• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #16 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

tiananmen-square-tank1-18081.jpg

modeling.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
6.png

results.png

Contest Theme: Tanks

Contestants made an armored, ground based, mechanical unit that would logically be considered a "TANK". This vehicle would be used in front line combat.

contest%20judging.png

Ikillforeyou - Goblin Super heavy tank Revilgaz

Mesh: 10/15
Nothing amazing, doesn't look very bulky for a "Super Heavy Tank" and overall generic.

Animations: 6/10
Looks fine, nothing amazing, but at least it's not your usual Steam Tank animations.

Skin: 6/10
Usual tank skin, I really can't give more points for this.

Mechanics: 4/5
Works ingame, encountered no problems.

Effects: 2/5
Not much to comment, what little is present is at least used rather well.

Creativity: 2/5
Your average tank.

30/50

===================================================================================

Fan - Nightsaber Tank

Mesh: 9/15
Looks awkward. I can't actually tell what the purpose of the machine is, it has no turret or guns, so the wheels are its only weapon, I suppose? There's smoke coming out of nonexistent pipes, some weird lightning linking two wheels together... Overall it just looks strange and incomplete.

Standard Blizzard animations.

At least the skin makes it look different from other generic goblin tanks, but it still doesn't feel like the right texture for it. Part of the problem is the mesh.

There isn't much here, and it definitely doesn't look great. Especially the floating smoke columns.

Creativity: 3/5
You tried something different, that's about all I can give you.

30/50

===================================================================================

Mr. Bob - Mrs. Bob

I like how it looks like a mini tank, and the mesh is overall well done. What I can't get over with is the tracks - they look weak, fragile and ridiculously low poly.

Animations: 3/10
I have to take some points off here because you used a quick and dirty trick. I can see those planes below the tank. Of course, on nearly all terrain this would look fine, but whenever it would cross a bridge the damn thing will just look silly. Not to mention it's much, much easier to use geoset animations.

Skin: 8/10
Very nice texture and a nice change from the goblin robot texture most tanks use.

Mechanics: 3/5
Just taking a point off for the weird planes again. Otherwise it works fine.

Effects: 3/5
Nice death effect. Not much else to say though.

I like how compact it looks, otherwise it's not all that creative.

30/50

Chika_Killa - Demon Tank

Mesh: 8/15
The mesh has a style at least, but the execution seems rather poor. The spikes end up looking cheap and everything seems square.

Animations: 5/10
Massive recoil there, the sort of recoil that just looks ridiculous ingame. Otherwise it's all very basic.

Skin: 3/10
I have no idea what you were trying to do. The skin simply looks weird, like you never got around to actually wrapping it. It's random, it's stretched and ultimately looks bad.

The good news is you included some in the right places. The bad news is they feel a bit cheap.

It's original at least, nothing generic here.

25/50

Debode - Infernal Behemoth

Mesh: 12/15
Now this, is a cool looking tank. Very well done and not excessively detailed.

Animations: 7/10
They do the job, and they're custom animations. They're a bit too simple though.

Standard Blizzard skin, well used.

Effects 3/5
At first it looked like you barely had any, but the death animation has a rather nice effect.

Burning legion tank... someone had to do it! It's creative enough.

35/50

General Frank - Ursa Major

Mesh: 15/15
This shouldn't come as a surprise. The tank is pure badass and extremely detailed. It doesn't abuse polygons as much as I thought, too! Fantastic work as always, Frank.

Animations: 9/10
They're custom animations and all nicely detailed, but what I especially liked is how many variations there are. This can be very useful if you know how to use it.

Skin: 7/10
Standard Blizzard skin, also generic goblin tank skin, but it's used very well.

Mechanics: 5/5
The abundance of extra animations give this a great advantage in terms of mechanics.

I won't lie, this is probably the only part where I'm disappointed. The attack effect looks great, but everything else is pretty generic, especially the death explosion.

You've actually managed to create enough tanks and machinery in the same style to make this "generic". Creativity isn't this model's strength.

42/50

Pyramidhe@d - Keberos Tank

Mesh: 13/15
Looks great and has its own style. No complaints.

Animations: 10/10
Fantastic work. I love the spell throw animation and overall it just feels "alive" and detailed.

Looks great, no complaints.

Learn to make your particles fade, damnit. Otherwise it looks good enough and sometimes great.

Creativity: 5/5
I love your style, and the tank itself is very original as well.

41/50

Anarchianbedlam - Prowler
Flawless execution, if only slightly overdetailed. The canisters under the turret could easily be removed, for example.

No complaints, looks fantastic.

Skin: 7/10
No idea which skins you used, but it sure does look nice, if a bit generic.

Effects: 5/5
Best particle work in the entire contest, that's for sure. Everything looks great.

Creativity: 4/5
It's badass and feels original enough.

45/50

Kitabatake - Beta030

Mesh: 13/15
The tank seems awkwardly large. Otherwise it looks great, the cannon, the laser beams, all feel appropriately "magic".

Animations: 8/10
Great work, I love how aggressive its walk looks and the extra spell animation, and the revival animation sounds very useful.

Creative use of standard blizzard textures. I also like that it's not metallic grey, it's a nice change of pace.

Effects 4/5
Nice particle work, nothing mindblowing, but it fits and looks nice.

This is the most creative tank in the contest by far. I haven't seen a tank like this before and it felt very different from the other entries.

42/50

Time-to-die's TTDTank

I'm not sure what to say. Giving this model any number would seem arbitrary, and I can't give anything higher than 10% for any of these criterias. Frankly I have no idea what the hell it is, and the animations are either unexistant or compltely broken. Let's just say this entry is by far the worst.

Mesh: 14/15
You did an outstanding job here. The mesh is really detailed and good-looking, no bugs or glitches that could've been spotted. Eventhough, there are a small quantity of polies that you could have deleted to lower the big polycount and a few polies are crossing over each other in a not-so-nice way.

Animations: 11/10
Absolutely awesome. The engines getting stuck in Stand - 3, flashing lights in Attack, The pistons moving in Walk, the Death animation, full of drama, these are just a few of all the details that make it this awesome. The impact on the animations is perfect, also. Physically and aesthetically perfect.
I believe you have mistaken portrait Stand - 3 with Talk, but I'll forgive that, that portrait is awesome, just swap them to normal.

The wrap is efficient and good-looking, although it repeats itself a bit and lacks some shading.
The pipes, the liquid content and the ventilators are a few examples of good, creative wrap and texture choice.

Performs very well in-game. The details of the animations aren't lost, they draw a lot of attention. Has a noticeable amount of teamcolor and no bugs. There's cool portrait and efficient death/decay animations, that really tell it's dead/decaying.

Astonishingly good effects. From the animated wraps in the vials, to the bullet particles, everything is beatiful. That death animation effects are utterly awesome.

From the base concept to the small details, a huge amount of creative effort was surely put into this.

Overall rating: 48/50

Mesh: 3/15
This mesh is really messed up. Some parts that apparently should go together, lined up, are misplaced. Many faces cross over each other making little sense. Also, polies that can't be seen at all are there.
Seems like you just merged isolated objects, without a previous concept, or anything like that.
At least you kept the objects low-poly.

Animations: 1/10
You have put way too much motion on this tank. It slides far on the ground in some animations very weirdly. The wheels go above and below the ground. And many things to little sense there, as 'Stand - 2', which does none at all.

Skin: 1/10
Why do you like so much those black stripes?
They look just weird, being repeated everywhere. I really don't know what they are supposed to be. Seems like you wrapped one object with it and saved effort on the others. It's confusing also why you made that texture choice for the wheels. Anything would look better. I mean it, anything.
There are some parts where the wrap isn't all this ugly, though, however doesn't make much sense either.

Mechanics: 1/5
It slides too much when attacking and goes considerably under the ground when standing. Also, decay isn't correct...and it has no teamcolor.

There are some particle effects, but I don't like their roughness, nor the way that they spread around too much with the animation movement, not becoming a whole, but random particles in a line.
The model could have more more effects, too, as tread footprints, sounds, ribbons or anything like that.

Creativity: 1/5
It is clear that you didn't make a previous concept before starting, not even in your head. Things are randomly placed in your model, and randomness doesn't necessarily mean originality.

Overall rating: 9/50

Mesh: 11/15
The geometry is well-resolved and bug-free. Polycount is fair for the level of detail. But you got a little problem with round shapes. The bigger they are, the less polies you have put, and it should be the opposite. The big tusks, for instance, have 4 sides, while the small round plates with spikes at the rear have 12 sides.
In the art aspects, the tank looks pleasant to the eye and orderly, except for that missile weapon thing at the top, that stands out too much, breaking its balance.

They are pretty basic and normal and sometimes have too much motion. But it has variation to its attacks and different options of intensity to them with the spell animations. The treads move too fast in walk.

Skin: 9/10
The texture is well-chosen and well-wrapped. Team color looks really interesting and the overall texture applied makes it look pretty warcraft-ish, what's great.
Eventhough, there are some resolution conflicts.

Performs well in-game. Weapons are close to each other, being able to set a suitable projectile launch point, and they look good being shot. Eventhough, texture animation in the treads is too fast and hard-telling from above and death isn't very nice.

Sound events, footprint spawners, particle emmitters, all placed, and placed correctly.

The model was well-thought about, it is clear that you spent some time creating its concept, which turned out to be original and cool, still fitting a lot with WC3. But the similarities to the infernal contraption are quite obvious.

Overall rating: 39/50

Mesh: 9/15
It is ok, but some parts aren't well planned and tend to look weird in-game. I don't see a reason for separating wheels and connecting them by a vertex like that.
It's a bit bulky, too. Could have a more complex shape, for a night elven tank, which should be somewhat artistic and detailed.

Siege Engine anims seem to fit, but that death looks empty.

Skin: 5/10
Could be much better. Texture changes too suddenly and sometimes wrap isn't reasonable, mostly on the clothes texture and the water.
But it is creative, for instance on the wheels.

Looks good in-game.
I just don't like the fact that it has no teamcolor and walk tends to bug, since the wheels aren't radially symmetric.

Smoke comes out of a random spot making little sense, and that particle effect in the attack animation doesn't make so, also. Death could have explosions. But it has a quite nice soundtrack from the Siege Engine.

Coming up with a Night Elven Tank is pretty innovative. What matters here is the model idea itself, though. It isn't much less original, but it has many things ripped off from the Siege Engine, and I don't know where else can I discount you this other than here. (Also, the overall design didn't end up all that creative)

Overall rating: 30/50

Looks very good.

The animations are efficient and good-looking, I'd just complain about death not looking too right physically.

Skin: 10/10
The wrap is perfectly done. That Ubersplat layer was a brilliant idea, I never thought of that. It's clear that you put a lot of effort into the wrap by seeing the big amount of different textures you are using.

Everything works well in-game. But the weapons of this tank are too far away one from another. That makes it hard to set up a projectile launch. And death slides away, being quite weird.

Really nice effects, I can't point out anything that could be missing.

The design of the tank isn't among the most creative, although details show creative effort.

Overall rating: 46/50

It looks nice, but those round things on the treads could have less sides and smoothing groups are quite screwed up.

The scale of the shaking is too heavy. Looks like the dancing tank, sometimes. That cannon bending in stand isn't pleasant to the eye, also.
But they are efficient.

Nice skin. Has a good-looking teamcolor and good details on the metal. Eventhough, some parts, like the rear, don't make much sense and treads tile too many times.

Works well, but when dead it doesn't make it that clear it's there, already dead.

Good effects. It has nice footprint spawners, ubersplat, sound, particle effects. That dust at the attack is really creative, never seen anyone doing this before.

The tank design follows the simple conventions, but it has creative details.

Overall rating: 35/50

Mesh: 11/15
Although mesh looks very good and bug-free, when I look at it I have the feeling that it's about to fall dumbly to the ground. That makes it unbalanced and bulky.

I was unable to point out a single mistake. Nice job at those anims.

Skin: 10/10
Looks very good and parts fit with each other... texture choice was creative.

Performs really well in-game if set up correctly. Launches projects from a single point, has efficient animations, good teamcolor and everything else.

Has nice particle effects, and some sounds, which suffice very well. Adding any more effects wouldn't be really necessary.

The tank explains itself in this criterium.

Overall rating: 46/50

Mesh: 14/15
It looks very good. I specially like the assymmetry that can be found on some details. That's nice.
There's a small issue about smoothing groups there, though. Some faces aren't grouped correctly. And it has quite too many polies in some parts. (ugh I hate to be a poli-nazi)

Animations: 4/10
Although death and attack anims are totally awesome, the animations lack motion. This isn't an all-greased tank crossing an ice rink. There should be impact and some trembling with the ground. Attack is ok, but others are unnacceptably inert.

I like the texture choice, the wrap and the fact it has a nice teamcolor layer in several parts. But in some locations, the face's wrap doesn't fit with the neighbour ones, making it change suddenly.

Lack of motion makes it look like a doodad sometimes... and it is too small scaled. But attack and death are really efficient.

Although you only use particle effects and sounds, they are more than enough. That particle emmiters are really outstanding.

Creativity: 2/5
It is a conventional tank, there aren't many new things that you have done there..

Overall rating: 37/50

Really nice. Full of awesome details.

They are really creative and impressing, but I'd like to see some more conflict between the pieces or the enviroment. Such as things shaking with the wind, or with the motors friction.

I'd love to give you 11/10 with the awesome texture you have made, but some gray tips of the texture appear suddenly at the round shapes, looking weird and a few parts are plain-colored.

Looks pretty good in-game, has a bunch of teamcolor and doesn't seem to give any bugs. Projectiles come out of quite the same point, even with weapons changed.
Needs some customization to make the spell anims work, but that isn't a big deal.

Really nice effects, I can't point out anything that could be missing.

Creativity: 6/5
Creativity is what this tank is all about. From the texture you created, to the clever animations and the uncommon shape. It is really creative in all levels, both the base concept and the details.

Overall rating: 49/50

Mesh: 5/15
Looks pretty random and weird, but doesn't look totally chaotic, has some order and polycount, cylinder sides and such are reasonable.

It was a risky idea of yours to make a camouflated tank. And the animations are well-made. Death isn't very nice, though.

Skin: 2/10
You could've chosen better textures. And wrapped them trying to make more sense than this. Also, The blend material looks bad at the tree. But it seems you didn't have many choices about this, considering you had the blending time for fading the tree. Also, teamcolor doesn't exist, you just added plain Team_Color00 fixed red texture.

Mechanics: 2/5
Kinda works for your purpose. But those blend materials condemn the tank. It isn't reliable while the tree is screwed up. And (accidentally) no teamcolor is a problem in-game. Animations are quite efficient, though.

Effects: 4/5
Spawns footprints, death effects and sounds, from a variety of different units, fitting your concept. That's quite good.

Isn't it creative to make a sneaky tank that conceals among trees?

Overall rating: 24/50

(WILL THE ALMIGHTY's score + HappyCockroach's score)*0.6 + (votes/(total votes))*40 = score

Ikillforeyou: (30 + 35)*0.6 + (12/274)*40 = 40.7518248
Fan: (30 + 30)*0.6 + (5/274)*40 = 36.729927
Mr. Bob: (30 + 37)*0.6 + (13/274)*40 = 42.0978102
chilla_killa: (25 + 9)*0.6 + (4/274)*40 = 20.9839416
debode: (35 + 39)*0.6 + (28/274)*40 = 48.4875912
General Frank: (42 + 46)*0.6 + (70/274)*40 = 63.0189781
Pyramidhe@d: (41 + 49)*0.6 + (26/274)*40 = 57.7956204
anarchianbedlam: (45 + 48)*0.6 + (70/274)*40 = 66.0189781
Kitabatake: (42 + 46)*0.6 + (44/274)*40 = 59.2233577
Time-to-die: (0? + 24)*0.6 + (2/274)*40 = 14.6919708

modeling%2016%20winners.png

4th - Pyramidhe@d
5th - debode
6th - Mr. Bob
7th - Ikillforeyou
8th - Fan
9th - chilla_killa
10th - Time-to-die

Poll | Contest

Level 6
NoobQ: Where do we get to see/test these models?

EDIT: Oh nvrm. I just searched em. >_> They look great guys! Congrats! Almost makes me wanna make a tank game.

Level 3
This contest is on the next level of awesome. its superb. its superbly awesomeness. it's.... its.... EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And good job to all participants!!!! I cant even make any type of tank yet!!!!!

Level 9
Aw, don't kill yourself over it, you at least tried. Now you'll know how to do better in the next modeling contest!

Congrats everyone!

Level 9
I just want to say for future contests like this, an unspecified unit race, there should be some initial encouragement for people to pick a race, think about how that race might think in building a whatever. For instance, how would Zerg bio-engineer a "tank" of sorts? Stronger cell structure, etc, and how would that effect other parts of it's purpose? Well, considering they could bio-engineer anything to specifications, there wouldn't be too many if any flaws given it's bio-essence. Now no point is considering a Night Elf tank; tank made out of wood, eh? Meet fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.