• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #15 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

Shadow_of_the_Colossus_29109.jpg

modeling.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
5.png

results.png

Colossus
Contestants are to make a unit that has the feel of being "colossal".

contest%20judging.png

Dan Van Ohllus
Mesh – 12/15
Well done mesh, good polycount, overall very well done. My only complaint is that something seems wrong with the mouth (and a bit with the face), it seems flat and akward.

Animations – 6/10
Standard Blizzard animations that fit very well with the model, but I can’t really give you much here.

Skin – 8/10
A good custom skin, it even has teamcolor. The wrapping on the back and the arms seems somewhat akward when viewed closer and there is a bit of a stretch which makes the pants look more “high-res” than everything else. It’s nothing major, though.

Mechanics – 5/5
Being big usually means it will move strangely ingame, but I wouldn’t say that with your model. Works fine, and the filesize is good too.

Effects – 2/5
There really isn’t much, and what’s there isn’t exactly amazing. There are ways to make a unit seem huge simply by SFX, like dust clouds at the feet when walking, or dust when it dies and falls to the ground and etc.

Creativity – 4/5
I wouldn’t have thought about it, that’s for sure. It’s original, but it didn’t exactly blow me away, either.

Total – 37/50

HappyCockroach
Mesh – 12/15
I think it could have used a few more details, mostly on the weapons, but otherwise this is a good looking mesh and it certainly *looks* massive. Good job.

Animations – 10/10
Custom animations? Awesome. Not to mention they make the unit look very colossal, especially the way it walks around and attacks. It really looks like it’s supposed to be 10 feet taller than any of its targets.

Skin – 7/10
Good use of ingame textures. Nothing else to add.

Mechanics – 5/5
Small filesize, and to my surprise it actually works pretty well ingame. No akward movements, due to how it’s animated (a tall unit would look strange when changing pitch or roll).

Effects – 4/5
What’s there is good. The dust clouds when walking and during the death make the model look colossal, and the particles are simple but well used.

Creativity – 4/5
Good idea making it Egyptian-themed, and the model is overall very original.

Total – 42/50

Mr. Bob
Mesh – 14/15
Good mesh, no complaints.

Animations – 5/10
Very simple and somewhat disappointing. The animations are either nothing interesting or nonexistent, with the exception of the morph animation which is pretty good.

Skin – 7/10
Standard Blizzard textures, but I didn’t actually know they were ingame until I downloaded it, so that shows how well you used them.

Mechanics – 5/5
The shape means it’ll scale well ingame and the filesize is fair.

Effects – 4/5
It’s good that you actually added effects and the death animation is awesome, but that’s not exactly enough for perfection. If your model is going to be this static, especially when moving or landing, you might as well add some particle work. Personal suggestions: add a dust cloud when the tank lands during the birth animation, and give the cannons some more “punch” by giving them some flash when firing. Otherwise, try making the walk animation more interesting by adding jetfire under the tank and the like.

Creativity – 4/5
Too bad you missed the morph competition, or the robot competition. It’s an original idea done well. Good job.

Total – 40/50

Pyramidhead
Mesh – 14/15
Fantastic work, lots of details and fits well with the theme. My only complain is the polycount, which is high and looks like it would fit in another more recent game.

Animations – 9/10
Again, fantastic work. There are tons of details and it’s all very well done. The walk animation could be a bit smoother and more polished, but otherwise I like it a lot.

Skin – 7/10
Good work, but it could have more contrast and more details. Wc3 doesn’t do shadows, so some parts look too “monotone”. The only real problem here is that it doesn’t look very Warcraft-y. Sure, the texture is well done, but not there’s not much to look at.

Mechanics – 4/5
The big filesize is my only problem.

Effects – 2/5
First off, way too many particles with the smoke emitters. This is the sort of thing you could easily scale down and use certain tricks to make it more efficient (and better looking IMO).
Second, the cannons lack punch, but the attention to detail is there.

Creativity – 5/5
Oh man, the little goblins on the beast, the ladder, the little furnace, the different cannons and the beast itself… very awesome work.

Total – 41/50

tee.dubs
Mesh – 13/15
It’s almost too disgusting. Very well done, especially the mouth, which honestly creeps me the hell out.

Animation – 6/10
Unfortunately this is the model’s weak point. The walk animation is akward, have you looked at other walking “tripods” videos? It might help. Otherwise, the mouth-neck thing is well animated and so is the death animation.

Skin – 6/10
Standard ingame textures, well used.

Mechanics – 4/5
The problem with such a wide model and the fact that it’s a tripod is that when turning the thing looks a bit akward, no matter how slow. Going down a steep hill, this thing is probably not all that good looking either. However, these are a bit nitpicky and the model works fine.

Effects – 3/5
Good use of acid and the like, overall okay in terms of particles.

Creativity – 4/5
I hope you were trying to make this thing “disgustingly awesome”, because it works. Maybe I’ve watched that King Kong scene with the insects too much, though. Oh well, the model is original.

Total – 36/50

Time-to-die

Mesh – 6/15
I’m sorry, but this thing is just… ugly. It looks like you just glued different parts together. It all looks just plain silly.

Animation – 4/10
You know what, at least you made some custom animations. It’s a good thing you tried. However, those too, look silly. The only one I actually liked was the portrait talk animation, where those doors open and close, which I thought was pretty cool despite the house on his head being just plain weird.

Skin – 2/10
I’m not even sure you made these, because it just looks like you took different sample textures and stuck them everywhere. The whole thing lacks contrast, detail and is way too bright.

Mechanics – 4/5
Works fine, I guess. Not much to say.

Effects – 0/5
Well, there weren’t any, and it could have used some, so there really isn’t much to judge here besides the lack of particles.

Creativity – 3/5
Nice idea, poor execution. No offense.

Total – 19/50

Pyramidhe@d
3D Mesh .......... 15/15
Animation ........ 9/10
Texture ........... 9/10
Mechanics ....... 4/5
Special Effects .. 3/5
Creativity ......... 5/5
-------------------------
Total Score ...... 45/50
-Pyramidhe@d has truly outdown himself with this model. Quite frankly, i felt that this model truly exemplified the colossus theme.The creature gives you an exact idea of it's scale by the scaffolding attached to it and the soldiers riding atop it.
-The animations were great but i would have liked to see a bit more movement out of the soldiers in the more basic animations.
-The UV wrap is good, no stretching or smudges that i can see and the custom texture really made this a great looking model, i would have liked to see some teamcolor in it, like say, TC banners or TC armor for the soldiers.
-The ingame mechanics seem to work fine for me.
-The special effects could have used some improvement. the smoke was too "hard" it needed to be softer, fade a bit more, been a bit more "smokey" also the particle saturation was ridiculous, you shouldn't have had the emission rate and lifespan that high.
-Very creative concept and a large amount of detail made this one my favorite and certainly deserving of high marks

Mr.Bob
3D Mesh .......... 13/15
Animation ........ 5/10
Texture ........... 6/10
Mechanics ....... 2/5
Special Effects .. 2/5
Creativity ......... 4/5
Total Score ...... 32/50
-This Model did not feel truly Colossal at first glance until one notices the very inconspicuous and rather vestigial helicopter landing pad that pops out of the back of the tank. I like the shape of the tank, the morphing ball idea is interesting and gives the model character.
-The Morphing animation is well done, nothing is geomerging too severely. I was concerned about the completely static animations for the Stand, stand alternate, walk and walk alternate animations (which end up being about 30% of the animations, and the 30% that are played and repeated the most ingame). But ingame it does not necessarily ruin the model, the addition of movement would add greatly to the quality of the model, but the lack thereof does not detract from it.
-At first glance the texture and UV wrap seem to be acceptable, albeit bland, but upon inspection you can clearly see pieces that are stretched, smudged or completely solid color. And as with Pyramidhe@d's, i would have liked to see more teamcolor on the armor, but i greatly appreciate the teamcolor-glow of the "thrusters", a very nice touch.
-I have found a few quirks with the ingame mechanics, for one, there is no decay animation, so at the end of the death animation, the top of the tank remains above ground and as such, looks like a half-sunken dome is poking it's head out of the ground. And the second is that the default form of the tank has no attack animation, so if it were to attack, all the weapons would pop out, play the attack alternate animation and then slam back together. I realize that this quirk can be fixed rather easily in the Unit editor, but it does make me wonder what the point would be of having the tank in it's "closed" form if it cannot attack.
-Special Effects were lacking, the spurt of fire from the different attacks looked the same no matter what caliber of cannon was firing. and the death animation had no fire at all, just white flashes and smoke. Very disappointing for a 310 particle saturation.
-Concept was sound. Any old tank would have given you a 2, but this tank morphed and was spherical, which made it much more interesting

Dan Van Ohllus
3D Mesh .......... 12/15
Animation ........ 6/10
Texture ........... 7/10
Mechanics ....... 5/5
Special Effects .. 2/5
Creativity ......... 4/5
Total Score ...... 36/50
-I felt that this model too, did not truly feel "colossal", It felt like a large unit, but not quite colossal, i see this model as about the same size as an undead abomination or an ogre. ( in addition to this, you have to greatly scale this model up ingame anyway)
Mechanical units are easy to understand, metal (or the concept of metal) seems solid intentional and calculated, but organic units are sometimes very hard to distinguish. being as we are organic lifeforms and have deeply rooted preconceived notions of proportions and shape, many times anything different can look very strange. with that in mind, i cant quite put my finger on it, but i feel as though the furglewurg is very disproportionate, and not just within the normal cartoon or artistic liscence interpretation of proportionate scale. The cheekbones are jutting out drastically and i easily mistook them for some sort of knob or horn. The hoofed feet seem too large for his legs, almost as if he were wearing elevated Dutch clogging shoes. The face seems flat, almost smashed and without a nose. But seeing as it could have easily been the creator's intention to make it grotesquely disproportionate, i wont mark it down for such an ambiguous reason. I just thought that i would point it out.
-The Animations were basic. The edited and parsed Blizzard animations did not make this model stand out, and i feel that they in fact added to that feeling of "not quite colossal"
-The UV wrap was acceptable. the chest, hands, face, hat, clubs etc came out fine, I am however rather bugged by the large and OBVIOUS seam connecting the shoulder to the torso and the seam connecting the neck to the torso. certain parts of the mesh and texture did not combine symbiotically.
-However, DvO got the ingame mechanics down flat. everything works and looks great ingame, i love the separate portrait model. it really added character to the model.
-Special effects were lacking, only 1 animation with particles (attack slam) and poorly edited in at that.
-Creative, not the MOST original, a beefy brute of a dude without a shirt holding club-like weapons.... but the goofy expression on his face and the almost mario-esq toadstool hat make this an interesting and endearing model to look at

Tee.Dubs
3D Mesh .......... 11/15
Animation ........ 7/10
Texture ........... 6/10
Mechanics ....... 4/5
Special Effects .. 3/5
Creativity ......... 5/5
Total Score ...... 38/50
I felt that this model was rather the underdog of the group, it deserves more attention than it is currently getting.
-The mesh is simple yet interesting. A tripod unit would be very hard to animate and i admire tee.dub's ambition to try to create one. It is certainly the most unique of the 6 entries, a sort of turtle, worm, monster, thing.
-Animations very well done, the extending head/mouth of the monster made it an interesting model to look at and gave it some much needed character other than it just having 3 legs.
-tee.dub's found a very clever use for the ingame mushroom texture, it was creative, if a bit smudged and stretched in some places.
-Mechanics checked out ingame for the most part
-I liked the green slime trailing from it's mouth in the attack and death animations, but i did not see it at all ingame (that, or it wasn't very noticeable)
-But i would have to say that this is the most creative entry.

HappyCockroach
3D Mesh .......... 10/15
Animation ........ 8/10
Texture ........... 8/10
Mechanics ....... 4/5
Special Effects .. 4/5
Creativity ......... 5/5
Total Score ...... 41/50
I liked this model it was well done overall.
-Mesh was a bit lacking. The Arms and chest were just strait-up boxes :/ very angular, and i still cant quite get over the mouth. it is WIDE open and it doesn't move, i finally see the teeth, (those microscopic white smudges on the edge of the mouth) so all you see is a pixelated purple smudge on the inside of the mouth
-Animation was overall very good, it really gave a sense of the colossal nature of the model even if some animations were a bit jerky or stiff. but i really liked the attack animations, how each sword swipe was a separate attack, very nice touch, that looked great ingame
-Texture was actually very creative, i was very impressed at how you managed to make it look like actual ab muscles, the back was a bit messy, but overall a great and creative job on the UV, good choice of textures.
-The model seemed to work fine ingame
-I felt that this model had some of the better special effects of the entries, nice fire and dust when walking. they worked well
-Creativity wise, it was pretty creative, an interesting take on the egyptian god, 4 armed giant jackal monster.

Time-to-Die
3D Mesh .......... 6/15
Animation ........ 6/10
Texture ........... 2/10
Mechanics ....... 4/5
Special Effects .. 0/5
Creativity ......... 3/5
Total Score ...... 21/50
And so we turn to our final entry.... the sea colossus, im not going to beat around the bush about this :/...but this model wont win. Thank you very much Time-to-Die for entering, and i hope that you had fun and got good practice. Maybe you can rework this in the future.
-The Mesh needed work. im not sure exactly what it was intended to look like, but i feel i can say with some certainty that it looked misshaped and our of proportion. The leg segments were oval stones and poorly UV wrapped, I saw a lot of primitives, the basic auto-shapes. I also felt that there were a fairly good amount of useless polies too
-Animation was stiff and awkward
-There were quite a few problems with the textures, 1 being that there were like... 8 SEPARATE TEXTURES, and all of them were just very small CnP clippings of texture which will never work in video games, let alone wc3, and what really got me was... ALL of those textures could have been replaced with ingame textures. MUCH BETTER LOOKING ingame texture. i mean, for christ's sake, you exported and re-uploaded the teamcolor texture :/
-Mechanics overall seemed fine, it works ok in wc3... im just not sure if I'd ever use it
-Special Effects got a 0... because there weren't any
-Creatively speaking... it wasnt that creative in overall concept, COLOSSAL elementals are old hat, the anchor peg leg and ship foot were a nice touch, but overall nothing special
Pyramidhead

Mesh – 14/15
Fantastic work man!! I do not like teeth. The polycount is huge.

Animations – 9/10
Awesome animations.

Skin – 7/10
I can't tell you much about the texture. But the dino skin looks strange.

Mechanics – 4/5
File size :/. Looks great ingame.

Effects – 4/5
Too much particles. Too much particles on the engine clouds and too little on the cannon fire :/

Creativity – 5/5
Very creative. Its the best colossal entry.

Total – 43/50

Mr. Bob

Mesh – 8/15
The mesh looks good but poly counnntt...

Animations – 7/10
The morph looks nice but the rest is too simple.

Skin – 7/10
Nice use of ingame textures :D

Mechanics – 3/5
Big file size. Its just a moving ball.

Effects – 3/5
Few simple particles.

Creativity – 3/5
Looks like an original idea. Its big but it doesn't look colossal to me.

Total – 31/50

Time-to-die

Mesh – 4/15
No comment.

Animation – 5/10
I see you gave your best on the custom animations.

Skin – 2/10
meh.

Mechanics – 2/5
I don't know what to say here.

Effects – 3/5
Few simple effects.

Creativity – 3/5
Its colossal for sure. But why this????

Total – 19/50

HappyCockroach

Mesh – 11/15
The mesh looks good but its too thin.

Animations – 10/10
The animations look nice but he doesn't move his "pelvis".

Skin – 8/10
Nice. Good use of ingame textures. Fix that white part on the back.

Mechanics – 3/5
Portrait seems strange and the head also.

Effects – 4/5
Not all sword ribbons are working. Few simple particles.

Creativity – 4/5
Looks original. Also your model fits into the contest theme.

Total – 40/50

tee.dubs

Mesh – 11/15
The polycount is high. Fearful creature.

Animation – 5/10
The animations are weak. Especially walking.

Skin – 7/10
Good use of ingame textures.

Mechanics – 2/5
Looks awfully ingame. The walk is...

Effects – 2/5
Few simple particles.

Creativity – 3/5
Very creative. But its not for this contest.

Total – 30/50

Mesh: I know you wanted him to be muscular but you could do it with less polygons.
12/15

Animations: Fine use & edits of Blizzard´s animations but the Blizzard animations don't fit to this model.
There are few problems with Attack and Stand ready animations (Look at the clubs).
All animations should be a bit slower especially walk.
I think the custom animations would better fit to this model.
8/10

Skin: His body shines too much. I love his pants and mushroom cap (nice place for the team color).
9/10

Mechanics: Works well ingame. The file size is ok.
4/5

Effects: It has all needed effects.
4/5 points

Creativity: I love the concept. Your model fits into the contest theme.
5/5

Total – 42/50

(((WILL THE ALMIGHTY's judging) + (anarchianbedlam's judging) + (skrab's judging)) / 2.5) + ((votes / total votes) * 40) = Final score

Dan van Ohllus: ((37 + 36 + 42) / 2.5) + ((21 / 223) * 40) = 49.7668161
HappyCockroach: ((42 + 41 + 40) / 2.5) + ((69 / 223) * 40) = 61.5766816
Mr. Bob: ((40 + 32 + 31) / 2.5) + ((34 / 223) * 40) = 47.2986547
Pyramidhe@d: ((41 + 45 + 43) / 2.5) + ((88 / 223) * 40) = 67.3847534
tee.dubs: ((36 + 38 + 30) / 2.5) + ((6 / 223) * 40) = 42.6762332
Time-to-die: ((19 + 21 + 19) / 2.5) + ((5 / 223) * 40) = 24.496861

modeling%2015%20winners.png

Poll | Contest

Level 11
Congratulation to all.
Awesome models.
Aldo to be honest, its not a big surprise that Piramidhe@d won.

Last edited:
Level 12
Seems fun. I haven't worked on warcraft models in a looooong time, but I might jump on the next one, just for the fun of it. How long between these contests usually?

And of course, congratulations and well dones to all who participated. Way to go for the top three modelers and good job for at least giving it your all to those that didn't win. It takes a lot of guts to put up something creative and have people vote on it in competition.

Level 35
Congratulation to the winners, though it was a shame that there ain't a disgusting category as well, because then tee.dubs would have won for sure, he really managed to pull off the feeling of creepy.

A note: In skrab's review the name for the last judgment is missing. It should of course be Dan Van Ohllus. But you might want to add it for those that can't figure it out :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.