• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Idea! Awesome or sh*t?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hi,

I have this map idea for an areana map and would like to know what you think about it or how to improve the idea. Basically you pick one of a series of heroes. Levels are limited to a single life and grant minimal bonusses. Apon death you get a new hero and start at level 1 but maintain all items. Gold can be used for upgrades which permenantly improves your skills/hero and those of your future heroes. Combat will be mainly focusses on the ability to dogde and most abilities can be dodged. All heroes will have a projectile skill (wich shoots something) and a movement skill (to dodge abilities or anything else to do with movement).

Some more information:

Heroes:

>All heroes have 3 skills

The first skills is a projectile skill wich moves in a direction. The skills of most heroes will have physics in X and Y axes causing them to bounce off walls etc. Most projectile abilities also knockback units

The second skills is a movement based skill wich moves the hero in some way. Mainly used for dodging...

The third is a misc skill which is differant from hero to hero.

When killed you lose experiance and posibly levels

When you kill another hero you gain a level granting you minor bonusses. (Cause all stats to increase and thus grant life/mana/atks/ms/life regen/mana regen)

Heroes so far

Assassin:
Projectile Skill: Throwing Knife
125 damage. 1000 ms. 64 collision size. Deals x2 damage when striking a unit from behind.
Movement Skill: Blink
Teleport to target location
Misc Skill: Lightning Sentry.
Creates a lightning senty trap which shoots bolts of lightning to nearby enemies. Each bolt deals 1-50 damage.

Nerubian Sage:
Projectile Skill: Dimensional Bolt
150 damage. 600 ms. Knockbacks. 96 Collision size. Bounces off walls
Movement Skill: Dimensional Travel
Teleport to the posion of your last fired dimensional bolt
Misc Skill: Rift
Deals 150 damage to all units within 250 instantly.

Upgrades

Upgrades currently include: (each can be upgraded to level 10)

Empower: All abilities deal 10% more damage
Focus: Improve the knockback duration + distance of all skills by 10%
Maximize: Increase the collision size and AOE of all skills by 10%
Rebound: Reduces the speed reduction of skills that can bounce and cause them to have an increased chance to bounce. Beyond level 5 missiles actually go faster with each bounce.
Quicken: Improve the movementspeed of all projectile skills by 10%
Meditation: Grants the hero an improved mana regen
Toughness: Grants the hero an improved life regen
Endurance: Grants the hero an improved movementspeed

Items

The items would then also have a few scrolls granting spells but having limited charges examples:

Scroll of Flame Bolt (Fires a bolt of fire, dealing damage in a small aoe)
Scroll of Ice Shard (Fires a very fast cold shard dealing very little damage, but dramaticly slowing target for a shot duration)
Scroll of Fog Cloud (Creates a cloud of fog which cause all units inside to gain invisibility (enemies also))
Scroll of Flame Wrath (Cause all projectile skills to create a trail of fire behind them for a short duration)
Scroll of Frostbite (Cause all projectile skills to slow targets for a shot duration)
Scroll of Blade Shied (Creates a shield of blades around the caster, dealing a very large amount of damage to units nearby)

There will also be a series of items granting orb effects for projectiles. Some exampels:

Staff of Healing: All projectiles heal 50% of their damage that they normally deal when they hit an ally.

Staff of Fire: All projectiles light enemies, taking damage per second.

Staff of Posion: All projectiles poison enemies reducing their strenght and armor and causing them to be unable to heal life untill the duration has passed.

Staff of Blasting: Improves the knockback duration of all spells by 40%.

Holy Avenger: Improves the damage of all spells by 20% and cause all projectiles to damage nearby units.

Darksteel Shield: Grants a 25% chance to reflect abilities.

So what do you think?

Last edited:
Level 7
Sounds like a cool game, but I think each hero should have a third misc. spell. How long would the game last? Would there be a time limit? Also, do upgrades carry on when you die?

Level 8
I though that upgrades should be maintained to your next life. The idea of it was a very fast pased game so I would think it would last 10 to 20 minutes. I would make a dialog where you select the amount of kills for one team needed to win which would effect the game duration.

Third misc spell is a good idea since misc it would add some more flair to the hero.

Level 3
I though that upgrades should be maintained to your next life. The idea of it was a very fast pased game so I would think it would last 10 to 20 minutes. I would make a dialog where you select the amount of kills for one team needed to win which would effect the game duration.

Third misc spell is a good idea since misc it would add some more flair to the hero.

sounds good but one thing i dont like is the geting a new hero part

Level 8
sounds good but one thing i dont like is the geting a new hero part

What do you think about the losing levels/experiance apon dieing then?

I added that part since I though it would be interesting if you could change your hero ingame.

Also I had this idea: Upgrades require Souls (lumber) which is gained by killing heroes.

(Added my 2 new heroes to my idea above. I deleted my old heroes.)

Level 2
What if you could "evolve" your hero to a stronger form instead? And if you do include that, then maybe you need to use lumber to become the new hero (as well as upgrading with upgrades that carry over to evolved heroes?). When you die, you lose some of the lumber gained, making it harder to evolve or upgrade. Your "souls" idea is a good one, and that on top of your environmental-interacting projectiles, I think this map would be pretty unique.

The only thing I strongly suggest is that you DO NOT make heroes start over from level 1 again when they die. That's what causes people to give up and leave, regardless if they keep their items or not. Levels are usually the hardest elements to work for in games, as well as the most rewarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.