• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Metastasis

Metastasis
In a research sector of the United Security Initiative known only as 198X2, a group of scientists and station personnel are assaulted by an unknown threat. As their colleagues die one by one, they must fight to survive and figure out who is doing this to them, and how to stop it.

The Game
Metastasis is best described as a survival game. At the start, one or several players will be secretly selected as your opponents. You will be placed within a space station in the sector 198X2 and must figure out who is the enemy, and kill him before he kills you and your fellow humans.

Depending on the number of players in the game, there will be one or several enemies.
1-4 players: A lone enemy, who will either be a former researcher mutating rapidly into a cunning adversary, or an alien organism killing off station workers for unknown reasons.
5-9 players: Both the mutant and the alien work to kill your team as well as each other. Only one side can stand victorious.
10-12 players: The mutant and the alien are once again your adversaries, but rumors abound of a cold, metallic killer waiting to rise and annihilate every living thing in the sector.

Humans
To aid you in your fight, you have a myriad of station resources and your own education to assist you.
Being a research group in a theoretically dangerous sector, stations are equipped with state of the art military supplies, including many types of combat suits of varying abilities. You have been trained to use these suits, albeit only against the organisms on the local planet. No doubt you can adapt them to perform other, more murderous tasks. There is also an assortment of defensive and offensive weaponry, from stationary turrets and force shield generators to grenades and mighty fusion bombs.
You also carry your life experience and career with you. There are nine possible careers assigned to you at the beginning of the game, from researchers with various doctorates to a visiting captain of the battlecruiser Swagger to the lowly local janitor. Each career provides a unique benefit and alters your initial equipment and monetary income.

Enemies
The mutant and alien both have strong physical capabilities. Each is capable of overpowering an unequipped human easily. However, they are alone, and hate each other as much as they hate humans. The mutant and the alien both sport an ever changing genetic code- within the span of mere hours they can change their physical and mental makeup drastically. As the game goes on, each will slowly evolve into more powerful forms. Eliminating them early will prevent them from overpowering you with massive strength, dominant mental abilities, or swarms of minion-like organisms.

Infection
The mutant has the ability to evolve a infectious called a prion. By weakening the human body, the prion eventually forces a genetic change in the host, altering it to serve the original mutant and take its form.
The alien also has a similar parasitic microorganism it launches into humans, slowly weakening them and eventually eating them away. By doing so, the parasite grows into a facsimile of the original alien, while retaining traces of the infectee's personality, though twisted into serving the alien leader.

Stations
Featured in the sector are four space stations and a planet situated around a single star. Each station has unique capabilities and can be visited at any time by using one of several types of spaceships or escape pods. The largest station is the U.S.I. Queen Niffy, which boasts a large infrastructure and fleet of spaceships, as well as many curious research labs dedicated to the sector. Other stations include the Arbitress, an advanced sensors station, the Kyo Station, which is a container for the experimental Kyo Cannon spatial artillery platform, an old unused station now scheduled for demolition. These are all situated around the orbit of the local planet Minertha, a terraformed but as yet uncolonized planet. A small military station was set up some time ago, but no one currently occupies it.
A battlecruiser from the U.S.I. fleet is also currently visiting the sector.

Credits
An extensive list of credits for the artwork featured in the game can be found within the F9 menu of the game. Special thanks needs to be given to to Clan Sirs, Catar, DarkLink_Rper, EnragedBullfrog, OmeedESF, Mooglefrooglian, mrzwach, lorg, Aenir, Scruffymurphy, Jarkill, InfernoInfernal, and especially Kodua.

UPDATE (1.8.2):
-See changelog at http://thegoodsirs.net
I don't even anymore

Keywords:
parasite, who'sthealien, mystery, alien, mutant, space
Contents

Metastasis (Map)

Reviews
00:56, 30th Jul 2009 Linaze: Lacks a proper description.
Level 2
didn't read the changelog, but just so you know, I played 3 games in a row on the last .6 version a few days ago. This guy was player pink all 3 times, and it was his first time playing before. He was android all 3 times. Sorry if that's a bug you already fixed, or just a freakish coincidence.
Also I only discovered this map pretty recently, but I haven't played any other map as much as I have this one. I first played this map when it was 1.2.5 I beleive. I truly love it.

However, it does often get ruined by players that do'nt want to do tests or work together, and isntead just TK everyone, making us think they're the alien, we finally TK them, and then at this point the humans have no way of surviving.
If you could like add some kind of penalty, like losing all of your gold if you end up TKing whether on purpose or on accident? It seems silly that there is absolutely no punishment for making such a mistake. Though I do realise certain punishments could reveal they are the alien if it is seen they are not applied to them, which is why I think taking away all the gold would be a good idea. No-one else will be able to see that.

Level 12
Haven't tried multiplayer yet, but I liked the UI, concept, and terrain perfectly resembles a space station.

My only complain is the use of a peasant model, it carries a mining pick which bothers me, lol why would anyone carry a rusted mining pick in a space station.

while we talking about models i would like to say this about the new alien form:

The idea itself is very good and i like it, but the model witch it's using has quite wooden animations and that ruins it for me, i know that there are not many models witch would fit the aliens forms requirement, but i'm sure theres a few others. Possibly the undead lydomir dragon? i dunno but plz find a model with less wooden animations.

I'll gove the links just incase :p

(for dragon model)
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/lindormr-dragon-52050/?prev=search=morph&d=list&r=20

(For undead skin)
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...2038/?prev=search=undead%20dragon&d=list&r=20

Level 12
We're lazy and didn't update the quest log, sorry.

Orbital Bombardment works as follows: The planet has 45000 max mana. Every point of damage dealt to the planet goes to filling that mana instead. When the mana reaches full, it resets and a random spot on the planet is targeted (pinged on minimap). That location will be asploded in a few seconds. This prevents basing and allows you to hit an evolving alien (if you're lucky).
You cannot kill the planet.

Radiation has been proposed for bombarded areas. It is definitely a possibility.

Awesome idea. Did i already posted about making a soundtrack? i don't remember :O
and the prison station too. And Catar, you're a bit... cold in wc3/diablo 2 :O Why don't you show up with your own account? .-.

Level 8
DL'ed, but when I selected in SP, no mini-lobby. Select in LAN, no hosting allowed. Problem, maybe?

Level 4
Awesome idea. Did i already posted about making a soundtrack? i don't remember :O
and the prison station too. And Catar, you're a bit... cold in wc3/diablo 2 :O Why don't you show up with your own account? .-.
Soundtrack: We're not adding custom music to this map. It serves little to no purpose and adds to download time. If you want to listen to fitting music, play it on your machine.

Prison Station: A prison-type sentence for TKing was rejected because it was always the most abused thing in Parasite, and we do not want something similar.

I don't understand what you mean by cold. I am on Battle.net every day, usually for long periods of time. And if I'm not on, my bot SirBot is online 24/7. As for D2, I don't really play it anymore and I use the cdkey for my other bot.
(if you're on west, sorry, I don't go there much. I don't have any friends on there)

Level 10
Man. this is horribly bad. It's gotten to the point where people host games just to team kill, or they will team kill everyone if they're human because they're "sick of being human"

seriously. Find a way to stop the tking. The amount of times I see this game hosted is going down greatly, I now refuse to host because of the people who play this.

damned morons.

-Teld

TKF

TKF

Level 19
It gets the map mods attension if you click on the Mini moderator approval thumbs up and write a 5 words reason why the map should be approved. If many enough thinks it deserves to be approved it will be top priority among the map mods.

Otherwise being normally queued among non-approved maps it will take 1-2 years until this get approved. I guess 600 maps must be approved before the map mods will look at this map.... That might take a while....

Level 4
Funnily enough, it was disapproved for having a description that exceeds several approved maps that merely had a link to a website. (granted, they could have been edited, but still)

Also that comment is months old now. Months in the plural. I worked hard on that nice long description, give me some credit, map mods!

Level 4
this map deserves alot of +rep
but the TEAM-KILL problem really needs to be fixed out quick, its ruining the entire game, i liked the idea about the prison station, instead of making a new station you could just make a prison in one of the other stations. how ever i think its a bad idea to create a "cop" instead it should be the captain, then the alien or the friends of the TEAMKILLER should be able to relief the prisoners, but the captain had a keycard maybe or something that would open the door/controll panel only for him, it should also be possible for the alien to infest the prisoners in the prison, the alien should also be possible to break in by destroying the button (but only the alien) the prisoners items should be removed from him and stored in a small room in the station.
if this idea doesn't pass, then you should seriously consider making it like parasite, with voting, ive played parasite for more then 12 months now and ive never saw any issues with this

Level 5
this map deserves alot of +rep
but the TEAM-KILL problem really needs to be fixed out quick, its ruining the entire game, i liked the idea about the prison station, instead of making a new station you could just make a prison in one of the other stations. how ever i think its a bad idea to create a "cop" instead it should be the captain, then the alien or the friends of the TEAMKILLER should be able to relief the prisoners, but the captain had a keycard maybe or something that would open the door/controll panel only for him, it should also be possible for the alien to infest the prisoners in the prison, the alien should also be possible to break in by destroying the button (but only the alien) the prisoners items should be removed from him and stored in a small room in the station.
if this idea doesn't pass, then you should seriously consider making it like parasite, with voting, ive played parasite for more then 12 months now and ive never saw any issues with this

Problem with a player being the cop is... Well what if the cop was a TKer? ^^

Level 5
I like the idea overall, good thinking. But It looks like the whole new station and adding triggers for various needed operations would take a while and we probably wont see it for a while, untill then I suppose we should discuss it as much as possible and nag the auther untill our fingers bleed.
A voting system for the cop sounds good.

Level 4
I like the idea overall, good thinking. But It looks like the whole new station and adding triggers for various needed operations would take a while and we probably wont see it for a while, untill then I suppose we should discuss it as much as possible and nag the auther untill our fingers bleed.
A voting system for the cop sounds good.

well yea, thats why it have to be simple, making a new type of player will also make the game more complicated, therefore it needs to be the captain who controls the prisoners.
the prison could be in one of the stations that right now cant move, so we dont have to make a whole new station, it could fill out some space in the station that is not used.
then it should be like parasite, where a poll pops up, and you type -yes or -no for putting the guy in prison.

another idea just popped up in my mind, making the TeamKiller a lawless, so everyone could attack him and kill him, with out riskin anything! this might even be easier, but it have to the same with a poll and everything

adding the cop would be nice too but, do we really want to add him to this game? there is allready so much stuff, and its hard enough for new players to know what todo.

-TYRLOP

mib

mib

Level 2
well you should add an item that can REMOVE fusion bomb it should take 1.5 seconds or less for it to be casted

this map rules ^^ i love being alien ^^

Level 4
Fel actually does read the stuff here (I think). A lot of what you mention has been suggested on our official forums before now, however, and responded to there by Fel.

Anything new will be passed to him if he does not comment on it.

Level 1
I joined the Metastasis community to help support this map. It has provided hours of fun - Fel has personally looked into each of my balance inquisitions, bug reports and suggestions with more than enough heart. Apart from being a constantly updated map its also truly fun. It has cured me of the scourge that Whodunnit murder games sucking in the last decade finally to a place where its just fun. 5/5 And approve this map!

Level 1
Incredibly well made survival/mystery/murder game, yo.

My only complaint is that it could be fleshed out a little more.

omg i hate this map it is just stupid to fly around and get TKilled all the time :slp:

I am certain that tk'ing is fel's main concern right now and as seen of the forums people are trying to find ways to prevent tk'ing, without taking the fun out or unbalancing the game.

also this comment is not very constructive saying that the map is stupid, and only noobs will tk players for no reason as everybody knows.

if you dont want to get tk'ed then try to make some friends at the start that will protect you from tk'ers or is it possible that you provoke these people or challenge them? ie:

Tk'er: lol your a noob
you: (says something to provoke a fight eg. you wanna bet?

This will genrally cause a fight ending up with one player or possibly both being team killed.

Level 1
Pretty bad map. The alien forms are mostly vanilla WC3 units and uninspired, and the suits have horrible and unfitting abilities (flame suit has sprint... wtf?). Also boring and a TK fest, nobody works together because you can just camp in a ship the whole game and never contact people.

Level 5
Pretty bad map. The alien forms are mostly vanilla WC3 units and uninspired, and the suits have horrible and unfitting abilities (flame suit has sprint... wtf?). Also boring and a TK fest, nobody works together because you can just camp in a ship the whole game and never contact people.

If you look at it in the most negative possible way like that, yeah it does kinda suck.

Level 9
where can i get that tileset

MPQMaster is your friend.

really, you could use better Alien/Mutant models, cause the actual ones suck. And why do we have to post in the good sirs forums to be heard?

Because many people who enjoy Metastasis and want to comment and report things tend to go there. Because one topic is unorganised, and having your own forums allows you to organise into topics such as bug reports. Because you are not eating enough cookies! >:O

Level 4
All the tilesets in the game were retrieved from wc3c.net (except for the space tile, I think Fel made it himself.)

Level 3
Carrying on your anti-parasite vendetta to the next one oops?
No matter. This game does have some issues, especially the massive ammount of space, and its massive ammount of imports. However, it does do what Parasite 2 never did with space, and its does it pretty damn good. Last time I played was ages ago, and it was a 1v1 (lol) so hopfully they removed afew stupid things, such as press esc to evolve, 1 single damage type and 1 single armor type and some of the boring suits. (oh and the money, never really got that)

Level 5
No matter. This game does have some issues, especially the massive ammount of space, and its massive ammount of imports. However, it does do what Parasite 2 never did with space, and its does it pretty damn good. Last time I played was ages ago, and it was a 1v1 (lol) so hopfully they removed afew stupid things, such as press esc to evolve, 1 single damage type and 1 single armor type and some of the boring suits. (oh and the money, never really got that)

What's wrong with pressing escape to evolve?

Level 1

Not really, P2 was a good game. I only "hated" on it because DSG was a cocksucker and I liked to piss him off. My Metastasis hatred is genuine, however.

Level 4
BSWhunter said:
such as press esc to evolve
What problem is there in using ESC to evolve? It's an available button that has no initial use.
BSWhunter said:
No matter. This game does have some issues, especially the massive ammount of space, and its massive ammount of imports.
In a 1v1 game, this would definitely be too large. In a fullhouse game, this is easily small enough for action to take place (maybe a little smaller would work, but overall it seems fine to me)

What's wrong with using that many imports? Yes it increases download time, but not that significantly, and it creates a much better atmosphere than you could achieve for a space environment using standard Warcraft models and skins.

BSWhunter said:
1 single damage type and 1 single armor type

What's wrong with having one damage type and one armor type? It makes the game less complicated and allows new players to know exactly what their suit does without having to know all the math behind the flat numbers.

BSWhunter said:
some of the boring suits. (oh and the money, never really got that)
All suits in the previous version received a second ability to increase their capabilities. I've seen fairly equal use of every suit in the game except for one (the guard suit, no one tends to use it in my experience)

As for the money system, it's a way of making the game more interesting by limiting your item choice and item spam.

Level 1
What problem is there in using ESC to evolve? It's an available button that has no initial use.
Except, you know, canceling spells and shit?

In a 1v1 game, this would definitely be too large. In a fullhouse game, this is easily small enough for action to take place (maybe a little smaller would work, but overall it seems fine to me)
Once again, you can camp in a ship the whole game and survive. In fact, there are many places you can camp. I found a location on the map where, quite literally, nobody can even TOUCH you because even if the somehow spot you, you are still untargetable.

What's wrong with having one damage type and one armor type? It makes the game less complicated and allows new players to know exactly what their suit does without having to know all the math behind the flat numbers.
It takes out all the fun and strategy of fights. A fight in Metastasis is pretty much mashing A and spells and throwing grenades. No other strategy exists at all.

As for the money system, it's a way of making the game more interesting by limiting your item choice and item spam.
More interesting? Goddamn, how many LSD parties did you go to in college to warp your mind into thinking the money system is even remotely interesting? It does two things in the game: piss people off and promote TKing for cash IDs. People will still spam items, itll just take them longer and they will sit there doing nothing waiting for the money to slowly come out of their ass.

Level 4
Except, you know, canceling spells and shit?
If you're needing to cancel spells when you're evolving, the chances are that you're evolving in a bad location and shouldn't be there. The situation is unlikely.

Once again, you can camp in a ship the whole game and survive. In fact, there are many places you can camp. I found a location on the map where, quite literally, nobody can even TOUCH you because even if the somehow spot you, you are still untargetable.
Camping in a ship is easy to solve, you can just kill the ship. As for part two, prove it.

It takes out all the fun and strategy of fights. A fight in Metastasis is pretty much mashing A and spells and throwing grenades. No other strategy exists at all.
All I can really respond here is that if you don't like the game, don't play it. Nothing stopping you.

More interesting? Goddamn, how many LSD parties did you go to in college to warp your mind into thinking the money system is even remotely interesting? It does two things in the game: piss people off and promote TKing for cash IDs. People will still spam items, itll just take them longer and they will sit there doing nothing waiting for the money to slowly come out of their
ass.
Cash ID system was removed precisely because of TKing. Next time you complain, play the game first.

Responses in bold in the quote, was too lazy to split it up this time.