• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Metastasis

Metastasis
In a research sector of the United Security Initiative known only as 198X2, a group of scientists and station personnel are assaulted by an unknown threat. As their colleagues die one by one, they must fight to survive and figure out who is doing this to them, and how to stop it.

The Game
Metastasis is best described as a survival game. At the start, one or several players will be secretly selected as your opponents. You will be placed within a space station in the sector 198X2 and must figure out who is the enemy, and kill him before he kills you and your fellow humans.

Depending on the number of players in the game, there will be one or several enemies.
1-4 players: A lone enemy, who will either be a former researcher mutating rapidly into a cunning adversary, or an alien organism killing off station workers for unknown reasons.
5-9 players: Both the mutant and the alien work to kill your team as well as each other. Only one side can stand victorious.
10-12 players: The mutant and the alien are once again your adversaries, but rumors abound of a cold, metallic killer waiting to rise and annihilate every living thing in the sector.

Humans
To aid you in your fight, you have a myriad of station resources and your own education to assist you.
Being a research group in a theoretically dangerous sector, stations are equipped with state of the art military supplies, including many types of combat suits of varying abilities. You have been trained to use these suits, albeit only against the organisms on the local planet. No doubt you can adapt them to perform other, more murderous tasks. There is also an assortment of defensive and offensive weaponry, from stationary turrets and force shield generators to grenades and mighty fusion bombs.
You also carry your life experience and career with you. There are nine possible careers assigned to you at the beginning of the game, from researchers with various doctorates to a visiting captain of the battlecruiser Swagger to the lowly local janitor. Each career provides a unique benefit and alters your initial equipment and monetary income.

Enemies
The mutant and alien both have strong physical capabilities. Each is capable of overpowering an unequipped human easily. However, they are alone, and hate each other as much as they hate humans. The mutant and the alien both sport an ever changing genetic code- within the span of mere hours they can change their physical and mental makeup drastically. As the game goes on, each will slowly evolve into more powerful forms. Eliminating them early will prevent them from overpowering you with massive strength, dominant mental abilities, or swarms of minion-like organisms.

Infection
The mutant has the ability to evolve a infectious called a prion. By weakening the human body, the prion eventually forces a genetic change in the host, altering it to serve the original mutant and take its form.
The alien also has a similar parasitic microorganism it launches into humans, slowly weakening them and eventually eating them away. By doing so, the parasite grows into a facsimile of the original alien, while retaining traces of the infectee's personality, though twisted into serving the alien leader.

Stations
Featured in the sector are four space stations and a planet situated around a single star. Each station has unique capabilities and can be visited at any time by using one of several types of spaceships or escape pods. The largest station is the U.S.I. Queen Niffy, which boasts a large infrastructure and fleet of spaceships, as well as many curious research labs dedicated to the sector. Other stations include the Arbitress, an advanced sensors station, the Kyo Station, which is a container for the experimental Kyo Cannon spatial artillery platform, an old unused station now scheduled for demolition. These are all situated around the orbit of the local planet Minertha, a terraformed but as yet uncolonized planet. A small military station was set up some time ago, but no one currently occupies it.
A battlecruiser from the U.S.I. fleet is also currently visiting the sector.

Credits
An extensive list of credits for the artwork featured in the game can be found within the F9 menu of the game. Special thanks needs to be given to to Clan Sirs, Catar, DarkLink_Rper, EnragedBullfrog, OmeedESF, Mooglefrooglian, mrzwach, lorg, Aenir, Scruffymurphy, Jarkill, InfernoInfernal, and especially Kodua.

UPDATE (1.8.2):
-See changelog at http://thegoodsirs.net
I don't even anymore

Keywords:
parasite, who'sthealien, mystery, alien, mutant, space
Contents

Metastasis (Map)

Reviews
00:56, 30th Jul 2009 Linaze: Lacks a proper description.
Level 4
Err...

Blackrockorc said:
2/5

could be improved. should be more user friendly. compared to symbiote and other "who is" games like parasite. this is most beautiful; with that same comparason its the hardest to learn.

what it needs is one of those phrase clauses since 90% of ppl dont read loading screens. something like -help.
I don't really understand where you're coming from here. Most people I play with find the game very easy to learn, and very helpful. Furthermore, your comment regarding the loading screen does not apply to our game at all, since there is no info on the loading screen beyond the website link (for the reason you mentioned, no less!)
deathreaven said:
My only real issue is that on the planet, when those strange mammoth creatures (I forget the name. Something from a squiggle?) spawned, some spawned inside the radar station and that supply area father below it. It might have been intentional, but it's a little annoying that the 2 places get utterly destroyed by the creatures. Most creatures don't open doors. The planet could have been bigger though. It's as big as the Queen Niffy. The planet is also destroyable? I killed it with 2 raptors. The pirate ship is a good idea, but I never noticed a stations health ever go up after an attack.
Slugglies (which evolve to Snoeglays) killing vendors on the planet is intentional. All creatures can open any door in the map, since they're automatic doors.
As previously mentioned, the planet being bigger slowed the game down too much, so we limited the area. In all of our versions, you cannot possibly kill the planet. Even the Kyo Cannon can only get it down to 3/4 health, and only for a few milliseconds.

Level 4
Well, that was what it was in older versions. The ability for it to fire at the planet may have been removed by Fel at some point without telling me. Either way, the planet has maximum health and regeneration. There simply is no way for it to be killed.

Level 12
I dont think that its able to easily be killed even with cheats.
Guess that is an improvement...

I still prefer this map over other of its genre.

Level 10
This is a great map, I really enjoy the feel of the terrain, however it just doesn't seem to have as much polish as parasite does, also there isn't enough extras on the different zones, i.e. Oxygen Generator, Power Generator, Cannons, you know, stuff that adds more variety, entertainment, and ways to play.

I also believe the alien's forms tend to be not very fun to play, they dont have enough ways to mess with your opponents, the "roar" ability is lame and useless, and some of the forms are ridiculously O.P. like the one form that can enter space at any time, there's just no catching that guy, not only that, in 1.1.4 none of the ships could target it while it was in space. Not sure if you fixed that (since it means the alien was invulnerable while in space which I can only assume is a bug, seeing as no maker in their right mind would knowingly imbalance a game that much)

all in all I'd give the game a 3/5, good with potential but not far along enough yet for me to play on a regular basis.

you need to add more things for the players to do (wandering around just waiting for something to happen is no fun) maybe make more opportunities to discover who the enemy is with every upgrade the enemy obtains, make it easier for both sides as the game progresses. It just feels like the game is currently lacking.

Level 4
Teldrassil: Yes, it needs more content in the stations. However, I don't know of a single person who honestly liked the Oxygen Generator feature.
Yes, the alien in space being untargettable was a bug and not intended, and is fixed in newer versions.
I disagree on the alien being less fun, I think it has far more interesting forms. While the mutant's forms are all mainly physical ability based, the alien has the fun abilities like warping back in time ten seconds, muting people, and causing chaos in general.

As for waiting for something to happen, if you find yourself in this situation, cause something to happen!

Level 12
I was teamkilled at Arbitress for no reason...
What im saying is: There are people who are labelled as 'gay' on the move.

Level 9
Oxygen generator is nice Catar, but don't add it, it would be a real copy of Parasite 2 -_-

There are not enough ways to play the game, i mean as a marine (90% of the games ^^), you should focus on that. I 've never been alien but the spells he can get seem to be very fun, and that's a good point (no speaking, but well it can be spammed, changing form etc... i really enjoy this kind of stuff). You need more items and counter items !

Level 12
Like many others excellent authors, you guys already did a anti-update version.Congratulations, and thanks. Seekah of truth, if you dont like the kyo cannon, just destroy it every game. It's funnier. And don't be sorry if alien controls swagger and kyo is destroyed. I kinda agree with teldrassil and deathreaven. When there will be a moon? And again, it will be destroyable by kyo? And though defunct station IS technically (i forgot the word) not useful, you could add something to it. Maybe a prototype hidden in the station that no one found and it is waiting to be revealed. And the scientists got killed by government agents. Or by the prototype itsef. Could be a weapon. Or a vaccine to make one powerful as alien or mutant itselfs. Or any other ideas you have.

Level 1
Found a "bug"
The "Hero" to select own unit is killable ^.^ pls fix it make it invulnerable

And could you give all units a "fist" spell if you got no suit so you can maybe damage the ennemy and maybe slow them a bit down (useful if someone wants to tk you at start)

Level 9
Something i find boring is the fact that 50% players die in 10-15 min and there is no point of being the manipulator alien (too long to evolve this way, teamkillers, mutant and his spawns etc... would have already kill players). You should make it a Tier 2 evolution and less weak (25 dmg melee lol o_0).
Also the mutant evolve VERY FAST, too fast i guess...

Level 3
Yea, I know now, guess I was just really angry at one game that happened. Blah! this game is so hard to host now when there are like 20+ spam bots that join ur game.. stupid THR or whoever is behind this. B.net, can you please help us out for once and prevent spamming in game menu??

Last edited:
Level 9
4 hits is unreasonable, do you have a replay? There is no way you can die in 4 hits when the damage is 47-47 and you have 300 hp as an unsuited peasant.

His skill can at most remove 25% of your current hp IF he is very very far away.

There are plenty of items to avoid being tked, such as the stimulants and healing packs, not to mention a suit of your own.

I advise finding these items ASAP at the start of a game since you do have a grace period of at least 10 seconds before anyone has had enough time to even see anyone.

Level 9
The worst map ever i play it like 5 times first time i was allien and get killed when i try to dock a ship whit a human inside it. Other 4 games host leave becouse he was team killed. Once i was muttant and when i click evolve i evolve into somthing that was with 30 dmg and 200hp and i get killed at the second when a human see me becouse i was unable to revert to human form. When i die i was unable to write anyhing that to be seen by others but there are 2 players that were actualy dead and still talking somehow. Team killing is anoyng. Rate 0.00001/5 this map just sux with the balance and the team killing :thumbs_down::thumbs_down::thumbs_down: Vote for rejection mutants and alliens are 2 weak 2 be true

Level 12
oh, a nano cam. That is good, but not good enough. Oh well. And say whatever you want, i still think that this fist idea is just great. And i have to post in the meta's forums to be heard? and again, Is the moon going to be made after all? Will kyo be able to kill it? And REALLY, TK ruins any game. And on these genre, tk's happens often...the CASH id thing is pretty good, but still, that just gives MORE reasons to TK someone... which is bad. Once, i was a alien, for my first time. I was loving it, and i did nothing wrong. BUT, i was preparing for full chaos... but then, someone appeared, shouted die, and killed me for cash.( i still hadn't any suit or things, i started at niffy and i was still grabing things around: bombs, nanos, etc...i was getting a suit when he killed me) i mean, wtf? ._. You could give some penalty for TKing... (though that would kinda be a copy to para 2 ¬¬)
oh well. Just read this and i will be happy.

Level 10
@Catar (sorry for the long response time lol) The biggest problem with causing something to happen is the main thing you can cause is team killing, and that's just lame.

The biggest problem with these sort of games are the people who play them that just go around tking everyone they see for no reason.

Also, the android is way too fricken huge, it def should not be that big, considering it burst out of your human body and everything, other than that this game has quickly replaced parasite for me and I look forward to playing future versions with friends.

Oh yeah, you should def add a way to disarm bombs. kinda annoying when an entire game's work of setting up turrets goes up in smoke with one bomb.

Edit: I was reading Sasuh's description on what could be in the defunct station and it got me thinking, you know how one player is the medic that can test people's blood with the needle? well, maybe if he tested either the alien or mutants blood and he discovers it's theirs, instead of revealing their identity, he can inject it into himself to become another alien / mutant host/spawn. That could be cool, a lot of small events like that for all the characters would make it more enjoyable and you'd have more to do.

Level 5
Absolute bets game of it's genre and has the potential to be far better with added items and more random events/places to visit.
I'd defintly like to see more base items added, possibly barricades? They'd be a good, cheap alternative to force shields and would allow for more accurate placement of defences, or posssibly just laser fences/gates.
The ability to make some kind of mini-instant force shield that protected for a short time would be useful aswell. They could be used for either a quick defence on an iminent danger or to keep someone undesirable locked in place.
The defence drones on the niffy defintly need buffing up, or atleast allow both to be controlled at once.
To be honest theres so much racing through my head that I wont be able to put it all down right now but I'm gonna give this a 5/5.

Level 2
i think the map is great!
i dont think bombs need to be deactivated unless theres huge risk involved...
Alien and Mutant ARE BALACENCED you guys just dont know how to use them
and just ban tkers simple as that
i did find a few bugs how ever
one of my friends found a glitch (which he wont tell me how he did it) that allowed him to talk out side of the ghost chat and with other players AFTER he died
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kyo could do with some defences... not strong but something to keep swagger at bay long enough for another blast
some more basing items could be cool to maybe like a hp regenerator item that can be dropped
I mean you have a whole shop devoted for bases but only about a third of the space is used add some stuff! lightning suit is a bit OP against enemy's with high HP like Droid and Overlord/Overmind
i recomend nerfing drone attack event down a bit they are deadly this version and can kill basicly all the stations it takes a quit a bit of raptors to bring them down
big fan of the map and you dont have to listen to a thing i say ^^

Level 4
Great Map ! 5/5
I don't like parasite but metastasis is really fun !
Just a question : -> how to counter players who are massing turrets ?
(in their ship or on a base)

Level 5
Great Map ! 5/5
I don't like parasite but metastasis is really fun !
Just a question : -> how to counter players who are massing turrets ?
(in their ship or on a base)

Use a fusion bomb, and if they have shields up throw some grenades.

That ghost chat can be over-riden with a simple whisper message aswell.
There should be someway to repair explorers, perhaps a robotic unit/item you could buy?
I know most of the bugs were fixed in the latest version, 1.3.6, but I believe there is still a bug where if someone is infected and killed (thus turning into a spawn) while their suit is equipped it causes them to lose that suit.

Level 2
Good map. 9\10
Better than parasite 2 but when I played, I get more fun in parasite than your map.
Models are good enough, map has done quite well.

Level 1
ilightning suit is a bit OP against enemy's with high HP like Droid and Overlord/Overmind
i recomend nerfing drone attack event down a bit they are deadly this version and can kill basicly all the stations it takes a quit a bit of raptors to bring them down
1. That's really only time when Lightning is useful.

2. We know about the drones; they went from shite to OP. And they're all able to die to 2 raptors if you use the rockets.
There should be someway to repair explorers, perhaps a robotic unit/item you could buy?
I know most of the bugs were fixed in the latest version, 1.3.6, but I believe there is still a bug where if someone is infected and killed (thus turning into a spawn) while their suit is equipped it causes them to lose that suit.
1. It's been suggested on the forums for more ways to repair explorers besides docking and waiting.

2. I've never had that bug in any version.

Level 4
@Teldrassil: We're actually removing turret spam. Your "game spent setting up turrets" was never meant to happen, and we're trying to discourage camping however we can.

I'm kind of slow at checking Hive, sorry. I have relatives over right now, and Fel is gone for a week, so no updates for a while.

Level 7
WOW this gets better each day, keep on it Catar. I remenber Parasite 1 and 2 used to rule this kind of maps... now with this and the other jewel called symbiote... Parasite will become a relic of the past if DSG doesnt hurry up.

My rate 9/10

Level 4
I've been playing parasite a lot so I decided to try this .. Unfortunately i was in a bad game with people teamkilling eachother saying It's him.. so I was killed and left lol
After some time I wanted to give it another shot and now I'm playing it at least 5x a day lol ^^

Level 4
@shadow2632
Thanks for the praise, but really I just field questions for Fel, host the website, and run the hostbot. Fel deserves all the praise for the game.

Wish the moderator would come back to this, their comment about lack of description is getting really old now...

Level 9
Very, very old. I believe it is a two week thing, or else 3 or 4 weeks before they re-review a map. Although, considering it has 1600+ downloads, you'd think that it would be modded by now.

Level 10
removing turret spam? yeah that could work too, but I still think an item for disarming bombs would be much appreciated.

Also the biggest problem with these games is the amount of tking there is. It'd be nice if you could find a way to remove that, I.e. make it so you need to test the alien / mutant before you can attack them (unless they're in alien / mutant form of course) make it so alien can "infest" players without infecting them, (make it so in blood test it shows they're alien, even though they aren't) Iunno, just an idea. If you find a way to make players stop being retards who tk everyone just to ruin the other player's time, you will cure the genre of survival maps lol.

I know the suggestion may not be very good but it was more for the idea. The only reason I wouldn't play this game is because of the other players who tk for no reason.

-Teld

also, not sure if I said this, but make the android smaller. fo srsly.

Level 12
As i said before, i agree with you and Thick Armor. About more itens, more events... more action ya know? Something to... temper the game. And Catar? There is a guy in your forums named Lobisomen. Me here, Lobisomen there. And you should REALLY hear ALL he says. I don't play the game as much as him, but i can still help a lot. With him, i discovered lots of bugs (that for sure he posted there) made the evolution chart log of both alien and mutant, and add a LOT of incredible suggestions. Again, since i don't play this much, i don't have much ideas or suggestions as him, but every time he needs help on something, i make what he though in something better. You said you guys are going to add moon to Minertha... he said some ideas for it. Things on the moon, oxygen system, this kind of things. And ALSO, Teldrassil, we had a AWESOME idea for the TKING problem, which he already posted (he had, but i perfected it). It is not just a damn cell or something. It is a whole prison station. And also a job perfect for it: kinda a Police, that have a card that can arrest AND free ppl, and other suggestions. A suggestion that he didn't posted, but it is good, is that you use a item for arresting: that Soul Orb, or something, from wc3 roc. Final orc mission, Thrall gets a item so that he can bring Grom to that ritual, in that circle, without hurting him at all: locking his soul inside the soul orb, which floats around him while he is coming back. If Thrall dies, the soul is freed. The Idea is that it uses the same system: the police use his item to arrest the tker, or another infractor ( i don't know the word right now, i think it is that one) of law (depending on the games, on a roleplay for example, there could be a whole system of laws) and he can be intercepted to free that prisoner. Though no necessarily killing, you could make it so the Police can choose to free them or not, so that if he is threatened, he just handle the bandit and run away. Then, if he arrives with success at the prison, he just stand in the front of the cell, and the guy is locked up. Also, there will propably be a bug that you will be able to arrest someone in his true form, or even the android. Make it so that it does not happens.

Also.. remember what i said for the roleplay thing? You could add a sophisticated system of laws, on which the players vote for the penalty of thy prisoner. He could only be sentenced to death on his 2nd crime or something, because you know, most players on metastasis aren't merciful. Poor guy would be condemned to a eletric chair on a little robbery... he would likely be decapitated (or worse) on a homicide case. Here is some suggestions, and a supplement to the wonderful Lobisomen prison station suggestion. Just check on the forums, and you'll see it. Hopefully a new version is coming soon enough... i can't wait for the moon. And AGAIN, will be moon be destroyable? Will Kyo Cannon be able to shoot it out?

Level 4
Fel makes the map, I just host the website and spread the map when he releases new versions. I don't have authority to accept or reject suggestions, that's his job.

Level 2
very good map, addicting and never ceases to bore me 4/5

only bad thing is turret/shield spam, its annoying when your the alien, and humans camp around shops so ur unable to destroy shields

Level 12
then tell him about those, Catar?

EDIT: By the way, a soundtrack would be AWESOME too. Most games are good, but when there is a matching soundtrack, you have a sensation of climax or something.
it is great. Like.. Phase Killer for example. Moonlight Sonata is already good, but with that game? It is PERFECT! I could play that game only to hear the music...

Last edited:
Level 4
We're lazy and didn't update the quest log, sorry.

Orbital Bombardment works as follows: The planet has 45000 max mana. Every point of damage dealt to the planet goes to filling that mana instead. When the mana reaches full, it resets and a random spot on the planet is targeted (pinged on minimap). That location will be asploded in a few seconds. This prevents basing and allows you to hit an evolving alien (if you're lucky).
You cannot kill the planet.

Radiation has been proposed for bombarded areas. It is definitely a possibility.