• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #29 - Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
attachment.php

My Concept Art is not done yet, But I since I have a very clear idea on how the Ogre Should look like, Here we go :)

After for so long, Finally I modelled something again :p

I admit I copy Tauer Senpai's "Style"

I'm going to try to do my own texture, Im really sick of Wrapping :p
I bake the Ambient Occlusion just because it looks so damn cool XD

Probably Going to wait a while to even have progress, I made this because i was procrastinating on the work that i suppose to do :p

here's some Update on the concept if you wanna see :V
154185d1461591595-hayate-random-art-concept-artogrecannonersquad.png

Attachments

• OgreScreenie.jpg
    OgreScreenie.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 851
Level 9
Yea, just taking renders.. gonna release them soon after.

1471 polys. I'm gonna give it a time to think about possible changes before texturing.

Attachments

• wip002(2).jpg
    wip002(2).jpg
    165 KB · Views: 247
  • wip002(3).jpg
    wip002(3).jpg
    168 KB · Views: 170
Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm.. very interesting wips, Cold, but in my experience, they are just waay too complex for warcraft 3
reasons, while there's no doubt that your mesh looks really cool, usual war3 units and heroes utilizes simple shapes with low-detail; everything is pretty simplified mesh-wise as war3 relies the most on textures for definition. and this might be even more important on squad-like units.

anyway, just saying

Level 9
Misha, you're %100 right. Very first reason why i'm going with complex shapes is because i paint my textures with mouse and its so hard to give a material look with it. So i'm trying to prevent it by detailing the model. As soon as i buy a graphics tablet, hopefully i will handle this but also i never nailed a character completely working in warcraft 3, i messed up last time... god knows what problems i'm going to face this time... I'm just trying but thanks for the advice.

Hmm.. very interesting wips, Cold, but in my experience, they are just waay too complex for warcraft 3
Man, 1471 polygons for 2 characters. Two of them. If it looks complex it's because polies are pretty well distributed. (Or you aren't counting tris, but polies of more sides)

Anyhow, Coldblows, I salute you for the WIP. :)

@Hayate: looks great!

Level 20
2.8k tris. Yup. Gotta work hard to decrease some tris. Steampunk is tough due to it normally needing gears, linkages, as well as the burner -> boiler -> engine as well as the details that each parts have. And I haven't even added the super important flywheel.

Yup, another gnome machine. Guess I make gnome stuffs pretty often.
Do look forward to what it is in the end :)
They even has a squad name.

Attachments

• Screen2.jpg
    Screen2.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Screen3.jpg
    Screen3.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 130
Looks nice!

And this isn't an important thing, but the parallel perspective you're using at the screenshot certainly doesn't do justice to your model, it makes us think something is really wrong with it, while it's the perspective, and the program's shading. Try exporting it to WE and taking the screenshots there in the next ones.

Yup, another gnome machine. Guess I make gnome stuffs pretty often.
Do look forward to what it is in the end :)
They even has a squad name.
How many gnomes will be needed to carry that machine? :p

Level 50
Looks nice!

And this isn't an important thing, but the parallel perspective you're using at the screenshot certainly doesn't do justice to your model, it makes us think something is really wrong with it, while it's the perspective, and the program's shading. Try exporting it to WE and taking the screenshots there in the next ones.

How many gnomes will be needed to carry that machine? :p
Hmm, don't know whats wrong with that, maybe just mdlvis. Anyways some progress:

Orc.png

Did some progress in texturing of the guys. The other will be very similar, but with a bit different build maybe. (one will be the thinker, the other the cauldron carrier that does the heavy work)

The "glove texture" is absolutely placeholder. Maybe I'll put a TC spot there.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 266

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Talking about myself, I would not need additional time.
I agree with Deolrin though. Since there are no submissions yet, extending it once might be a good idea.

New WIP from me.
I changed my plans to a Robo squad heavily inspired by the tinkerer.
The custom tinkerer is missing right now.

154736d1463271152-modeling-contest-29-squad-tinker_preview.png

EDIT:
Second WIP for today.
New WIP screenshot + model.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 8
Talking about myself, I would not need additional time.
I agree with Deolrin though. Since there are no submissions yet, extending it once might be a good idea.

New WIP from me.
I changed my plans to a Robo squad heavily inspired by the tinkerer.
The custom tinkerer is missing right now.

154736d1463271152-modeling-contest-29-squad-tinker_preview.png

EDIT:
Second WIP for today.
New WIP screenshot + model.

attachment.php

Cool WIP! :thumbs_up:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I was kidding; it was a Monty Python joke. Sorry.

A penguin and a shrubbery would be quite unorthodox (one doesn't move or do anything), so I'm sure (unless the shrubbery is actually some kind of plant-beast or something). But you at least have the right idea (2 separate unique individuals, separate meshes & animations, = one model).

Level 50
I think they are ready to be animated, this can be my last wip

Nice job you did with wrapping. I only dislike how you wrapped the shield of that guy, you can do better than that. Try some other texture. You can use as many textures as you want from mpq, just sepparate the geosets in program.

Level 20
Here's 3.6k of tris. Trying to make a rational attempt of a mobile steam engine(even though it's already crazy since steam engines are super heavy, using metals from back then anyway). Expect another half, so perhaps around the same tris? Who knows.

Now, how much filesize would that be hm, hopefully I can make it so that it's worth the size.

And yeah, dwarf x goblin machine, as you can tell, so the partner is a goblin.

2 exhaust, 1 for letting out steam to prevent EXPLOSION? due to pressure, let out by the safety valve in front and the other is for the condenser to let out steam exhaust, so the condenser and the engine itself is built in into the shoulder (or is it only the shoulders? ;3).

And due to the lack of dwarf anatomy(I believe?), let's just say the heart may not be there, so he's not a robot....

So you can see the gas tank is on his right, under his weak fleshy arm, and the boiler itself is on his back. Why isn't the safety valve on the boiler you might ask? Cause he can quickly vent the steam from the boiler, into the engine and release it with the valve, that's why. Pistons are generally covered, inside the engine, so I'll leave them to your imagination.

And honestly, I dislike the current vest, and I can't find a victorian style pattern stuffs in the wc3 textures, so I might change it into leather. Adventurer-ish stuffs ya know, Maybe add some pauldrons to solidify the adventurer image. But would that be too cluttered? Right now he looks like a mess mainly due to the steam engine stuffs? Or rather, when I look at him, its hard to find a resting spot for the eye I suppose, which means he's kinda cluttered and messy.

So there we go, my thoughts.

Anyway, enough info dump, enjoy wip.

Edit: Criticisms would be well appreciated :)

Attachments

• Screen4.jpg
    Screen4.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Level 9
Nice job you did with wrapping. I only dislike how you wrapped the shield of that guy, you can do better than that. Try some other texture. You can use as many textures as you want from mpq, just sepparate the geosets in program.

Thx mate but i'm afraid i wont be able to finish it. I will be moving to the NY City 2 days later and my pc and project files will stay home. Thats why i wasted my whole night yesterday just to hope finishing it and when i was done with rigging, weighting and couple of animations.. the electricity has just gone XD . And in this 2 days i have my finals for the college. So unless there's no miracle pops out.. im missing the second chance of completing a fully working character for wc3 :/

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Thx mate but i'm afraid i wont be able to finish it. I will be moving to the NY City 2 days later and my pc and project files will stay home. Thats why i wasted my whole night yesterday just to hope finishing it and when i was done with rigging, weighting and couple of animations.. the electricity has just gone XD . And in this 2 days i have my finals for the college. So unless there's no miracle pops out.. im missing the second chance of completing a fully working character for wc3 :/
Well, you've gotten far enough I would seriously consider submitting it anyway, man. You won't win, but you'll get some points (and perhaps be surprised at how far you get (check Annelord)).

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Yeah, sure. The link I provided (if you looked for "Annelord") was for a Contest where a friend of mine lost his team-mate (it was a Joint Contest). He had already finished, though, so even though he essentially got a 0 for Art, he submitted and made it to the Top 5 (public voting determined the top 5 who would be Judged).

Level 9
Yeah, sure. The link I provided (if you looked for "Annelord") was for a Contest where a friend of mine lost his team-mate (it was a Joint Contest). He had already finished, though, so even though he essentially got a 0 for Art, he submitted and made it to the Top 5 (public voting determined the top 5 who would be Judged).

Oh! i got this.. Thanks mate i will try it.

Looks great!! And when you'll have the chance to model again? If it isn't much, another extension can be discussed, even because more people might need it too. It would be nice to have your finished entry within the contest. :)

Looks very interesting, a cyborg gnome/dwarf (looks more as a gnome). I'd recommend you to watch the texture resolution conflicts. Some parts of the mesh have too low-res textures compared to the others, which might be too high-res as well. And his partner will be a goblin? That could have a good background story :p

I didn't go to France but to Hospital instead. Hopefully getting home soon to work on my model.
Please do. :)

And I'm back from my travels, so I'll have the chance to model. Expect WIPs and/or final entry in those next two weeks.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
FINALLY got time to contribute. Lovin' all the WIPs flying around.

Here's 3.6k of tris. Trying to make a rational attempt of a mobile steam engine(even though it's already crazy since steam engines are super heavy, using metals from back then anyway). Expect another half, so perhaps around the same tris? Who knows.

Now, how much filesize would that be hm, hopefully I can make it so that it's worth the size.

And yeah, dwarf x goblin machine, as you can tell, so the partner is a goblin.

2 exhaust, 1 for letting out steam to prevent EXPLOSION? due to pressure, let out by the safety valve in front and the other is for the condenser to let out steam exhaust, so the condenser and the engine itself is built in into the shoulder (or is it only the shoulders? ;3).

And due to the lack of dwarf anatomy(I believe?), let's just say the heart may not be there, so he's not a robot....

So you can see the gas tank is on his right, under his weak fleshy arm, and the boiler itself is on his back. Why isn't the safety valve on the boiler you might ask? Cause he can quickly vent the steam from the boiler, into the engine and release it with the valve, that's why. Pistons are generally covered, inside the engine, so I'll leave them to your imagination.

And honestly, I dislike the current vest, and I can't find a victorian style pattern stuffs in the wc3 textures, so I might change it into leather. Adventurer-ish stuffs ya know, Maybe add some pauldrons to solidify the adventurer image. But would that be too cluttered? Right now he looks like a mess mainly due to the steam engine stuffs? Or rather, when I look at him, its hard to find a resting spot for the eye I suppose, which means he's kinda cluttered and messy.

So there we go, my thoughts.

Very interesting! I think it's a great start, but I agree; there's a lot going on with all the mechanical stuff (especially on his arm/side). Consider also he's gonna have a sidekick (Goblin you said? Interesting...), which will help draw some attention from him (i.e. covering for what would otherwise be a worrying lack of detail, i.e. go ahead & simplify him a bunch).
That hair is wiggin' out, man. : )
So what exactly *is* he?

I know you can't get the animations done in time & so are "done", but please (after the Contest, even) get this finalized; looking at it in detail really sells me on just how cool this is. Honestly, this is, like, the #1 thing I was expecting to see out of this Contest, and I think you carried it off quite well.

Did some progress in texturing of the guys. The other will be very similar, but with a bit different build maybe. (one will be the thinker, the other the cauldron carrier that does the heavy work)

The "glove texture" is absolutely placeholder. Maybe I'll put a TC spot there.

This is, perhaps, the other thing I was most expecting out of this Contest (i.e. a cauldron-pushing "potion pair"). I absolutely love the creative application of Faerie Dragon skin. Lookin' forward to the rest.

Hmm, don't know whats wrong with that, maybe just mdlvis. Anyways some progress:

View attachment 154489

Wow. So, I have to admit, the faces on both of them are... Scary beyond all reason. But aside from that glaring issue, the concept is great & the execution solid. : ) Any progress?

attachment.php

My Concept Art is not done yet, But I since I have a very clear idea on how the Ogre Should look like, Here we go :)

After for so long, Finally I modelled something again :p

I admit I copy Tauer Senpai's "Style"

I'm going to try to do my own texture, Im really sick of Wrapping :p
I bake the Ambient Occlusion just because it looks so damn cool XD

Probably Going to wait a while to even have progress, I made this because i was procrastinating on the work that i suppose to do :p

here's some Update on the concept if you wanna see :V
154185d1461591595-hayate-random-art-concept-artogrecannonersquad.png
Really lookin' forward to this, too; quite a creative little combo (at the risk of sounding insincere, this was one of the other things I was expecting out of this Contest (big burly dude using tiny dudes as artillery/ammo); you guys are just fulfilling *all* my dreams! :p)

You couldn't copy a better style. : )

Slight update. I'm super busy so my time is limited. Struggeling with the head though.
Ooh... I don't remember if I already said something, but I rather like this concept of "Orc with duster jacket". It's already quite unique to Warcraft (while still fitting it in style/complexity). Good luck on the hea...
First WIP hehe. Changed my concept.
Curse your indecision! Oh well. This is more obviously a "Squad"; I'm not sure what's going to ride those two, but it's gonna be great, I can tell. : )

~~~

Loads of awexome stuff coming out of this! Please don't give up; you've come far! And anyone else, it's not too late to join!

Level 20
Well as you all know, goblins and gnomes have a friendly competition, but I took that to a whole new level(well not really) and made them partners.

@Happy
I assume you were talking about the texture on the clothes of the gnome, so I changed it somewhat. And I'm done with the goblin as well.

@kyrbi0
They're not sidekicks :)
And hm, I don't really wanna spoil the fun, but it might be fun as to what they are.

And as you all can see, they have a similar machine, with the gnome's machine having more gnome parts while the goblin machine having more goblin parts, but only on the rather unnecessary parts. The important parts, such as the boiler and the engine itself, is fully gnome.

No goblin brain can do that :goblin_boom:

So which part shares a common goblin feature? Look forward to it :) It might not be what you think it is.

And as for what they're gonna be doing, let's just say they're gonna be holding hands....a lot....for a lot of reasons....

Since the attack animation is a physical one, I'll just say that the toned gnome is probably gonna be swinging his little friend around.
And 7.3k tris.

Edit 1: Clarity reasons.

Attachments

• Screen5.jpg
    Screen5.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Well as you all know, goblins and gnomes have a friendly competition, but I took that to a whole new level(well not really) and made them partners.

@Happy
I assume you were talking about the texture on the clothes of the gnome, so I changed it somewhat. And I'm done with the goblin as well.

@kyrbi0
They're not sidekicks :)
And hm, I don't really wanna spoil the fun, but it might be fun as to what they are.

As you can see, they have a similiar machine, with the gnome's machine having more gnome parts while the goblin machine having more goblin parts, but only on the rather unnecessary parts. The important parts, such as the boiler and the engine itself, is fully gnome.

No goblin brain can do that :goblin_boom:

So which part shares a common goblin feature? Look forward to it :) It might not be what you think it is.

And as for what they're gonna be doing, let's just say they're gonna be holding hands....a lot....for a lot of reasons....

Since the attack animation is a physical one, I'll just say that the toned gnome is probably gonna be swinging his little friend around.
Veeeeery interesting. Alright then.

Status
Not open for further replies.