• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MMORPG Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
If you've ever played alot of MMORPG's you should know that most of them have something incommmon; the leveling system. You gain experience, you gain a level and you recieve upgrades. This is all fine and dandy considering in real life when you gain experience usually you learn and become better. But what has me confused is that the upgrades make such a big deal.

From my own experience, having played World of Warcraft, Tibia, Priston Tale, Runescape and Star Wars: The Old Republic, I can pretty much say that it is IMPOSSIBLE for a player at the lowest level to kill a player at the highest level. Not because of the skills acquired from playing alot. But simply because of the fact that the highest level has SO much health or they dodge basically EVERY attack that the low-lvl makes that it's comparable to a fly trying to kill a human.

So here's my idea:
A game where the difference between highest & lowest level is more like a proffesional boxer up against a newbie. So rather than having the game focus on levels & items the idea is to bring out the skills.

But I'm concerned if others would think such a game is fun to play.
Would you play this game? Yes/No? Why would you/Why wouldn't you?

Any and all feedback would make me more than happy.

Kudos
/ Yoafu

Last edited:
Level 3
Your right, you really cant kill a high leveled character as low level but thats just realistic.

a newborn child cant beat his/her dad.

also whats they point getting the "best" items an the highest level when you can be owned by a level 1
Thanks for your response! :smile: While I can see where you're comming from I don't entirely agree.

I know, that has a point.
But I want to keep in mind that these characters aren't newborn and might actually be able to beat the high leveled with tactical advantages.

Lets say a pro boxer is up against a newbie. Pro boxer wins, unless the newbie takes up a gun. Then the newbie might win, just that the pro has had experience being faced with guns before so he's still able to disarm the newbie.

There's a point, but a minor one. I want to move the main focus from both best items & higher levels and let other factors come into play (factors which I haven't given much thought, yet) but still have lvl & items be minorly decisive granted that both players are equally skilled.

I remember for example raiding in WoW. It became hellish work if you had to grind a raid for the right items to drop just to make you good enough to enter another raid. Since I love raids I'm fine with it but it also deters the reason for playing the raid. Rather than having fun beating up the cool boss it was about getting the item. (And flaming others if they won it)

Level 11
I think that seeing your hero grow stronger throughout the game is part of the charm. If you just become slightly stronger through levels and items it would feel boring. Also grinding and stuff, if you are skilled enough, you could go to last area and level really fast or maybe even do the final dungeons.

Imo levels should matter, but you could make end-game items make heroes grow only slightly stronger so à newly maxed level hero could with skill beat à good geared Max level hero.

Level 5
Would you play this game? Yes/No?
Well yes and no, because of course if its a good it dosent matter how the levels skills are

Why wouldn't you?
I would not because I fell like that i have to be better (Since i played longer, used more time and would feel beittled if i lost to one that only played lets say 3 days, and i maybe used 9 days of my time..then there is no reason to use time on it. :)

BUT it is sure a good idea IF it can be in properly balance.

Level 5
Was actually working on a PvP focussed ORPG with heavy action elements like aiming projectiles, shielding at the right time, and small level differences to make it more skill-based and give a chance for new players to beat more experienced players if they are skilled enough.

In the end, working alone, I decided it's not going to be much of an ORPG. Instead, players will be able to buy new spells as they level up. The new spells will be just as powerful as the starter spells, but will add customization and play style options for players, as well as an incentive to keep playing.
Because there will be no quests, I've also decided to add 4 game modes to my map/

Level 31
Here's how you do it...

Rather than giving more stats and what not, give more options and tools for combat. A beginner might have 3 tools at their disposal, making combat easy. A master might have 50 tools at their disposal, making combat very difficult.

As the player progresses, more of their character unlocks, giving them more options and raising how skillful they can be with their character. A noob player with a master character will end up being a button mashing noob and will die either way. They will certainly get the bonus for having all of those options, but they'll still get destroyed by a pro and will even have a semi difficult time against intermediate players with their appropriate characters.

This is essentially how I did my difficulties in Tower Wars and my philosophy for general player progression : ).

Master vs Beginner both with noob characters:
Master wins, but has a difficult time as their options are severely limited. They are capped to around the noob's level.

Master vs Beginner with master characters:
Master destroys noob

Master vs Master on noob characters:
Tie no matter what : |

Master vs Master on master characters:
The one with slightly greater skills wins

Status
Not open for further replies.