards from Thrust, he can't hit the ball
~ Made the Gate Mode event show the number of taps tapped
~ Made Thrusts hit on Portals, booster and key count as a Thrust for the multiboard and awards
~ There were some more minor adjustments as well...

~ Lowered the sensitivity of portals
~ Fixed a bug with Thrust power showing incorrectly on overview multiboard
~ The tint command (-tint xx xx xx) no longer requires a rank
~ Fixed other minor bugs

~ Added titles for the winners of the PONG tournament (see thread here)

Keywords:
Pong, Pong, Atari, Arcade, Ball, Paddle, Tennis, Table-tennis, Table, Pong, Pong, Pong, Pong, Pong, Pong, Pong, Pong, Pong, Pong, Pong, Pong, Pong, Po
Contents

PONG v1.05 (Map)

Reviews
12:33, 7th May 2011 -Kobas-: Status: Approved Awesome idea.
I must say, the bot that autohosts this game kicks ass. I downloaded the newest version from it at over 1,000 KB/sec. Sure, I download much faster online, but you don't usually see downloads from a host on war3 go anywhere near that quickly.
Although the announcing of each refresh is somewhat annoying, would you turn that off please? It really isn't necessary; the game refreshes either way.

Level 2
Searching pong-gamers for make pong-games :wink: on Europe b.net server. Channel : Pong
I can't host so if the other can it's nice.

I could suggest to eroticsideburns to make his autohost multi realm, imo that'd be nice. So you'd be able to play on pretty much every realms.

Level 6
TLI-Inferno said:
I must say, the bot that autohosts this game kicks ass. I downloaded the newest version from it at over 1,000 KB/sec. Sure, I download much faster online, but you don't usually see downloads from a host on war3 go anywhere near that quickly.
Although the announcing of each refresh is somewhat annoying, would you turn that off please? It really isn't necessary; the game refreshes either way.
I know it refreshes without it, but people are impatient, and those who do not know a lot about bots won't know it is refreshing without that message.

Wave said:
I could suggest to eroticsideburns to make his autohost multi realm, imo that'd be nice. So you'd be able to play on pretty much every realms.
I'll make it host multi-realm soon (thanks for helping me with that).
EDIT: The autohost bot now hosts on servers U.S. East and Europe.
On Europe it hosts in channel PONG, and on U.S. East it hosts in channel Clan PONG.
(/whois PONG-Host)

Last edited:
Level 6
Nestharus said:
It'd be cool if it had a 4 way pong mode and a tournament mode : P

For the billionth time, read the foreword.

EroticSideburns said:
I am also aware that a 4 player mode would be grand in this map, which is why I may some day do it. Right now however, I do not plan on doing it since it would take A LOT of tedious and boring work.

Level 2
I dont think removing it/editing it would be useful. Any save/load system on wc3 are crackable. A friend of mine was able to crack you td's codes.

Let them crack it if they want to, the impact on the game isnt big at all.

Level 11
I didn't read the whole thread but i don't care

WHO IN THE WORLD WOULD WASTE HIS TIME PLAYING PONG???Vladadamm WHO HAS NO FUCKING LIFE??

I KNOW, DYNAMICXZ WHO APPRECIATE GUYS LIKE HIM WHO HAS NO LIFE CREATING MAPS THAT DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE!!!!

I really think this comment isn't needed,this map isn't a story,it doesn't have to have a sense,it has to be fun and playable,and it is,if you don't like this map you could have told this in a better way
And what if i like the map?it's a tribute to the classic pong game,which i assure u,if it wasn't pong,there wouldn't be any call of duty,avp,assasin's creed and all those stuff
And once again what is your problem if i like it?it is my opinion and everyone should respect it,like i respect everyone else's opinions

Again,good job to the creator of the map:goblin_good_job:

WHO IN THE WORLD WOULD WASTE HIS TIME PLAYING PONG???Vladadamm WHO HAS NO FUCKING LIFE??

I KNOW, DYNAMICXZ WHO APPRECIATE GUYS LIKE HIM WHO HAS NO LIFE CREATING MAPS THAT DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE!!!!

This is not the psychopath department.

Level 2

Who is no life enough to waste time writting a post like that , on a map you don't even like.

We dOn't wanna hear the raging of a sexually frustrated nerd, please be constructive or get out.

I personally think this map has become innovative. At first, it was boring and essentially a copy of any online pong game, but over time it's become original with it's own twists using all sorts of events. I only wish I could actually play it, because it seems not enough people join the bots.
Most people are wary of 2-player games in public, if you made this multiplayer-compatible with multiple games at once, like a tournament (people face each other and eliminate until one person is victorious). Say, maximum 8 or 10 players. Of course, that rises one issue: If you used specific player functions then you would have to entirely redesign the triggers.

For now, due to the improvements over the past few weeks, I'm giving this a 4/5.

I won't be able to give this a 5/5 until you extend it to allow multiple games at once.
Also, this isn't really needed, but team pong would be wicked. That's up to you, though.

Btw you need to include the epic music in your gameplay sample!

Level 6
TLI-Inferno said:
Of course, that rises one issue: If you used specific player functions then you would have to entirely redesign the triggers.
Yep. It was stupid of me that I didn't make it as a multiplayer map from the start. I find it pretty boring to play, actually. It may be a bit fun at start, but it gets really boring quick and isn't that addicting. This is because of the 2-player only, I believe.

There is a bug with the Change Places event. After the Event, the Player 1 (red) can't use the thrust.

2others bugs :

When i have reached the thrust power limit, power-ups can still gives me more thrust power. ( so i can make a 1XX power thrust. )

When there is an Intermission in the Twin Ball Event, only 1ball is paused for in the Intermission time and not the both.

And a little question : when is the next tournament ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 6
Vladadamm said:
There is a bug with the Change Places event. After the Event, the Player 1 (red) can't use the thrust.

2others bugs :

When i have reached the thrust power limit, power-ups can still gives me more thrust power. ( so i can make a 1XX power thrust. )

When there is an Intermission in the Twin Ball Event, only 1ball is paused for in the Intermission time and not the both.
Will be fixed when I have the time (working on another project atm).

Vladadamm said:
And a little question : when is the next tournament ?
Probably won't be one, the community isn't large enough.

Level 9
Your map is quite amazing, the way you play it is amazing. And the idea of reviving a game and take it into the Warcraft interface is quite cool :) Also as far as i played i haven't found any bugs... so keep up the good work :).