• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Moderator Position

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
As the title says, I'd like to become a moderator here at the Hive. We seem to be gathering more members everyday, quite a few of them active, so I think soon there will be a need for more modertors. And as such, I'd like to volunteer.

Level 12
I have some questions for you:
What have you done for us?
What will you do for us?
What will you change if we gave you the power?
What will you edit and how will you edit it?

Level 18
What have I done for the Hive? That's a hard one, I'm not quite sure why I'm a CTP Honoured Member rather than just a CTP Member, but I beleive I have added to this community, and I have submitted a few tutorials that I hope will help people. If someone has asked a question that was within my knowledge to solve then I generally have. I've tried to be respectful to the community and I certainly haven't done any harm.

What will I do for the Hive and What will change if you gave me the power seem to be the same question, or near enough so I'll answer them as one. I'll help make sure none of the rules of the Hive are broken, and if they are, fix the problem. i.e. if someone started a flame war with another person, then I would give them a chance to stop, and if they did not, then I would most likely delete the posts or split them to the board trashcan forum if we had such a thing.

What willl I edit and how will I edit it? Well, I don't think I'd edit people's spelling mistakes like you do, Malufa. Instead I'd either A: reply to the topic and as a P.S. tell the person to fix their spelling, or B: if I didn't have anything to say on the topic, send the person a PM telling them to fix their spelling. I belelive fixing peoples spelling for them means they won't learn to spell properly, while getting them to fix it themselves means they will. I'll split off posts that go too far off topic, sticky topics I beleive to be important enough. Delete or edit posts that break the rules, with a warning to the poster.

I think that covers everything.

Level 12
I see what you are saying about the spelling, and I have tried that. Most people are unwilling to do anything about their own spelling (*ahem* Dan) or do not post enough to really be bothered by it. Also sometimes people make very small errors, it is seldom that I need to make large changes and when I do it is from a non-primary english who do not realize their mistakes.

That is my opinion, tho, take it as you wish. Both fields of thoughts have pros and cons so you can do it your way and I will do it my way. If you find errors in forums I do not go to (random) feel free to ask them to correct it anyways. You do not need to be a mod to fix a problem you find.

Level 24
We have very few rules breakers ere at The Hive luckily, so mostly what we would need a moderator for is to moderate the mapping and resource forums so they can help people there. Maybe be a bit more active there and I will consider it a bit more.

Level 12
Also someone who can reorganize our maps so they are more efficent would be nice.

Level 18
Bob27 said:
We have very few rules breakers ere at The Hive luckily, so mostly what we would need a moderator for is to moderate the mapping and resource forums so they can help people there. Maybe be a bit more active there and I will consider it a bit more.

I know we have few rule breakers at the moment but I expect more will come seeing as we are a fast-growing community, also Malufa, what do you mean by reorganize the maps? Catorgarize them, what?

Level 24
Lol I tryed getting rid of some rule breaking maps before but there was about 5 pages of them, 5x50= what? 500 maps, and thats not even all the rule breaking maps their just the ones with no description.

And trust me, any rule breakers that have constantly broken rules have either been suspended or banned.

Level 5
(offtopic: 5*50=250 but thats still alot)
About the maps section, i never download a map from it because there are to many maps uncategorised. Solving it is a huge amount of work because of the huge amount of maps.
About the spelling errors, i prefer it if no one edits my work unless i am flaming, which i wont. But what i dont know about i dont care about.

Level 12
Hey no one ever said being a moderator was all fun and games, there is a lot of hard and sometimes grueling work involved. You could get started on it and as soon as I can I will help you when I can, but I see no reason to give up just because it is hard, in fact if anything it needs to be done because of the difficulty.

Level 36
I don't find it that difficult, as long as your screen brightness is good. It adds a bit of flavour from the drab white text consistantly seen (such as this text for example :p) but perhaps purple wasen't the best colour choice seeing as it blends in very nicely with the black background, making it possibly harder for those of us that have moniters that cannot go bright enough, or even with the brightness all the way up still have a hard time seeing. You want a colour that contrasts with the background instead of flowing with it becuase you want your text to stand out. With a mid-brightness moniter, if it wasen't for the post box, I would have a hard time knowing that there was even any text there. Other then that, from what I've seen in the limited amount of time that I have been here, you have been a kind and helpful member and you have always treated me (the lowly new guy member) with a degree of respect not often found in most forums. That goes for the other moderators and Admins too, Malufa, Bob, Ralle, everyone. I think that the Hive would benefit having you as a moderator, but it is not my place to say. As for reorganizing the maps, I think it is in need but as for the descriptions, I think I can help with that.

IntegraMOD has a feature called word censor. Basically, it allows you to censor certain words that would be inappropriate for use on the boards, most usually replacing them with funny ones that make the post make no sense and make the author look like an even bigger n00b. If Ralle, in his PHP-Guruness, could mod the function to work with the map submission perhaps you could set it so that it does not allow you to post a map with certain words in the description and/or map name etc, sure, if people really wanted to be malicious, they could change the map name and description to something that would pass, but I don't think we have those kind of people at the hive.

Just a suggestion, If a long one, is all :p

PS, sorry for going off topic there a bit, but I was trying to address some of the other posts as well ;)

Level 21
Malufa said:
Most people are unwilling to do anything about their own spelling (*ahem* Dan)

I am not going to deny that I have poor spelling and grammar and that I don't really care, I believe I have said this before too. However I would like to point out that I realise this and I do try, for example I am now spelling grammar with the r at the end, but I don't exactly make it my top proirity. I believe that what counts is the content of the post, what the person is trying to say, not how well they have said it. And on top of that I will try to keep improving, but I am so used to missing capitals and letting spell check do it for me that it may take a while before you are satisfied, if you are ever satisfied, but we will see right :wink: .

Darkdraak said:
Well he has a point there, it is difficult to read the purple

i second that.

Level 12
Ack, again someone is using green to edit and they (again) are not catching all of the errors. Yes I realise you are doing better, Dan, and I have said as much before, just mainly be careful to not continually slip into old habits.

I have actually brought this up with Shados (the colour thing) yesterday or the day before but as no one else complained about it I figured it was just this piece of junk computer so we let it die. Now the issue has been raised by others so now we know it is not just me, but the decision is still his.

Level 18
I really do not see the problem, my moniter's brightness is only set to 60/100 and I don't have a particulairly bright moniter. I'll have a look at my posts on a few other moniters and see how much of a difference it makes. Perhaps some of you have your brightness below 50 or so?

Level 12
Hey it never hurts to be popular. We should be deciding soon, next week at the latest most likely. Thank you for your time and patcience (sp?) in this whole process.

Level 12
Just because she was before my time does not mean one cannot admire her.

Shados, feel free to make the correction, that is why I asked for the spelling :wink:

Level 18
Ok, for the benefit of those of you who find my posts too hard to read I will return to normal coloured text, 8(. Anyway, here's a little transcript from between me and a mate over Xfire:

cha0scha0: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1537&start=30 on therer is my font colour too hard to read? as in too dark?
zi99: looks fine to me
cha0scha0: hmmm
cha0scha0: Half ppl say too dark, half say fine, wtf is happening? Also the people who say it's too dark think it was alright before the forum changed layout, this is weird.

Level 18
GST_Nemisis said:
if you learn how all the weird hex-like code works you would be able to get a colour purple that is slightly lighter than normal and so more visible its when you type or something.

/Irony: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1396

Good idea though, I actually hadn't thought of that.

Let see
Fuchsia EDIT: Why doesn't Fuchsia work?
Indigo
Lavender
Magenta
Medium Purple
Purple
Violet

What looks best to those of you with the problems?

And hurry and make a desicion!

Status
Not open for further replies.