• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini Modeling Contest #4 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

mini-.png
modeling.png
contest.png
number.png
4.png

results.png

Mordor.png

Contest Theme: Towers

Contestants were to create a "tower" building model - something that could act as a "tower" ingame

Mesh: 11/15
The mesh looks good, I like how both elements mash up. Although I believe that the detail level is bit too high, for instance, the main tower's details which aren't much necessary. Many hidden/internal faces are there, their deletion could have saved your big polycount.

Animations: 3/10
The animations are lacking a lot. Just some linear movement up and down as birth and death. You have a lot of towers... birth and death could be cumulative, at least.

Skin: 8/10
Nice usage of the cathedral texture and the replaceable cliff, but there are many places where the resolution conflict is big.

Mechanics: 2/5
Looks kinda noobish in-game. Applies quite badly to some cliff textures, the distance from where the game is viewed don't make possible look at the texture details, only the plain parts, and the poor animations are disappointing. Lack of team color is a problem to its functionality, too.

Effects: 4/5
The particles seem to suffice. There was place to more stuff though, like ribbons around the eye, an omnilight up there, and some wooden plank particles too. (btw nice node names, lol.)

Creativity: 4/5
It's a bit too tied up to its reference, but the execution is creative, mainly the wrap.

Overall rating: 32/50

Mesh: 9/15
Looks ok. Very low-poly. Just needs some more alignement and sense, like the gem crossing over just 2 of the spikes, but whatever.

Animations: 7/10
Good looking stand and attack, attack mainly. I don't like the death and birth though. It should disappear after dying, too.

Skin: 4/10
Some parts are okay, but that base looks totally nonsense and the edges are sudden.

Mechanics: 3/5
Despite the death, it works pretty good in-game, specially attacking. But again we have a model with no teamcolor whatsoever.

Effects: 5/5
Those particles go very well there, even with the particle count being low, what's awesome. The tinted crystals are nice too.

Creativity: 3/5
It's concept is original, but not totally in the good way of it, because it's pretty random.

Overall rating: 31/50

Mesh: 13/15
The mesh is really well done. Polycount is reasonable and it looks good overall, I just don't like those 8 paw-like thingies. They break the flow a little bit.

Animations: 10/10
Perfect.

Skin: 7/10
The wrap is awesomely done, but I don't like some childish choices of texture, mainly on the tower itself, cos if it was the demon only, it would be 11/10.

Mechanics: 4/5
Performs well in-game, I just don't like the fact that it takes up much more space above than below and death doesn't work as nice as it seems.

All effects placed correctly. Nevertheless, the particle count is too high and the birth particles aren't looking good.

Creativity: 5/5
It's a creative one.

Overall rating: 43/50

Mesh: 8/15
It looks too skinny and stretched... some parts could have a bit more poly love, but it looks good.

They're crazy and awesome.

Skin: 5/10
The different textures don't fit very well together, and the wrap isn't very anatomically right.

Works perfectly in-game, but it has no teamcolor and I'm gonna discount you a little bit here for not fulfilling most of the tower purposes. (As a summonable tower to an ability it could work fine, even with no teamcolor)

I like your particles and sounds.

It is creative, but the model has conceptual problems as a tower.

Overall rating: 35/50

Mesh: 14/15
The mesh is beautiful, but there are many hidden faces that aren't ever going to be saw that could be deleted to lower the polycount.

Animations: 5/10
The only 'animation' I see there is the Birth one. I mean, you could have that lamps shaking, or those flags swinging with the wind, or glow planes scaling up and down on the lamps...

Skin: 10/10
Perfect.

Lacks motion, sprite attachments and a teamcolor.

I'm gonna count that wooden structure (most visible at birth anim) as a marvelous effect. The particles are high at count but good-looking. And there's a couple of sounds.

Although it's a pretty conventional tower the details show creative effort. The burrow below it, the creative appliance of texture, etc.

Overall rating: 42/50

Mesh: 3/15
To begin with it, it's facing backwards. It's mainly a geomerge, and rating the geomerge itself, it's senseless, badly resolved and random.

Animations: 0/10
Don't try importing this. All bugged and full of critical errors. I don't even know how did you manage to have these bugs, as towers attaching to random units where the mouse goes over. I'd rate you negatively since an animation-less model would be better, but there's no need to.

Skin: 2/10
The parts which you changed the skin look really bad, looks as if you didn't even change the wrap, only what's acceptable is what's unchanged.

Mechanics: 0/5
Simply doesn't work in-game.

Nice Scout Tower effects...

Creativity: 2/5
Randomness isn't creativity and creativity isn't randomness.

Overall rating: 11/50

Mesh: 15/15
The gem of the contest. Looks fantastic.

I love the animations. They run so smoothly and value the model.

Lovely custom skin. Applies so well to the teamcolor...

Mechanics: 5/5
Works perfectly in-game. Sprite attachments for damage fire, outstanding teamcolor and clear animations.

I'm not very fond of the particles in comparison to the rest of the model, but the effects overall, counting the glow around the globally animated crystals and the sound are pretty cool.

Creativity: 6/5
This is utterly creative.

Overall rating: 50/50

Fairly good.

Animations: 7/10
The animations are well-made, but you could've used global anims to do it, so it wouldn't loop badly in-game sometimes.

Looks boring to me, but it's wrapped correctly.

Lacks building attachment points, pollutes the air with a shitload of ribbons and animations don't loop very nicely in-game, but has a nice team color.

Effects: 3/5
It's too crowded with ribbons that don't make sense there, you could have aligned the ribbons with the little towers, it would look much better. But death effects are nice.

The base concept is a bit predictable and not very original but the execution is quite creative.

Overall rating: 30/50

Mesh: 12/15
Looks quite too bulky above, but it's nicely done and very low-poly.

Animations: 8/10
That birth and death look very nice, and the element orbs are well animated too.

Awesome texture choice and good wrap.

Works well in-game, but it could have building sprite attachments.

Nice additive layer fading in and out. And the orbs are very nice too.

The base concept isn't the most creative thing ever but the execution, the texture wrap and the idea of making a tower that can be attached stuff like this are awesome.

Overall rating: 44/50

Mesh: 15/15
Very nice.

Animations: 9/10
Perfect animations. I just wish attack was more noticeable.

Skin: 9/10
Awesome skin and wrap, I just don't like that plain teamcolor much.

Works well in-game.

It's too crowded with additive particles, but the effects are nice.

Creative concept creatively executed.

Overall rating: 47/50

chilla_killa - Alien Tower

There isn't much I can comment on the mesh. It's simple, yet quite effective for a tower. However, you're missing the base (explained further in the Mechanics part) which is a huge no.

Animation: 5/10
Stand and attack animations are fine. What bothers me are the birth and death animations. Death animation is a bit too sudden and too fast and there is no death sound and there is no decay, it just stays there. Birth has a flaw where the spinning part actually clips through the rest of the model, which is unacceptable.

You used the Blizz skins fairly well. The base is a bit plain and there are some distortions on the circle wrap near the base.

Mechanics: 3.5/5
It fits the world nicely, especially the Black Temple tileset, but there is a flaw which I noticed in many entries. You're missing a deep base. If you build the tower on uneven terrain, it'll look like this:

17byvl.png

Also, no team color.

You could've used a bit more flavoring with the particles. Otherwise, good usage.

Overall, it's not that bad. You could've added something more. Nothing much I can say.

Total: 34.5/50

--------------------------------------------------

Pyramidhe@d - Amethyst Tower

The mesh is downright amazing, though it suffers from the 'floating tower' syndrome as well when built on uneven terrain.

Animation: 7/10

You could've added more movement during the stand and attack animations. Since it emerges from the ground, dust particles wouldn't have hurt. The blade movement is great though!

The skin is somewhat blurry and not very contrasted. Could've used more work.

I'd probably say that the model can be used in many situations, but most notably as an undead tower or sorts, as the color scheme complements other undead buildings.

Effects: 2/5
Not many effects. A shame. It could've been an amazing model.

I can say that this is quite good looking. Lacking particles ruined the overall opinion.

Total: 38/50

The Silent - Tesla Tower

Okay, that one kickass mesh! You put a lot of detail in it. This is the first entry to have a deeper base, but it's not actually deep enough. Also, the team color on the shell is bothering me a bit. It's too plain.

Animation: 8/10
The birth animation is simply amazing. The death animation is has a slight bug - a small particle is left behind. The stand animations could've used some more movement.

The usage of Blizzard skins on this model is amazing. Nothing else to say.

I find that it fits the game quite nicely, though probably not the actual Warcraft setting.

You used particles extensively, but the white fog during the Birth animation is honestly an overkill. Also, the weak particle on the death animation bothers me too much.

It's a great model, albeit slightly flawed. More flair couldn't have hurt though.

Total: 42/50

anarchianbedlam - Barad-Dür

Mesh: 5/15
The mesh is quite messy. You just racked up primitives and modified them without cleaning anything up. Also, it's too small when sized to 1.0. It's smaller than the Scout Tower. A shame. On the bright side, it's detailed.

Animation: 3/10

The animations couldn't get any simpler.

Skin: 4/10
Some parts are highly detailed, others are blurry and stretched. That rock texture doesn't fit the model at all, and when you zoom in, it's just too blurry.

The only thing that actually fits the game is the rock. No team color whatsoever.

At least you used effects where they were appropriate.

Creativity: 0/5
It's just a LotR model.

Total: 17/50

Mr. Bob - Cannon Tower

I was absolutely stunned the first time I saw this model. Even though it's a bit high poly, it's amazing. Alas, one thing prevents me from scoring you max on the mesh, and that is the Floating Tower syndrome.

The animation work is great. Nothing much to say. The stuff that bothers me is that you simply made the tower descend during death and that the tower is too stationary during stand - no flag movement, etc.

Skin: 9/10
Wicked use of in-game textures, especially the terrain-changing cliffs. No team color though, you could've improvised.

Fitting the world completely. Floating tower syndrome prevents me from giving it max score.

Used right where it was neccessary. Nothing else to comment on

A slightly flawed piece of art. Nothing else to say.

Total: 45/50

Revilo - Crystal Tower

The mesh is quite plain. A bit of extra detail couldn't have hurt. Floating tower syndrome.

Animation: 9/10

Now, this is the first tower which doesn't simply descent into the ground, but collapses. There's a slight problem with the decay animation, which is too fast.

The tower body is really plain. A disappointment to be honest.

Technically it fits the world, but the plain texture makes it stand out a bit, and it's really bad.

Effects: 5+/5
Your use of effects was absolutely stunning. I can give only kudos.

A nifty model you made. The effects left quite an impression.

Total: 37/50

JustSpectating - Zombie Tower

Mesh: 8/15
Okay, that mesh is really simple. More detail could've been better.

The animations are fluid and are definitely fitting a rooted zombie. Some additional stand animations would've been great!

You used the right textures, but the head and the body somehow don't match. No team color though.

It could be used as an undead tower of some sort, or a spawn. Might be useful

The bleeding effects were carefully placed. Kudos.

I have to say that this is the weirdest tower I've ever seen, but it's damn original!

Total: 35/50

Dan van Ohllus - Tower of Succorbenoth

This is the only model that has a proper underground base. I salute you. The only thing that bothers me is that the tower seems a bit too thin to support the demon.

Again, the sinking death animation bothers me. You could've made the demon explode or something.

The usage of in-game textures, especially on the demon, is amazing.

It can definitely be used as a tower or a boss in Warcraft, probably the Black Citadel tileset.

Effects were used extensively and they really add much to the overall look of the model.

A demon shooting stuff from a tower seems like a good idea to me.

Total: 47/50

-Peper- - Dragon Tower

Mesh: 3/15
It's bad, really bad. You simply slapped dragon heads and wings on a Scout tower.

Animation: 5/10
Blizzard animations were used. Absolutely no movement during stand animation

The dragon heads are fine. The tower is terrible. You need to work on your wrapping skills.

Mechanics: 0/5

You have a major bug. The tower floats around. Unacceptable.
iw4qk1.png

25zkz5s.png

Effects: 2/5
Blizzard effects used in conjunction with animations. No additional modifications.

Creativity: 1/5

I mean, come on - you just geomerged dragon heads and warped the scout tower skin. You could've done better.

Total: 16/50

shamanyouranus - Element Tower

The mesh is rather simple, but effective. Floating tower syndrome.

Animation: 7/10

A fine way to construct the towers, but I guess that physical workers are of no good for that.

I like how you used the in-game textures. Good job.

It fits within the world perfectly. Floating tower syndrome prevents me from giving it max points.

The fade in and fade out effects are great, though more flavor effects could've been nice.

This is basically an 'attach-your-projectile' type of tower. Even though the tower itself remains the same, you can attach different power sources, so to speak.

Total: 41/50

HappyCockroach's judging + l0w_kwaliti's judging = Total

anarchianbedlam: 32 + 17 = 49
chilla_killa: 31 + 34.5 = 65.5
Dan van Ohllus: 43 + 47 = 90
JustSpectating: 35 + 35 = 70
Mr.Bob: 42 + 45 = 87
-Peper-: 11 + 16 = 27
Pyramidhe@d: 50 + 38 = 88
Revilo: 30 + 37 = 67
shamanyouranus: 44 + 41 = 85
The Silent: 47 + 42 = 89