• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Whole new ORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
i've played most of ORPG maps, and one thing i dislike ..
is the abilities.
any of jobs in most ORPGs has a static abilities which can't be changed.

here's my idea:
for an example, there are "blademaster" job and "assasin" job.
the blademaster owns a "blade combo" ability which is : increases damage dealt by 10% for each succesful hit.
but a blademaster's attack speed is very low.
and assasin owns a job "swift hand" ability which is : increases attack speed by 100%.
but an assasin's damage is very low.

so, how if we combine "blade combo" ability with "swift hand" ability while your character is in defender class ?
deals a lot of damage with a great attack speed, and an impenetrable armor.

there are 2 levels for your character, your character level and your job level.
character level will increase attribute point, while job level will increase the job's skill point that can be used to learn new abilities.

there has to be variety of abilities from each job, you can freely change your job when you met the job's requirement.
i.e to gain defender class, you have to gain level 50 knight and level 50 warrior.

also you can freely select your skillset if you have mastered them.so each player will have to mastered all the jobs to gain a fully potent character.
if you bored enough with the current skillset, you can try a new skillset !

btw, i've got inspiration from Final Fantasy Tactics which i've played it couple days ago.
i miss those old style RPGs :D

Level 4
I'm sure the Final Fantasy Tactics job system would be great for an ORPG. It'll take a lot of work to create a whole new and unique job system from scrap though. Did you have a lot of different job ideas and combinations already?

Level 9
I'm sure the Final Fantasy Tactics job system would be great for an ORPG. It'll take a lot of work to create a whole new and unique job system from scrap though. Did you have a lot of different job ideas and combinations already?

yes i did.

these are the examples of jobs:
Beginner = A character that has no abilities :D
swordsman, mage, thief, chemist, knight, archer, cleric = level 10 beginner
blademaster = level 35 swordsman
arcane warrior = level 20 swordsman, level 15 mage
wizard = level 35 mage
summoner = level 20 mage, level 15 chemist
assassin = level 35 thief
trickster = level 20 thief, level 15 archer
blacksmith = level 35 chemist
engineer = level 20 chemist, level 15 thief
defender = level 35 knight
berserker = level 20 knight, level 15 swordsman
marksman = level 35 archer
musketeer = level 20 archer, level 15 knight
priest = level 50 cleric

First, a "trickster" which is the second job from thief.
it has "throw" ability which throw items in your inventory, the damage based on magic and the value of that item.
when u combine "throw" ability with a "magic attack up" from wizard, it deals a lot of damage, and also if you add "blade combo", the damage will be multiplied, long range + multiplied damage ? what else ?? :D

second, a defender has "vitality rage" ability which is deals damage based on your current hp(active)
an arcane warrior has a buff spell that increasing his maximum hp.
so the damage will very devastating when you use your "vitality rage"

third, assassin uses a dual weapons, and has the greatest agility, marksman has an ability that increase critical damage based on his agility, if you use assassin, he will attack twice and so the critical chance.

fourth, blacksmith's ability is very essential to any character, he can create and upgrade weapons with some resources requirement.

fifth, summoner can summon creatures, and priest has the most of aura abilities, so if you use a priest as your job and summoning abilities, your sumoned unit will be more powerful

sixth, why is there only one class upgrade for cleric ? because priest's skills is the most essential, his skills are often buffs and aura. with one heal ability and damage ability, however, cleric is the most weak job.

maybe i will add some more if rainbow come to visit my brain :D

Level 4
Hmm, the priest/cleric classes might be a bit boring already if all they do is provide healing, but especially if there's only two tiers. Maybe one could provide auras and a minor damaging ability, the second tier provides direct healing abilities (and maybe something that smites undead there's going to be any) and buffs, and the third tier has large aoe restorative skills and a bit more powerful direct offensive skills.

It could go something like:
Priest> Cleric> Bishop

I'm pretty sure priests are lower ranking in churches than clerics.

What are you planning on having engineers do? Well other than the beginner jobs being almost identical to FFT, your job list seems pretty cool. I hope this (or something like it) gets completed. We could definitely use more FFT-style RPGs around here :razz:

Level 9
oh yeah ...

here are some new info:
usualy, if you play ORPG map and your hero has a maximum level, you'll get boring and quit.
not in this map, this map include a "clan war system" which is you can war with other clan to maximum of 6 vs 6
the battle will use a timer instead of die-remove, the winner is the clan with the most kills.
when your hero died, he will instantly revive at your base and start fighting again !

for cleric(yeah, cleric higher than priest :D), it has "holy hammers", which will deals damage at a large area around it and stunning the picked unit for 5 seconds. IMBA isn't it ?, here's your solution !, a defender has "reflection" ability which reflect any negative buffs to any enemy units around him when he takes more than 500 damage, so, when the cleric cast his godlike spell, he's the one who will be stunned, not your character. after he stunned, rip him off !!! :D, however, if you're fighting against pure DPS job (such as Assasin, trickster, blademaster, musketeer), reflection will not be used since they're not using any negative buff skill.

for engineer, you can create a "sentry gun", this sentry gun will cause chaos to your enemies, however, it's cost resources alot, such as iron ore, oil, etc.
also if your sentry gun destroyed, it is destroyed permanently, be careful when you place your sentry gun, also an engineer can create a "mecha dog" that will helps you fight !, similar to summoner but summoner has more variety of elements, while "mecha dog's" element is none.

an assasin has a stealth ability which makes u permanently invisible, and NO JOB has true sight ability, your solution is to learn the engineer's "bionic eye" ability which will increase your sight range and gives you true sight.

for a musketeer, it has the longest attack range of all, however, a musketeer sight range is lower than his attack range, you have to have allies in front of you when you want to gain a fully range, but you can trick this by gaining the engineer's bionic eye ability, guess what ? you have a same value of attack range and sight range, also you have a true sight !

the point is, when you're in clan war, you have to know your enemy's skillset, counter them with the proper skillset, and glory shall be yours :D

PS:i don't know if i could make this map anyway ..... :D

Level 4
PS:i don't know if i could make this map anyway ..... :D
Wouldn't hurt to try at least. Plus you're getting the idea out there. So if you decide not to make it or get too overwhelmed with everything, someone else can have the chance to take over.

And nice, engineer is sounding like a very interesting class to play as. But any other class alone would be useless against an assassin without going the engineer route. Maybe an assassin has a chance to be detected if they pass by a unit/hero of equal or higher level than them?

Level 5
There are two reasons why such an ORPG has not been successfully created.

1)Balance issues. The amount of skills derived from that kind of job system will greatly exceed the normal, and the skills will be very hard to balance between all the classes.

2)Lore wise, it's illogical. It is completely silly to allow a characrer to become proficient in all jobs to become a master of all trades. A master swordsman, gun wielding spell caster who can lift a boulder with his bare hands and survive tremendous damage? There's a reason why most ORPG's have linear classes and only sometimes a second professoon - it's to avoid allowing a player to merge certain classes to create an Omniclass.

Level 6
Thats funny. I posted a FantasyCraft: Ivalice Arena thread in the 'Idea Factory' and it has the same idea. :O

I already started the map and have a selection process and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.